Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

May 2011
    Italy (bologna-milan)

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Hi All,

Well, FS is still my first love, so I'm trying to modify my deck accordingly with the meta I'm facing now (New Miracle, Delver, Sultai, Eldrazi, DnT and sometimes Enchantress).

For sure I need your suggestions here.

Main Deck:

3 Looter il-Kor
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Cloud of Faeries
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Stratus Dancer
    2 Sower of Temptation
    2 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Walking Ballista

4 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Basilisk Collar
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Force of Will

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

- Looter/TNN because they can't be blocked
    - Drakes/Cloud for the tricks we can do with our lands
    - Trinket to search for UU solution (Mox/Seat) or improve our defenses (Collar, Ballista)
    - Stratus because is Stratus (4x would be better)
    - Sower and Venser to play with the other board (creatures/chalice in Eldrazi, Solitary Confinement in Enchantress, Rishadan Port/vial/batterskull in DnT, ...)

Statistics:
    61 cards
    61% blue cards
    23 creatures // 6 equips
    mana 30% + 4 chrome mox and 1 mox diamond
    5 cards to draw

I would like to find a slot for Nimble, but seems difficult (actually we need at least 3x, in order to increase the possibility to have it in our hands at T1/T2, when Wasteland or fetchlands need to be managed).

Not sure I'm understanding the importance of Walking Ballist here. Can you please explain a bit more?
    [Edit: uops ... with basilisk collar it should be a nightmare for the enemy]

Any suggestion for my meta?

thanks

Andrea

ps: @ serendib ciao, nice to see you again here

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Walking Ballista is mostly there for Trinket Mage to produce an extra threat when needed, while also doubling as removal and a good two-drop (something the deck often struggles to deploy turn 1 in hands without Chalice). I like Hangarbacks too but at least in most match-ups, pinging 1/1s (Delvers, Strixes, Elves, Moms, etc.) on a body you can pump is nice. It also gives you a manasink for when you flood and indeed, makes your lategame Trinket Mages more reliable. Often you just need two threats and Trinket + Ballista is a good combo. It's also not a bad ramp target if you run Cloud of Faeries. Turn 2 Cloud off Island+Sol into 2/2 Ballista is not terrible.

In your build, I'd definitely run 4 Trinkets. You have such a massive toolbox, I think you'd want to draw them at any point. I'm also a bit worried about running 2 one-drops in your Chalice setup. I find one fine, but two dead cards once you land your Chalice hurts a bit especially when both are also longterm tutor targets. I prefer Needle main over Basilisk Collar. Collar is a fine SB card particularly with Walking Ballista. But if I went with that plan, I'd go all the way up to 3-4 Ballistas (remember, they can take the slot of a 2-drop; it's our Mogg Fanatic with an upside). In builds with Cloud I also like some number of Glen Elendra Archmages; it's one of the best acceleration targets and the format actually has a number of decks against which an active GEA is almost game over (Show and Tell, Storm, Reanimator, etc.). Few combo decks have means of beating an on-the-board double counter they cannot interact with. It's also not a terrible equipment carrier due to Persist.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

