Ontario, Canada

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Why the miser's Daze?

Also 0 Sea Drake? I must be out of the loop with this deck
    Pox
    Imperial Painter
    Team America

Wouldn't Treasure Cruise be really good in this deck? Even if the deck can't fill its GY as quickly as a more cantrippy deck, it can cast the Cruise for 3-4 pretty easily, and burns through enough cards that the extra card draw over TFK would probably be welcomed. Seems better than Muldrifter too.

I was also thinking this. The issue is that we don't have a lot of cantrips. There might be a different deck that isn't Stompyesque that can better take advantage of of it though. Most of our other graveyard fillers are also draw effects, but stuff like Drifter and TfK.

Stuff gets countered/killed, and it could always try and squeeze a couple fetch for more GY filler.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So I've been testing this list and have been getting some really good results against the field:

10 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Relic of Progenitus

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Trinket Mage
    1 Mulldrifter

4 Force of Will
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Misdirection

SB:
    4 Sower of Temptation
    4 Winter Orb
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Misdirection

Serum Powder is insane in this deck. I don't know why people haven't tried this combination more often, because it solves most of the problems that Stompy decks like this tend to have: bad draws and too much mulliganing. Getting Serum Powder in your opening hand means you basically get a free mulligan to try to get a Tomb/City + Chalice hand once again. Additionally, if you have SB silver bullets (like Sower of Temptation vs. Show and Tell or Tormod's Crypt vs. Reanimator), your chances of getting them in G2 and G3 are much increased with Serum Powder.

If you play Misthollow Griffin, Serum Powder and Force of Will are even more powerful because with Powder, you basically get an extra card in hand if you exile Misthollow because the Griffin becomes another 2UU creature you can play once you get the mana for it. If you Serum Powder with a Griffin in hand and keep your second hand, you start with 8 cards in hand, essentially. Force of Will becomes a free counter if you pitch Griffin to it.

The key to making Serum Powder work is playing 4 Thirst of Knowledge. Playing Thirst makes Powder much better in the mid-game as a draw, because pitching Powder to Thirst is perfectly acceptable play in terms of card advantage whereas without Thirst you have no way to get rid of dead Powders that you draw.

Another thing of note is 4 Winter Orb as a sideboard card. These artifacts essentially win you the game by themselves vs. mana-hungry control decks like Miracles, Lands, and BUG Shardless type decks.

Honestly I don't think this deck has any really bad matchups if you play Powder (almost guaranteeing you Chalice of the Void against the decks it hoses) and Winter Orb in the sideboard. You guys should really revisit Powder+Griffin+Thirst. It feels really powerful and I think I am going to take this deck to GP: New Jersey if I go.
    Guess its worth the shot. Havent you considered TC or DTT tp improve consistency in this build?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Where the Faeries at anyway? Was expecting more stuff like Bitterblossom, Vendilion Clique, Spellstutter Sprite, etc.
    I guess this is more like Seabird Stompy.
    It should be called "Like a G6" instead :-)

Faerie Stompy is my "pet deck I never top 8 with", and I'm considering putting it back together after a 5 year hiatus. I always had trouble making the right decicions what to pitch to FoW and Chrome Mox, usually resulting in mediocre results at tournaments.

Now it seems that Misthollow Griffin is an auto-include as a re-castable pitch target and if you bring back Cloud of Faeries you can run illusory angel, having 8 possibilities to cast 2 spells in a turn. I'm considering an aggro build with 3 Jitte, 4 SofaI, 4 Psionic Blast and 4 Cloud of Faeries.
    Threads of Disloyalty: Take control of target Tarmogoyf. Smother: Destroy target Tarmogoyf. Spellsnare: Counter target Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce: Counter target non-Tarmogoyf spell.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

This deck can indeed support 2 Treasure Cruises. It's also synergetic with Griffin.

On another note, has anyone tried Venser maindeck to cope with Show and Tell/Miracles + Riptide Lab to loop him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Hey All,

Your foremost authority on this archetype returns! (lol)

With the huge increase in UR delver in the meta lately, I believe Chalice of the Void is better than it's every been, and this is the most aggressive deck Chalice can fit in to.

I've been taking a look at my last SCG OPEN top 8 with Sea Stompy and I've decided to test something new. I don't know if I'll play this at GPNJ this weekend, but if I do, it will look something like this.

Next Level Sea Stompy:

//Creatures 21
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Illusory Angel
    3 Spellstutter Sprite
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 True-name Nemesis
    1 Venser-Shaper Savant
    1 Mulldrifter

//Artifacts 11
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

//Other Spells 9
    4 Force of Will
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Misdirection
    1 Dig through Time

//Lands 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Karakas
    3 Tundra
    3 Island
    1 Plains

//Sideboard 15
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Chill
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Submerge
    2 Rest in Peace
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Kor Firewalker
    1 Misdirection
    1 Cursed Totem

Hey TArceneaux, did you play this at NJ? If so, how'd it go.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Fishy View Post
    Hey TArceneaux, did you play this at NJ? If so, how'd it go.
    Pretty sure he didn't, I believe he played MUD.

