Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    Ya. I also think that Submerge is not good in this meta. There doesn't seem to be many green Delver decks, mostly Grixis Delver. I'm going to swap it out for Dominate because I liked having it in my sideboard before.
    Dominate over Control Magic and Sower??

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Dominate over Control Magic and Sower??
    Dominate is great vs. Marie Lage, and Sower is a bit risky.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Dominate is great vs. Marie Lage, and Sower is a bit risky.
    Ah, that's an interesting call. Still, feels narrow unless you're either facing a lot of Lages (I like my MD Pithing Needle vs. Depths-decks; just Trinket for it and ban Thespian's Stage and they need an answer to ever do anything most of the time) or also using it in other match-ups (where most of the time I prefer Control Magic; it's particularly awesome vs. all kinds of other Stompy-decks and even quite good vs. many tempo decks and obviously wonderful vs. Show and Tell like decks). If I wanted a Lage-answer on the sideboard I'd definitely first run Venser, which is also incidentally very good against Show and Tell decks and a solid card on its own in many match-ups if you have something you'd specifically like to board out. Of course, it doesn't act as a Control Magic in creature match-ups.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

most of the time I prefer Control Magic; it's particularly awesome vs. all kinds of other Stompy-decks and even quite good vs. many tempo decks and obviously wonderful vs. Show and Tell like decks
    If I'm correctly informed the enchanted creature needs to be in play before Control Magic enters play. Good to know.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    If I'm correctly informed the enchanted creature needs to be in play before Control Magic enters play. Good to know.
    Ah yes, you're correct. Please forgive me, I was kinda lumping all Control Magic effects together with Sower but of course Sower works since the ability only triggers after they have both entered the battlefield. Control Magic does not indeed function off Show and Tell except on things already in play.

Ah, that's an interesting call. Still, feels narrow unless you're either facing a lot of Lages (I like my MD Pithing Needle vs. Depths-decks; just Trinket for it and ban Thespian's Stage and they need an answer to ever do anything most of the time)
    If you have cast a chalice then Pithing Needle is useless, is reayher play a couple Spyglass. Also, Venser is too slow for turbo Depths. Turbo Depths and Depths Reanimator can get a very fast Marit Lage, so 3 mana vs. 4 mana is huge. Also, Dominate is just a very powerful card with a dec producing a lot of mana, and being instant speed fits well in this deck.

So I participated in an SCG Classic and had a disappointing 4-4 record. Though I had a lot of mull to 5's and mediocre and bad draws and I completely threw one match. I am still very confident in the deck. I think the deck is amazing, and better than the record shows.

Round 1 I lost to Miracles, which is rough because I consider that matchup very much in my favor.
    Loss 1-2

Round 2 I crushed Temur Delver
    Win 2-0

Round 3 I beat one of my hardest matchups, 4-color Leovold. He did misplay once though which cost him game 3. Of course, he also played Kessa, which is apparently an illegal card and if I had called a judge he would have received a match loss, but I didn't find this out until later.
    Win 2-1

Round 4 I played against Death and Taxes and I had this match in the bag 2-0 but I threw games 2 and 3 hard. My most disappointing match by FAR, and all my misplays happened in this single match. Actually my opponent kind of cheated me too, with some communication abuse, And unfortunately I let him get away with it. Basically I should have won, and I should have called a judge.
    Loss 1-2

Round 5 I got got crushed by aggro Loam. I mulled to 5 game 1 and thent lost to and unexpecteda
    Gaddock Teeg game 2.
    Loss 0-2

Round 6 I beat BUG Delver with Leovold
    Win 2-1 or 2-0 can't remember

Round 7 I lost to Grixis Delver
    O-2 I never drew a Chalice and also mulled a bunch. I think I misplayed by not trying to counter a Pyromancer.

Round 8 I crush OmniTell in two games. Game 1 he had a bad hand and didn't do anything. Game 2 he mulled to 5 and I asked judge if I could let my opponent draw another card but that's not allowed xD. I make some silly plays to allow him to have a chance, and he draws well and manages to get a Griseldaddy into play. I draw Venser and bounce it and then I have a morphed Dancer and Glen Elendra and he can't resolve anything relevant for the rest of the game.

