Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    Could we stop crying about the Pridemages? He's removing just ONE artifact of us - Challice 1 or an equipment.
    While that is true, removing that one artifact (Chalice or a Sword) all of a sudden turns on on all of those dead Bolts/Paths/StPs and makes the game that much harder to win.

In the GP I faced 4 zoos, and they all played 4 Qasali Pridemage maindeck. I can tell of 4 games they played it and I still won. The games I lost were because I did not draw chalice of the void or my hand was less aggressive. Whereas a single event testing is nothing compared to a 100-matches testing series, I am in a good position the say it's a card I do not want to come across but definitely it does not have the 'good game clause' on its text

Qasali Pridemage : one more reason to run Snuff out...

maybe we have to play a bit different against zoo than usual like "don't be afraid to play 2 challice at 1" or even needle him preboard^^

cards like snuff out won't help if they are on 4 mana otherwise any of our actual equipment will deal with qasali until he could be used!

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

We already run Pithing Needle maindeck. The problem against decks like Zoo, is that you want to drop your Chalice@1 asap, otherwise you'll get beaten down by the fast aggro and your own Tombs too fast.

Zoo is one of the harder match-ups for Faerie Stompy. If you can't get your Chalice@1 to stick, and often you can't, it races you with cheaper creatures with about the same body. Along with that they have plenty of removal and burn. So what are good options against Zoo? We should come up with a solid sideboard plan against fast aggro.

Weatherseed Faeries seem way too narrow, with Back to Basics they'll just end up fetching basics. Hibernation seems okay, but doesn't help against Kird Ape, Loam Lion or Steppe Lynx.

Perhaps we should resort to some more defensive cards like Glacial Wall, Tidal Wave, Wall of Deceit or Wall of Tears? Ofcourse, most of these walls aren't exactly good with equipment, but I'm willing to test some.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Submerge is excellent. Misdirection too. Control Magic overloads their Qasalis some more. And if you for whatever reason don't rely on Chalice at 1, Relic-fetch to shut down Grim & Goyf and slow down KoR is an option too. Though the basic plan of "Chalice at 1, at 2 if you draw second, Force Qasali if you don't and if they draw it, second Chalice at 1 if you don't have time to play Chalice at 2" has served me really well. Do you truly find the MU to be as difficult as you make it out to be? They don't run Force, they don't run Daze, cutting into their tempo tools quite a bit. They only have 4 MD ways to remove Chalice, all of which are horribly slow (3 is Krosan Grip-mana). If they have to remove Chalice, even if they do it, you can generally beat them. They can't let Jitte get online and they can't really race SoFI efficiently.

Btw, just tested Dazes a bit; don't like at all, how they are dead topdecks. I don't think this deck wants any; so many matches are won 'cause your live topdecks are so brutal that I don't really wanna touch that aspect.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

The problem with Zoo is the overabundance of removal: Path to Exile removes everything, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix and Chain Lightning remove all your creatures except Serendib Efreet. While Serendib Efreet isn't exactly my prime choice against Zoo; they race him way too easily. I already have Control Magic in the sideboard, I love it. But it's still pretty slow. It's hard to stabilize when they're beating face. I'll try the Submerges and Misdirections.

And what of Goblins and Merfolk? I've come very close to giving them up. Goblins is way too explosive and Merfolk is unblockable. Our prime weapon, Chalice@1 isn't exactly useful there either.

What do you think of this sideboard:

3 Submerge
    3 Control Magic
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage (running 1 maindeck)
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Misdirection
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    The problem with Zoo is the overabundance of removal: Path to Exile removes everything, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix and Chain Lightning remove all your creatures except Serendib Efreet. While Serendib Efreet isn't exactly my prime choice against Zoo; they race him way too easily. I already have Control Magic in the sideboard, I love it. But it's still pretty slow. It's hard to stabilize when they're beating face. I'll try the Submerges and Misdirections.

And what of Goblins and Merfolk? I've come very close to giving them up. Goblins is way too explosive and Merfolk is unblockable. Our prime weapon, Chalice@1 isn't exactly useful there either.

