Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

I played this deck at the GP and failed to make day 3 due to loose playing. I ended up at 6-3 at the end of the day losing to Reanimator, Merfolk, and Dredge. This deck is quite good in the meta right now but due to being a dumbass I didn't prove it to everyone who doubted me.Misdirection and Pestermite are cards I'm not liking as much as I feel I should. One card I really want to test in the SB is Dismember. Llawan is becoming a staple SB card at least in the states so we need to adapt.

GP Providence reportish thing.
    I end up registering this list:
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Seat of the Synod
    9 Island
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    3 Pestermite
    4 Force of Will
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    SB: 3 Sower of Temptation
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Back to Basics
    SB: 3 Misdirection
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Glen Elendra Archmage
    SB: 1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress

Round 1 - Monoblack 2-0
    G1 I win handily thanks to Chalice at 1 and an equipped Revoker naming the Nantuko Shade he had in play.
    G2 Jace brings me back after stabilizing at 1
    Round 2 - UB Reanimator 1-2
    G1 He can't beat a chalice at 1 and a Sea Drake
    G2 I get owned by a turn 3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur after failing to play my B2B when he had 1 land tapped while I had a chalice at 1
    G3 He gets turn 2 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. Turn 3 Iona.
    Round 3 - Jund Persist 2-0
    G1 Turn 1 Chalice at 1. Then he can't beat my bigger dudes and Jace.
    G2 After Trinket Mage into Chalice at 1 I end up Sowering his Kitchen Finks and they seal the deal.
    Round 4 - Monored Burn 2-1
    G1 I have a chalice at 1 plus Jitte. He was never in the game it seemed.
    G2 I can't find a Chalice or Trinket Mage until he has Vexing Susher on the board and he killed every dude I had.
    G3 I get Chalice at 1 amd an Equipped Serendib with a Jitte with a Vortex in play and I raced it successfully.
    Round 5 - Painter Stone 2-0
    G1 He mulls to 5 and doesn't do anything relevant besides playing a Painter Servant which I Forced.
    G2 Revoker while he had 2 Grindstones in play, B2B, and Efreet Seal the deal.
    Round 6 - Bloodbraid Elf Zoo with Boom/Bust 2-1
    G1 I get pounded into the ground and can't find anything to deal with his threats.
    G2 Chalice at 1, B2B and Jace let me stabilize at 2 and I seal the deal after Sowering his Goyf.
    G3 Jace, Jitte, Chalice at 1 and Sea Drake end the game after a rough start.
    Round 7 - Mefolk 2-1
    G1 I eventually get pounded in by some Islandwalking
    G2 SoFI get me there nuff said.
    G3 I land a Jace and Llawan to stabilize at 1 with a Revoker on Vial.
    Round 8 - Merfolk 1-2
    G1 He gets the perfect curve while I don't see Jace or Equipment.
    G2 Ends with a Turn 2 Llawan thanks to the amazing Cloud of Fearies
    G3 He lands Lord of Atlantis and Llawan after a few turns I struggle to end up not finding an answer.
    Round 9 - Dredge 0-2 (Sunshine)
    G1 I open with Efreet, 2 Forces, Revoker, City, Island, Chalice. I ended up removing Force with my Force instead of Efreet countering a Careful Study. Turn 2 he plays Breakthrough for 1 with my Chalice at 1 up. Later on he ends up Theraping himself with a Chalice in play and we don't notice until he finished dredging 17 cards with a Coliseum. Then seals the deal with returning Iona.
    G2 I keep a bad hand because it has Crypt. I crypt a little early and he gets consistent way to dredge. Then puts a nail in my day 2 coffin with Iona.

