Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Pestermite is so good after you test it heavily. At first it seems clumsy and people who hasn't played Faerie Stompy enough or just look at the decklist wonder why a card that hasn't seen play in extended/standard Faeries list deserve a spot in Legacy. I would never play less than 3 maindeck, which I think is the right number. It has definitely won me some games tapping out some lands on the critic turn not to speak of tapping Tarmogoyfs all day long. Also, it is a good answer versus Maze of Ith (the only one if you went t1 chalice for 1 blindly and your opp is playing lands.dec)
    I've tested a lot lately and at first I really didn't like Pestermite but it has performed very well. When you are racing an opponent, with creatures on the board, there have been many situations where you can play Pestermite to uptap Sea Drake or Efreet in order to block and kill one of their creatures. Your opponent might expect you to tap one of their creatures but its easier to overlook the untap effect.

On the other hand, I will be axiously awaiting a set with a stronger 2U flier. With the rate power creep is happening nowadays I doubt we'll have to wait very long.

Edit: Remember, if your creature is equip with SoFI, don't try to uptap it with Pestermite (because of Pro Blue.) Chances are, you're probably winning anyways.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

I find no benefit in bringing back Cloud of Faeries. If I remember correctly I cut them when Pestermite and Mulldrifter hit the scene. Pestermite and Mulldrifter offer way more utility than CoF.

I prefer avoiding the 2 mana slot all together, having the option of setting Chalice at 1 or 2 only blanking one card in the deck is a huge advantage. (I run Jitte in the sideboard with a SoFI and SoLS split in the main.)

Pilgrim's Eye is terrible, what is there to cut for a 1/1 flyer?
    Last edited by DuxDucis; 03-27-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDucis View Post
    I prefer avoiding the 2 mana slot all together, having the option of setting Chalice at 1 or 2 only blanking one card in the deck is a huge advantage. (I run Jitte in the sideboard with a SoFI and SoLS split in the main.)
    Well, it DOES cycle.

Explosive draws seem too good to give up on a creature that also cycles just to avoid possible negative interactions between it and Chalice of the Void.

Pestermite might be a solid replacement, due to an additional power and the lack of relevant difference between 2 and 3 mana cost in this deck, but I wouldn't discount Cloud of Faeries because of Chalice of the Void.

Also, it was mentioned a while ago, but Esperzoa/Tsabo's Web might be something worth considering in some environments. Esperzoa also lets you reset Pithing Needle if a more relevant threat than whatever you named on turn 1 shows up. Both do have somewhat negative interactions with Chalice of the Void, but it might be worth trying.

Also depending on your meta, a splash for Red with Flametongue Kavu or some similar card-advantage machine might be a viable option. Thoughts? Although I suppose you could just run Razormane Masticore or something beefy out of the Sideboard without shooting your manabase all to hell.

have you guys tested the new jace in this deck? It seems that it would be realy powerful, unsummon your tarmo, hit agian, repeat, draw and stabilize hands...maybe it would be worth it considering it in the sower of tempation slots?

Problem with Jace is that he doesn't immediately provide a large tempo swing like Sower does, and using him just for repeated bounces on a 2mana creature isn't that super. I still pretty much agree with Eldariel, though, that UU is just *rough* to expect to have consistently.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    Explosive draws seem too good to give up on a creature that also cycles just to avoid possible negative interactions between it and Chalice of the Void.

Pestermite might be a solid replacement, due to an additional power and the lack of relevant difference between 2 and 3 mana cost in this deck, but I wouldn't discount Cloud of Faeries because of Chalice of the Void.
    That's not the reason to give it up. The reason to give it up is that there's only a certain number of creature slots in the deck and lots of solid creatures competing for those slots; the reason to replace it is that something else might perform better. Now, the question, of course, is whether something indeed DOES perform better or not. And of course, in that comparison, Chalice @ 2 is a point against Cloud; not a decisive one, but another factor to note.

Also, it was mentioned a while ago, but Esperzoa/Tsabo's Web might be something worth considering in some environments. Esperzoa also lets you reset Pithing Needle if a more relevant threat than whatever you named on turn 1 shows up. Both do have somewhat negative interactions with Chalice of the Void, but it might be worth trying.
    The issue here is that the deck doesn't want conditional beaters. When Esp is amazing, he's amazing, but when he sucks, boy does he suck. When you need someone to carry that equipment, casting it again every turn is NOT what you want to be doing especially since opponent might just draw a Force. Likewise, when you've finally fought that Chalice down against UGr Thrash, you DON'T want to bounce it to get your beater and yet, you need that beater to beat them before they get enough Goyfs to kill you.

