Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I think Sphinx might very well be what this deck needs to be a thing again. It does necessitate a slower build but honestly, Scry 3 in the opener turns basically every one-lander into a godhand. I feel like the card reduces the variance of your opening turns by so much that it's worth going through a bit of trouble to fit it in. The first and foremost problem for this deck has always been that you win some, you lose some; sometimes your opener is just garbage or you have bad runner-runner draws. Over the years we've combated this problem with everything from SoFI to Trinket Mage to Thirst for Knowledge to Looter il-Kor to Mulldrifter to Misthollow Griffin to JTMS but this is the first card that doesn't cost mana to accomplish what we want. That's incredibly valuable. It's also a fine rate creature on its own right at the cost. Of course, the problem is that with so many UU costs in the deck it becomes difficult to justify all the colorless mana; there have been few enough good 2U and 3U cards in the recent memory (Zahid and Sai are the only ones that come to mind and they both want a few more artifacts than we'd traditionally run) and with the creature power level being continuously pushed, that's a bad place to be at comparatively. Figuring out the manabase is the big part. If you get that down (it may now be right to look at less than 4 Cities though unfortunately that does reduce the consistency of the turn 1 Chalices, which is where many of our free wins come from).
    I totally agree

What do you think of something like this ?

9 Island
    2 Seat of The Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of The Void
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Force of Will

4 Sphinx of Foresight
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Warkite Marauder
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Solemn Simulacrum

with 23 mana sources and 4 Cloud of Faeries and 2 Solemn Simulacrum to ramp a bit or fix the mana
    (4 Trinket Mage can tutor a second blue source too)

with the package:
    4 Warkite Marauder
    4 Walking Ballista which is a super card to my view at the moment
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    maybe there is no need anymore for more equipments

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

If you play Seats you either drop SB B2Bs or make them much worse, either way negatively impacting a number of match-ups. That said, between Skilled Animator, Sai, Zahid and TAW, there may be enough tools around to incentivize a stompyish blue artifact deck. Skilled Animator does open your artifacts up to creature removal though and I'm not sure it's consistently good enough; no flying means it's brickwalled by Anglers, True-Names and company. My earlier drafts of artistompy kinda fell flat on their face due to a number of issues but perhaps...

21 Dudes
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Sai
    4 Skilled Animator
    4 Sphinx of Foresight (no synergies though, probably not right here)
    2 Master of Etherium
    2 Walking Ballista
    1 Hangarback Walker

15 Stuff
    3 The Antiquites War
    4 Force of Will
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle

24 Mana
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Opal
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Island

Or something along those lines. Perhaps Warkites or Ravagers are correct and perhaps you do still want Looter. I'd have to play with Sphinx a bit more to be sure. You have it in your opener about 40% of the time and you can probably keep most of the hands with it; even if your opening 7 are weak, being able to immediately Scry 3 really helps make the next draws more impactful.

@ Frustrani: Something like that, perhaps. I'd be leery of dropping Looters particularly without packing Jace or something similar as we do still want active filtering, I think. I'm also not sure how good Cloud of Faeries is given that Sphinx is again another 4-drop it can't accelerate out. It is much more alluring if you're running e.g. Zahid and Glen Elendra Archmage instead. True-Name Nemesis also gets much worse if you only have 3 equipment. There's definitely a deck there somewhere though.

@ Noctalor: I wouldn't run Fettergeist, the card is just bad. I'm not sure Efreet and Drake are really up to par right now either. I mean, perhaps. I never liked MD Trinispheres with no mana denial built into the setup and it mostly feels superfluous from the SB. It's just not out early enough reliably to lock the enemy out and slowing them down while slowing yourself out (Dazes and Forces are pretty weak with it and you spend a turn and a card playing it) only works if you slow them down way more. If you ran like MD Back to Basics, I'd be more inclined to run that too.

