Thread: [deck] bears

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

[deck] bears

This deck started out as a joke. Initially it was a fun "Bear Tribal" idea, but it wasn't going to be your typical vial build, I decided to play with the two strengths that bears offered : Threshold & token generation, by cards such as Sylvan Library + Words of Wilding and Werebear/Grizzly Fate. So it started out as more of a G/W/R tempo thresh using cards like drop of honey, swords, & firespout to control the board till I could setup my finishers and counterattack which sometimes led to victory; othertimes it would be just a tad too late. But all in all, I was impressed at how effective it worked going 2-2 several times, even 3-1 one week with such a janky deck lol.
    I realized the deck had some potential, it was fun, but in this format could not hold its own to Goyf and bigger/better creatures for their buck. With all the permanent types I used to joke about helping my opponent's Goyf kill me faster, till I finally just sorta gave up and realized.. if you can't beat 'em join 'em. After changing the creature base and altering a few spell choices I actually sorta liked the deck a lot, sorta a cross between tempo thresh & Zoo in a way.

=========
    LEGACY BEARS
    =========

G/W

Land (17)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    4 Savannah
    4 Forest
    2 Mutavault

Artifacts (4)
    4 Lotus Petal

Enchantments (11)
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Words of Wilding
    3 Drop of Honey
    4 Rancor

Sorcery (2)
    2 Harmonize

Instant (10)
    4 Swords to Plowshare
    3 Berserk
    3 Sigil Blessing

Creatures (12)
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Quasali Pridemage
    4 Werebear

Planeswalkers (3)
    3 Garruk, Wildspeaker

------------------------
    SIDEBOARD (15)
    4 Choke
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Ghostly Prison

The playstyle is really simple. Basically, just abuse threshold & permanent types very fast... you got the whole shebang (artifacts, walkers, enchantments, lands, etc.) to make your creatures big. Drop a drop of honey to eat their creatures up each turn while powering through theirs. Rancor, Sigil, Berserk become quick finishers once you get in kill range. Your Goyf can get big really quickly just on its own, but combining Rancor and Exalted and you've got yourself a tramping bad@ss.
    Cards like Garruk, Library (+WoW), Harmonize are there for their card advantage alone, you tend to drop your hand fast so it's to keep yourself going. Garruk can be a finisher on his own... either letting you multitask right off the bat into an overrun, or just pumping out 3x Beasts, combined with Sigil you'll finish them quick. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Your life total: 4, My life total: 20
    Jul 2008

Re: [deck] bears

Hi! I've been playing a deck similar to this one for the past three years. I have tested it extensively against every matchup and with every possible mathematical configuration. I'm not sure how much I like this list. I think it needs some moderate tweaking. I'd go for something like this:

-4 Windswept Heath
    -3 Wooded Foothills
    -4 Savannah
    -4 Forest
    -2 Mutavault
    -4 Lotus Petal
    -4 Swords to Plowshares
    -3 Berserk
    -3 Sigil Blessing
    -4 Tarmogoyf
    -4 Qasali Pridemage
    -4 Werebear
    -3 Garruk Wildspeaker

And probably add these cards:

+2 Plains
    +1 Island
    +4 Tundra
    +4 Flooded Strand
    +3 Windswept Heath
    +3 Wasteland

+4 Serra Avenger
    +4 Mother of Runes
    +4 Weathered Wayfarer
    +1 Knight of the White Orchid
    +2 Stoneforge Mystic
    +2 Jotun Grunt
    +4 Fathom Seer

+3 Daze
    +2 Spell Pierce
    +4 Brainstorm
    +4 Force of Will
    +3 Aether Vial
    +4 Swords to Plowshares
    +2 Umezawa's Jitte

....But in all honesty, I don't think a card like lotus petal is really going to work in this deck. The way the card is designed it is only optimal in decks that are of a combo nature, which this is obviously not. I feel that berserk is also a card that is horribly misplaced here and that the interaction with rancor is not worth it with the amount of STP and its kin riding in the format. If you are looking for a GW deck I'd look to something like GW Survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The first time I heard of the site, I went to www.thesource.com and was greeted with a full-page picture of some thug pointing a gun at me. I immediately realised that Legacy was the most hardcore format ever.

Apr 2007
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by FoulQ View Post
    -4 Swords to Plowshares

+4 Swords to Plowshares
    You silly person!

On topic:
    Lotus Petal does seem out of place here. I would rather run something like Noble Hierarch to help you accelerate into your four drops, while at the same time adding a little bit of extra damage.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatzman View Post
    You silly person!

On topic:
    Lotus Petal does seem out of place here. I would rather run something like Noble Hierarch to help you accelerate into your four drops, while at the same time adding a little bit of extra damage.
    Heirarch sounds good! Thanks I'll give it a try for the tourney tomorra'. Lemme know anything else I should switch
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Thread Information