Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    Can anybody please pm me too the list you are speaking about?
    I'm a long legacy aficionado but a newbie of this deck, but I'm considering it if the London Mulligan rule sticks.

Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but why this deck doesn't play trinisphere? only 4 pieces of lock doesn't seem that much compared to others "stompy" decks (MUD, Dragon) or the old White Stack.
    The deck doesn't play mana denial (aside from the SB B2B). This means Trinisphere doesn't really do much except against combo unless you drop it early and follow up with pressure. It buys tempo, sure, but it costs you a card and tempo to drop it and if enemy has answers to your threats, it'll end up doing nothing. It's a terrible topdeck and it's just overall quite situational. Chalice on the other hand is often good at any point in the game as it doesn't only make things cost more, it actually buys you virtual card advantage by making cards not playable.

Also do note that the deck plays 4 Chalices and 3-4 Trinket Mages and some draw. That's substantially more than most Stompy decks. This enables crafting boardstates where you have the inevitability with the appropriate Chalices; Chalice at 1 against BS decks and company, Chalice at 1 and 2 against low curve decks, Chalice at 2 against Loam decks, etc. Back when I played this deck more or less constantly, many of my wins came from just getting the Chalices down, stabilizing the board and winning while my opponent couldn't cast spells. Trini doesn't work like that.

Finally, has anybody ever thought of something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand after deploying the hand quickly / a hard mulligan?
    Day's Undoing isn't that good unless you have ways to empty your hand fast. We have acceleration but our spells are ridiculously expensive by Legacy standards. You aren't emptying your hand any faster than any other deck and that makes the card strictly symmetrical making it very unreliable. You could build a version that's good with Day's Undoing but again, the power level concerns are very real as that would require playing cards that:
    1) Probably don't synergize well with Chalice
    or
    2) Are just rather weak overall

I'm thinking of a different approach, more "all in" on the starting hand (again, because of the london mulligan) with maybe more moxes, gemstone caverns, serum powders and griffins...

Thank you all!
    The more all-in plan is interesting to explore. I must say though, I think the best feature of Faerie Stompy out of all the Stompy-lists has always been that it's the most robust or balanced. Back when it actually briefly hit the DTB, most of the lists were simply sleek and efficient. I always built to ensure the reliability of my deck; I wanted as few UU spells as possible with sufficient lands and both, ways to function under flood and ways to survive screw. That's why I've been running cards like Mulldrifter, Thirst, FoF, Looter, etc. Nowadays I think JTMS is the best flood prevention that's also good overall; it's the Brainstorm-that-works-under-Chalice we always wanted. If only 2UU weren't so hard to cast.

But yeah, Serum Powder + Griffin is certainly a neat combo and if you're running Griffin + FoW and Griffin + Chrome Mox perhaps with Manipulate Fate, you can get a lot of mileage out of the card. The biggest problem of the deck still is that TNN is one of the best cards we could ever hope for though and it has the absolute worst casting cost possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The biggest problem of the deck still is that TNN is one of the best cards we could ever hope for though and it has the absolute worst casting cost possible.
    I just wanted to add that an opposing TNN is the worst card for the deck to face. Given that you're a Prison deck and basically seek to control the game over the course of several turns, TNN is one of those cards that Faerie/Sea Stompy just can't deal with, not when it resolves. Ensnaring Bridge can deal with it... and I think that's honestly about it (even Forcefield still gives my opponent some inevitability).

I just thought I'd add that to the conversation, if that helps. I'd been losing a fair amount to TNN without access to a Bridge or lifegain.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    I just wanted to add that an opposing TNN is the worst card for the deck to face. Given that you're a Prison deck and basically seek to control the game over the course of several turns, TNN is one of those cards that Faerie/Sea Stompy just can't deal with, not when it resolves. Ensnaring Bridge can deal with it... and I think that's honestly about it (even Forcefield still gives my opponent some inevitability).