Hi to everybody. I'm a casual magic player (english is not my main language so ....sorry for all the mistakes ). I like to play my Faerie stompy deck and i have been playing it for years. I like to play F. Stompy aggro so i stick with casting cost 3 and try to keep it with few or no double blue .I'm often looking for your new post to improve my deck so... Thx everybody that still play Faerie Stompy.
    Here my deck:

Faerie Stompy (with +4 Sphynx of foresight . before the add of the sphinx i was playing it with +3 looter and +1 back to basic -1 Seat of Synod +1 snow-covered island)

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Shoreline Ranger
    9 Snow-Covered Island
    (Classic, with a shoreline r. for the double blue...still not sure if i need it)

1 Back to Basics
    4 Chalice of the Void
    (Back to B. WINS in my legacy metagame)

1 Misdirection
    4 Force of Will
    (misdirection is mainly used as counter-counter spell)

4 Cloud of Faeries
    3 Illusory Angel
    3 Nimble Obstructionist
    3 Sea Drake
    4 Sphinx of Foresight
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 Walking Ballista

(cloud of faeries shine if there are equip. Cloud and sea drake help with back to basic)

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

(Sword of light and shadow to gain live and for my cycling cloud of faeries and Nimble O. it's working well also with walking balista)

Sideboard:
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Dismember
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    (still thinking on this. need it for ensharing bridge but...maybe my old jester cap and a couple of miscalculation could do the job)
    1 Spellstutter Sprite .
    (I'm usually the aggro deck so it's difficult to stay with mana open to do counter.Usually i never put more than 2-3 counter in side. Ratchet bomb toke those slots )
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Venser, Shaper Savant (Great versus show and tell )

The main problems in my metagame are miracle decks and deck that use Ensnaring bridge . What' are you side versus miracle?pm thx
    Last edited by Tokay; 03-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I'd definitely run at least a singleton Venser and perhaps some Jaces if you run into a lot of Ensnaring Bridge. Otherwise your only plan is to Ballista them down which takes about infinite mana. I don't think Illusory Angel is reliable enough to run; it's a terrible topdeck and meh. I don't think Shoreline Ranger is really good enough anymore; while it does its job, having to lead with City is just a pain. I'd replace it with one more Trinket Mage for double coloured. Far as Miracles is concerned, Glen Elendra Archmage is incredible there and goes nicely with Cloud of Faeries too so I'd definitely consider running some number.

The new London Mulligan rule seems great for us.

Hi . I tried to play FS. Aggro in a small tournament (37 player) but my meta was not right for an aggro deck and i did some mistake (both in the deck building and while playing). I was thinking to try something a bit different next time but i still feel that i need some help in the deck building.

This is what's i'm thinking to build :

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Polluted Delta -----------> crucible + polluted delta can help to get the 2° blue mana
    6-7 Snow-Covered Island --->not sure : if i can find to borrow a mox diamon i think that it should take the place of a land
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Wasteland--> should help with nimble o. and chalice to keep some nasty spells away. Work well with crucible of worlds. worth it?maybe
    1 seat of synod------------->so trinket mage could get the 2° blue mana

24 mana source probably.

1 Crucible of Worlds ---->it cost 3 mana. it fix a problem of the deck. i didn't need to buy it. Only 1 because it's just plan B--->maybe trinket n°4
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will

2 Walking Ballista *
    3 Cloud of Faeries ---->maybe sea drake
    3 Trinket Mage *
    3 True-Name Nemesis *
    3 Looter il-Kor
    3 Nimble Obstructionist
    4 Sphinx of Foresight

21 creatures : i don't feel good with less.* are creatures that i don't want to change

2 The Antiquities War ------> still trying it : should help to find crucible , swords or chalice. plan C ?. is there something better?

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 equips .

THX
    Last edited by Tokay; 03-20-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I'd say 4th Trinket is much better than Crucible: finds you U, is a threat and provides another threat (Ballista) or a lockpiece (Chalice). If you run TAW, I think 4 Trinkets is a must. That card goes great with TAW (as does Walking Ballista). Crucible has too much of a chance to do nothing IMHO, and City + Wasteland is a really slow setup. TAW is a neat direction to take the deck but I'm not sure it's consistent enough. I'd consider trying Jace in that slot. With fetches, Jace is pretty reliable (you have ways to get extra cards in hand, Jace turns those cards into gas) and it's an alternative wincon, a fine tempo play and an efficient counter to the millions of Cheat Big Dummy Into Play-decks in today's metagame. If you have Trinket, you can hit UU pretty easily. With Walking Ballista (and perhaps one Hangarback; it's a great Jace Defender vs. non-white decks and when you have a Chalice in play), you are pretty well setup to grind and let Jace do its thing.

If you're running Walking Ballista and Jitte, I do like Warkite Marauder in some number. 2/1 Flying for 1U is not a bad failcase and when it does things, it does huge things. It would be optimal if you could tutor for it, but miser's copy or a 2-of is probably not a bad idea. Again, I'd definitely pack some Venser/Sower-type effects for the Show and Tell somewhere in the 75. Sower in particular isn't bad against fair decks either (Venser is a bit anemic). Far as creatures go, a Zahid or two as the top-end Gurmag Trumps isn't necessarily a bad idea either.

