Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Some time ago I have played against someone using Esperzoa (alongside with 4 Seat of the Synod) in this type of deck.
    The card seems quite good for the deck, especially when you are including Illusiory Angel: Esper Zoa makes sure you always cast one of your artifacts (Chalice, Chrome Mox, Jitte). Don't know if that guy has been considered...
    -GL
    Esperzoa definitely has some synergy in the deck and has been used in the past, but with the rise of RUG Delver and other "fair decks," like Jund, which are packing Lightning Bolt, the Zoa became a little less appealing. You really want to play the flying X/4s (Illusory Angel and Serendib Efreet). I've also seen some people try Fettergeist, but I think the upkeep cost on him is a real issue, since you'll probably have some Cloud of Faeries and Spellstutter Sprites hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by TArceneaux View Post
    Moving along...

Sword of War and Peace provides the most explosive and damaging hands, and also provides the life gain.

As I said, abrupt decay may seem like an issue, and I am not trying to diminish it's brutality versus this deck, but Nemesis solves this problem as I said. I think this card is completely ridiculous, people just don't see it yet...
    Sword of War and Peace may present the fastest clock against a number of decks, but I don't know if that is more significant than the card advantage provided by the other Swords (Fire/Ice & Light/Shadow) or the versatility of Umezawa's Jitte, plus the life gain of those cards (including the virtual life gain of SoFI when used to kill opposing creatures) may likely be on par of better than that provided by SoWP.

The issue with True-Name Nemesis is that it costs 1UU. It might be a reasonable or even very good SB card, but I think the mana cost is somewhat prohibitive give the number of colorless sources in the deck. You ideally want your 3-drops to be deployable on turn one.

What if we were to just take out the existing creatures and make this a hex proof deck with the mono-U stompy shell? The creatures are now good enough: 4 Invisible Stalker and 4 Nemesis. Play swords and jittes and maybe 4-8 of some other guy but with those 8 you have consistent unblockable untargetable guys to use with jitte and swords.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Blue has just the tool to deal with Abrupt Decay - Misdirection.

Maybe this deck can go back to playing 4 Misdirection maindeck. Redirecting Hymns to the opponent and redirecting Decay to one of their creatures is a really powerful play against a Jund / BUG deck.
    don't forget ancestral visions

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    I advide a chalice-less deck.
    playing e.e. at 0 or 1 is more important so that we can kill delvers, lavamancers, tokens etc.
    I prefere not wasting a turn playing a chalice which 40 % of decks will destroy with an abrupt decay .. and playing a further creature.
    so it depends on what creatures you are using. If you are playing with x/4 flyers like serendib and illusory t1 delver is a speed bump. This deck probably doesn't have any trouble with rug. All of your spells at that point are value, they have to bolt and lose a delver to kill an x/4. If you land a chalice vs then its probably game over too....

chalice is good against the other portion of the field that doesn't run abrupt decay. you can't let 1 card determine how you design your main deck. If that was the case no one would play sneak and show in a meta full of karakas' (death and taxes, maverick, lands, miracles)

anyways I'm checking in on this deck cause it's been dead for a long time but maybe TNN will give it that 1 card boost it needs. Others have mentioned that the deck is severely lacking card draw. As with all stompy decks they run out of gas very quickly. Thassa could provide that filtering needed but I hardly see her being a creature in this deck. Bident may have a use here to get some cards but the makes it hard especially with TNN already. I see phantasmal image finding a home here. You won't typically cast chalice on 2 because you run Jittes and cloud of faeries. t1 illusory angel t2 phantasmal image means t3 they are at 8 and t4 dead. PI is also great on TNN which will be your main target.

I'd be very interested to see how a list like this would play

//Creatures 21
    4 Illusory Angel
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Spellstutter Sprite <----is this really that good in here? maybe you want another big beater (serendib / sea drake / vendilion )
    2 phantasmal image
    3 Mulldrifter
    4 True-Name Nemesis

//Other Spells 20
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 sword of light and shadow <---- important as made evident by esper3k
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Force of Will
    2 misdirection
    1 daze

//Lands 19 <--- probably the right number
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Island
    Last edited by apple713; 11-09-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

If you're playing that many Mulldrifters and Spellstutter Sprites, I'd like to see some SoLS in there to get some value back out of the ones that die (especially those Mulldrifters you Evoked away early on).

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I have a feeling that testing out Master of Waves here might not be a bad idea.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    i feel like he probably wouldn't make more than 2-3 tokens. If he's making more tokens then you are probably already winning.

