Thread: [Rise of the Eldrazi] Set Discussion Thread

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

[Rise of the Eldrazi] Set Discussion Thread

So we have first card from the new set:
    Kozilek, Butcher of Truth 10
    Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (M)
    When you cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, draw four cards.
    Annilihator 4 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices four permanents.)
    When Kozilek is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
    12/12
    6/248
    Go-go, colorless non-artifacts!
    Last edited by eq.firemind; 03-01-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Banned

Feb 2010
    brasil

Re: [Rize of the Eldrazi] Set Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    So we have first card from the new set:

Go-go, colorless non-artifacts!

wow , I've been waiting for the rize of the eldrazi spoiler since like world wake was 2/3rds spoiled.

WOW. That card is just...wow.

Even if you somehow cheat him into play, you get a 12/12 that eats half your opponent's board when it attacks. And if it gets countered when you pay the ten, you still draw four cards.

Too bad it's not green, then I could NO him into play.

Spoiled within 24 hours of Reanimator winning the biggest MtG tournament to date for a combined total of 3 T8 finishes. Epic.
    Great success!

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisACatInAHat? View Post
    Spoiled within 24 hours of Reanimator winning the biggest MtG tournament to date for a combined total of 3 T8 finishes. Epic.
    Am I missing something, or did you miss the shuffle clause?

I love NEETs
    Feb 2007
    The ninth circle of Orange County

Quote Originally Posted by arebennian View Post
    Am I missing something, or did you miss the shuffle clause?
    It's a triggered ability, so it still hits the Graveyard briefly. However, I don't believe traditional Reanimator builds have a chance to exploit this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
    It's a triggered ability, so it still hits the Graveyard briefly. However, I don't believe traditional Reanimator builds have a chance to exploit this.
    Err, really?
    You're telling me I can Survival this guy and sacrifice Loyal Retainers to get him into play?

Quote Originally Posted by arebennian View Post
    Err, really?
    You're telling me I can Survival this guy and sacrifice Loyal Retainers to get him into play?
    I wonder if you would really prefer him over Iona. Obviously the card draw ability is irrelevant here. He is just a fat ass, which does nothing before he attacks. The only time that Iona doesn't seem enough to grant a victory is when the opponent is already swarming you on board. In that case however this guy might be simply too slow. Including him would allow for some trickplays, which I always love, such as tutorable Goyf size control and tutorable creature recursion, but that doesn't make up for the difference between how much he does and how much Iona does.

I am looking forward however to some pesky evasion + anihilator 1 or 2 creatures.

Yeah, this one is a very mediocre reanimation target, but we still have more Eldrazi coming. Let's see what that brings. All I know is: I'd like to get a Retainers now.

But I wanted that before the Eldrazi being spoiled.

Jan 2005
    home=Ohio school=Edinburgh girl=New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Yeah, this one is a very mediocre reanimation target, but we still have more Eldrazi coming. Let's see what that brings. All I know is: I'd like to get a Retainers now.

But I wanted that before the Eldrazi being spoiled.
    The annihilator mechanic seems like a really strong one on a reanimator target in a deck like survival if it runs, Anger. This guy then makes the huge creature rush less of an issue as tutor sac loyal retainers swing, seems pretty good.

Keep in mind that the mechanic reads whenever they attack, not when they successfully deal damage, so like goblin guide, this happens before blockers are declared, basically before anything accept responses to entering the attack phase.

Quote Originally Posted by crow_mw View Post
    I wonder if you would really prefer him over Iona. Obviously the card draw ability is irrelevant here. He is just a fat ass, which does nothing before he attacks. The only time that Iona doesn't seem enough to grant a victory is when the opponent is already swarming you on board. In that case however this guy might be simply too slow. Including him would allow for some trickplays, which I always love, such as tutorable Goyf size control and tutorable creature recursion, but that doesn't make up for the difference between how much he does and how much Iona does.

I am looking forward however to some pesky evasion + anihilator 1 or 2 creatures.
    Oh I'm not suggesting it is better, I was just not aware that you could physically cast a reanimate type effect targeting something with the suffle clause. I'm far from a DCI Level 8 Judge :-)

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    So we have first card from the new set!

That link seems to be broken.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

I don't think anger would work as the shuffle effect would take place before the attack phase, and thus the big guy loses haste...

Or nevermind as you can tutor for anger after the shuffle, but that makes the whole thing a 4 mana combo

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Even though it's not an artifact, your average Metalworker deck should be able to pony up the 10 mana rather easily, and once you do it's an utter and complete beating.

The main problem seems to be that, since it's wholly un-pitchable, you never ever want to draw it until you just untapped with Metalworker in play, but I can't think right now of a useful tutor effect that can fetch it. Maybe you just play it as a 2x and hope to get lucky with Rack or Top.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly approve of Wizards' ongoing design trend in favour of "smart" fatties (see: Terastodon, Iona). At the very least, the stats and Annihilator ability alone are enough to make it a fantastic inclusion for the Sneak Attack deck, and power bumps to fun Tier 3 decks are welcome no matter how small.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Aside from Sneak Attack and Metalworker, there is also Show and Tell to put it into play.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from Sneak Attack and Metalworker, there is also Show and Tell to put it into play.
    Sneak Attack guarantees CA by forcing the opponent to sacrifice 4 permanents.
    Metalworker guarantees CA with the triggered draw4 when you play it.
    SnT just puts a 12/12 into play that needs to survive 1 turn to do something relevant. Looks far worse.

Dream Halls + Painter's Servant ;-)

More seriously. Elves can play it too.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    At the very least, the stats and Annihilator ability alone are enough to make it a fantastic inclusion for the Sneak Attack deck, and power bumps to fun Tier 3 decks are welcome no matter how small.
    100% Agree.
    Also, Food Chain combo can use this card.
    I even think about Cabal Coffers+Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth+Eye of Ugin to abuse Kozilek...
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

About Food Chain, it looks strictly worse than Myojin of Seeing Winds

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Am I the first one to notice the art spreads all over the card? It still has black borders, but where you'd normally see the color of the card in the border, now the art is spread all over the card. Man I love it. Seems like Wizards finally took the hint from player who are playing with altered cards.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Atwa View Post
    Am I the first one to notice the art spreads all over the card? It still has black borders, but where you'd normally see the color of the card in the border, now the art is spread all over the card. Man I love it. Seems like Wizards finally took the hint from player who are playing with altered cards.

For those of you, like me, who saw no image in the links above.

That is so cool. Too bad it's probably limited to Eldrazi. Still, nice to see innovation.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Thread Information