Do post how it goes and whether you truly like the Sphinx; it looks good but whether that pans out requires more testing.

i' have tested it online and it's really true that 4°trinket is much better than 3 and a crucible.thx
    Sphinx look good until now but i still have some problem to fit it in the deck.

1) mana cost : it's a good turn three drop but turn three is full: jace , glean e. , venser ,true n.nemesi. are all card that we usually can't drop before turn 3. double blue some time is a problem too

2) you usually don't need more than 1 in your opening hand.

3) Some time you don't need to just look to the future and scry...you need it at once.

So maybe 4 is too much.

Now...i know that i'm going to say a something that sound like a foolishness and probably it'is a foolishness.

+ 3 brainstorm + 1 jace + 1 misdirection in a build with 3 looter and some fetches?
    Last edited by Tokay; 03-24-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Sphinx is an awkward card in that we absolutely want 4 to maximize the chance of getting the Scry-option, but we really don't want more than 2 max for actual hardcasting (if even that; it's not very powerful at a UU 4/4 flyer, but good enough to carry equipment and close games). In that sense, I like Jace just for the Brainstorm. Indeed, I welcome hands with Jace turn 3 to shuffle a Sphinx or two away, which is why I'd love to have a couple. Brainstorm is certainly an effect we'd love to have. The fact of the matter is though, most of the games we're going to go for Chalice at 1 ASAP (which is most of the time accessible with 4 Chalices, 4 Trinkets) making it a horrid topdeck and making for some bad options on the first turns (do I drop a Chalice or play Brainstorm? You'll always drop Chalice since it's the better the earlier it lands, while Brainstorm is the better the later you cast it). You can test it but there's a reason Brainstorm has never made it into this deck in spite of shoring up a huge issue. Looter kinda does this job already though it does feel a bit underpowered since we can't abuse the discard effect and it's a 2-mana 1/1 unblockable effectively. Great with equipment but modern lists are down to 4, from the 7 I used to run back in the day, making this less reliable.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 03-22-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Now my deck look something like this:

Sea Stompy -->work in progress-->i'm editing this post every time i change something.I appreciate advice

Bare-bones Faerie stompy ( after 07/04)

4 ancient tomb
    4 Chrome mox
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of Synod
    9 Snow-Covered Island

(22 Mana Source)

3 Looter il-kor
    4 Sphinx of Foresight
    -->(7 filters)
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Trinket Mage
    --> (our handyman )

( 15 Creatures)

4 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    (8 Core Stuff,)

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    (4 Equip)

11 Filler slots :

Config A(stronger vs control):

3 Stratus Dancer
    1 warkite m.
    3 nimble obstrutionist
    1 venser
    1 sword of fire and ice,
    1 Snow-covered Island
    1 TFK

Config B (Faster. Now i'm playing this.):

3 Cloud of faeries
    3 Sea Drake
    1 sword of fire of ice
    1 illusory angel
    1 Zahid
    1 TFK
    1 Snow-covered Island

C ( Something between A and B. )

3 Stratus Dancer
    3 Sea Drake
    1 sword of fire of ice
    3 Serendib Effret (not so good )
    1 Snow-covered Island

Check-list A:
    at least 21 creatures checked: 23
    at least 25 blue cards checked: 26
    at least 6 removal-like cards (like equip,sower, ballista ,dismember)checked :7 (this is an,Faerie Stompy,unspoken rule)

Check-list B:
    at least 21 creatures checked :24
    at least 25 blue cards checked :26
    at least 6 removal-like cards

Bare-bones Sideboard :

3 Back to Basics
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Misdirection
    1 Rushing river

5 Filler slots

List A -B
    Quite sure for both:

1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Venser

Only for List A ( need a bit more stuff vs aggro)

1 Tormod's cript
    2 Dismember

Only for List B ( need a bit more stuff vs Show and tell and dark d.)