So how about Warkite Marauder? It could be an alternative 2-drop and between Jitte and Walking Ballista, the effect seems brutal against everything but TNN. It's costed just right too; sadly an X/1 but can't have everything. Seems like it could be really good in the Looter/Stratus Dancer slot.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    So how about Warkite Marauder? It could be an alternative 2-drop and between Jitte and Walking Ballista, the effect seems brutal against everything but TNN. It's costed just right too; sadly an X/1 but can't have everything. Seems like it could be really good in the Looter/Stratus Dancer slot.
    I don't think it's interchangeable with Dancer, but it definitely could replace Looter. You trade the loot for a far more aggressive creature, that can actually become removal. And is far better with equipment. I'm more interested in swapping Misthollow for the new Djiin. Alix thinks the redundancy Griffin gives the deck overall isn't worth the size, but I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    I don't think it's interchangeable with Dancer, but it definitely could replace Looter. You trade the loot for a far more aggressive creature, that can actually become removal. And is far better with equipment. I'm more interested in swapping Misthollow for the new Djiin. Alix thinks the redundancy Griffin gives the deck overall isn't worth the size, but I disagree.
    Yeah, as a pure beater Zahid seems awesome. 3U is a lot easier than 2UU, which all the other big 4-drop fliers thus far have been (I'm kinda tempted by Cloud of Faeries again to turbo this out turn 2, but that card is just so inefficient as a creature) and the deck is full of artifacts that don't care about being tapped (equipment, chalice, needle/spyglass/EE/Trinket targets; even Ballista only cares so much and worst case scenario has you play a Mox without imprint). I don't like Misthollow Griffin especially much except against white. While it's great vs. StP and obviously good with FoW and Mox to a degree, I prefer grinding through other means (drawing, many-for-1s like Hangarback and Trinket, virtual card advantage from Chalice, etc.). Of course, removing Looter would hurt the long game a fair bit as being able to discard superfluous lands and Moxen is quite awesome down the line.

Looter is ireplaceable. It's one of the best cards in the deck. I generally haven't been a fan of dumb beaters, and 4 mana is a lot more than 3 in this deck.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    Looter is ireplaceable. It's one of the best cards in the deck. I generally haven't been a fan of dumb beaters, and 4 mana is a lot more than 3 in this deck.
    Well that's potentially another way to go. Running Looter and Warkite, and not Zahid. It smooths the mana to nothing. But now you have a deck full of creatures that all die to all removal. Cept TNN, of course. Drake is another possible cut. But he's really the Delver of the deck. The only creature that requires nothing else, to be a easily cast fast clock. And the Trinket/dude package cant get cut. Not only for all the versatility and redundancy it brings, Warkite now allows you to swing with those 2/2 Trinkets and Balllistas past their "Goyf" if you don't need it to get rid of a flyer or have equipment to act as removal. It really shouldn't be difficult to find the correct configuration once it's been tested a bit. I suspect it will as usual for this, and no other Stompy deck, end up a mashing of 2s and 3s of each.

EDIT: Another use for Warkite; Warping Wail. We tried it quite a bit when released, but it always seemed too narrow to main, and to weak to board. Now, in addition to the possible use of the secondary modes, and the always useful Deathrite and such removal early, it acts as hard removal if you have Warkite. Might remove the need for the dreaded Dismember.

Maybe something more like:

10 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Pithing Needle

3 True Name Nemesis
    2 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    3-4 Stratus Dancer
    2 Walking Ballista
    3-4 Warkite Marauder
    4 Sea Drake
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Less fat, but a way better curve. Always a T2 play even without accel, but plenty to use the accel. All the pieces. Your fatties, Delver, counter, removal, search, and filter. As well as the Force and Chalice. You're still going to have bad hands/draws, especially with the specificity of some of the cards. But mana shouldn't be a problem at all. Even color, basically using Zahid to support TNN instead of filling up on both
    Last edited by Parcher; 04-04-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Test Warkite and let me know how it goes. What I like most about Warkite is it makes opposing flyers unable to block and it combos well with our equipments making any creature easy to kill,

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Test Warkite and let me know how it goes. What I like most about Warkite is it makes opposing flyers unable to block and it combos well with our equipments making any creature easy to kill,
    I have. He doesn't just stop fliers. Being able to nerf their ground pounders allows Trinket and Morph to swing as well. That said, I do believe he is the weakest individual creature in the deck. Since he requires either some form of removal, or another creature in play to become dangerous. At least Dancer threatens a counter by himself.

