Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Was bored at home and started to brew Fatties in the Sky. Here is the current list.

4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Illusory Angel
    4 Fettergeist
    4 Misthollow Griffin
    2 Sower of Temptation
    3 Mulldrifter

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    4 Force of Will
    3 Manipulate Fate
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

11 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Used to play Dragon Stompy and found biggest problem was card draw. Tried using more card interactions to build up some type of card advantage. Let me know what you think. I did not include Sea Drake because in testing he was a lighting bolt rod.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Hah glad to see other people trying out the Manipulate Fate / Misthollow Griffin tech!

I've been experimenting with Moltensteel Dragons because I found myself wanting more fat.

It feels almost like a suicide deck every time I play them, but man that guy hits hard!

Misthollow Griffin tech is used for Chrome Mox, Force of will, and Manipulate Fate.

I understand how we beat Rug- Fatties with big butts and Stone Blade with one fatty, one sword, one win. How do we beat Maverick? Also Death and Taxes seems like a terrible match up.

On the dragon? Its like a hill for a fat kid; wrong scenario.

Let me know hoe the testing goes and what do you feel a sideboard would look like?

One I was thinking about was

3 Cursed Totem (Screw Mav and Grizzy)
    3 Propaganda (Merfolk, Dredge, and Goblins)
    2 Faerie Macabre (Grave Hate)
    3 Trinisphere (Combo)
    4 Submerge (Mav and RUG)

Apr 2007
    The District

The issue I'm running into is casting Illusory Angel consistently, in other ways than the standard play of sol land, mox, angel, go. Cloud of Faeries is working very well for me, and the ability to cycle it is relevant.

I'm on board with Misthollow Griffin, although I've cut Fettergeist from my list. I really like the addition of Phantasmal Image as well.

Also, @lambert, I see you've gone down to three equipments. Are you finding that to be an issue? I don't like playing with less than 5, but I suppose with the addition of Jace your version plays significantly different from the hyper-aggressive versions.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I have been running 3x Chrome Mox, 2x Mox Opal to help with the casting of Illusory Angels (see my list a few posts back).

Been testing some Revokers and a couple Moltensteels main to add a little more disruption and beef. I ended up trimming down to 5 equipment for now (3x Jitte, 2x SoFI).

SOLS, while powerful defensively, doesn't really put much of a clock on your opponents and while the interaction with Mulldrifter & Faerie Macabre is cute, I feel Mulldrifter is just too slow right now.

With moving away from SoLS, I cut the Faerie Macabres and are now running Tormod's Crypts since it helps both with metalcraft as well as helps Illusory Angels get cast.

Jace is in the list because its Jace 2.0! He gives you card draw and can hid behind fatties and win.

The equipment have been mehh. I want to go up but do not know what to cut. The angel has been a problem of late but is so good against RUG.

F. Giest is becoming a pain. I do not like Sea Drake. Revokers sound like a tricky plan. Mox opal does not seem good at all. I am thinking about cutting the angel for Trinket Mage and one gesit for another Jitte. Thoughts?

P.S. Love Finding Chalice with Mage.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Trinket Mage is played in a lot of older lists. In addition to Chalice, Sigil of Distinction is also a popular target to find. If you're wanting a creature, Chimeric Mass is also searchable. A 1 or 2-of Seat of the Synod is also popular to fetch with Trinket Mage in case you need mana.

My issue with Trinket Mage has always been that he's slow and the stuff you tend to tutor up isn't that great if you've been Wastelanded.

Mox Opal has been fine for me - it means you need to run 4x Seat of the Synod, but it's intended more for T2 or 3 Angel than the explosive T1 Angel.

Esper, what's your list look like and any boarding theories against the big 3 (mav, rug, control miracles/stone blade)?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Here's the current list I'm messing with. I'm probably going to swap the Moltensteels out for Jace's, but I don't like too many UU casting spells in this deck.

// Lands
    8 [ZEN] Island (3a)
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
    4 [AVR] Fettergeist
    4 [P12] Illusory Angel
    4 [R] Serendib Efreet
    4 [AVR] Misthollow Griffin
    2 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    2 [NPH] Moltensteel Dragon

// Spells
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    3 [GPX] Umezawa's Jitte
    2 [SOM] Mox Opal
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    2 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 [IN] Manipulate Fate

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 [6E] Cursed Totem
    SB: 2 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
    SB: 3 [V09] Trinisphere
    SB: 2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    SB: 3 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 [NE] Submerge

==============================
    I like Cursed Totem against Maverick, but it's not as amazing as one would think simply because it doesn't attack. Revoker is in some ways a little better here since you can slap some equipment on it and go to town.

Against RUG, I'd board out the Revokers and bring in the Submerges & Trinispheres.

Against UW, I'd bring in the Jaces and Revokers while probably cutting Jittes.

I kind of want to try and fit in Smokestack somewhere against control and RUG, but I'm not certain it's a fast enough answer. Still, Smokestack against a deck that has few permanents seems pretty awesome.