1 Venser
    1 Aether Spell-bomb
    1 Bojuka Bog (we can use the D. up and down effect )

Side-board Check-list:

Some stuff for Show and tell and Dark deep
    Some stuff for Death and Taxes
    Some Stuff for Graveyard: tormod's
    Some Stuff for Ensnaring bridge : still lacking , only bounce, maybe GEA to try to counter it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit 11/04: change the deck with my bare-bones faerie stompy deck.There are still 8 random filler slots for cards which depends on the metagame
    Edit 14/04 : Bare-bones sideboard : 10 cards. Still 5 free slot which depends on the metagame.
    Edit 18/04 : Removed Stratus Dancer from the Bare-bones list. Now 11 free slots . Stratus is good only versus miracle.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...Stifle is more than landkill in that case. It’s land countering, functionally a turn one Time Walk...." Garrett Johnson on Mathemagics: Onslaught Fetchlands
    (why i love nimble obstrutionist)

"...We tried running 3 Hangars for a while. The problem was two-fold. First, it finally broke the level of Blue cards in the deck below what we felt consistency required...." Mr. Parcher on this thread

"I believe we have currently moved too far towards utility and consistency, and too far away from the aggressive power of the deck. By this I mean, there are certain cards and/or strategies that the deck simply cannot properly deal with. This is inherent to the archetype. However, the ability to drop a big, evasive threat, and protect it long enough to kill your opponent is the base strategy"Mr. Parcher on this thread

"..I wouldn't play under 20 creatures in Faerie Stompy, and the more, the merrier." Eldariel
    Last edited by Tokay; 04-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    Now my deck look something like this:
    Sea Stompy

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    10 Snow-Covered Island
    (23 mana sources)

3 Looter il-Kor
    3 Sphinx of Foresight
    -->(6 filters)
    3 Nimble Obstructionist
    2 Walking Ballista
    --> (removals and stiffle )
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    -->Silver Bullet
    3 Sea Drake
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    --> (main creatures)
    3 Trinket Mage
    --> (our handyman )
    3 Stratus Dancer
    -->umbrella
    24 creatures

4 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    core stuff

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 equip
    [ maybe with 2 ballista 4 equip could be enough...]
    1 blue card [i will really like to use this slot for a counter-spell :something like miscalculation /complicate or supreme will but Scornful Egotist it's also calling for it.]

Sideboard:

3 Back to Basics

2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle

1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Bojuka Bog

2 Dismember

1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    2 Misdirection

1 Echoing Truth
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant

Sphinx was cut to 3. 4 or drop are more that enough for me. Now the deck look like Parcher's list (+ 1 creatures -1 mox diamond , same core stuff ) :should be more or less alright .

Edit 29/3. drop from 5 equip to 4 : no need to draw more than one and more blue card = more stable deck
    Hi Tokay! After moving around from a few different Chalice decks, I think I'm going to head back to Faerie Stompy. I mentioned this before, but Chrome Mox is horrible with 4 Force of Will, and especially when you add a Misdirection.

I've got a list I really like, and one I'm still tuning. Do you want me to PM you both? Just send me a pm so I see it. Good luck!
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    . I mentioned this before, but Chrome Mox is horrible with 4 Force of Will, and especially when you add a Misdirection.

I've got a list I really like, and one I'm still tuning. Do you want me to PM you both? Just send me a pm so I see it. Good luck!
    I would like to see both the list .Thx.I'm still missing "something" to improve mine(complicate and Venser are cards that i used to play on the sideboard :i'm not sure about them) .

I feel that misdirection is a great sideboard card but i'm not sure if we should play it in the main deck : in most of the games i don't like to topdeck it.Misdirection help when we need to win a counter-war with some tempo decks and it's a nice card vs hymn to tourach ,sickhole and removal.When used well with misdirection we are trading 2 cards for 2 opponent cards (sometime is better than FW)

Vs miracle ,control deck and prison deck i prefer complicate or negate ( the game change from a war of speed to one of card advantage and we couldn't use misdirection on most of their spell like Planeswalker ,terminus ,counterbalance ecc...).

I still think that the deck have 3 major problems that we should try to solve

1)consistence (and here with the sphinx help,we are doing better. Need to see if it is enough and if it's worth it)
    2)lack of a plan "b" (not so bad...all the aggro decks lack a plan B.I will like to put Jace inside ...but another
    Is too much)
    3) lack of instant stuff : we are easy to read and our combat fase is a foregone conclusion(i try to put nimble, venser and counter...but pestermite was stronger ion this .At least now Stratus Dancer could help to make the fight even )

Waiting to see both your list

Tokay
    Last edited by Tokay; 04-05-2019 at 04:31 PM.