I just thought I'd add that to the conversation, if that helps. I'd been losing a fair amount to TNN without access to a Bridge or lifegain.
    Aye, that's one place where Jitte also shines; it simply allows outracing TNN rather effortlessly. Of course, SoLS does more or less the same but its other effect is so unreliable it can be kind of annoying.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Hmm, for builds with Trinket Mage, I'm actually kinda liking Retrofitter Foundry in the control match-ups (at least Miracles). It's cheap, fetchable, produces repeatable equipment bearers and is a good manasink. It's easy enough to tap 3 to make a servo and down the line it's possible to make multiple servos a turn (or to upgrade them if you feel so inclined and have mana left over). Clashes with Chalice but in the match-ups where you might need a constant stream of creatures, I think you're quite well off if Chalice lands anyways and this could be a potentially interesting back-up option for when the Chalice doesn't land.

Yes bridge is such a good card.

Kind of makes me wonder if a Mono Blue Prison list akin to Mono Red Prison but with Back to Basics and Narset Parter of Veils in place of Blood Moon/Magus and Jaces instead of Chandra would be effective. Such a list would be playing Trini, Bridge alongside FoW versus combo lists.

Hell, if it wants to be controllish but with fewer prison cards it possibly could go creatureless except for Emrakul and aim to win with Proteus Staff/Polymorph (man lands, lazotep plating, warping wails and callous dismissal) all work great with this approach.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Sounds like and interesting idea. Do you have already a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Yes bridge is such a good card.

Kind of makes me wonder if a Mono Blue Prison list akin to Mono Red Prison but with Back to Basics and Narset Parter of Veils in place of Blood Moon/Magus and Jaces instead of Chandra would be effective. Such a list would be playing Trini, Bridge alongside FoW versus combo lists.

Hell, if it wants to be controllish but with fewer prison cards it possibly could go creatureless except for Emrakul and aim to win with Proteus Staff/Polymorph (man lands, lazotep plating, warping wails and callous dismissal) all work great with this approach.
    I stopped liking B2B after playing Blood Moon. It's really about half as powerful as Moon - your opponent has a tonna outs to it, just in Decay alone. The only slight advantage it has is pitching to Force. Much more dependent on the matchup that Blood Moon. I keep cutting B2B and would rather run more utility lands than Islands.

Narset is worth playtesting. I haven't tried it, but two things about Narset: Chalice @ 1 shuts off cantrips as well, and Narset does just about the same thing but is more fragile. Also, when you stabilize, you want multiple activations off your cards - whether it's just JTMS ticking up, or smashing with a TNN turn after turn. I suspect the fact that Narset only activates twice means that it doesn't quite fit the "lock out and accumulate advantage over 10 turns" gameplan. Also if you protect her with Bridge, -2 isn't quite ideal. I think Narset is a Chalice @1 for decks that don't run Chalice, but I don't really have time to playtest it yet.

Proteus Staff combo is my wet dream. Never got it to work yet :/ (Tezz Agent of Bolas? Tezz Artifice Master...?)
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I usually run B2B in MUs where it's superimpactful, like Lands, Post, Eldrazi, Grixis (the only non-basic land running variants), etc. I don't bring it in otherwise, which is why I consider it a strictly sideboard card. Blood Moon is better in that it enables our lands to keep functioning while screwing many opponents over. Of course, it's worse in that the lands still tap for mana so if e.g. Eldrazi have any source of colorless (typically Grim Monolith), it suddenly might not hamper them much at all while they still aren't casting anything under B2B. In short, the two have different strengths but in this deck, I have a hard time seeing B2B as more than a sideboard card. B2B is something you don't plan around as much but rather something you just slam down in middle of a normal game and suddenly your opponent can't cast spells.

I usually run B2B in MUs where it's superimpactful, like Lands, Post, Eldrazi, Grixis (the only non-basic land running variants), etc. I don't bring it in otherwise, which is why I consider it a strictly sideboard card. Blood Moon is better in that it enables our lands to keep functioning while screwing many opponents over. Of course, it's worse in that the lands still tap for mana so if e.g. Eldrazi have any source of colorless (typically Grim Monolith), it suddenly might not hamper them much at all while they still aren't casting anything under B2B. In short, the two have different strengths but in this deck, I have a hard time seeing B2B as more than a sideboard card. B2B is something you don't plan around as much but rather something you just slam down in middle of a normal game and suddenly your opponent can't cast spells.
    I forgot - B2B + Tabernacle. HMMMMMMM

Frogger42 interpretation on blue chalice deck is very interesting
    I like a lot using Crucible of Worlds along with Mox Diamond, Wasteland & Trophy Mage
    Now that there is Karn, the Great Creator do you think it can replace some Trophy Mages ?
    I'm quite interested in Narset, Parter of Veils too

What about something like this ?

