Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

You'll notice there are no Pestermites or Cloud of Faeries. They always proved very disappointing in testing. They have been replaced with maindeck Glen Elendra Archmage.
    I wonder how you efficiently play Glen Elendra Archmage without the acceleration provided by Cloud of Faeries. I also wonder why the maindeck Control Magic over Sower of Temptation (it's a beater if opp doesn't play any dude).

Prophetic Prism is just another Elsewhere Flask, eventually could be better but you need 2 lands + City of Traitors/Ancient Tomb to cast 2UU, and you could do just the same with Elsewhere Flask, so I don't think it's even worth considering (and God knows FS doesn't want to run the 8 of them)

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I wonder how you efficiently play Glen Elendra Archmage without the acceleration provided by Cloud of Faeries. I also wonder why the maindeck Control Magic over Sower of Temptation (it's a beater if opp doesn't play any dude).
    The Glen Elendra Archmage can consistantly hit the table, but often I have no untapped Island for her to be immediately effective. I try to play her when there's a Chalice@1 already on the table. Usually when she hits and she stays until I untap, she either seals the deal, gets stolen by Sower of Temptation or takes 1 removal spell and counters a must-counter.

The reason I ran 1 Control Magic instead of a fourth Sower of Temptation is the reason anyone can come up with: Control Magic is harder to remove. Perhaps a fourth Sower is better, I'm not sure, but so far the 1-of Control Magic hasn't let me down. I haven't had the situation yet where I needed Control Magic to be a Sower (although it's not hard to imagine what kind of situation that would be), but I did have a few occurences where Control Magic was better than Sower: the situation where you have no Chalice@1. Ofcourse I did have situations where Sower would have been slightly better than Control Magic because it's an extra 2 damage every turn, but usually that doesn't matter alot.

Remember: Control Magic can be a dead card against a number of archetypes, but we also still run Chrome Mox and Force of Will. It's never really dead. Besides, Glen Elendra Archmage is totally awesome against these decks, and there are three of her.
    Last edited by Skeggi; 04-15-2010 at 03:54 AM.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Glen Elendra is great, especially with Sword of Light and Shadow^^

We should still think of Spellstutter Sprite (even if we drop Cloud of Faeries) - even Merfolk is trying to play them! This card is just too strong to ignore it and we need more control-creatures.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quick report time from the Salvation Tourney:

FS Experimental
    // Lands
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    10 [UNH] Island

// Creatures
    1 [SC] Shoreline Ranger
    4 [AN] Serendib Efreet
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage
    4 [P2] Sea Drake
    3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
    2 [LRW] Mulldrifter
    2 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 [ALA] Sigil of Distinction
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [MM] Misdirection
    1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
    SB: 1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 [MM] Misdirection
    SB: 2 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    SB: 3 [US] Back to Basics
    SB: 1 [US] Hibernation
    SB: 3 [NE] Submerge
    SB: 2 [TO] Llawan, Cephalid Empress

Was just testing out a ton of stuff hence the random numbers here and there. Will continue doing so. The tourney was way short so this report will be, as well:

R1 Poppelseed with Mono-B Tortured Existence

It basically uses Nightmares and the like with Tortured Existence to create loops and permanent RFG and so on. The Achilles Heel is that it's pretty slow. So I mostly blaze through him.

G1 I just drop Efreet and Drake and while he kills Drake with Shriekmaw, Efreet goes all the way. Got Duressed at the start.

G2 I get Efreet and Sower to force sac on his Carrion Feeder and that buys me enough time to beat it up.

R2 Dyne with Canadian Thresh

G1 I have Chalice at 1 on the play and the game is pretty much over. I get Glen Elendra Archmage out that dies to two Fire/Ices, then SEfreet that gets Forced but then I land Chalice at 2 and eventually draw something to kill him. He makes a smart move of not showing me green lands tho, sticking to two Volcanics making me think it's UR Fish or something random, and sideboarding to all hell.

G2 I lose to early Goyf after my Drake got FoWed and Trinket burned. Trygon Predator joins in and an Efreet lands all too late, forcing a block. He plays Goose and that's game.

G3 I sideboard the anti-green stuff and get Jitte+Efreet early. It gets Fired and Bolted out though, after an Ice. I play Sower on an empty board, he lands Trygon. I Jitte up my Sower & play Drake and Sower & Trygon trade. He has EE at 3, but I have EE at 0 to blow his up. He plays Mongoose, takes 6 to 8, swinging me to 3. He Grips my Jitte (with few counters on it; I had anticipated it tho and been using them to gain some life and deal some extra here and there) while I drop a Sower to chump his Mongoose (my Tombs had been cutting to my health so the race was hard) or swing for the win.