What do you think of this sideboard:

3 Submerge
    3 Control Magic
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage (running 1 maindeck)
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow
    3 Misdirection
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives
    ...I don't know what you're doing differently than me 'cause you seem to be having different results against all the aggressive archetypes. I count Goblins and Merfolk among my BEST match-ups and if I had to pick one MU to play all tournament, it would be Goblins; I very rarely lose except on the draw to their stonecold nuts with a mediocre hand. Like, on the play both have huge trouble with Chalice at 1; Goblins just don't function without any mana cheating (and their mana denial is much worse) and Merfolk can't really leverage their Standstills. Goblins generally can't swing into your guys and once you get Jitte or SoFI online (for which they basically have no say), it's game over as you remove the key Goblins and just keep swinging. It's worth noting that as Goblins are really low on targeted removal nowadays (generally only a few Incinerators), Sower of Temptation is quite awesome against them. Completely blanks their Warren Weirdings if any, and removes key tempo pieces like Warchief or Lackey while also giving you Pileblockers.

Merfolk is much the same; get equipment online and you win. They don't have any answers to Sower except maybe their own Jittes so stealing non-LoA Lords is a total gamebreaker, though of course you optimally just kill them. Daze is a tempo setback early on for them as they need 2 mana to do anything so unless they have Vial going (which you generally can Needle tho G1 you have a few excess Chalices), they generally can't leverage it early on giving you freedom to develop the board and their guys are generally too small to attack profitably without LoA in presence. If LoA is there, Sower non-LoA merfolk; LoA itself can't attack so meh.

On the draw I sideboard Chalices out in both MUs, save for 1 copy (depending on how much I have to bring in) with EE and extra Needle coming in, along with Control Magic-effects and such. I'm probably testing few Llawans for the Countertop Progenitus MU; they could come in handy. I'm also SBing two Blue Elemental Blasts for Goblins (and Burn and Aggro Loam and such) to compound the ways you have to stop turn 1 Lackey (which really is the way they win; if Lackey doesn't connect, you're just plain too fast for them).

On the play, all 4 Chalices stay against Goblins though against Merfolk, if you have good stuff to bring in, Needles are probably more efficient. Though two Chalices or so to set at 2 isn't bad; it tends to blank about 60% of their deck. You don't want to see multiples and can Trinket for Chalice at 2 though so if that's your plan, 2 max. Merfolk's nuts tend to be a bit worse than Goblin's nuts since it tends to involve free counters in numbers making fighting it harder while Goblins are still limited to spell per turn so if you have that Force for the Lackey, it just ain't coming through.

EE is allstar vs. Goblins (really takes the wind outta their sails) and decent against Merfolk, but against M, Needles are better.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I very rarely lose except on the draw to their stonecold nuts with a mediocre hand. Like, on the play both have huge trouble with Chalice at 1; Goblins just don't function without any mana cheating
    This may be just me, but I have problems of consistently dropping a Chalice@1 turn 1, whether it's on the play or on the draw. I don't always have the Chalice, I don't always have the acceleration. Sometimes I can power out a Trinketmage turn 1, but usually a turn 2 Chalice@1 is too late. Also their Piledrivers are a real pain. The explosiveness of Goblins combined with unblockable Piledrivers and Tomb damage make for a very hard match-up indeed. I don't really see how good EE works in this match as the Goblins have a very varied curve. I suppose you can only hit tokens, Lackeys and Vials. But even if you kill all that, they still have Instigators and Warchiefs to speed up things. Mind you, I mostly test against mono red Goblins, as that's probably the strongest version.

What do you mean by Merfolk can't really leverage Standstills? As far as I know, just like against any other deck a turn 1 Vial, turn 2 Standstill is a very strong play against Faerie Stompy. We're forced to break the Standstill and likely to lose. Using a Sower on a Wakethrasher is one of the better things you can do, but even then, besides the fact that Sower is Daze-sensitive, there are Merfolk builds with either their own Sowers, Jittes or just a bunch of Merfolk to outrace you.