Resetting Needles and even Chalices IS a useful ability to have, but not at the cost of having an unreliable threat. The deck's biggest vulnerability is frankly getting stuck without a threat; once you have creatures, chances are your equipment allows you to take over. If all your threats are answered, you're in a bad way. Compounding that for a relatively small gain like resets is probably not a good idea. If you want those resets, consider Rushing River; kicked, it can return two of their permanents, or set them back and allow you to reset whatever you want reset.

Also depending on your meta, a splash for Red with Flametongue Kavu or some similar card-advantage machine might be a viable option. Thoughts? Although I suppose you could just run Razormane Masticore or something beefy out of the Sideboard without shooting your manabase all to hell.
    I don't like non-blue creatures. While a huge guy like Razormane could be useful, the lack of firepower (it doesn't kill Goyfs), being groundbound (sucking with equipment) and costing 5 are all downers. Oh, and the whole "discard a card per turn"-thing. First editions of the deck actually ran Masticore (the old one), but even then when creatures were mostly Goblins and Werebears, it just wasn't that amazing even when it got online; it's just a slow way to sweep the board and now it doesn't even do that.

Flametongue Kavu is the same, but worse as it requires a splash; before Goyf existed, it was a consideration and indeed, some people did splash it, but with Goyfsize being the standard, it just doesn't simply kill anything. And you don't want 187 creatures that don't kill anything since 4-mana 4/2 is NOT impressive, especially since it requires a creature in play just to cast. Frankly, these jobs are better handled by Sower of Temptation right now. Control Magic would also be on my radar long before Razormanes; controlling their fat > playing slightly smaller fat to control their fat.

And the Newjace? Again, I'm going to test it out, but 1) It's really vulnerable (the deck isn't at its best utilizing evasion when protecting a Planeswalker, y'know) and 2) 2UU is a very tight cost. I play Sower 'cause the card is really good; it's one-hand of times when it's resolved (without being immediately answered) and I've lost. Most importantly, it does something the deck desperately wants; deals with creatures. Especially the more troublesome ones you can't just beat in combat. Generally, it stabilizes ground when it survives too. Jace seems alright, but just...not as good. It doesn't attack or use equipment and its initial board impact is a 2-toughness body that bounces a creature. Sure, if it gets going it's nice but we don't even have fetches right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    When Esp is amazing, he's amazing, but when he sucks, boy does he suck.
    Yep. I was really just floating the idea hoping someone would come up with some crazy-wierd combo with some arcane, unheard-of artifact that would break matchups wide open.

While a huge guy like Razormane could be useful, the lack of firepower (it doesn't kill Goyfs), being groundbound (sucking with equipment) and costing 5 are all downers.
    When equipped Razormane eats Goyfs for breakfast, and unless they want a nearly worthless chumpblock, it's one of the few grounded creatures that attack through a fully pumped goyf without caring much (shoot it every turn with the 3 damage, then attack and they get nowhere blocking it). I see your point about stealing their creatures being generally better than running large creatures of your own, but it might be worth testing. I guess it has the advantage of being a potential gamewinner on its own against the 56 other non-goyf cards in their deck, which is why I like it :P

And the Newjace?
    My theory is that it's too slow, has no synergy with the deck, and his ultimate is nearly irrelevant to your game plan (although ultimates are hardly the reason most planeswalkers get played). I have a feeling that in this deck you're paying for either a Rushing River spread over two turns, a Sensei's Divining Top, or a slight life point buffer on your opponent's next attack. Versatile, and not terrible, but probably not worth the mana.

My personal point of view about Faerie Stompy

Hello to everybody, my name is Fabio. I'm new to Faerie Stompy and I would like to play this deck during my next local tournaments.

[Off topic: start]

Just to let you know how is evolving the meta in my country I cut and paste the statistics of the past 3 tournaments:

March 2010
    Combo 11
    Aggro 24
    Aggro-Control 25
    Control 15

February 2010
    Combo 4
    Aggro 8
    Aggro-Control 17
    Control 9

January 2010
    Combo 15
    Aggro 14
    Aggro-Control 19
    Control 13

[Off topic: end]

I would like to start sharing my points of view about the opening hand (7 cards, assuming we start the first game).