Result 4-4

The D&T match was very frustrating to lose. I really wish I had called a judge and would have gotten a ruling in my favor game 2 so I won 2-0. Unfortunately I didn't, and only talked to a judge after the match was over.

The deck is great though! I want to test more vs. Grixis Pyromancer and 4c Leo and see if there's anything I can do to improve those marchups. I think the decks to beat right now are Grixis Delverr and TurboDepths so I want to make sure I have enough answers. I haven't tested vs. those two much because people don't play them on Cockatrice. Leovold is the best creature in Legacy and I want to make sure I have answers to it.

I ended up running 2 Glen Elendra mainboard in the flex spot and I was very happy with them. I don't think it's a flex spot anymore!

I chose Vensers in the sideboard as my bounce effect and I'm also happy with them.
    The Dominate is the questionable card in my sideboard. I never really want to side it in unless I'm playing against Marit Lage. It could be good vs. Other creature decks but I didn't think it was worth cutting cards for, and just never seemed confident to bring it in. I could consider cutting it for something that good vs. both Turbo Depths AND Grixis Delver. I think the card is actually Submerge. I had removed it because I thought Forest lands weren't common anymore, and nobody is playing Temur Delver or Goyf, but Grixis Delver plays Forest for Leovold. I'm not sure they fetch for green often though, usually just cast it off of Deathrite I'm sure. Can anyone think of a card that is good against Grixis Pyromancer AND Turbo Depths?
    Last edited by R3ndr0c; 01-29-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Control Magic is pretty great in wars of attrition; stealing a Leovold means you'll get at least one card when they remove it while also dealing with their Leovold, albeit netting them a card. They basically never have enchantment destruction easily available so that's one thing I can think of. Submerge is certainly a good card too and one I've played a lot to great effect (you can respond to their fetch to shuffle it away too, but it's more than fine as a tempo play too), but I'm not sure if it's strong enough for the sideboard slot. You definitely need to be the one asking the questions in the match-ups; it's very heavily tempo-oriented and losing mana to e.g. removal on equipped creature can be very painful indeed.

Still, nice showing. It's not an easy deck to play properly and long tournaments can cause tournament fatigue for anyone. I do think Needle belongs on the side though; you want it as Trinket target in so many games. Spyglass is great but the fact that you can't fetch for it really makes it far less impactful than something you can essentially have 5 copies of.

I actully see a lot of people with Golgari Charm in the sideboard, but there's still less removal for control magic than for Sower of Temptation.

It's hard to make room, I don't want to remove my Reanimator tech, and then happen to face it and just lose horribly when it matters.

In regards to Pithing Needle; I find that I will usually want to be fetching for Chalice anyways, and once Chalice is down my Needle just sits in hand doing nothing, at best some insurance if Chalice is removed and I need to be deactivating something. I can potentially just Looter it away, but idk, tough call.

EDIT:
    Also, back to basics single handedly won me a game there wasn't much chance of me winning if it didn't resolve. It's super powerful, and if it resolves and the opponent can't deal with it quickly they will probably lose. I'm almost considering maindecking one or two copies.
    Last edited by R3ndr0c; 01-30-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Of course, he also played Kessa, which is apparently an illegal card and if I had called a judge he would have received a match loss, but I didn't find this out until later.
    It's probably Kess, not Kessa. What makes you question the legality? It's legal.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

It's a marked card, because all Commander foils are warped. Supposedly a bunch of people at the SCG Classic got match losses for playing it.

So, I'm going to swap out Dominate for Stunt Double. In theory this card should be great. Good vs. Marit Lage, Leovold, and decent vs. Show and Tell. The Flash aspect is great.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

I'm near to star to play magic again
    I stopped in 2013 while playing UWB control (with Baneslayer, Glen elendra and Esper Charm ... yes ... in legacy) but faerie stompy has allways been my second deck.