Esper I like your list. The only changes I can think of would be to drop a Jitte for a second M. Fate and the Moltensteels for 2 Jace.

In the side change the Jaces for Echoing Truth?
    I could see this deck rising up to preform positively against the field. Keep the brew going. As for a name I like "Fat Bottom Girls."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    Esper I like your list. The only changes I can think of would be to drop a Jitte for a second M. Fate and the Moltensteels for 2 Jace.

In the side change the Jaces for Echoing Truth?
    I could see this deck rising up to preform positively against the field. Keep the brew going. As for a name I like "Fat Bottom Girls."
    Thanks!

I did end up dropping the Moltensteels for Jaces because as much as I liked the Moltensteels, I wanted a little more versatility. I'm already playing 2x Manipulate Fate and have considered going up to 3, but I'm not certain I like going below 5 equipment in the deck since they double both as a clock & removal for us.

Here's the list I played in our local Legacy tournament yesterday:

// Lands
    8 [ZEN] Island (3a)
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
    4 [AVR] Fettergeist
    4 [P12] Illusory Angel
    4 [R] Serendib Efreet

// Spells
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    3 [GPX] Umezawa's Jitte
    2 [SOM] Mox Opal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    2 [IN] Manipulate Fate
    2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [TE] Propaganda

I'm playing with a Revokers because they give us another 2 drop we can play off a single Sol Land on T1 as well as giving us a disruptive body. Being an artifact helps with Metalcraft and they also aid in the Maverick matchup (shutting off Nobles, Pridemages, Knights, etc.).

In the board, while I liked Cursed Totems, my testing against Maverick showed that Cursed Totem alone was not enough. Oftentimes, you slow them down with Totem and then they drop a 5/5 Knight and you still lose.

Propaganda is a new addition I was trying out which I believe should help against the tribal and aggro matchups.

Still trying to work out what to board out in my list as well.

Small Report:

Round 1 - vs RGW Stoneblade Aggro Loam
    Game 1: I get out an early Chalice @ 1. He manages to get out Elspeth and an Ooze, but I have a Fettergeist and Jace gets me enough card advantage so that when I trade Jace for his Espeth, he's left with 0 cards + soldier vs my 2 cards with Fettergeist & SoFI. Fettergeist + SoFI goes the distance.

-3 Umezawa's Jitte (I feel this is bad in the matchup against Loam since all their guys are huge)
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker (Shuts off Knight, Top, etc.)
    +2 Sower of Temptation

*On a side note, with a deck like this, I don't tend to board in yard hate against Loam style decks since I feel that we should be trying to outrace them instead of durdling around with yard hate. I could be wrong though and am open to discussion on this.

Game 2: He opens with Wasteland, Mox Diamond into a 1/2 Goyf. I open with Islands, Sol land, double Revoker, Force w/ Griffin. He misses his land drop, so I Revoker his Mox Diamond then Revoker the Jitte he drops next turn. I eventually get down an attacker and finish the game.

Round 2 - vs GW Maverick
    Game 1: I on the play, I T1 Chalice @ 1 then T2, Chrome Mox (Imprinting Griffin) into Illusory Angel. T3 play the Griffin out of the Chrome Mox and my fast fliers get there.

-4 Force of Will
    -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    +2 Cursed Totem
    +1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +2 Sower of Temptation

Game 2: I get a fast Serendib out, but he ramps up and gets a Knight, then casts Sigarda! Ugh. Sigarda pretty much shuts me down and when he GSZ's for an Ulvenwald Tracker and gets that active, I can't overwhelm him with fliers before he kills me.

Game 3: This one is pretty brutal. I lead off with a T1 Revoker on Noble Hierarch. He GSZ's for Dryad Arbor. I drop Cursed Totem which shuts the Arbor off. T3 I drop Jitte then Angel. He drops his own Jitte and eventually O-Rings the Angel, but I have a Serendib out and my double Sowers steal anything relevant he plays.

Round 3 - vs UW CounterThopter w/ Terminus

Game 1: I mull to 6 and open a hand of Island, Chalice, City, Force, Manipulate Fate, Serendib. I drop Chalice @ 1 and we fight a FoW battle over it. Then I drop T2 Serendib. He goes T2 Stoneforge Mystic getting Sword of the Meek, T3 naturally flip Terminus, drop Sword of the Meek, T4 Thopter Foundry. I didn't draw another land the rest of the game.

-1 Jitte
    +1 Revoker

*I'm not sure if I should've brought in the Propagandas or yard hate, but I feel if I'm needing the Propagandas, the match is already over. I think maybe I should've brought in 2 Crypts for the other two Jitte's?

Game 2: I go with the T1 Chrome Mox (Imprinting Griffin) into Fettergeist. My T2 Revoker gets Forced. He again goes T2 TF, T3 Stoneforge, T4 Sword and I lose the game shortly after that.

Not quite sure how to deal with the control matchup right now. Possibly should have brought in the Trinispheres? Smokestack has been good against control, historically, but these days control decks tend to make lots of tokens, which aren't as good. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on that?

