Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ever since seeing The Antiquites War, I've been mulling over a bit of a crazy thought: trying a hybrid of Steel Stompy and FS. The principal idea is pretty simple: we have lots of cards that care about counters and plenty of artifacts that tend to go dead down the line. We also already play 3-4 Trinket Mages and 2 Hangarback/Walking Ballista. All we really need is to add few more HBW/WB and the 4 Ravagers alongside perchance some Steel Overseers and we have most of the same power (not quite all of it; our Ravagers aren't as good but the Ravager + Hangarback/Ballista is just as potent here) but we can also run stuff like Zahid, Umezawa's Jitte, Force of Will, Back to Basics and company. It does raise some interesting tensions that would have to be solved for the deck to have acceptable reliability though:
    - Chrome Mox can't imprint artifacts so it gets significantly worse. Probably at least some number needs replacing.
    - Force of Will naturally suffers of the lower blue card count but I believe we can keep the ~20ish blue cards for reasonably reliable FoW access (3 Zahid, 4 Trinket, 4 FoW, 2 Antiquites War, some number of Stratus/GEAs/Vensers/etc.) while still having enough artifacts to make Ravager and company good.
    - Need enough artifacts for Ravager and Antiquites War (should we choose to run it). For 5 cards to contain an artifact at least 90% of the time (my threshold for reasonable reliability), we'd need 23 artifacts. We already run 4 Chalices, 4 Moxen, 1 Seat, 4 equipment, 1 Needle, 2 Ballista/Hangarback for 16 artifacts. The addition of 4 Ravagers, some Ballistas/Hangarbacks would naturally push us over the threshold though of course we could also add more Seat of the Synods too (at the cost of becoming more vulnerable to Wasteland and B2B getting slightly worse).
    - Blue artifact creatures?? Master of Etherium, Esperzoa, none of them look particularly appealing for what we're doing.

Benefits:
    - Mox Opal becomes an option instead/in addition to some Chromes/Petals. 0-drop artifacts are pretty key to enable Ravager anyways.
    - Jitte gets significantly stronger with Ravager being able to counterdump it for either massive damage, or removal, or even lifegain.
    - Some fringe options with Ravager to set a particular Chalice without having to pay for it.
    - Our 2-drops get stronger and more synergistic. Overall, more power through synergy, but some cards that aren't amazing on their own.

The numbers would have to look like
    24 mana sources (20 lands, 4 Mox/Petal/etc.)
    16 artifacts between creatures and spells (3 Seat of the Synods would push us to 23 artifacts though blue/artifacts would also work)
    20 blue cards

It's possible to hybridize blue cards and artifacts to get a larger number of each or go down to 18-17 blue cards; 16 would be the absolute minimum and at that point I wouldn't even consider running Chrome Mox anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread and I should go to New and Developmental to play around with this but ultimately I feel like the 2-drops we'd get this way are stronger than most of what we currently play, at least accounting for the combo potential (but lacking additional ways to add counters is of course a bit of a downer). Compared to Steel Stompy we have the obvious advantage of having blue cards including FoW, B2B, Zahid, Trinket Mage and company but the equally obvious disadvantage of having a less streamlined plan, fewer artifacts to feed the artifact synergies, and we run the risk of losing to color screw. Of course, we're also less reliant on artifacts and thus cards like Null Rod, Energy Flux and even Ancient Grudge are far less bothersome for us. The curve is higher but that's partially offset by running more mana and Trinket Mages being able to fetch mana in case of emergency. On the other hand it's also an advantage in enabling us to better use Chalice for 2 and having more to do while flooding.

I don't know if this stew will amount to anything but the pieces feel like they're there if the ratios and the cards tying it all together are set right.
    I'm trying too, but not Ballistas, Ravager, Hangarback
    I'm trying to base it around those cards and then find out a good manabase and draw engine

+ + + + + + + +

Maybe using those cards ?

+

I am trying this

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    7 Island
    4 Seat of The Synod

3 Chrome Mox
    3 Mox Opal
    2 Jeweled Amulet

4 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Urza's Bauble

4 Thoughtcast
    4 Force of Will

4 Chalice of The Void

4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

3 The Antiquites War
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza

Blue count: 21
    Artifact count: 22
    Manabase count: 26

I may have overlooked Reality Shift as a potential removal spell for this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    I may have overlooked Reality Shift as a potential removal spell for this deck.
    why not Psionic Blast ?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I honestly don't think it likely any of the off-the-shelf blue removal spells are real competitors for Dismember. That said, I did run Psionic Blast back in 2005 but it just isn't all that efficient. If you want blue removal, I suggest looking the way of Control Magic, Sower of Temptation or such; it's unlikely more efficient options will be printed any time soon, particularly since enchantment removal is rare enough to make Control Magic an almost guaranteed 2-for-1 (and Sower is a 3-for-1 if it lives).