Pros:
    -Chalice and Cloud of Faeries for being amazing all day long
    -Greatly run event by TJ Collectibles
    -Awesome judges and opponents
    -Legacy just being legacy
    Cons:
    -Not testing enough
    -Playing horribly at the end of the day because of hunger causing mental fatigue

If the GP were tomorrow I would play the deck again except maybe having some dismembers SB over Llawan and a Sower.
    Last edited by Nordlund; 05-31-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Well Known For Being Well-Known
    Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    Hi Rinello. Nice to see I'm not the only one in Italy playing Faerie Stompy (even I play control most times).
    I personally like your list, But I don't actually agree on the strategy behind your build.
    I explain myself better _ there are 2 ways to play faerie stompy. One is the aggro aproach, one is the aggro control approach. you are playing FS like an aggro control, in fact you are worried about what is you opponent doing using 4sower of temptation 4SoL&S 2Jace TMS 1relic 5 anti-aggro slot in your side...
    I think that the strenght of the archetype is the big pressure it can give you opponent. This deck can race any opponent thread by being more fast than your opponent without using 4cc spells (which are even not that easy to cast as far as you are not wasteland immune). Attack is out best defense ! Let your opponent worry about what you play, not the opposite.
    myself I'm playing Djinn's list
    22 mana sources

4 cloud of faeries
    4 serendib efreet
    4 sea drake
    4 trinket mage
    4 phyrexian revoker
    3 pestermite

4 force of will
    4 chalice of the void

3 SoF&I
    3 jitte
    1 sigil

side:
    3 misdirection (a must)
    3 sower of temptation
    3 between: 2/3jace TMS, 2glen elendra, 2/1Llawan, 1masticore (these slot depends on the meta)
    3 back to basics
    1 needle
    1 tormod's crypt
    1 e.e.

to my view jace maindeck is not good:
    what you want to have is your opening hand is:
    2/3 mana sources, 1 trinket mage/FoW/chalice, + dudes and equipments.
    maybe can be a nice sideboard.

Rinello: FS shoud beat aggro decks maindeck quite easily, you shouldn't need swords and propaganda in your side.

How are your test going and you match ups ?
    Ciao!

As I played FS and Dragon Stompy I kind of shifted to a control_ish build and now I regret it.
    Some friends of mine freaked out when Jace TMS was printed and they are doing the same with Koth and Karn... I think that this fact influenced my mind into putting some PWs in a Stompy deck.
    BUT: Stompy decks are aggro, they force YOU to react while putting Chalices and other stuff to force you to play under conditions. While you do that, you die from big fat nasties.

Now that I saw your post I modified my list to a more aggro oriented build.
    I switched SoLS to SoFI and added a Sigil of Distinction. I put Relic and Needle in the SB (I know, I could win with a nice Needle or Relic in game 1, specially against Dredge, but I need to test something REALLY aggro to make a choice) and I left Sowers in (for sheer advantage. They are removal, card advantage, they fly and are just awesome)

I'll test and let you know, I like your list but I don't like Revoker Maindeck much, because I think that nowadays we should play Chalice @2 to block pridemage and such. Drop 1 are less and less played in this season because of mental misstep.

Go play FS! Have fun!
    Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

May 2010
    bologna, italy

Quote Originally Posted by Rinello View Post
    Ciao!
    I've made little changes:

22 classic mana sources

4 cloud of faeries
    4 trinket mage
    4 serendib efreet
    4 sea drake
    2 pestermite
    2 sower of temptation
    2 phyrexian revoker

1 pithing needle
    4 chalice of the void
    4 force of will

7 equipments (3 jitte + 3 SoF&I + 1 sigil )

side:
    3 misdirection
    3 back to basics
    1 sower of temptation
    1 tormodìs crypt
    1 engineered explosives
    2 vendilion clique
    2 rushing river
    2 jace, the mind sculptor

I'm very happy about it

I take out 2 revoker 1 pestermite for 1 needle and 2 sower of temptation so that I increased the number of possibilities to see a pithing needle effects or tutor for them (tot 7).

@Norlund
    I've never actually played FS before but I just have a few questions:
    - How effective/significant was Sigil of Distinction in your games?
    - How smoothly did your deck flow with 2 SoFaI, 2 Jace 2.0 and 4 Trinket Mages as your only sources of immediate card advantage? Did you regret not running any Mulldrifters?
    - Was 4 pieces of equipment enough?
    - I know Jace 2.0 saved you in a couple games and fits the curve of the deck well, but do you think he is really needed in FS?