Esper, try bringing in the propaganda against control. If they stick then the tokens should not be a problem. This may start to become my pet deck. Also throwing around the idea of etched champion in your revoker slot.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Esper, try bringing in the propaganda against control. If they stick then the tokens should not be a problem. This may start to become my pet deck. Also throwing around the idea of etched champion in your revoker slot.
    I was thinking about this the other day as well. In my Dragon Stompy list, I really liked the Etched Champions.

In this deck, I think they're a little harder to balance since we have to make sure to keep a high enough blue count for Force of Will.

If I cut 2 Fettergeists for 2 Champions, that still leaves 20 blue cards in the deck...

Agreed about the blue count. I just love the free hits with a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Here's the current list I'm messing with. I'm probably going to swap the Moltensteels out for Jace's, but I don't like too many UU casting spells in this deck.

// Lands
    8 [ZEN] Island (3a)
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [MR] Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
    4 [AVR] Fettergeist
    4 [P12] Illusory Angel
    4 [R] Serendib Efreet
    2 [NPH] Moltensteel Dragon

// Spells
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox
    3 [GPX] Umezawa's Jitte
    2 [SOM] Mox Opal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    2 [IN] Manipulate Fate

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    SB: 3 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 [NE] Submerge
    Are the Seats of Synod for Choke?

That and metalcraft.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Yeah mainly for Metalcraft (Mox Opals), especially if you're playing Etched Champion, which I'm currently testing (-4 Fettergeist, +3 Etched Champion, +1 Revoker to the list I played this weekend).

I think them being resistant to Choke is a wash with being susceptible to Wasteland.

That and metalcraft.
    Ah, I didn't notice that mox opal. Thanks!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    *On a side note, with a deck like this, I don't tend to board in yard hate against Loam style decks since I feel that we should be trying to outrace them instead of durdling around with yard hate. I could be wrong though and am open to discussion on this.

*I'm not sure if I should've brought in the Propagandas or yard hate, but I feel if I'm needing the Propagandas, the match is already over. I think maybe I should've brought in 2 Crypts for the other two Jitte's?
    Against the Loam match, I think it depends on the type of graveyard hate. Extirpate and to a lesser degree Surgical Extraction (only Surgical is relevant here, as you are not running black beside Mox Opal), I may bring in. Same with Relic of Progenitus. However, Tormod's Crypt is too easily broadcast and you are only going to get one Loam. Plus, they can hold a cycle land to cycle in response to cracking Crypt (that is why Extirpate is strong here, although not an option in mono-blue). You made the right move by leaving your Crypts out and focusing on winning through the skies.

In the Thopters match up, I think the card you really want is Aura Flux. I realize it's very limited and hurts you too, so it's probably not worth the sideboard slot. Given the current list, Revoker on Thopter Foundry is probably your best bet. I don't think Crypt is right here because they will just leave 1 mana open to sac any other artifact, including the Foundry to pull Sword back off of the Crypt activation. I would only run Crypt if I was worried about other graveyard recursion such as SCM, Academy Ruins, etc., but those seem very narrow and not worth diluting the deck. Propaganda seems like already losing, as you mentioned. Llawan? I think it's right to leave Jittes in here (as you did) because it allows you to consume 3 Thopter tokens with each swing (assuming they block). Depending upon the mana situation, you can outrace them.
    It seems like your opponent ran well in these matches, so I don't think the UW mach up is as helpless as it looks.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Against the Loam match, I think it depends on the type of graveyard hate. Extirpate and to a lesser degree Surgical Extraction (only Surgical is relevant here, as you are not running black beside Mox Opal), I may bring in. Same with Relic of Progenitus. However, Tormod's Crypt is too easily broadcast and you are only going to get one Loam. Plus, they can hold a cycle land to cycle in response to cracking Crypt (that is why Extirpate is strong here, although not an option in mono-blue). You made the right move by leaving your Crypts out and focusing on winning through the skies.

In the Thopters match up, I think the card you really want is Aura Flux. I realize it's very limited and hurts you too, so it's probably not worth the sideboard slot. Given the current list, Revoker on Thopter Foundry is probably your best bet. I don't think Crypt is right here because they will just leave 1 mana open to sac any other artifact, including the Foundry to pull Sword back off of the Crypt activation. I would only run Crypt if I was worried about other graveyard recursion such as SCM, Academy Ruins, etc., but those seem very narrow and not worth diluting the deck. Propaganda seems like already losing, as you mentioned. Llawan? I think it's right to leave Jittes in here (as you did) because it allows you to consume 3 Thopter tokens with each swing (assuming they block). Depending upon the mana situation, you can outrace them.
    It seems like your opponent ran well in these matches, so I don't think the UW mach up is as helpless as it looks.
    I agree on Loam. My experience has told me that yard hate is actually not that amazing against it since they can play around most hate with their cycling lands.

It also felt like he drew extremely well against me with Thopters. My current list is up to the full 4 Revokers between main & SB, which I'm fine with because they give me a little more disruption.

I had thought about Energy Flux, but man that hurts me so much as well!

Thread Information