That might still be fine, since Zahid has overperformed so far. He's almost always easier to cast than TNN, regularly coming down T3. With T1 Chalice, Ballista, or JItte, into Land, Mox allowing a T2. And really, there are very few draws from any deck that can beat T1 Chalice, T2 Zahid. He is very weak to Daze, but since Delver cant beat him, you just play around it. At this point I'm on the above list with 3 Zahid, 3 Warkite, 4 Dancer. Obviously still in testing stages though. One of the reasons this deck was ever viable was it's not needing removal to win. So Warkite is more insurance than anything. But, just like Dancer, a T1-2 2-power flier that has potential for tremendous upside is definitely worth including. Funny now how the creatures are split down the middle between big, evasive, hard-to-kill beaters, and spells-as-creatures.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Apr 2017
    London

Warkite Marauder and Warping Wail is such a sweet combo, and Jitte and Walking Ballista seems great with Marauder as well. Makes me want to try the deck. Walking Ballista is in a pretty good place right now in general and I think further copies could definitely by justified. Basilisk Collar strikes me as a little awkward with Chalice for limited upside in most matches, although the combo with Ballista is cute.

Spyglass over Pithing Needle seems better with Chalice, but I can see the benefits of being able to tutor for Needle.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Warkite Marauder and Warping Wail is such a sweet combo, and Jitte and Walking Ballista seems great with Marauder as well. Makes me want to try the deck. Walking Ballista is in a pretty good place right now in general and I think further copies could definitely by justified. Basilisk Collar strikes me as a little awkward with Chalice for limited upside in most matches, although the combo with Ballista is cute.

Spyglass over Pithing Needle seems better with Chalice, but I can see the benefits of being able to tutor for Needle.
    Yeah, with the addition of Spyglass in the board, Needle seems not to be worth it. The need for it, combined with the ability to get and use it in G1 is just too small. That's an easy cut for a Wail. With the removal of Griffin, however, I would be loathe to cut another U card for more.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Zahid seems positively awesome. Resilient to like 75% of the removal in the format in Fatal Push, Dismember, Lightning Bolt, Decay. All but the white ones, really; though Karakas is a bitch. Doubles the interest I have in Needle. It's also larger than all the commonly played fair creatures (Reality Smasher, Tombstalker, Gurmag Angler all at 5/5) save for buff Goyfs (Land,Instant,Sorc,Creature needs at least one non-typical card type to make it 5/6 and two for it to outgrow Zahid). And you can cast it off most 3 mana source comboes; 3U is again much less than 2UU. I can definitely see it being a big positive swing for the deck - it's been so long since they printed good big beaters that aren't UU. Those are whence the deck originally came - the simple, efficient combination of Sea Drake, Serendib Efreet, Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors.

I do still like the maindeck Needle. It's pretty big on the draw against D&T, it's a good answer to some of the pesky Planeswalkers around, it's really important against land-based decks and it has a lot of incidental utility (DRT, equipment, etc.). It enables interacting with things the deck otherwise can't interact with, though of course clashing with Chalice is something of an issue.

I have been liking Warkite Marauder. I've been testing two maindeck b2b to the sideboard to have 3 coming out fo the SD again. I do like the combo with all the equipments and Walking Ballista. The ability to remove all abilities has proven useful as well. I targeted a revoker to unlock my ballista to kill another Revoker which unlocked my jitte which killed the 0/1 Revoker. Was pretty sweet.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

I still am not sure that Needle is a need. Possibly because of Warkite. DnT is most definitely a matchup where he shines. And even as a one-of, drawing Needle is the nut low. That said, I'm slowly lowering the count of Warkite. Before Zahid, I probably would have a different opinion. But again, this deck rarely needs removal. And one of the most common of those cases is to race. With TNN blocking and Zahid on offense, even that is less common. I'm pretty sure he's a 2-of, maybe with a 3rd in the SB in lieu of a Sower type slot.