I feel like master of waves would do really well in a deck dedicated to himself where you can get more blue symbols in the costs like merfolk.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    Unless you change the deck to barely resemble anything close to the Faerie Stompy decks we've come to know, Master of Waves seems pretty out of place. The Devotion in the deck tends to be really low. The whole point of Faerie Stompy is to produce a large, evasive threat, supplemented by equipment, and protected by prison elements and light counter magic. MoV is a great card and all, but I just don't think it has the support in this archetype.

Unfortunately, I don't think Faerie Stompy is really a reasonable choice anymore. The incentive to play the deck is/was to be able to either drop a huge threat on turn one or play a Chalice of the Void with X=1. The problem I see is that, as a Chalice deck, FS is pretty weak. MUD, for example, plays Chalice on 1 without much negative impact on itself, and can also play chalice at 2 and 3 without too much collateral damage (thanks to Goblin Welder and Cavern of Souls), whereas FS really can't afford to play Chalice at anything other than 1, unless they're set on board and simply looking to lock the opponent out.

I've been contemplating a FS brew with Crucible of Worlds, Wasteland, and possibly Crystal Vein, as well as a full set of Seat of the Synod to support a Mox Opal and possibly a Mox Diamond (some number of Trinket Mage end up in the list too). My issue is, I keep finding myself wanting to include a few Lotus Petal to get early metalcraft (for Opal) and to increase turn 1 Chalice, Illusory Angel, or other 3cmc flyers. But when I do this, the mana base gets pretty odd and the blue count starts to drop, which makes Force of Will weaker, which is something the deck really can't afford, as it's the only counter outside of Spellstutter Sprite. Additionally, the fewer basic Islands soften the deck's resilience to Blood Moon.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    Unless you change the deck to barely resemble anything close to the Faerie Stompy decks we've come to know, Master of Waves seems pretty out of place. The Devotion in the deck tends to be really low. The whole point of Faerie Stompy is to produce a large, evasive threat, supplemented by equipment, and protected by prison elements and light counter magic. MoV is a great card and all, but I just don't think it has the support in this archetype.

Unfortunately, I don't think Faerie Stompy is really a reasonable choice anymore. The incentive to play the deck is/was to be able to either drop a huge threat on turn one or play a Chalice of the Void with X=1. The problem I see is that, as a Chalice deck, FS is pretty weak. MUD, for example, plays Chalice on 1 without much negative impact on itself, and can also play chalice at 2 and 3 without too much collateral damage (thanks to Goblin Welder and Cavern of Souls), whereas FS really can't afford to play Chalice at anything other than 1, unless they're set on board and simply looking to lock the opponent out.

I've been contemplating a FS brew with Crucible of Worlds, Wasteland, and possibly Crystal Vein, as well as a full set of Seat of the Synod to support a Mox Opal and possibly a Mox Diamond (some number of Trinket Mage end up in the list too). My issue is, I keep finding myself wanting to include a few Lotus Petal to get early metalcraft (for Opal) and to increase turn 1 Chalice, Illusory Angel, or other 3cmc flyers. But when I do this, the mana base gets pretty odd and the blue count starts to drop, which makes Force of Will weaker, which is something the deck really can't afford, as it's the only counter outside of Spellstutter Sprite. Additionally, the fewer basic Islands soften the deck's resilience to Blood Moon.

I think you didn't test the deck enought. the reason is that you sould know you can't keep a hand which doesn't provide you with 3 mana on turn 2.
    Usually for turn 1 nost players use 8 cc2 doprs: 4 chalice of the void and 4 phyrexian revoker

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

@Apple713: I like the list you put up quite a bit (although the 1-of Daze is he only thing that looks odd to me). My suggestion on SoLS vs SoFI was mainly trying to generate discussion. While I do love SoLS for the defensive abilities and what looks to be good synergy (on paper), I also can't deny that SoFI is still a ridiculously fast clock + adds its own card advantage.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    @Apple713: I like the list you put up quite a bit (although the 1-of Daze is he only thing that looks odd to me). My suggestion on SoLS vs SoFI was mainly trying to generate discussion. While I do love SoLS for the defensive abilities and what looks to be good synergy (on paper), I also can't deny that SoFI is still a ridiculously fast clock + adds its own card advantage.
    TNN with either equipment is bonkers BUT without tnn, SoLS creates an engine in a deck that desperately needs card advantage. SoFI is great too, but I think you'll be able to get yourself out of harder situations with SoLS. SoLS protects against the 2 major forms of removal in the format, abrupt decay and swords to plowshares. Additionally the majority of the deck is out of bolt range. Unless people are playing psionic blasts or plummets the SoLS seems like the clear choice.