The main problem I encounter, is that I often find I cannot drop a Chalice@1 against either deck before they have a Vial or other 1 drop out, nullifying the strength of the Chalice, making Chalice a more or less dead card, while they can race me with ease.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Would running Propaganda be a viable option against goblins and zoo?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

This may be just me, but I have problems of consistently dropping a Chalice@1 turn 1, whether it's on the play or on the draw. I don't always have the Chalice, I don't always have the acceleration. Sometimes I can power out a Trinketmage turn 1, but usually a turn 2 Chalice@1 is too late. Also their Piledrivers are a real pain. The explosiveness of Goblins combined with unblockable Piledrivers and Tomb damage make for a very hard match-up indeed. I don't really see how good EE works in this match as the Goblins have a very varied curve. I suppose you can only hit tokens, Lackeys and Vials. But even if you kill all that, they still have Instigators and Warchiefs to speed up things. Mind you, I mostly test against mono red Goblins, as that's probably the strongest version.

What do you mean by Merfolk can't really leverage Standstills? As far as I know, just like against any other deck a turn 1 Vial, turn 2 Standstill is a very strong play against Faerie Stompy. We're forced to break the Standstill and likely to lose. Using a Sower on a Wakethrasher is one of the better things you can do, but even then, besides the fact that Sower is Daze-sensitive, there are Merfolk builds with either their own Sowers, Jittes or just a bunch of Merfolk to outrace you.

The main problem I encounter, is that I often find I cannot drop a Chalice@1 against either deck before they have a Vial or other 1 drop out, nullifying the strength of the Chalice, making Chalice a more or less dead card, while they can race me with ease.
    If I don't have turn 1 Chalice, I don't waste time with the entire card; I may drop it at 2 at an opportune time, but if I don't have the Chalice, I'll just fetch a Needle or Sigil and start beating. Preferably, I'd cast something but Trinket Mage first given the option. Really, both of the decks are built assuming they have access to their mana cheaters. If they don't, their insufficient manabase and awkward curve will catch up to them.

This is why I like EE against Goblins so much; it kills their cheaters. Without cheaters, they aren't very impressive. It's mostly there to blast Lackey and Vial, but doing just that tends to win the game. In my experience, anyways.

This is why I Chalice at 1 turn 1 on the play is so devastating. And yeah, after Vial lands, it does nothing. I prefer just dropping a guy, then guy, then equipment or so, depending on whether I see an opening. If I get an active Jitte or SoFI, I just win. And yeah, against unknown opponents I usually avoid casting turn 1 Trinkets since I need a better idea of what to fetch. Turn 1 Chalice is bombtastic, but turn 1 Trinket finding Chalice is very MU-dependent; it can be great against e.g. Tempo Thresh and ANT, but against Countertop, Goblins or Merfolk it's just mediocre.

And what I mean by them not being able to leverage Standstill is that if we're on the play, we can often acquire sufficient board presence and/or stop their Vial to prevent them from casting Standstill profittably. If we go turn 1 dude, turn 2 dude, they won't cast it unless they have a death wish. Likewise, if we go turn 1 Chalice or turn 2 Trinket > Needle, chances are they won't be casting it without access to active Vial, with enemy having threats on board.

On the draw, we of course have much harder time stopping particularly Vial > Still, which is exactly the play from which bulk of their wins come. Though of course, they often draw "bunch of stuff that doesn't matter" and get dismantled by SoFI or Jitte. Really, I play both cards at huge priority in both MUs; whenever it seems like I could plausibly resolve them and get a swing, I tend to do just that. Vs. 'Folk, I generally kill Lords ASAP if I can avoid having to deal with Vial-in-resp that way.

Sower is indeed countered by their own, but I find they have much more trouble casting their Sowers and we can often cast our Sowers Daze-proof. And we tend to have more Jittes than they, not to mention another set of equipment entirely. And if they get Jitte and we don't, we tend to have Needle to address that. But yeah, I've never been unhappy to be paired against either. I've lost to Merfolk slightly more than to Gobs, which isn't really surprising since they have more efficient tempo tools against us while Goblins is better at grinding out games, something we don't tend to do. Still, most of my losses to 'Folk have come from being on the draw and getting turn 1 Vial, turn 2 Standstill, Force my Force'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Would running Propaganda be a viable option against goblins and zoo?
    Yes I think so.