My Sea Stompy list on camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUCjmpx-sw
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

I like your deck frogger

i like :

tolara west,waste , mox diamond ,crucible of words , trophy mage: a really strong synergy here. Crucible + waste and chalice is a good lock

But i don't like the creature base: you need more and stronger to close the game faster

i belive that you should play

4 sphinx of foresight , 4 true-name namesi and 1 or 2 zahid as the main beater. ( 8-10 beater)
    3 trophy mage 4 looter as filter and tutor
    2 walking balista as removal

around 18 creature at least : your lock is stronger than the classic sea stompy list but you still need some guy to protect Jace or to close the game

Jace in this list is really good but 1 or 2 is enough.
    Last edited by Tokay; 04-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    I like your deck frogger

i like :

tolara west,waste , mox diamond ,crucible of words , trophy mage: a really strong synergy here. Crucible + waste and chalice is a good lock

But i don't like the creature base: you need more and stronger to close the game faster

i belive that you should play

4 sphinx of foresight , 4 true-name namesi and 1 or 2 zahid as the main beater. ( 8-10 beater)
    3 trophy mage 4 looter as filter and tutor
    2 walking balista as removal

around 18 creature at least : your lock is stronger than the classic sea stompy list but you still need some guy to protect Jace or to close the game

Jace in this list is really good but 1 or 2 is enough.
    Thanks Tokay! Feel free to tinker around with the list. I wouldn't run Zahid as it's terrible vs DnT, and it's already a tough matchup - and it's certainly winnable, too. Let me know what you're thinking of trying.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I definitely like 4 Jaces in lists that can support him. He's inherently self-regulating as you can just shuffle extras away, he can be a good way to get back into the tempo game by bouncing and forcing enemy to kill him just to drop another one, and obviously he offers a non-creature wincon. We definitely love a Brainstorm-like effect and he's one that's strong and fits perfectly with Chalice. As long as you expect to hit 2UU regularly, I like a number even though he isn't a threat per ce. Having him on the board tends to make the game more or less unwinnable for the opponent; I like him with Trinket + Hangarback.

Sorry, I can't find frogger42's list you are talking about.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I PM'd it to you. He'd rather not divulge tech into public just yet but we can discuss it just fine; hell, that's what this thread is for. The more people we have working on this, the more optimisation we can do.

Jan 2016
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I PM'd it to you. He'd rather not divulge tech into public just yet but we can discuss it just fine; hell, that's what this thread is for. The more people we have working on this, the more optimisation we can do.
    Can anybody please pm me too the list you are speaking about?
    I'm a long legacy aficionado but a newbie of this deck, but I'm considering it if the London Mulligan rule sticks.

Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but why this deck doesn't play trinisphere? only 4 pieces of lock doesn't seem that much compared to others "stompy" decks (MUD, Dragon) or the old White Stack.

Finally, has anybody ever thought of something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand after deploying the hand quickly / a hard mulligan?
    I'm thinking of a different approach, more "all in" on the starting hand (again, because of the london mulligan) with maybe more moxes, gemstone caverns, serum powders and griffins...

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    Can anybody please pm me too the list you are speaking about?
    I'm a long legacy aficionado but a newbie of this deck, but I'm considering it if the London Mulligan rule sticks.

Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but why this deck doesn't play trinisphere? only 4 pieces of lock doesn't seem that much compared to others "stompy" decks (MUD, Dragon) or the old White Stack.

Finally, has anybody ever thought of something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand after deploying the hand quickly / a hard mulligan?
    I'm thinking of a different approach, more "all in" on the starting hand (again, because of the london mulligan) with maybe more moxes, gemstone caverns, serum powders and griffins...

Thank you all!
    I put together a weird affinity list with Frogmite / Myr Enforcer / Mishra's and Urza's Baubles + Day's Undoing. It was a BLAST to play, but the power level of the cards just wasn't there. I haven't put the list up anywhere and just kind of chucked it. With these prison decks, this style doesn't go all in, it's usually drop one piece at a time, and Draw 7 allows your opponent to find Decay / K Command.

No Trinisphere because of Force, and Force is much much better. It's a catchall for so many things, and Trini just isn't.

PS I just sent a list to you

Also interessted in the list. Tried myself to play with Trophy Mages, Crucible, Wasteland and Mox Diamond. But it didnt went that well.
    As always if the deck goes too much in the artifact direction, i had trouble to have enough blue cards to support Force of Will....

Thread Information