Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krak Addict - U/W Venser, Game Shaper Savant

Re: Krak Addict - U/W Venser, Game Shaper Savant

Those are all good suggestions and like I said, in the edited version of my post, I agree that they are similar enough that we can share lots of interesting ideas.

I shied away from Mangara because of my somewhat negative experience with him in DnT but he is a very powerful effect and I'm playing all the pieces already so it seems silly not to try him. After starting this thread I've dropped the Standstills because they seemed like easiest thing to cut. I've currently gone:

-3 Standstill. +2 Jace Mind Sculptor, +1 Swords to Plowshares.

But I can see the wisdom in adding in the 4th Vial and perhaps the 4th Spellstutter Sprite as well over Jace. I was thinking Jace would replace Standstill because I still want a way to draw cards. With Cannonist out Jace goes from great to nuts. His +2 ability alongside Clique is a great soft-lock. That and he has massive control over the board from a creature standpoint. The more I think about the better and better Jace Mind Sculptor seems to be in my particular build.

I was wondering just how often you guys get to bounce your wizards around. If it isn't more than 4-6ish times a game, perhaps screwing the mana base over and limiting your options just to include the 6 relevant lands isn't the answer.

The key interaction is Karakas with Vesner, Mangara and Clique. Could you possibly use Momentary Blink for the same effect?

If you keep Karakas, it acts like a Plains so there isn't a problem with colour requirement as 4 Non blue sources isn't too many. Then, by getting rid of some/all of the Riptides, you make it possible to play Patron Wizard or even splash a third colour for Confidant/Lavamancer/sideboard options.

I think 3 Karakas is the right number for that particular land because, as you said, it is the core enabler of the shenanigans. Running only 20 lands I find that you've gotta be very careful about the colourless sources you run to make sure you get the WW or UU costs when you need them. I feel like running 4 Wasteland is pretty important so I'm only running a maximum 16 coloured sources. Riptide Lab only gets good late game when you have tons of mana available to both activate it and then re-play your Spellstutter Sprite or whatever. I've kept it to 1 for that reason and I'm still struggling if I want it to be Academy Ruins instead. Another option...though I'm not sure I would count this in the Land slot is Tolaria West to get Karakas, but with Brainstorm I get at least one almost every game. Karakas gets Wastelanded very quickly in game 2 so the power to get more of them seems good.

I think Morningstar had the right idea with his Vedalken Mastermind - more enablers. Momentary Blink is a great, great card and is in fact in my top 3 favorite cards in the game. I like it but I think I'm going to test Jace Mind Sculptor as a bounce enabler, top-deck wrecker and Brainstorm...it seems to really fit my overall strategy very very well. Jace gets online earlier than Riptide Lab and does so much more even if the Bounce ability is at sorcery speed. I'm not as concerned about that in my build since I'm running 4 Mother of Runes as a very important part of the strategy.

If I were to add a colour I think I'd be adding Green for Tarmogoyf (look! we made it to the second page of the thread before mentioning Goyf!) but more interestingly Gaddock Teeg. But before that I think Mangara deserves more testing.

Patron Wizard is a card I'm sure Morningstar will have something say about. It's pretty damn exciting with Cannonist out!

Gaddock is an 'Adviser' (WHich I know isn't as much of an issure for you) but he also screws up Jace and FOW for you.
    Pridemage might get a look in if Green were splashed.

Yah you're right! Teeg is a complete Nombo in this deck....

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    I was thinking Jace would replace Standstill because I still want a way to draw cards. With Cannonist out Jace goes from great to nuts. His +2 ability alongside Clique is a great soft-lock. That and he has massive control over the board from a creature standpoint. The more I think about the better and better Jace Mind Sculptor seems to be in my particular build.
    With Canonist and Mother, I can see Jace being better in your build than mine.
    Still, I personally wouldn't run Jace in a deck without board sweepers (particularly Firespout) as otherwise I feel it will just get steamrolled by aggro decks such as Goblins, Merfolks or Zoo.
    I think Jace is at its best in Supreme Blue, because it has a huge synergy with both Counterbalance and Firespout, but even there I usually only want to play Jace when I'm either winning, or at least just 1 creature behind.
    But by all means, try it out and see how it plays with your build.

Quote Originally Posted by arebennian View Post
    I was wondering just how often you guys get to bounce your wizards around. If it isn't more than 4-6ish times a game, perhaps screwing the mana base over and limiting your options just to include the 6 relevant lands isn't the answer.

The key interaction is Karakas with Vesner, Mangara and Clique. Could you possibly use Momentary Blink for the same effect?

If you keep Karakas, it acts like a Plains so there isn't a problem with colour requirement as 4 Non blue sources isn't too many. Then, by getting rid of some/all of the Riptides, you make it possible to play Patron Wizard or even splash a third colour for Confidant/Lavamancer/sideboard options.

In practice I don't often bounce around wizards more than 4-6 times in a game, but that is only because my opponents concede once they see they are locked out. They wouldn't concede if my bounce effects were limited, so I really need to have a permanent bounce source in play to win most games.
    Furthermore, Blink would make me an easier prey for CounterTop, which is precisely where I don't want to go.
    The main reason I play both Karakas and Riptide is Wasteland: I really need a bounce land out, but once my opponent knows my deck, he'll save the Wastelands for the bounce lands, meaning I have to have more bounce lands than he has Wastelands if I'm to have any chance of securing the game.
    Last but not least, without Riptide Lab, I could not use Spellstutter Sprite or Sower of Temptation recurringly.

I love Patron Wizard but it really doesn't fit very well in this deck.
    The deck focuses on bounce shenanigans, and usually only has a creature or two in play at any given time, which is hardly enough to make Patron Wizard exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    If I were to add a colour I think I'd be adding Green for Tarmogoyf (look! we made it to the second page of the thread before mentioning Goyf!) but more interestingly Gaddock Teeg. But before that I think Mangara deserves more testing.
    Yes, green is probably the best third color for your build, mainly because of Knight of the Reliquary, which can fetch Karakas or Wasteland in addition to being huge.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...pmad10/day1#15

Not to derail the tread but I just thought I would point out this deck.
    It totally avoids the bouncing of wizards for Patron wizard tricks, but I thought some of the synergies could perhaps be incorperated or obsolete the current ones.

I've never thought of the interaction between Patron + StoneyBrook. While it isn't Counterbalance, it is interesting as it also acts as a token producer, and with just those two creatures on the board you are looking +3mana to cast to any spell you desire.

I don't know if Winter Orb is actually needed or not, or Green with Blue's library manipulation, and I don't know why he went for Call over Survival even with it's G requirement.

SO yes, just food for thought. Don't shoot the messenger!

Thread Information