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Island
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Quicksand
    1 Faerie Conclave
    1 Cephalid Coliseum (good with Narset targetting the opponent ... with Crucible too is awesome)
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Seat of The Synod
    1 Academy Ruins (classic 26 lands + 4 Diamond .. otherwise 22 lands + 4 Chrome)

2 Karn, the Great Creator
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

4 Chalice of The Void
    4 Force of Will

4 Looter il-Kor
    4 True-Name Nemesis

1 Vendilion Clique (good with Narset)
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Trophy Mage
    1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sword of Fire And Ice
    1 Basilisk Collar

(best way to face opponents' Nemesis is giving lifelink with collar to our Nemesis to my view ... 1X cc1 drop is not a big problem even if we want Chalice @1. On a Ballista or Masticore is fun)

Sideboard:
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Masticore
    1 Thought-Knot Seer (same reason as Vendilion Clique)
    1 Misdirection
    1 Psionic Blast ( or Rushing River)
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Karakas (Dark Depth)
    1 Reins of Power (Dark Depth)

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    Frogger42 interpretation on blue chalice deck is very interesting
    I like a lot using Crucible of Worlds along with Mox Diamond, Wasteland & Trophy Mage
    Now that there is Karn, the Great Creator do you think it can replace some Trophy Mages ?
    I'm quite interested in Narset, Parter of Veils too

What about something like this ?

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Island
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Quicksand
    1 Faerie Conclave
    1 Cephalid Coliseum (good with Narset targetting the opponent ... with Crucible too is awesome)
    1 Tolaria West
    1 Seat of The Synod
    1 Academy Ruins (classic 26 lands + 4 Diamond .. otherwise 22 lands + 4 Chrome)

2 Karn, the Great Creator
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

4 Chalice of The Void
    4 Force of Will

4 Looter il-Kor
    4 True-Name Nemesis

1 Vendilion Clique (good with Narset)
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Trophy Mage
    1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sword of Fire And Ice
    1 Basilisk Collar

(best way to face opponents' Nemesis is giving lifelink with collar to our Nemesis to my view ... 1X cc1 drop is not a big problem even if we want Chalice @1. On a Ballista or Masticore is fun)

Sideboard:
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Masticore
    1 Thought-Knot Seer (same reason as Vendilion Clique)
    1 Misdirection
    1 Psionic Blast ( or Rushing River)
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Karakas (Dark Depth)
    1 Reins of Power (Dark Depth)
    I like how the list starts out, but you have a lot of 1x cards and no real filtering to find them.
    With Karn out, I'd try to drop the Trophy Mage toolbox and add Karn instead. Then swap Trophy Mage with I'm not too sure what, something else that's blue. But to be fair, I'm not sure how much difference that extra 1 mana is going to be when you're try to Karn for your Crucible.

Depending on your build, Search for Azcanta can be really good, probably better than Narset (much easier to cast and hard to kill). I'd probably cut all these:

1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Trophy Mage
    1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sword of Fire And Ice
    1 Basilisk Collar

add 2 more Karn, 2-3 Search for Azcanta, and maybe a set of Thought-Knot Seer. I actually like TKS better than True Name - it's a little heftier, really beats up on all combo, and is easier to cast. But you can probably run both.

Good luck!
    -Frogger

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Honestly, with NewKarn I could honestly see Cloud of Faeries back in the list to reliably accelerate Karn out turn 2 with a sol land. Though it's a bit of a low impact card otherwise, doubly so with so little equipment so perhaps not. I'm pretty sure there's something there though and NewKarn is a house so we should probably try and accommodate it while we can. Perhaps there's indeed a blue prison deck that could be top tier out there somewhere. Finding the exact configuration is quite tricky though, especially if you want to use FoW (which you probably do).

add 2 more Karn, 2-3 Search for Azcanta, and maybe a set of Thought-Knot Seer. I actually like TKS better than True Name - it's a little heftier, really beats up on all combo, and is easier to cast. But you can probably run both.
    Good luck!
    -Frogger
    You are right but the blue count with just [cards]
    2 or 3 or 4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    2 Search for Azcanta
    4 Looter Il-Kor
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    would be too low.