I remember what I was playing very easily

18 lands

8 sol lands
    9 island
    1 seat of the synod

18 creatures

3 Trinket Mage
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    3 Weatherseed Faeries (sometimes Pestermite depending on the metagame ... but having few creatures the red protection was quite often chosen)

4 Force of Will
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Rushing River

4 Chalice of The Void

4 Umezawa's Jitte (beacuse is so powerful that even if it is legandary I wanted 4)
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice (Sometimes the X mana cost equipment)
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Chrome Mox (22 total manabase)

Sideboard
    some Misdirection
    some anti-red things
    some Llawan
    some revoker
    some anti grave

Sometimes I had 4 painter + 3 grinstone in my side for surprise B plans G2

At the time Eldariel was playing more controlish lists with 2UU creature cost and mulldrifter. Some lists were already using revokers etc.
    But I personally liked better old list with faster creatures and more equipments. Faerie Stompy creatures are very "small" without equipments on them. I chosed not to play with UU mana costs.
    My Best play was allways passing thought Cloude of Faeries which allowed me to mana ramp and follow (play equip) + (equip to a pre-existing creature) + (attack) or (play chalice) + (play creature)

Cloud of Faeries allowed me also to keep rischy hands because of cycle thing.

Now. I see that have been printed new cards
    Misthollow Griffith, Stratus Dancer, Hangarback Walker, Walking Ballista, Nimble Obstructionist, Smuggler's Copter etc.
    The cards that I see as a must add are Walking Ballista and True-Name Nemesis

and my old list can be simply upgraded like that

22 mana sources

8 Sol Lands
    9 Island
    1 Seat of Synod
    4 Chrome Mox

21 Creatures

3 Walking Ballista
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Serendib Efreet
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Cloud of Faeries

4 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of The Void

4 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice

3 Thirst for Knowledge (I allways prefer them to Looter and Mulldrifter ... I tried them in the past but prefered Thirsts)

How can I list like that can be upgrade again

One thing .. do not touch me cloud of faeries. They allow so many accelerated play combinations ...

PS: Efreet was very good against delver decks (if you play some equipments ... while you wait equip if you don't have .. wait for them if you play enought of them. That means that Efreet is good in a 6+ equipment list to my view.

PS2: how are Vehicles good in this deck ?

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

I have found Serendib awful against Delver. While costing 3X their namesake card, it cannot race it. And it's not like this deck has many ways to remove one once it's landed. Depending on equipment to make a card viable vs Delver is a strategy they can easily see, and counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

May 2010
    bologna, italy

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    I have found Serendib awful against Delver. While costing 3X their namesake card, it cannot race it. And it's not like this deck has many ways to remove one once it's landed. Depending on equipment to make a card viable vs Delver is a strategy they can easily see, and counter.
    What you say is totally right but do not give me a better alternative to Serendib Efreet vs Delver Decks.

- Stratus Dancer has the same race as Serendib Efreet but dies from bolt, fire//ice and forked bolt (Efreet does not)
    - Griffith for example has a +1 advantage in race compared to Serendib Efreet but still cannot race delver, goes under bolt, comes into play 1 turn later (it means race advantage for them), in block they both die.
    - The 3/1 flash with the cycling ability has the same race as Delver but die to their red spells.

So who is better than Senrendib Efreet vs a opponent RUG Delver ? Maybe the XXcc artifact creatures ?!

Speaking of cc4 drops

what do you think of this card ? The Cycling ability could make it interesting cause if you don't have 2UU you cycle it for U.

Probabely Griffith is way better

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    What you say is totally right but do not give me a better alternative to Serendib Efreet vs Delver Decks.

- Stratus Dancer has the same race as Serendib Efreet but dies from bolt, fire//ice and forked bolt (Efreet does not)
    - Griffith for example has a +1 advantage in race compared to Serendib Efreet but still cannot race delver, goes under bolt, comes into play 1 turn later (it means race advantage for them), in block they both die.
    - The 3/1 flash with the cycling ability has the same race as Delver but die to their red spells.