Found this list on hareruyamtg, not really faerie/sea drake stompy, but blue with Chalice:

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD8579K/

Main Deck

23 Lands
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    5 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Wasteland

5 Creatures
    3 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    1 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

32 Spells
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Tezzeret's Gambit
    4 The Antiquities War
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Sapphire Medallion
    4 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Tangle Wire
    1 Throne of Geth
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza

15 Sideboard
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Spatial Contortion
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Spine of Ish Sah
    4 Tormod's Crypt

Really like the Karn / The Antiquities War theme, perhaps new Tezzeret could also fit in. What do you think?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Something like that is frankly probably a better shell for The Antiquities War in general. My list is trying to do too many things at once leading to consistency issues. Perhaps we ought to just rejoice of Zahid and take advantage of the tools we have. But yeah, that list looks quite interesting.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 06-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Something like that is frankly probably a better shell for The Antiquities War in general. My list is trying to do too many things at once leading to consistency issues. Perhaps we ought to just rejoice of Zahid and take advantage of the tools we have. But yeah, that list looks quite interesting.
    I found this list on the net http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    7 Island

4 Mox Opal
    3 Lotus Petal

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze

4 Thoughtcast

2 Etched Champion
    2 Walking Ballista
    4 Master of Etherium

4 Ensoul Artifact

3 Karn, Scion of Urza
    3 The Antiquities War

/// sideabord///

1 Walking Ballista
    2 Damping Sphere
    2 Echoing Truth
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass

I think it is quite an interesting build and goes not far from from a Faerie Stompy. There are only 8 "direct creatures" but with 10 othere cards that transform artifacts in creatures: Ensoul Artifact, Karn, Scion of Urza and The Antiquities War
    ... Darksteel Citadel and Ensoul Artifact are quite interesting together.

what do you think ?

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28028&iddeck=227580
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28008&iddeck=227162
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884

I like it! It has some advantages over the straight colorless artifact list, but the question is if it is better altogether. What are the disadvantages we have to ask ourselves? I definitely like it, and both those players are playing different lists and doing well, so it's possible the deck can be really good once it's finely tuned.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

That list certainly has some loose ones (4 Dazes with 7 Islands and expecting to actually cast them with any reliability is just ridiculous) but overall, it has certain appeal. I'm not sure it's better than the mono-brown lists á la Steel Stompy and I'm really sad about the lack of Trinket Mages, though I do understand the rationale of course. It just adds so much consistency and versatility. It's probably the only way to build a The Antiquites War deck though.

I wonder about the classical lists with Zahid though; they do seem pretty good in the meta. Warkite/Ballista+Wail currently seems pretty solid too with the rise of UB Shadow; gives us another way to fight the creature battle. Of course it's also pretty cool against Emrakul, Lage and company. Grixis control is a bit of a pain though. Probably the biggest hurdle in the current meta. Let's see...

10 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Pithing Needle

4 True Name Nemesis
    3 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    4 Stratus Dancer
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Warkite Marauder
    1 Sea Drake
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Might not actually be a bad starting point again.

That list certainly has some loose ones (4 Dazes with 7 Islands and expecting to actually cast them with any reliability is just ridiculous) but overall, it has certain appeal. I'm not sure it's better than the mono-brown lists á la Steel Stompy and I'm really sad about the lack of Trinket Mages, though I do understand the rationale of course. It just adds so much consistency and versatility. It's probably the only way to build a The Antiquites War deck though.
    You can always hardcast Daze.
    The fact that Blue Steel has FoW is probably the main factor in creating an argument to play this over traditional Steel Stompy. This does play some cheap fat creatures that are blue as well, so you definitely have other advantages for playing blue sources.

I wonder about the classical lists with Zahid though; they do seem pretty good in the meta. Warkite/Ballista+Wail currently seems pretty solid too with the rise of UB Shadow; gives us another way to fight the creature battle. Of course it's also pretty cool against Emrakul, Lage and company. Grixis control is a bit of a pain though. Probably the biggest hurdle in the current meta. Let's see...

I tested Zahid a while ago, so the data isn't fresh in my mind, but I don't think Zahid is the best option. It expensive even with the mana cost reduction, and that 4 mana is unreliable.

Here's the list I've been on for a while. Not sure I can make any changes.

// Blue Stompy

// 60 Maindeck
    // 13 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice

// 23 Creature
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Stratus Dancer
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Looter il-Kor
    4 Nimble Obstructionist
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Warkite Marauder

// 5 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    1 Misdirection

// 19 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

// 15 Sideboard
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Venser, Shaper Savant
    3 Back to Basics
    1 Misdirection
    2 Reality Shift

Reality Shift is a great card in this deck.

Possible Changes:
    -1 Shift for +1 bounce spell (still gives tempo vs the creature decks and deals with Marit Lage while also providing a way to deal with Ensnaring Bridge besides just Venser)
    -1 Misdirection SD (4 FoW and 2 MD's might be too much of that type of card in the 75 and it may not be relevant enough) and having another Sideboard option would be very nice
    -1 Spyglass +1 Revoker SD (more creature might just be better, but I have liked having 1 Spyglass for the hand reveal as well as protection against lands, especially Wasteland and Port)

Is Nimble Obstructionist good enough to have 4-of? This is a tough question to answer. Most of the time it's just a 3/1 Flash, which is still great for this deck, and the ability can also be great.