Reading the thread I realized that the two best scenario that follow deck's strategy are:
    a) 1x dual land, 1x Chalice, 5x other cards (24% of probability)
    b) 1x dual land, 1x Chrome Mox, 1x blue card, 1x creature (choosing from Sea Drake or Serendib Efreet), 3x other cards (12% of probability)

Scenario A is of course the best one and, if we can play Chalice@2 soon, we can easily win the game. For this reason we are happy if we can see Caliche or Trinket Mage in the other 5 cards or in the next 1-2 cards we will draw.

Scenario B is good and it becomes very good if we also see (and be able to play) an equipment in the other 3 cards or in the next 1-2 cards we will draw but it is not the best because it opens our creature to be target of CC1 opponent's removals.

In another scenario we could start with no Chalice but with Trinket Mage and 3 mana to play it and tutor for the Chalice: this is not a good choice because against certain Tiers it is not so good play Chalice@1 and it is better to tutor Pithing Needle or Sigil of Distinction.

Summarizing what I wrote I can say that:
    1) starting with Chaliche@1 is the best
    2) starting with Sea Drake or Serendib Efreet is a risk and it should be done only with an active Force Of Will
    3) starting with Trinket Mage for Chalice is a gamble
    4) I agree with the "deck core" (point 2b of the first page) suggested by Eldariel

Proceeding with the discussion I would like to talk about how to complete the deck starting from the "deck core".

I think that, at the present day, it is very difficult that a legacy game lasts for more than 5/6 turns and, on average, the winner is decided during turn 2/3. For these reasons I think we should choose cards that help us to gain Tempo advantage.

Best candidates are:
    - Cloud of Faeries (mana accelleration, it gives us opportunity to play another spell, cycling)
    - Pestermite (most of the time to tap opponent's land on upkeep)
    - Spellstutter Sprite (if we board 4x Cloud of Faeries and 4x Pestermite than this creature could be interstring)
    - Misdirection
    - Condescend
    - Runeboggle or Complicate

Not so good candidates are:
    - Mulldrifter (good because it's a flying creature and it makes us draw but sub-optimal because when I need to evoke it I think it is better if I already have a good card to play in my hand instead).

General toughts:
    - Control Magic is better than Sower because it suffers less removals (Sower is good if we have Chalice in play)
    - Shoreline Ranger could be good (better pitched to Force of Will or imprinted to Chrome Mox rather then played as creature)
    - I find Psionic Blast helpful in different scenario (for example as a creature removal or to burn opponent's live)
    - I think Esperzoa is not viable
    - I would like to consider artifact creatures to be included in the list
    - Clouds of Faeries, Spellstutter Sprite, Jitte keep deck's mana curve more to 2 and this could be a problem versus CounterTop and SpellSnare

I term by thanking everyone who had the patience to read my post and saying that I think the deck should be mono-u!

Mar 2007
    RI

Re: My personal point of view about Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by annoiato View Post
    Best candidates are:
    - Cloud of Faeries (mana accelleration, it gives us opportunity to play another spell, cycling)
    - Pestermite (most of the time to tap opponent's land on upkeep)
    - Spellstutter Sprite (if we board 4x Cloud of Faeries and 4x Pestermite than this creature could be interstring)
    - Misdirection
    - Condescend
    - Runeboggle or Complicate

Not so good candidates are:
    - Mulldrifter (good because it's a flying creature and it makes us draw but sub-optimal because when I need to evoke it I think it is better if I already have a good card to play in my hand instead).

General toughts:
    - Control Magic is better than Sower because it suffers less removals (Sower is good if we have Chalice in play)
    I agree with most of your points, but a few don't make sense to me.

I don't think Codescend or Complicate (Runeboggle seems irrelevant as it's stictly worse than Complicate) are ideal for the MD shell. The deck is pretty driven by sorcery speed disruption, creatures and equipment/activations. Leaving 3 mana up for a potential counterspell seems very counterproductive.

Mulldrifter is good. As mentioned it's a flying body; it's also card advantage. In the early game it can easily be the generic blue card for a Mox or FoW, if your hand has alot of gas already; in the late game it's an excellent top deck cause it puts a guy onto the field and helps refuel. Evoking it clearly isn't ideal, but it's a nice bit of added utility that can be used if one really needs to dig early.