So who is better than Senrendib Efreet vs a opponent RUG Delver ? Maybe the XXcc artifact creatures ?!

Speaking of cc4 drops

what do you think of this card ? The Cycling ability could make it interesting cause if you don't have 2UU you cycle it for U.

Probabely Griffith is way better
    The only one of those that is decent vs Delver is Stratus. And that's just as a 2-drop that trades. The best creature I've found is Looter il-Kor. And with the amount of equipment you run, he's amazing. Cheap and unblockable. If you don't have Chalice and they Bolt it, which they are loathe to do, that's one less Bolt for your Sea Drake. And against a deck like Delver, which is always going to attempt to attack your scarce resource, his looting ability is invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

May 2010
    bologna, italy

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    The only one of those that is decent vs Delver is Stratus. And that's just as a 2-drop that trades. The best creature I've found is Looter il-Kor. And with the amount of equipment you run, he's amazing. Cheap and unblockable. If you don't have Chalice and they Bolt it, which they are loathe to do, that's one less Bolt for your Sea Drake. And against a deck like Delver, which is always going to attempt to attack your scarce resource, his looting ability is invaluable.
    Fair enought. I'll try some Stratus Dancers and some Looter.

Two more questions:

i) I used to run 2 "silver bullet" maindeck (1x Rushing River and 1x Pithing Needle) ad I think you all used or tried in the past.
    How is playing without them ? Maybe the Walking Ballista can do their job in some ways ?

ii) Are the vehicles good in this deck and maybe can replace some equipment slots (such as 4/5 equip + 1/2 vehicles) ?

I am considering this.

The Curator is an interesting idea, but I don't think it's worth it. All your flyers can trade with a delver, and equipments kill Delvers. Misdirection is a decent way to gain tempo vs Delver, and if you're facing a lot of BUG or TEmur Delver you can side in Submerge.

For the catch all spot, I found Venser to be the best option, since it's good vs. Show and Tell and OmniTell sometimes too, plus it's a body and a pseudo counter spell. It's even a decent tempo play vs. Delver, bouncing a flipped Delver, especially if you have a Chalice out.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

The Curator is an interesting idea, but I don't think it's worth it. All your flyers can trade with a delver, and equipments kill Delvers. Misdirection is a decent way to gain tempo vs Delver, and if you're facing a lot of BUG or TEmur Delver you can side in Submerge.

For the catch all spot, I found Venser to be the best option, since it's good vs. Show and Tell and OmniTell sometimes too, plus it's a body and a pseudo counter spell. It's even a decent tempo play vs. Delver, bouncing a flipped Delver, especially if you have a Chalice out.
    come on
    Canadian has got 8 remouvals who kill anyone of our creture with flying
    so trading with delver is not believable, so few probabilities early game.
    We have more possibilities killing delvers via equipped nemesis (but you have to play them)
    well, with a chalice@1 start they do not even play the game

I'm trying on Cockattrice Parker's list with Walking Ballista (instead of the othe XX creature who makes topthers).
    I'm having some problems with UU spells (they are Griffin and Nemesis = 8x)
    Most times I use Trinket Mage to tutor blue source to be able to cast Nemesis. (Mox diamond nice)
    The new list is quite fun but dies to topdeck. In fact I think Looter online makes the deck work. Without the filtering ability it get stucked (now even more because of the +2 cards dedicated to mana cards). This is why I'm suggesting the Vehicle who does the same thing ... to add more filtering.

I noticed that if opponent starts Land + Shaman we are in trouble because they have 3 mana on turn 2 (for example Liliana or Leovold, Emissary of Trest, or Nemesis ... those cards are a serious problem because they have a suprior Power level).
    So I think we need Pithing Needle or Phyrexian Revoker. The creature is viable to my view only if we run Smuggler's Copter so that we make the vehicle attack for him.

It seem to me that the deck is going slowly to become a chalice-aggro/control deck.
    Am I right ?

Ok, I want some better tech vs. Grixis Delver. I tempo card like Submerge but for Grixis. Any ideas? My games tend to be very close but they are just one turn ahead especially on the play.

Thread Information