Thread: Elsewhere Flask + City of Traitors

Elsewhere Flask + City of Traitors

Elsewhere Flask
    City of Traitors

If I activate Elsewhere Flasks ability, making all my lands basic islands, then I put a land into play, does City of Traitors still get sacrificed?

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Re: Elsewhere Flask + City of Traitors

It does not get sacrificed because it doesn't have that ability or any abilities except T: Add .

Follow up question then, with the new rules, can I tap City of Traitors for 2 colorless mana before popping the Elsewhere Flask then lay a new land down, tap that new land and use 3 mana to cast a spell?

What new rules do you mean?

Yes, you can do that; your second question is the same as your first.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I was referring to the new rules with emptying mana pools every stage and phase. I was not sure if what I suggested was still allowed under the new rules.

EDIT: Thank you for the replies!

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

You can do it as long as you don't try to go into another step or phase. There is no reason why you would have to, though, so it should always work in your favor. Refer to the comprehensive rules if you want a list of the different steps and phases.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I am still a bit confused by this interaction, or rather by Elsewhere Flask.

What happens to Sapseep Forest, if I name "Forest" with Elsewhere Flask? Will it lose it's lifegain ability as well?

If yes, why? My thinking is that it is already that type, and even if it can become that type "again", Sapseep Forest shows, that a land can have a basic land type AND a non-mana ability.

If lands would also become basic lands, it would be more understandable, but they don't (otherwise Flask could protect against Wasteland, which doesn't work afaik).

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    I am still a bit confused by this interaction, or rather by Elsewhere Flask.

What happens to Sapseep Forest, if I name "Forest" with Elsewhere Flask? Will it lose it's lifegain ability as well?

If yes, why? My thinking is that it is already that type, and even if it can become that type "again", Sapseep Forest shows, that a land can have a basic land type AND a non-mana ability.

If lands would also become basic lands, it would be more understandable, but they don't (otherwise Flask could protect against Wasteland, which doesn't work afaik).
    Well... The rulings text for Elsewhere Flask (taken straight from Gatherer) answers this question:

5/1/2008 Lands you control will have the mana ability of the basic land type you choose (for example, Forests can tap to produce green mana) and will lose all other innate abilities they had.

The last part states it loses all other innate abilities it had so yes, it will lose its lifegain ability. In this case "why" is simply because the rules say so.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Well... The rulings text for Elsewhere Flask (taken straight from Gatherer) answers this question:

5/1/2008 Lands you control will have the mana ability of the basic land type you choose (for example, Forests can tap to produce green mana) and will lose all other innate abilities they had.

The last part states it loses all other innate abilities it had so yes, it will lose its lifegain ability. In this case "why" is simply because the rules say so.
    Specifically, 305.7:

If an effect sets a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text, its old land types, and any copy effects affecting that land, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Setting a land’s subtype doesn’t add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Specifically, 305.7:
    Thanks. That's clear.

May 2015
    PDX

The better question is perhaps: why you don't play Sundial of the Infinite with your city, lay down your next land, tap it for mana and end the turn?

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Forum shows just the start of the title, and it says "Elsewhere Flask and City..." the rest being hidden. I was 100% sure that thsi will be some booze joke with Elsewhere Flask and City in a Bottle.
    Interesting interaction!

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Forum shows just the start of the title, and it says "Elsewhere Flask and City..." the rest being hidden. I was 100% sure that thsi will be some booze joke with Elsewhere Flask and City in a Bottle.
    Interesting interaction!
    Of all the ways to kill a basic mountain, this might be the best.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Of all the ways to kill a basic mountain, this might be the best.
    City states originally printed, Mountain was a re-print in AN, so it is not affected.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zalren View Post
    I was referring to the new rules with emptying mana pools every stage and phase. I was not sure if what I suggested was still allowed under the new rules.
    I can't find any rules changes regarding this. I'd be interested if he's referring to X years ago whenever that was. Certainly you can still float mana (within a given phase or step)

Basically, I'm posting to make sure there aren't mana changes that I can't find; if there are I hope someone will correct me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I can't find any rules changes regarding this. I'd be interested if he's referring to X years ago whenever that was. Certainly you can still float mana (within a given phase or step)

Basically, I'm posting to make sure there aren't mana changes that I can't find; if there are I hope someone will correct me here.
    106.4. When an effect produces mana, that mana goes into a player's mana pool. From there, it can be used to pay costs immediately, or it can stay in the player's mana pool. Each player's mana pool empties at the end of each step and phase.

Is what was being referred to. Yes, you can float within steps. Still.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post

There were changes in M10.

Quoting Bryant Cook:

players could no longer float mana through the upkeep into the draw step. This meant that Mystical Tutor became much worse since it could no longer find Ad Nauseam, then during the upkeep – break Lion’s Eye Diamond and then cast the black instant during the draw step.

Thread Information