I try for a second Jitte which he FoWs, leaving me with exactly enough to drop Sigil of Distinction for 2; FoW puts him at 7 and Sower + Drake with Sigil finish it. I'm one turn from death myself. We go through all the permutations and figure that no matter how he would've played it, as long as I played correctly I'd win. It was a bit nervewracking to know that a Bolt would be the end of me, but he only had Fire that he had pitched to FoW (but as I said, we went through the permutations and it wouldn't have been enough anyways; if I don't win that turn, Sower blocks and I'll win next turn without fail).

R3 Archmage with Reanimator

G1 I keep a hand involving two double lands, GEA, Jitte, some Islands. He goes first and drops UG Sea; I immediately put him on Storm. My Tomb -> Jitte eats a Daze and the gig is up; it's Reanimator. Good news is that I know what he's playing. Bad news is that my hand is atrocious for the match-up as I have no early threats and no ways of dealing with Iona. He Brainstorms and Careful Studies Iona to grave. Great. However, he hasn't seen any colors from me. I have Sower and Glen Elendra Archmage in hand. So, I make a plan: I'll play City and hope he names the wrong color.

Then I'll take 7 next turn as I play GEA to hopefully make him waste his counters. Finally, the turn before he'd have me, I'll Sower the Iona. And surprise, surprise, that's exactly what happens. He put me on some semi-stax pile or angel stompy or something of the like and names white! Perhaps he believes he has nothing to fear from the other colors. I drop GEA and he Dazes not realizing I have 1 floating from City, so I pay. He Forces pitching Force! Seems good. I take the hit, drop Island and Sower his Iona. He's a bit bemused and I quickly end it with a couple of swings from my team. Phew?

G2 is more mundane; I get Duressed for Chalice with Sower and company in hand; he Entombs twice for whatever reason. He Careful Studies a couple of times, looking for a reanimation spell. Then I just draw Tormod's Crypt while beating with Sea Drake and it's over. Meh.

R4 ID

R5 ID

Top 8 - theintangiblefatman with RGw Aggro Loam

G1 I keep a stupid hand on the play involving two Islands, Chalices and dudes. I die horribly as the "land" I topdeck is a Shoreline Ranger (first time that happened, but given the hand is a clear mulligan anyways, that doesn't really matter) leaving me at one Serendib to his 8/8 Crusher, Knight of Reliquary and Progenitus.

G2 starts well with turn 1 Relic of Proge, turn 2 Chalice at 1, turn 3 Sower on his Crusher. Of course, he has the Seismic Assault. Good news is that with Crusher and Relic, he won't draw any more gas for it. I get beat a couple of times until I'm forced to expend the Submerge in my hand. I do eventually draw Serendib Efreet which I drop, equipping SoFI. His Crusher still comes in and he drops another one. I have Force, but Forcing it would place me at 2 after his swing, 1 after upkeep while I need two swings to win so I decline. This is the only way I can make it happen; this leaves me a Sower as an out. And that's exactly what I draw. One block later, his Crushers are on the wrong team and my airforce ties it at 1-1.

G3 I start with Relic -> Chalice -> SoFI after a mull. Fine otherwise except I have no creature. I do have Submerge tho so I figure it's fine. I also see Hibernation. Then, of course, he has two Countryside Crushers and Seismic Assault. I'm still in a position where a creature at any point wins the game, but all I draw are Cities and Tombs, which is doubly annoying since he has only drawn his live cards with my board blanking basically everything else. So...I die a horrible death after the Crusher reveals 3 lands the turn after I Submerge it, and my Serendib is on the top of the library. I do hardcast FoW on his Crusher, but that's hardly anything to party about.

So...yeah, I did like the SB cards, but I just played shitty enough in the Top 8 that I managed to knock myself out of contention in a relatively good match-up. Forces would've been nice. Also, it's funny how I drew my singleton Chalice G3 and one of the two G2. I guess they just like me. At any rate, Hibernation woulda saved me if he drew literally anything but infinite crushers. Can't have that tho. I was really missing Blue Elemental Blasts there.

Meh, gotta test more with the random cards; didn't actually draw enough Trinkets to deduct whether the Relic is worth it and the Misdirection just never showed up. Still, I like the build and would've had a shot to win if I didn't suck at Magic.

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

How did you like Glen Elendra Archmage in the main? Did you ever miss Pestermite?