@Rinello
    About Revoker, Chalice @ 1 already protects your creatures from most legacy removal spells, so wouldn't it be better to just land a turn1 Chalice and use Revoker to stop Pridemage or any other problematic cards that can/may have slipped by?

@anotherday
    Sigil of Distinction is a boss. Making your dudes bigger or at a size where they trade with Knight of Reliquary and Goyf is awesome. Not to mention the clock they put on your opponent. That and it's a fetchable equipment.

The flow of the deck is always nice. That and SoFaI isn't immediate CA as you have to hit the opponent. I personally like Jitte more than the sword. I didn't regret not running Mulldrifters because when you evoke him it lackluster unless you're playing against dredge.

I had plenty of equipment. I think maybe 1 more is the correct number. 7 pieces has never been all that great or amazing for me because I only want 1 per game really but they really aren't needed. So between Trinket Mage and Sigil plus the others I never had a problem when you add in Jace.

I think Jace2.0 is absolutely needed. This deck I always felt since I picked it up like two years ago wanted Brainstorm. Jace is that and much more on a stick. Bouncing a dude to alpha swing, killing other Jaces which are getting more popular with the format slowing down and did I mention brainstorm to smooth your draws. The Scry/Fateseal ability is really nice not gonna lie. Faerie Stompy always had trouble in the late game playing the top deck war I feel. Like people have mentioned before he isn't always the best card to see in your opener but it is never a bad card. With Jace and/or Sower in the deck I feel you should have 1 seat to fetch with Trinket. Need more reasons?

Also QFT
    About Revoker, Chalice @ 1 already protects your creatures from most legacy removal spells, so wouldn't it be better to just land a turn1 Chalice and use Revoker to stop Pridemage or any other problematic cards that can/may have slipped by?

If your meta is full of Emrakul and Prog, Metamorph will suffice. If it's full of Llawan and Iona, Metamorph will unfortunately be useless; Vesuvan Shapeshifter is your answer.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlund View Post
    I think Jace2.0 is absolutely needed. This deck I always felt since I picked it up like two years ago wanted Brainstorm. Jace is that and much more on a stick. Bouncing a dude to alpha swing, killing other Jaces which are getting more popular with the format slowing down and did I mention brainstorm to smooth your draws. The Scry/Fateseal ability is really nice not gonna lie. Faerie Stompy always had trouble in the late game playing the top deck war I feel. Like people have mentioned before he isn't always the best card to see in your opener but it is never a bad card. With Jace and/or Sower in the deck I feel you should have 1 seat to fetch with Trinket. Need more reasons?

Also QFT
    This.

I want to second this over and over, Jace is an absolute house in this deck. So, why am I posting here after all this time? Because I've been testing this list once again, extensively for the past week and a half now, testing different spell combinations pretty hardcore.
    Why? What originally sparked my interested is the newly spoiled Cage, and I figured this deck has the potential to make very good use of it with its ability to Trinket. Also, this decks always had a special place in my heart from years ago.

Starting out I played the deck very traditionally. However, I started to make changes after several days at a time as seen fit. I was originally fairing... pretty bad, probably winning like 1/3 games but ever since I made a few changes I've literally been winning like 3/4 my games or more against most of the current meta.

Let me start with some issues/observations:
    - Pestermite, just sucks against the current meta. Honestly, I twiddle their land at best, maybe tap a creature down. It sucks against Stoneblade, Maverick, ...christ anything. It still pitches to Fow dont worry.
    - Sword of Light and Shadow has also been underwhelming. This might seem odd, due to all the white and black removal and creatures in the meta, but I'll tell you why. 1) I rarely get to make use of its recursion ability; 2) removal has changed these days with cards like Punishing Fire & Dismember, moreoften than not they remove the creature in response anyways, so generally the "protection stance" is more often irrelevant. I eventually cut down to just 1, but it's debatable if I'll end up keeping it we'll see.
    - Too many equipment. I started out with something like 7-8, I've eventually cut down to 5! It's because although dropping a SoFI wins games, it's slow and taxing against your tempo, especially if anything gets removed in the process of equiping too. It's a big investment, so what you really want is a hand with like 3 creatures and 1 equip, but many times before I'd have hands with 2 creatures, 2 equip.. 2x guys get countered, you're stuck with equip in your hand.