Sower is better than Control Magic because it's a 3 for 1 instead of a 2 for 1. With Trinket Mages, Chalices, Equipment and FoWs there's plenty of means to protect Sower. The fact that it provides a means to clog the ground, by stealing a guy and an evasive threat in one card I think pushes it over the edge, in terms of justifying it's being more susceptible to destruction effects.
    TPDMC

Just an idea how to put more faeries into Faerie Stompy^^

Maindeck

4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet

3 Pestermite
    3 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Cloud of Faeries

2 Sower of Temptation

3 Trinket Mage
    2 Mulldrifter

3 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sigil of Distinction

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will

4 Chrome Mox
    10 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Sideboard

3 Back to Basics
    3 Glen Elendra's Archmage
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Misdirection
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    Last edited by dlg; 04-09-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: bad english ;)

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Any reasoning why you want more Faeries in Faerie Stompy? And if you insist on playing Faeries, I suggest you up your Sower count.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Running Cloud of Faeries before filling out to the max of Pestermites is just a mistake. I'd drop 2 Clouds for another Spellstutter and a Mite. And the last one for your third sower.

Our problem are faster decks like Zoo or Reanimator. CounterTop is still easy to beat with our mainspells at 3+ mana. Even if we drop a chalice 2, we just loose 6 cards - 3 more than the typical Jitte build!

I'm thinking of this list because we can counter nearly any legacy relevant spell with our spellstutters - even if we just play them end of turn to set a creature in play for our equipments they're great.

Cloud of Faeries are still a great card to fix some mana problems, they raise the faerie count for free, can be equipped and cycled if we need so!

I had to cut 1 Trinket, 1 Sower, 1 Shoreline Ranger, 1 Pestermite, 1 Needle and 1 Mulldrifter to get 6 free slots for this "mini-counter-combo".

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    Our problem are faster decks like Zoo or Reanimator.
    Why do you think Spellstutter Sprite is good against these decks?
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

To defeat Zoo we need to slow them down and get equipments online for lifegain or more damage. Zoo kills us with their mass creatues while they handle any bigger creature with removal (Path, Bolt, Helix, Chain - after boarding even Red Elemental Blast or Swords) so Spellstutter is everytime a cc 1 counter (we don't get every game a chalice) or even more with Pestermite/Cloud. So we slow them down or save our creatures and gain one more - 2 for 1.
    And we get the "tap out because we got no creature and won't attack with an equipment next turn"-playtricks with 6+ flash creatures!

Reanimator will combo in turn 2-4 and if we can't stop the combo we will loose against a good player. Spellstutter helps to stop their utility spells (all at 1 or 2 mana and almost all at 1!) so we can win the damage race or the upcoming counterwar.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

It's been a while since I attended a tournament with my beloved Faerie Stompy, but Eldariel's new primar reignited my old flame, so I started some testing and picked it up for a small local tournament. After testing (on MWS it's hard because serious testers hardly take FS serious so you get a Player Lost) I came with the following list:

Team ADHD's Faerie Stompy

4 Sea Drake
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Mulldrifter
    3 Sower of Temptation
    3 Glen Elendra Archmage

4 Force of Will
    1 Control Magic

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard:
    2 Control Magic
    3 Submerge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    1 Trinisphere
    3 Tormod's Crypt

You'll notice there are no Pestermites or Cloud of Faeries. They always proved very disappointing in testing. They have been replaced with maindeck Glen Elendra Archmage. I've also made a cut in the number of equipment. While Eldariel says one of the strong aspects of this deck is the use of equipment, and I totally agree with him, testing showed that 7 equipment was too much. So I cut 2 Sword of Fire and Ice: the drawengine I find in Mulldrifter and generally Umezawa's Jitte is a much better piece of equipment. I cut two pieces of equipment because they are generally bad topdecks. Usually, when you're in a hard spot, you're waiting on a creature, not another piece of equipment. In this equipment-light build, I trinketed more often to a Sigil of Distinction but I never found myself short of equipment.

Anyhoo, so far for the testing-analogy. Now for the tournament results:

Match 1: Teammate with UGR CounterTop
    Yay, my luck, first round I get paired against on of my teammates, and ofcourse it's the one guy I test most games with. We both know he has the advantage, because he has nasty stuff like Engineered Explosives, Vedalken Shackles and Firespouts. Not good news for Faeries Stompy.
    Game 1: I win the die rol and start of with a turn 1 Sea Drake. I know this can be a strong play because he has no spot removal. After a few turns of exchanging counterspells with equipment and on my precious and awesome maindeck Glen Elendra Archmage he's at 2 life and I'm about to swing for the win, but he is able to land a Sower of Temptation. I try to land a Serendib Efreet twice, but he has a Force of Will both times (1 hardcasted!). Then, the tables were turned and he beats me down.
    Game 2: I have a nice hand and could land a turn 1 Chalice@1, but I know I need more and also have a Pithing Needle in my hand which I want to use to preemptively stop Vedalken Shackles, because from testing, it's game over when he lands that card. So I land a turn 1 Trinket Mage to grab a second Chalice of the Void. He goes turn 1, Grim Lavamancer. Nasty, I decide to take the bait and go turn 2: Pithing Needle on Grim Lavamancer and Chalice@1. He does nothing on turn 2. Turn 3 I go Chalice@2 to prevent Counterbalance, Tarmogoyf and Counterspell get the better of me. But I forgot he also runs Trinket Mages. And Engineered Explosives. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Big mistake. He goes turn 3, Trinket Mage, EE, with a big grin on his face. He knows I'm fucked. But he didn't play his Engineered Explosives yet. I don't know why, and that's his playfail. I topdeck another Chalice of the Void and drop it with X=0. In your face Engineered Explosives! :) We are both unable to do something for a few turns. I draw another Chalice of the Void and decide to lock him out. Chalice@3. My playset of Chalices glistenes on the table as I know he has no winconditions anymore. Or so I thought. Jace, the Mind Sculptor hits the table on the other side. Combined with a couple of Force of Wills, he eventually reaches 12 loyalty and uses his ultimate on me. I am decked. Lost game 2, lost match 1. But in style

Match2: Another guy I know playing UWB Control with Jittes and Bitterblossoms and stuff.
    I don't remember mutch of this match-up, other than that I had to mull 4 times in 2 games and he had alot of discard, so we'll just skip this match. Nothing to see here, move along.

I'm at 0-2 and off to an awful bad start, but I'm determined to save the honor of Faerie Stompy! I start drinking beer at this point, because, you know, at 0-2, you might as well competely enjoy yourself.

Match 3: random local with crappy elves.dec
    Game 1: He surprizes me with the strange deck he has, and am caught completely off-guard when a Might of Oaks on a little Elf takes down my Serendib Efreet. Glen Elendra Archmage just sat there doing nothing. Why? I was so completely flabbergasted by the big fat squirl that I forgot I could counter it! So I lose game 1. Sucks. And by this time I'm also at my fourth beer... Sideboarding:
    -1 Sigil of Distinction, -1 Pithing Needle, -4 Chalice of the Void (it obviously had a crazy curve), +2 Control Magic, +3 Submerge, +1 Sword of Fire and Ice.
    Games 2 and 3: I totally pwn his socks off. He didn't see the submerges coming, and this time, Glen Elendra did her job well holding a Nissa Revane off. Crazy random Elf decks.

So, 1-2 now. Start the redemption! More beers!

Match 4: guy I know playing Madness Survival Reanimate all-in-one!
    Game 1: He goes all-in for a turn 2 Iona, but I have Force of Will. I win.
    Game 2: He wants to go with the Survival-route now, abusing Rootwalla's and Bloodghasts. Pretty nice, but not if I counter the Survival and have a Tormod's Crypt to spare while banging face with a turn 1 Drake. I win.

2-2, that's more like it!

Match 5: random guy playing ANT.
    The guy is random. He played ANT. I win

3-2, now we're getting somewhere...

Final round, match 6: random guy playing Soldiers.
    The guy is random. He played Soldiers. I beat face with Chalice@1 and big flying creatures. I win.

So I ended the tournament at 4-2 and because of bad resistance I end up 9th (out of 29). Still, I take home a nice DCI Stifle. Crazy prizesupport: the judge apparently wanted to dump all the goodies he got from GP:Madrid. I won't complain .

All-in-all it's an awesome deck. I might pick it up for larger tournaments in the future. Maindeck Glen Elendra Archmage is solid gold. The complete lack of Pestermites was MVP all day. Apparently drinking beer is savage tech too. Awesome.
    Last edited by Skeggi; 04-12-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo's...

You're my hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

When Esp is amazing, he's amazing, but when he sucks, boy does he suck. !
    I am looking at what's coming in ROE, and i finally find Prophetic Prism. Can't this card be the card to help FS to get easyer UU and make ESP better ?

Prophetic Prism
    Artifact (Common) 2
    When Prophetic Prism enters the battlefield, draw a card.
    1,T : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

gone testing ;)

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

If you want to play Esperzoa it means you'll have to run a more artifact heavy deck. Chances are Chrome Mox or even Force of Will will have to make way. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. You'll probably end up more towards Deep Blue.

Thread Information