I've been using/testing Submerge lately, and I really like having it in the board. I can see the benefit of Hibernation in some situations.

Llawan, Cephalid Empress is in for the Merfolk matchup I presume?

Relic of Progenitus while interesting doesn't really seem to do much more than Tormod's Crypt other than make Chalice decisions more complicated than they should be. What benefit did you see to testing it in the main?

Sorry for picking your brain but thanks for the report.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Congratulations on the result Eldariel. Nice to see you also kicked the Pestermites out and did well. Wouldn't you rather have a third GEA? I really liked mine. How was the maindeck 1-of Misdirection? Do you run enough blue for 4 FoW and 1 Misdirection? And are you sure about Relic of Progenitus? That card has been nothing but trouble for me; running it maindeck seems like an even bigger mistake.

Nice job game 1 against Reanimator by the way, well done . However, why did you play a Chalice@1 against Aggro Loam? They usually make that play themselves. On the other hand, Chalice@2 against Aggro Loam is very good, it hits Life from the Loam, Tarmogoyf, (Dark Confidant in the RGB version) and Burning Wish. Because it hits Life from the Loam, they need to get rid of it. Because it hits Burning Wish, it's hard to find something to get rid of it

@DuxDucis: Llawan also bounces Progenitus.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Congratulations on the result Eldariel. Nice to see you also kicked the Pestermites out and did well. Wouldn't you rather have a third GEA? I really liked mine. How was the maindeck 1-of Misdirection? Do you run enough blue for 4 FoW and 1 Misdirection? And are you sure about Relic of Progenitus? That card has been nothing but trouble for me; running it maindeck seems like an even bigger mistake.
    No, I'm definitely not sure. Relic was good few times (excellent against Aggro Loam making his Terravores and Goyfs mostly dead and yeah), but mostly it's annoying. And yeah, GEA actually came into play in the most surprising capacity of blocker with Persist quite a bit.

Nice job game 1 against Reanimator by the way, well done . However, why did you play a Chalice@1 against Aggro Loam? They usually make that play themselves. On the other hand, Chalice@2 against Aggro Loam is very good, it hits Life from the Loam, Tarmogoyf, (Dark Confidant in the RGB version) and Burning Wish. Because it hits Life from the Loam, they need to get rid of it. Because it hits Burning Wish, it's hard to find something to get rid of it
    It was an unconventional build; in Top 8, we saw each others' decklists. He didn't have Burning Wish at all, and ran 4 Birds of Paradise & StP. He also ran Natural Order. I figured cutting BoPs should help him not resolve NO, and cutting StP removes his only removal spell meaning I should just be able to equip a guy and win. I wouldn't advocate that play against traditional Aggro Loam, but when I have perfect information, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDucis View Post
    How did you like Glen Elendra Archmage in the main? Did you ever miss Pestermite?
    Well, covered above but yeah, I woulda liked 'Mites. Mostly, I think I had few creatures too few. That's the price for making room to try few spells.

I've been using/testing Submerge lately, and I really like having it in the board. I can see the benefit of Hibernation in some situations.

Llawan, Cephalid Empress is in for the Merfolk matchup I presume?
    Mostly, Hibernation/Llawan were Progebounce, especially against NO Bant, with auxillary beneficial effects in other MUs. Worth noting that it doesn't bounce Countryside Crusher though.

Relic of Progenitus while interesting doesn't really seem to do much more than Tormod's Crypt other than make Chalice decisions more complicated than they should be. What benefit did you see to testing it in the main?
    It cantrips so it's never dead except with Chalice at 1 (which, admittedly, sucks) and it hits a wider variety of archetypes as it wipes out Terravores and drops Tarmos into 0/1s too in addition to hosing grave strategies.

As I said, I was mostly testing stuff; the list contains many things I wouldn't bring to a big tournament, like too low creature count and e.g. MD Misds, but I really wanted a chance to see if the miser's copies are worth it.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mostly, Hibernation/Llawan were Progebounce, especially against NO Bant, with auxillary beneficial effects in other MUs. Worth noting that it doesn't bounce Countryside Crusher though.
    Have you ever tried Wash Out? It can't replace Llawan, but might be good in the spot of Hibernation.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Yesterday, I played this list at a small 29-player tournament. Here is how it went:

Round 1: Enchantress.
    Game 1: I'm on the play. I have no idea what he played, but I was able to power out a Chalice@1 on turn 1. So I just went ahead and did that. He throws down a forest, I still have no idea what he was playing. I had the option to throw down a Chalice@2 or a Sea Drake on turn 2. Not knowing what he was playing, I thought Drake would be the safer option. He throws down Argothian Enchantress in his turn. Crap. I so wished I played that Chalice@2 now. I swing a few turns, but he has an Oblivion Ring for my Chalice@1 and for my Sea Drake, so it quickly ends.
    Game 2: I'm not sure how I sided, but it involved getting rid of the maindeck Control Magic and Pithing Needle and grabbing the Engineered Explosives and Tormod's Crypt. Didn't help though, because even though I could throw out Chalices quick, I did not have an extra blue card to support the FoW to counter that damn Oblivion Ring. After a long game, he establishes and wins. Bah.
    0-1

Round 2: ANT.
    Game 1: I was able to do a quick meta scan at the end of round 1 so I knew I was playing ANT. I win the die roll. Again. The poor guy doesn't know what he's playing, but I knew he was up for a nasty surprise. Turn 1: Chalice@1. His lip trembles a bit and he sighs. He fetches for an Island and passes the turn. Turn 2: Chalice@2. He cries, scoops, game 2.
    Game 2: I'm not exactly sure what happened, I was beating him down with a Serendib Efreet I recall, he was at 12 when he casts a Mystical Tutor in my turn. I have a FoW but decide to let it go. He searches for Brainstorm. In his turn, he uses Brainstorm. After that, he drops Petal, and casts Dark Ritual. Having bluffed I have no FoW, I decide to let it resolve. Duress. Fuck. Dumb. Should have countered that Dark Ritual. Ah well, let's see how it goes: LED, LED, Infernal Tutor, Cast Ad Nauseam with B floating... uh-oh. He then flips: Cabal Ritual (10), Mystical Tutor (9), Brainstorm (8), Land, Land, Orim's Chant (7), Ill-Gotten gains (3), Land, Krosan Grip. Kthxbye. Lucky me
    1-1

Round 3: Faerie Stompy. Yeah, that's right, the mirror in a 29 player tournament.
    Game 1: I knew this guy was playing Faerie Stompy and he knew I was, because when you play Faerie Stompy, you notice when someone else does. He plays a list with more equipment and Pestermites. I play an equipment-light list but I have Glen Elendra Archmages and Control Magic. I win game 1 by Control Magicing his 6/6 Trinket Mage with Sigil of Distinction.
    Game 2: I power out a turn 1 Serendib Efreet which was equipped by turn 3 with a Sword of Light and Shadow. I also had Mulldrifters. I hear that's good. Even though he had a Sea Drake with an active Jitte, he couldn't keep up with my massive cardadvantage. I win.
    2-1

Round 4: Landstill.
    Game 1: It's quite a long game and it goes back and forth until I cast a Jitte when there's a Chalice@2. I casted the Jitte out an Ancient Tomb. Turns out this loss of 2 life lost me the game. Stupid. Dumb. Etcetera.
    Game 2: I was able to land Glen Elendra Archmage. Twice. I win
    Game 3: turn 1: Chalice@1, turn 2: Sea Drake, turn 3: equip Sea Drake with SoFI. Drakes from the sea with flaming swords which are also frozen at the same time cause destruction of Biblical proportions. Just the way God intended.
    3-1

Round 5: UGR CounterTop, teammate, same guy I had to start round 1 against last tournament. We both know this is my worst match-up. Not because of CounterTop obviously, but because he has Engineered Explosives, Vedalken Shackles, Firespout and Jace. Bah.
    Game 1: I lose to Vedalken Shackles x2.
    Game 2: Serendib Efreet with Sword of Fire and Ice goes the distance.
    Game 3: Serendib Efreet with Sword of Fire and Ice goes the distance. Nice.
    4-1

I make the cut into top 4 and we decide to split. I was paired against a nice guy so we decided to play a game for fun. He plays Merfolk, I knew this. I open with the following hand: Force of Will, Sea Drake, Umezawa's Jitte, Sower of Temptation, Chalice of the Void, Ancient Tomb, Island, Island. A bit later in the game I also draw Control Magic. I love this deck

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Too bad about the enchantress; I've had good success dropping a beater and a Chalice at THREE on multiple occasions against the deck, though optimally you want Chalice at 2 and 3, of course. Provided you have Crypt/Force/GEA for their Replenishes (of which they usually only have a couple vs. you), you just win then. It's an interesting match-up and another one where experience does, in my experience (heh...), pay off a great deal.