I would play four in the board to use against Ichorid, Zoo, Goblins, Bant, Merfolk and some other random aggro matchups. They slow them down by a few turns if nothing else. And those few turns is plenty of time to get a flyer down and equipped and going to town.

Without Propaganda, the only real shot this deck has to race aggro is to get a Chalice on the board and hope that it stays there.

I'm very surprised that Eldariel made no mention of the card in his primer.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Yes I think so.

I would play four in the board to use against Ichorid, Zoo, Goblins, Bant, Merfolk and some other random aggro matchups. They slow them down by a few turns if nothing else. And those few turns is plenty of time to get a flyer down and equipped and going to town.

Without Propaganda, the only real shot this deck has to race aggro is to get a Chalice on the board and hope that it stays there.

I'm very surprised that Eldariel made no mention of the card in his primer.
    Mmmhm. I just forgot about it. I never played it beyond my initial testing where I found it unnecessary. I simply don't like cards that don't trade with opponent's cards in a deck not dedicated to resource denial; strategically it feels unsound. It could definitely have a place against e.g. Ichorid, but I feel that MU is plenty good with all the Trinkets and gravehate. I simply don't see what I'd take out for Propagandas vs. Merfolk or Goblins; what MD cards are truly worse? This...tunnelvision is mostly why I forgot to mention it; it's not a card I find playable myself so I failed to mention it. I'll add it, I guess.

The "other" real shot, I wonder why people constantly ignore it, is using equipment. Honestly, equipment is our trumpcard in the aggro MUs. Jitte or SoFI just wrecks the other aggro-decks. I've never had trouble winning with either online and we pack plenty of both.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Back to Basics + Propaganda makes sure a deck like Bant Aggro can't win against you (if you shoot down the Hierarchs with SoFI or Jitte). It does take quite some sideboard space, so I'm uncertain if you can run both. Obviously the two are synergestic, so when you have one, you at least should consider the other.

Would anyone be so kind to post his sideboard along with what the sideboard plan would be in the following matches: Tribal, Zoo, CounterTop with Firespout, Bant Aggro with Progenitus, Ichorid, ANT, Reanimator?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Back to Basics + Propaganda makes sure a deck like Bant Aggro can't win against you (if you shoot down the Hierarchs with SoFI or Jitte). It does take quite some sideboard space, so I'm uncertain if you can run both. Obviously the two are synergestic, so when you have one, you at least should consider the other.
    The huge question is, what do you take out? Equipment? Forces? Creatures? Chalices? I'm not satisfied with those answers; I could see taking out Chalices vs. Bant, but that's only 3-4 cards and you have at least 6 coming in if you want any kind of chance of executing your plan.

Would anyone be so kind to post his sideboard along with what the sideboard plan would be in the following matches: Tribal, Zoo, CounterTop with Firespout, Bant Aggro with Progenitus, Ichorid, ANT, Reanimator?
    I would, but I'm just testing new sideboard cards and I lack a set sideboard right now so I'm not in a position to do this. I can dig out my last steady SB, but it's really sorta obsolete (predates NO > Proge being commonly played), the reason I'm testing out new SB in the first place.

The huge question is, what do you take out? Equipment? Forces? Creatures? Chalices? I'm not satisfied with those answers; I could see taking out Chalices vs. Bant, but that's only 3-4 cards and you have at least 6 coming in if you want any kind of chance of executing your plan.
    If you're siding out Chalices, the answer to your question of what else to side out is probably Trinket Mage.

Back when I played the deck regularly (I still love the deck, but just dont' have the time to play Magic much these days), here's the cards that I often sided out...

Shoreline Ranger (I never played it though, but it seems like a card that could be cut if you're desperate to side in some key cards)

Sower of Temptation if you're playing a matchup where there's few or no creatures that you would want to steal. This was only done versus combo and control decks.

Trinkets like Pithing Needle, EE or Sigil of Distinction depending on the matchup.

Mulldrifter and Pestermite (they are some of the weaker threats in the deck)

Chalice of the Void. I only did this rarely because most matchups, Chalice is awesome. But occasionally, there's some matchups where it's completely useless (esp versus other Stompy or Stax variants).