Honestly, with NewKarn I could honestly see Cloud of Faeries back in the list to reliably accelerate Karn out turn 2 with a sol land. Though it's a bit of a low impact card otherwise, doubly so with so little equipment so perhaps not. I'm pretty sure there's something there though and NewKarn is a house so we should probably try and accommodate it while we can. Perhaps there's indeed a blue prison deck that could be top tier out there somewhere. Finding the exact configuration is quite tricky though, especially if you want to use FoW (which you probably do).
    With cc4 mana spells (not 2UU) Cloud of Faeries shines.
    Karn, the Great Creator and The Antiquities War appear to me to be the better cc4 spells for this deck,
    with Umezawa's Jitte too, Walking Ballista and Thought-Knot Seer

Maybe ?

2 Trinket Mage
    2 Walking Ballista

3 True-Name Nemesis or Vendilion Clique
    3 Thought-Knot Seer

2 Snap
    3 Cloud of Faeries

4 Chalice of The Void
    4 Force of Will

3 Karn, the Great Creator which is a sort of Cunning Wish for us

4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Day's Undoing

3 Chrome Mox
    2 Mox Diamond
    2 Jeweled Amulet I actually like this card turn 1

5 Island
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Seat of The Synod
    3 Prismatic Vista (the new fetch for basics)

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Wastes

Sideboard:

1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Grindstone
    1 Painter's Servant
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Trinisphere
    1 ...

this is nice with crucible of worlds

Also good with Crucible of Worlds.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This guy fits in to the old Sea Stompy builds nicely.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    This guy fits in to the old Sea Stompy builds nicely.

With Looter it makes a UG or UR Madness Aggro build very interesting

Tomb, Mox, Bazaar, discard Rootwalla, Vengevine.
    Last edited by Parcher; 05-23-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post

Hollow One is interesting too. Very interesting. Cost 3 after Looter activation or none after Bazaar.
    Now with the new fetchland for basics, we could think of Ug Maddness Stompy with a manabase like this or similar ?

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Prismatic Vista
    1 Forest
    1 Tropical Island
    2 to 4 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

to be able to cast from hand the Basking Rootwalla or Vengevine even from hand

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post

Honestly, I like the look of that but it feels really inconsistent. You need to have it all in your hand and the card is just plain card disadvantage if you don't. If the deck had more means to generate meaningful card advantage or utilise the graveyard or the discard effects, it would be better, but as it stands, 3 mana is a lot for a one-shot discard effect in a deck using discard and "discard a card" is a lot in a deck that doesn't use the discard or the graveyard. Though if it's the last card in your hand, it's just a 3/4 flyer for 2U and mill 2, which is fair - but you generally want to jam your 2Us on turn 1-2, not turn 4-5.

UG is likely the best home for it, indeed, but how to build the redundancy and reliability into the support frame is a good question. Certainly, you need more discard outlets and if you want to run Forces and Rootwallas, your blue-count and Chalices will conflict with the plan. If you don't run Chalices, the Stompy shell will lose a lot of its value, much of which is in dropping early Chalices, and if you don't run Forces, you lose one of the big advantages of running blue in the first place. Also, these creatures are all ground pounders that can't get past Gurmag, which can be a tad annoying.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

The only points I would disagree on are that the deck is concerned with card advantage. Never has been. It is concerned with card quality. And very often I would happily discard a bunch of dead cards to draw two. Especially in conjunction with Sea Drake. And that ground creatures are a concern. If they dont have a big threat, the attacks are valid. If they do, we only get our ground guys through casting the evasive ones. So I'm happy to have blockers for Gurmag while my fliers get through.

The inconsistency, both with color in casting and with Blue count, as well as Bazaar being sketchy at best Turns 1-2, are very valid concerns. I'm just trying ideas. A UR burn version with Red Madness also seems interesting. Though way harder on color requirements

Hollow One ignores the color requirements, and is a much easier swap. Reminds me of CoF+Illusory from back in the day. Less harsh restrictions, but also less powerful. 1/1 flier and a 4/4 flier vs a 3/4 flier and a 4/4 vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Thread Information