This is my list so far:

//Mana Sources (22)
    9 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox

//Spells (38)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Mulldrifter
    2 Sower of Temptation
    2 Man-O'-War
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    4 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

All right, from testing Jace has been awesome. In all honestly, I lost so many matches playing against the bastard... can't beat 'em, join 'em right. When opponents would get him out, it was literally like hitting a brick wall. Assuming SofI isn't equipped, he can literally lock you out of victory repeatedly bouncing your shit over and over. But after testing him for a few days FOR this deck he provides so much needed CA. Worst case scenario you still get to use his ability, then opponent has to waste an attack turn or burn/resources to remove him allowing you to drop creatures and equipment next turn to set up. I think 3 is the right number, worst case there's almost always something to pitch any spares.
    Man-O'-War seems really random, but it's not a mistake. He's good. He's filling the place of pestermite, and he's done a considerably better job. He allows you to do stuff like.. drop Chalice1, opponent plays creature, bounce their creature back and lock it out. Between him & Jace they kill tempo, and allow you to get Trinkets and lock them out of spells. Another thing versus stoneblade worth mentioning, he bounces Germs back to their hand . Oh, another creature that hates this, Delver. Let them flip their 3/2, next turn bounce it back to their hand.. oh wait, you can't play that with Chalice can you :) Bounce their Tombstalker, bounce their Arbor, Knight, there's always something worthwhile.
    The most hilarious so far was against a sligh deck running running Figure of Destiny. I bounced his "Spirit Warrior" back to his hand in the last game, otherwise he woulda won. There's something funny about watching someone invest like 6 mana into a creature and bounce it heh.

I think this deck has a lot of potential still, and it's still worth exploring. It has the capabilities with dealing with a lot of hate, and with B2B, Revoker, and soon Cage I think this deck can compete.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What about 2-4 Batterskulls in this deck? It's a recurring creature, an equipment, life gain, and it is quite affordable for this deck to cast.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

I think I am going to test the new 3/4 flier in Avacyn Restored. That means we could run 12 creatures that cost 2U. Plus I was trying Extravagant Spirit and this new card is superior.

I like Misthollow Griffin more than Fettergeist. Paying mana to keep a dude is just plain bad unless he wins in 1 swing. Where as with Griffin you can turn your Chrome Mox into Mox Sapphire and makes your FoW pitches better.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlund View Post
    I like Misthollow Griffin more than Fettergeist. Paying mana to keep a dude is just plain bad unless he wins in 1 swing. Where as with Griffin you can turn your Chrome Mox into Mox Sapphire and makes your FoW pitches better.
    AFAIK when you replay him Chrome Mox loses Imprint and no longer produces Blue. Still I could see it working as one of the biggest issues back in the day was Chrome Mox + Force of Will and the lack of Blue cards to pitch considering the high Artifact count. TBH though this deck suffers from bigger issues that really will never bring it past Tier 2.5 barring any insane printings.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

I checked and you are correct the mox doesn't work after you cast the griffin. I would not recommend playing the griffin anyways at 4cc the slots are full and the removal spells that are played that exile most likely won't be cast anyways because you should have a chalice at 1. If it isn't equipped then it is a very lackluster creature to have.
    @Mystical_Jackass
    I like the list. I loved Pestermite in the deck since I put him in. Allows for tricks and the untap ability on the lands is incredible. Also I have had my fair share of alpha strikes because that faerie. Man-O'-War seems subpar no evasion and the ability isn't very exciting unless you have Jace at that point it is win more I feel. I could be wrong though.