I dont know if its been mentioned before but seahunter should me in here. Hes an engine by himself. He gets tnn and master of waves.
    Last edited by apple713; 11-11-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    I think you didn't test the deck enought. the reason is that you sould know you can't keep a hand which doesn't provide you with 3 mana on turn 2.
    Usually for turn 1 nost players use 8 cc2 doprs: 4 chalice of the void and 4 phyrexian revoker
    I disagree with the notion that you have to mulligan any hand that doesn't produce 3 mana on turn 2. I would consider keeping a hand with no turn one play other than a land if my second turn was going to be Cloud of Faeries leaving me with 2 untapped lands and the ability to cast Spellstutter Sprite to counter whatever my opponent might play on their next turn. Obviously, it's not the best start and wouldn't be safe against some matchups, but it seems fine against a number of "fair" decks.

But more importantly, I don't see what this comment has to do with my quoted post. Yes, FS is trying to have 3+ mana on turn 2 as often as possible. Turn one is generally either CotV w/ X=1 or a fat flyer off of Sol Land + Mox. I didn't mention anything contrary in my previous post.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Huh. Seahunter. A blue Moggcatcher. Who knew?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Huh. Seahunter. A blue Moggcatcher. Who knew?
    theres a whole cycle

seahunter
    skyshroud poacher
    moggcatcher
    lin sivvi
    rathi assassin

however back to back master of waves seems pretty hot, considering master would put 3 tokens into play at least with sea hunter. if you followed it up next turn they would be 3/2, probably not as good as what moggcatcher can do with siege gang and kiki jikki but its all blue has.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Hi guys,

Below is the list that I'm currently running, I would really appreciate your feedback or any needed changes or problems that you see. Thank you.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mulldrifter
    4 Illusory Angel
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Cloud of Fairies
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Vault Skirge
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice
    9 Island

I strongly feel that Vault Skirge is very underrated in this deck. It's been a champ for me, improving the decks consistently by giving me something to cast when I have one spare mana, and gaining me tons of life thanks to equipment.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    I strongly feel that Vault Skirge is very underrated in this deck. It's been a champ for me, improving the decks consistently by giving me something to cast when I have one spare mana, and gaining me tons of life thanks to equipment.
    While Vault Skirge + Equipment is something that I can get behind in general, I don't think I like Skirge in Faerie Stompy for two reasons:

1) You have to pay 2 life to cast it, and you're playing a deck that often taps multiple Ancient Tombs in a single turn. That's a lot of life loss that doesn't necessarily get recouped, as Skirge is very fragile (small body, artifact, Abrupt Decay-able).

2) By virtue of being an artifact, you cannot imprint the Skirge on a Chrome Mox. This might be a fairly minor point, but could be of some relevance.

You could offset the first point by playing a set of Underground Sea, but that makes you even more susceptible to Wasteland.

Generally, Vault Skirge gains me life. That two life is miniscule relative to how quickly it can gain you life.

That people would consider Abrupt Decaying it in a deck full of Decayable threats is a reflection of how much value you're getting from paying just 1 mana and two life.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

The thing is, you want to play skirge as soon as possible, so I think you'd need 4 copies: playing only 2 feels a bit awkward...
    Ignorance is strength

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    The thing is, you want to play skirge as soon as possible, so I think you'd need 4 copies: playing only 2 feels a bit awkward...
    Nix the mainboard revokers? Ups tempo, gives the deck additional outs to its own lifeloss potential. He probably just casts them whenever he can, its not exactly something you sandbag.

I haven't tested 4 but I wonder if 4 Vault Skirge is too many.

It's a fantastic card, but it's not one you want in multiples. It's the best equipment carrier the deck has to offer, and it's the perfect way to use up a spare mana you have left over during any of your turns, but it's not nearly as powerful if you don't have something to equip it with, so multiples don't do a whole lot.

Revoker likewise is rarely dead and is a great way to use up a spare 2 colorless mana, but has limited utility in certain matchups making it a card that you never want multiples of. These were the reasons I opted for the 2/2 split.

However, like I said, I never tested more than 2, and Vault Skirge has been consistently fantastic in the deck (an MVP in several matchups), and it significantly improved the playability of Illusory Angel so perhaps going up to 4 is the right call.

Some cool cards...

Riptide Chimera 2U
    Enchantment Creature - Uncommon
    Flying 3/4
    At the beginning of your upkeep, return an enchanment you control to its owner's hand.

Daring Thief 2U
    Creature - Human Rogue
    Inspired - Whenever Daring Thief becomes untapped, you may exchange control of target nonland permanent you control and target permanent an opponent controls that shares a card type with it.

Crystalline Nautilus 2U
    4/4
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 04-15-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Thread Information