Questions:

Can Spellstutter replace anything in the deck?

How do we feel about Teferi's Response? I love the design of the card, and it would feel amazing to counter a wasteland or Port with this, and I would love to have an excuse to cast this card, but it's probably not worth it. If AssTrophy is popular in Legacy this could be a more serious consideration.
    Last edited by R3ndr0c; 10-11-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: MORe INFO

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    I tested Zahid a while ago, so the data isn't fresh in my mind, but I don't think Zahid is the best option. It expensive even with the mana cost reduction, and that 4 mana is unreliable.

Here's the list I've been on for a while. Not sure I can make any changes.

// Blue Stompy

// 60 Maindeck
    // 13 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice

// 23 Creature
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Stratus Dancer
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Looter il-Kor
    4 Nimble Obstructionist
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Warkite Marauder

// 5 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    1 Misdirection

// 19 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

// 15 Sideboard
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Venser, Shaper Savant
    3 Back to Basics
    1 Misdirection
    2 Reality Shift

Reality Shift is a great card in this deck.
    I played a different deck, UB, with Chrome Mox and FoW. I ran a few Chrome and 4 FoW at the time, and it was incredibly difficult to get use out of one or the other - a lot of times I had to pitch my FoW on the Chrome to make a T1 play, and that's not knowing what I'm facing. I'd just note that these cards are very anti-synergistic, and so is Misdirection here.

Also, you have 23 mana sources - is that enough? You have a lower curve than I do, but I don't think I run a prison deck below 26. We don't run cantrips, and I think with stompy decks you want to keep any Chalice hand you've got and not be forced to mull because you're land light.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

That list looks very close to the below list that has been racking up top 8s like crazy over at mtgtop8

Planeswalker (5)
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master
    Creature (7)
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Walking Ballista
    Sorcery (4)
    4 Thoughtcast
    Instant (3)
    3 Force of Will
    Artifact (28)
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Dimir Signet
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Urza's Bauble
    Enchantment (5)
    1 Artificer's Intuition
    4 The Antiquities War
    Land (8)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Glimmervoid
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Island
    60 Cards
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Toxic Deluge

Might be a direction worth pursuing. The list has already done well at quite a few tourneys.

Super strong card in this deck
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post

Super strong card in this deck
    I agree, it's def a strong card. But I put Jace TMS in that slot. May depend on how you build, but Jace + Brainstorm is probably always better than a solid 4/4 flier.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I think Sphinx might very well be what this deck needs to be a thing again. It does necessitate a slower build but honestly, Scry 3 in the opener turns basically every one-lander into a godhand. I feel like the card reduces the variance of your opening turns by so much that it's worth going through a bit of trouble to fit it in. The first and foremost problem for this deck has always been that you win some, you lose some; sometimes your opener is just garbage or you have bad runner-runner draws. Over the years we've combated this problem with everything from SoFI to Trinket Mage to Thirst for Knowledge to Looter il-Kor to Mulldrifter to Misthollow Griffin to JTMS but this is the first card that doesn't cost mana to accomplish what we want. That's incredibly valuable. It's also a fine rate creature on its own right at the cost. Of course, the problem is that with so many UU costs in the deck it becomes difficult to justify all the colorless mana; there have been few enough good 2U and 3U cards in the recent memory (Zahid and Sai are the only ones that come to mind and they both want a few more artifacts than we'd traditionally run) and with the creature power level being continuously pushed, that's a bad place to be at comparatively. Figuring out the manabase is the big part. If you get that down (it may now be right to look at less than 4 Cities though unfortunately that does reduce the consistency of the turn 1 Chalices, which is where many of our free wins come from).

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sexy, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Playing Daze, Force, and Chalice in the same deck is pure evil. I love it. I'm not sure you need that many threats, but I'm not really familiar with this deck. Three-ball and Daze/Force don't work well together but each are powerful enough to force the anti-synergy. Mastery is janky, and probably absurd if you can live the dream with Sphinx scry into an extra turn early.

I might play some number of Echoing Truth in the maindeck, just because I would fear the house of cards geting undone by variance.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Has anyone tried Skilled Animator in this deck? It doesn't have flying, but turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Animator seems like a brutal line of play.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Has anyone tried Skilled Animator in this deck? It doesn't have flying, but turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Animator seems like a brutal line of play.
    Definitely playable, it needs a playset of seat of the synod, which means no daze likely, but the beatdown is pretty insane.
    Its also true tho that you cant count trini as an activator, so you need at least another playset of decent artifacts
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I was imagining it with Chalice and Thorn, and yes, Seat of the Synod as well.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Thread Information