When I talk to him I'll let him know to check-in here.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hi

I have one question about Chalice Of The Void

If I have on field : Chalice Of The Void with 2 counters

And after, I would like to spell Chalice Of the Void with 1 counter. Does this second CoV countered by the first because it converted mana cost" is 2? Or not because it converted mana cost is still 0 ?

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So here's a thought. If Chalice of the Void @ 1 is the reason to play this deck, and it's one of the best plays on Turn 1 that this deck has... what are some ways to ensure we get it as often as possible?

What about Serum Powder? If you play Misthollow Griffin, you get another way to put it into exile for later casting. And with Powder, you can almost ensure that you can play Chalice of the Void @ 1 if you need to in any given game. And while Powder is a bad draw for the deck later, you can play 4 Thirst for Knowledge and lessen its deadness by pitching to Thirst.

Here's a list I've been testing that is "all in" on Chalice of the Void @ 1 as often as possible:

10 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Trinket Mage

4 Force of Will
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Misdirection

Hi! My deck have a similarly skill with The Serum Powder and having some interesting result with it.

This is my list : http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-on-Faerie-St

Should I put her in this Thread, I make mistake, I created a new one but it's a Faerie Stompy.

10 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Winter orb

4 Illusory Angel
    4 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet

4 Force of Will
    4 Thirst for Knowledge

Phyrexian Revoker could be in MD instead of the 2 slots of Winter orb

Dec 2014
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ManOrAstroman View Post
    Hi

I have one question about Chalice Of The Void

If I have on field : Chalice Of The Void with 2 counters

And after, I would like to spell Chalice Of the Void with 1 counter. Does this second CoV countered by the first because it converted mana cost" is 2? Or not because it converted mana cost is still 0 ?

Thanks a lot
    it gets countered, since its cmc is 2 while it's on the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatojim View Post
    it gets countered, since its cmc is 2 while it's on the stack.
    ok thanks. So should put CoV@1 before CoV@2

Quote Originally Posted by frafen View Post
    What do you think about Ensoul Artifact (the new enchantment from m15)? It's a 5/5 for with haste on turn 2 if on turn one you play a Chalice, a Trinisphere or a Mox.

What's happen if I put Chrome Mox and in the same turn I put Ensoul Artifact attached to mox. Can I attack with it now like haste even though I just putted Mox?

Dec 2014
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ManOrAstroman View Post
    What's happen if I put Chrome Mox and in the same turn I put Ensoul Artifact attached to mox. Can I attack with it now like haste even though I just putted Mox?
    no, you can't attack, since the "creature" (mox) was not under your control at the beginning of your turn. You could attack if you enchant something that was already in play.

there are two problems with the faerie deck

first, when you put on T1 a Sea Drake with mox and one land => 90% of time the opponent think that you must return the only one land, and you must wait and show Google's Rule, and sometimes you will kicked out the game after that....

Second, when you put on T1 CoV versus a 1 mana curve deck without response => kicked out the game without g2...

Anyone here think Frostwalker has potential in this deck as a nice aggressive threat to add some consistency to threat package?

IMO, a major problem that contributes to the inconsistency of this deck is the lack of ability to play any aggressive threats for the first several turns if you don't happen to have a Sol Land in your opening hand.

Frostwalker is a 4/1 for 1U. While its fragile, no one blocks in legacy anyways and the fact that you can cast a 4 powered threat turn one off of a Chrome Mox + Island on turn 1 is a huge bonus. Yes, Dandan does the same thing but a cc of 1U is vastly superior to a cc of UU.

What if this deck played Day's Undoing?

The recent Affinity list that top8ed the Premiere IQ in Chicago played Day's Undoing and it's doing some similar things - playing out Chalice of the Void and other permanents.

The idea being that you play your Chalices and Moxen and permanents, then at some point you'll play a Day's Undoing with few things in your hand and just refuel.

Seems like it could be really good here.

I'm certain this goes without saying, but bringing Chalices and B2Bs to an unsuspecting meta can be...really nice!

I just started playing again, so the deck was a bit dated (Control Magic in the SB instead of MD Sowers...yeah), but still, even with that, and some terrible misplays due to being rusty, I think the deck still functions really well. Been trying to update myself on all that I've missed during my haiatus. Illusinary Angels with CoF looks solid, Misthollow Griffin seems absolutely perfect on paper, and Revoker, while awesome, I can't seem to find the space for them, yet.

Anyway, judging by the activity here, it looks like the deck is even more of a dark horse than it was a few years back, but I'm thinking there's still some life in the old nag!

Thread Information