And for something a bit stranger; I've felt for some time that this deck needed another U source. Not a land, obviously. Doesn't speed us, dead draw later, etc. Diamond was my attempt at using Trinket to get either side of it. But unless you're manabase is under attack, that proved unnecessary. And slow, since you also need the other half in hand. One-shot mana doesn't really help. We aren't dropping game enders T1, and hoping they hold up. We want 3-4 mana every turn of the game, especially with all the activated abilities. So as stupid as it sounds, I've been running 1 Jeweled Amulet. Yeah, I know. But in the opener it ramps to 3 on T2 without a Chrome or Sol. It's a second U source, which it huge. And it's not like we need U every turn. You can even store that extra Sol mana on it. Obviously fetchable with Trinket, though that's again only likely if they are attacking mana, or if B2B is boarded. It's totally unspectacular, but may just be consistently what the deck wants through overall usability to warrant inclusion.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Just run another Island.... I have 19 Islands and 4 Chrome Mox. It works just fine.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Just run another Island.... I have 19 Islands and 4 Chrome Mox. It works just fine.
    I've been getting some games in with the new cards. It feels wrong, but I think its finally time to cut Drake.TNN and Zahid are so much better. And Drake actively interferes with casting them. And the weenies, Trinket, Warkite, Dancer, and Looter, are all good enough that I'm not sure a T1 dumb beater that still dies to everything is what the deck wants anymore. Not if its interfering with casting the untouchables. I'm just expanding the number of everything else, as well as another land, Minamo just for giggles.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I had the same problem which lead to me inflating the landcount. I actually used to run Faerie Conclaves at one point as flood prevention while still getting what I wanted out of the blue mana but that has its own set of problems, especially coming into play tapped and not accelerating. I don't think the deck can really afford virtual card disadvantage in excess lands with its minimal filtering and drawing. And yes, I agree, now might just be the time to cut Drake; it's a great fast clock but that's all it is and ever since Delver was printed I've felt it's a bit underpowered in a vacuum. Still a great beater but it's hard to say if it's worth it compared to the options. Perhaps run 2 or so, to complement the legendary Zahid.

I cut drake since I started playing this deck. It's just bad, and we have many better options.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

10 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Pithing Needle

4 True Name Nemesis
    3 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    4 Stratus Dancer
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Warkite Marauder
    1 Sea Drake
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Sorry to spam lists, but this has gotten very close to the power/consistency level I've been looking for. Oboro was finally chosen as the additional mana source due to it's ability to pitch back with Looter later, and it's ability to cast TNN off a Sol. All of the creature numbers have been working out, though in certain metas, I would definitely swap the number of Warkite and Dancer. Or possibly a second Drake. I'm still not sure on a Hangar/Ballista split or not. They do such completely different things. I expect more experience with Warkite will show how many "removal spells" are needed to best utilize him. The way it's set up now, I have 8 beaters(Zahid,TNN,Drake), 12 disruption(FoW,Chalice,Dancer), 8 removal(SoFI,Jitte,Ballista), and 6 search(Trinket,Looter), with Warkite and Needle filling out the hedge slots. I'm pretty sure it's where the deck wants to be. All that's left is to grind specific matchups to solidify the numbers and work on a SB.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

That seems pretty good though I'd definitely love some utility/draw in the top end to enter the midgame/lategame at a bit more of an advantage but sadly the best options are all pretty hard to fit and at odds with the current configuration. Also the equipment count is kinda low to run any creatures that can't pull their own weight without it; Trinket + Ballista seems common enough to make Warkite "worthwhile" though. I definitely like Hangarback but if I ran Hangarback, I'd also want to run something like Jace to hide behind it, or more equipment to punch with. The existence of Warkite makes Ballista good enough that I'd want to draw it raw even without Trinket, so I do like multiples and thus the Hangarback would have to come from elsewhere.