Trinket Mage is one of the weaker cards in the deck. I wouldn't hesistate to side it out especially if you're already siding out chalices. Another situation where you side it out is in matchups where Chalice is useful enough that you wouldn't want to side it out, but not neccesarily gamebreaking enough that you would want to invest two turns of mana, one turn from Trinket Mage, and one for Chalice, just to cast it.

Equipment - whichever equipment (I played both SOFI and SOLS) or Jitte, was least useful in the matchup.

Force of Will! (Yes, imho, there's certain matchups where I personally feel that very little my opponent can possibly play is actually worth the two for one trade of business spells that FoW neccesitates. Just think back to the number of situations where you didn't even end up using FoW the entire game because you were better off just playing whatever blue card it is that you would have to discard to FoW. And then think of how much better that hand would have been if even the FoW itself was another bomb like Propaganda or B2B that you could have played. If you ask me, the real reason that every blue deck should maindeck 4 FoW is because there's certain matchups where you always want FoW (Ad Nauseum, Belcher etc), but outside of those matchups, there's actually several matchups where it would actually be better if FoW was another threat/bomb rather than a counter that you had to dispose of some other key business spell to be able to make use of.

As for why I don't think Zoo is a great matchup...

Equipment isn't a magic fix. Yes its awesome, but it's somewhat slow and mana intensive, and it can be difficult to both get both a threat and equip it, without having that threat meet removal early on.

It's pretty important to side in Propaganda (and Back to Basics) versus Zoo. If you don't get down a Chalice turn one, they can put you on a turn four clock, and burn out anything that gets in their way.

Propaganda slows down their clock by atleast another three-four turns even without Back to Basics to lock them out. This gives you the time you need to resolve an equipment and a threat and turn the tables.

@Clark Kant: Very well written!
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

Just wondering why no Esperzoa in this deck? That way you have all three big beaters for blue. Especially if you play Seat of the Synod you can bounce lands. Or add in Tangle Wire or Smokestack. The post above mine suggested taking out Trinket Mage and Pestermite, you could find room for more artifacts that would do well with Esperzoa.

Something like this:

4 x Esperzoa
    4 x Mulldrifter
    4 x Sea Drake
    4 x Serendib Efreet

4 x Chalice of the Void
    4 x Smokestack
    4 x Tangle Wire
    4 x Trinisphere

4 x Mox Diamond

1 x Academy Ruins
    4 x Ancient Tomb
    4 x City of Traitors
    4 x Darksteel Citadel
    4 x Seat of the Synod
    7 x Island

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I tried a build that employed Tsabo's Web as Esperzoa's target creating a draw-engine. Unfortunately it works too slow and often Esperzoa gets killed one way or another. Next to that, what Eldariel said.

Esperzoa: Printing of this guy caused quite the stir; another playable 4/3 flyer for 2U? Since then it has died down a bit, as its drawback is far larger than that of Sea Draka. Sure, it can be used to reset Needles and Chalices, but most of the time? You want that Chalice in play, having empty Moxes is against your plan, returning imprinted Moxes is a disaster and you'd rather not give opponent the window to use whatever ability you deemed dangerous enough to Needle. And returning equipment? Nice mana investment there. Also, as an artifact creature it is much easier to remove than rest of the deck, something that's often an issue with equipment. That said, it's still a 4/3 for 2U and warrants consideration. Note: Artifacts do not imprint on Chrome Mox no matter how colored. They pitch to FoW just fine though.

Rather than use Tsabo's Web, I would MUCH rather use Ankh of Mishra as an Esperzoa target.

Ankh of Mishra can be played turned one. You don't play fetchlands so you're not as effected by it.

It devastates your opponents for playing fetchlands doing between 8-12 damage (plus the 1 additional damage they take each time use the fetchland), and even if they don't (rare), it still gets in a good 6 damage or so.

So the card is good enough to play in the deck without Esperzoa.

But WITH Esperzoa, you basically can bounce Ankh back to your hand any turn you wish to play lands to get around taking any lifeloss for yourself, while still preventing your opponent from doing so.

Thread Information