What about this one?
    Something to work with...

The Sakashima's Student desserves a look too.

Messing around with this deck at multiple local Legacy events in Michigan and having surprising success. Here's my most updated list:

4 Fettergeist
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Mulldrifter

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

Right now SoLS is the solution to Esper Stoneblade, and in testing I have positive match-ups against combo and RUG. Deck is very fun and very rogue, definitely think Fettergeist makes this deck more consistent and worth playing. Possibly taking it to a 1k at BC Comix in Fenton MI in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

A card I also liked with Trinket Mage was Chimeric Mass if you needed to get a bigger creature rather than equipment.

I've been fiddling around with a Sea/Faerie Stompy list too!

// Lands
    8 [ZEN] Island (3a)
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
    4 [AVR] Fettergeist
    4 [P12] Illusory Angel
    4 [R] Serendib Efreet
    2 [FNM] Mulldrifter
    4 [AVR] Misthollow Griffin

// Spells
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    3 [GPX] Umezawa's Jitte
    2 [SOM] Mox Opal
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 [IN] Manipulate Fate

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [6E] Cursed Totem
    SB: 2 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
    SB: 3 [V09] Trinisphere
    SB: 3 [COM] Propaganda
    SB: 4 [SHM] Faerie Macabre

The sideboard needs work - it's mainly right now for broad matchups.

I cut all the 4/3's because right now, there are too many 3 power dudes (Delver, Mongoose) and Lightning Bolts running around.

Oh I've also been having some issues with Tarmogoyfs and I'd love to hear if anyone has a good solution to them. Mind Harness is great, but Chalice @ 1 makes it not optimal to use in our deck.
    Last edited by Esper3k; 07-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Oh I've also been having some issues with Tarmogoyfs and I'd love to hear if anyone has a good solution to them. Mind Harness is great, but Chalice @ 1 makes it not optimal to use in our deck.
    I usually run 2 sower of temptation maideck and 2 control magic in sb.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    I usually run 2 sower of temptation maideck and 2 control magic in sb.
    Yeah, I have a couple in my board for testing (even maindecked a couple Gilded Drakes in testing for awhile).

I'm also considering Submerge and Hibernation as well.

Too bad Mind Harness costs 1!

Apr 2007
    The District

For reference, this is the list I've begun testing:

Creatures (24):

4x Illusory Angel
    3x Cloud of Faeries
    4x Fettergeist
    4x Serendib Efreet
    3x Phantasmal Image
    3x Mulldrifter
    3x Pestermite

Business (18):

3x Umezawa’s Jitte
    4x Force of Will
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow

Lands (18):

4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    10x Island

I haven't begun to work on the sideboard yet.

EDIT: LOL RTFC. I don't actually own the copies yet, buddy said it was reverse Esperzoa for critters. My bad.

Also, while I enjoy the Manipulate Fate/Misthollow Griffin combo, I think it leads to too many turns of durdling around. But I'd be interested in testing it more, even though 6 slots dedicated to it seems awfully steep.
    Last edited by Honoluluicecaps; 07-20-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: RTFC

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I must be missing something here - how are you bouncing your guys again?

The list I've been messing with is intended to fight all the Mongoose/Delver/Lightning Bolts (ie, RUG) with 3/4 dudes (thus all the Fettergeists, Serendibs, Illusory Angels while cutting the Sea Drakes).

Whether or not it's effective is a different matter - I was just enamored with the idea of all the 3/4 fliers for 2U.

Misthollow Griffin was another card I wanted to play around with. In this deck, it also synergizes with Chrome Mox and Force of Will, letting us turn the early card disadvantage into a mid game 3/3 flier. It's also pretty hilarious in matchups where you're facing down exile removal like StP/PtE.

Manipulate Fate pretty much turns into a 4 for 1 when you cast it (I stole that idea from the Food Chain thread) except in this deck, we can actually just keep pooping out a Griffin every turn.

Thread Information