I do like the manabase in theory but 26 mana sources is a fair bit (though it's close to what I ended up playing in the end as well) in a deck with this little draw and filtering. That's another reason I'm constantly thinking about Jace but again, Jace the draw engine is not an aggressive card as such (Jace the Bouncer and Fatesealer is but that doesn't address the issue) and it could always be a 4-drop beatstick instead. Thus, it does still beg the question. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of fitting a 1 Hangarback/2 Jace midgame package though; it's akin to what I was doing with Mulldrifters long ago. But it would require fetches, and whether that's a problem depends on the metagame (though Stifle's stock is at something of an all-time low).

Sideboard:
    - I've always been an advocate of 3-4 B2Bs. It attacks an angle the deck doesn't otherwise hit and it's incredibly powerful in a number of match-ups, while we can function alright even without the Sol lands particularly in a slightly slower game (which B2B leads to). It notably makes life miserable for many of the midrange control decks and obviously it's a nuclear bomb against Lands. Call this the "anti-land slot".
    - Anti-Show and Tell/Land slot may or may not be necessary. Venser is the best overall card here and I like 2 Vensers though I'm not opposed to a miser's maindeck Venser either (Flash creatures have a pretty high surprise factor in conjunction with equipment). Bouncing spells and permanents alike is just a really versatile effect and one of the best answers to Omniscience, Emrakul, Marit Lage or company that you can run. This slot is obviously also good against anything cheating big things into play like Reanimator, Sneak Stompy, Eureka, Hypergenesis, etc. Anything except Natural Order really, because Progenitus is Progenitus. This also doubles as an answer to Ensnaring Bridges, Solitary Confinements, Tabernacles, etc.
    - Anti-graveyard slot is a must and at least 1 has to be an artifact like Tormod's Crypt due to Trinket Mage (Relic is also nice and doubles as utility against any decks with Tarmogoyf/Delve creatures/etc. but the dissynergy with Chalice makes me favour Crypt). I've played 2 Crypts but RB Reanimator kinda makes one want to run something like Faerie Macabre or Leyline to dodge Chancellor and to interact turn 0. However, that would take way more SB slots making it well-rounded. One big thing is, sometimes cards like Chalice or
    - Anti-creature slot. You might want one and something like Sower or Control Magic can be pretty strong against things like Eldrazi, D&T, Maverick, Ravager Stompy, Deadguy, etc. and not horrible against grindy UGB decks (though Fatal Push and the banning of Top made Sower much worse). Submerge also goes here though its stock has gone drastically down with the shift from primarily green to black creatures. On the flipside, it's extra brutal against delve creatures.
    - Anti-spell slot. Unlike in the days gone by, nowadays combo is varied and powerful enough that the MD plan is no longer 80/20 vs. most combo decks in the format. To that end, some creature counterspells (Venser is one but temporary) are good. I really like having some number of Glen Elendra Archmages at least in the side. 2 of them.
    - Grind slots. The deck actually isn't bad in longer games and some match-ups (Miracles, control in general) tend to go fairly long. To that end, some grindy cards like JTMS, Hangarback, Griffin or such can serve the SB well.
    - General utility. In some match-ups Chalices are pretty weak particularly on the draw (D&T, Goblins, Stompy mirrors, etc.) and things like Spyglass or Needle shine. I like Needle as it's searchable with Trinket but you can split the difference. EE is not horrid vs. Elves, EtW, etc. Ballista similarly. These are good in that they tend to be pretty broadly applicable where you clearly want to side out some part of your plan, and being Trinketable makes for extra value. If the SB has a lot of these, the 4th Trinket definitely needs to be there between the main and the side as the extra value is huge.

Overall, my approach to SBing FS has always been to have enough broad cards that act as silver bullets in various match-ups that I can always side out what I don't want and thus transform my maindeck into a more efficient variant. Add to that actual silver bullets like B2B where applicable, of course. I want to shift the main gameplan towards the deck I'm facing rather than relying on the SB cards solely to win (with B2B being the big exception that doesn't really complement the main plan but is just too strong not to run), since the main gameplan is pretty streamlined and the pieces are kinda interlocked so removing anything messes with the deck's ratios.

Thread Information