And great job overall. Btw, if you can Chalice at 1 and 2, you generally should. The only decks that's not good against in the format are Dragon Stompy, Armageddon Stax and overall, Ancient Tomb-decks. All, and I mean ALL, green decks tend to rely on 2-drops, be they Survivals, Goyfs, Life from the Loams or, indeed, Argothian Enchantress and Sterling Grove. Or Qasali Pridemage or y'know. So...yeah, just for the future. This tends to stop all outs they have pre-board among other things. And it wrecks most decks, really. If opponent did not land a Mountain or a Plains, chances are those two are game. Like, Merfolk, Storm, Reanimator, most Thresh-builds, Zoo, Sui Black, etc. are all pretty fucked under double Chalice.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    if you can Chalice at 1 and 2, you generally should
    So true. I found out the hard way. But so true . However, if I know a deck has Engineered Explosives I often drop the second Chalice@0.

Nice work. Once I get tired with my new Stax.petdeck, I will sleeve your build.
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

May 2010
    bologna, italy

hi, I'm new of the forum and I'm starting playing Faerie stompy. I've been a MUC player for years and years (morphling, Rainbow Efreet, b2b, propaganda...) and I wanted to try something new to change (even if the metagame for muc is comming very good as for as how I play it).
    My first choice was faerie stompy because I like only beautiful creatures. not progenitals...

I really think the deck needs to be played because it has positive match ups in this metagame. (I'm talking about Europe)

I've tried testing two main different version of the deck.
    - An old style one, running clouds, thirst for knowledge, 4 swords + 3 jitte
    - A more modern one, with mulldrifter; sower; SoL&S...

I personally preferred the old style one. because of its speed and dirty triks Cloud of faeries - pestermite - thirst for knowledge allow.
    and also because here in Italy the metagame is more or less the same as the breakdown of madrid but with more of goblins and merfolks.
    Heaps of goblins... so very fast.

I took this deck sunday to a 75-player turnament:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    8 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod

4 Serendib Efreet
    4 sea frake
    4 cloud of faeries
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 weatherseed faeries

4 Force of Will
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Rushing river

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Pithing Needle

side:
    3 propaganda (to say hallo to aggros & ichorid)
    2 Llawan, cephalid empress (vs merfolks, faeries UGr, bant and its rhox & progenitus)
    2 submerge
    3 hibernation (jeah, bant & progenitals)
    3 misdirection (vs zoo and black based decks. misdirection on hymn to tourach is GG)
    1 tormod
    1 needle

It was the first time I was playing in a turnament fs. so I didn't expect me to do well.
    I prefere pestermite to weatherseed faeries but I expected so many gobs, zoos and FIRE//ICE (very used in heaps of decks in italy) that I didn't want to risk to loose 2 creatures with 1 spell.
    I did 4-3 winning vs merfolks, survival, elves, goblins
    and lost against goblins, merfolks & bant.

I realised goblins and merfolks are quite good matchs for us, but I was new of the match and I made mistakes.
    as for the decks I had, If I had a little more experience a could have made 6-1(bant).
    because I consider good
    match up aggro & combo.
    skill-dependent the aggro-control match up.
    bad mu vs control decks (but very few player play control nowadays)

Let's do some considerations on my version:
    - I didn't like Rushing River. I'll take one out for a further land for sure.
    than I have to decide what to put to substitute the second slot (probabely the 4° trinket mage)
    - as for trinket, I chose to run just 3 because if the opponent goes first and I don't have both chalice and mox, I would play trinket on t2 and chalice on turn 3. and probabely it would be too late (opponent has already done 3 turns). Anyway I'll take the 4°back in.
    - thirst for knowledge is awesome. I love it and I consider it >>>> mulldrifter (in my version, If a played SoL&S I would have run mull). my reasons are:
    a) evoquing mulldrifter is sad (come on, 2 cards for 3 mana sorcery is quite sad and it's not even card quality)
    b) playing mulldrifter with 5 mana is good. but I think I have something better to do with 5 mana. such as cloud + equip + 3 mana open for pestermite or thirst in the opponent turn (or play pestermite sorcery and even equip it)
    c) is not that easy to have 5 mana if the opponent runs wasteland
    d) thirst is superior in terms of drawing: they are both +2 cards in hand but thirst digs more and I don't like moxes in my hand smiling to me in an idiot way.
    - I was running 21 mana sources, probabely I'll take one more in. but the casting cost 2UU is not easy anyway (reason why I was not running sower main or side)

Propaganda in the sideboard is god to me (yes I'm a muc player, but dropping one of them vs gobs of elves or merfolks means victory)
    as misdirection.
    I'm not sure on how to beat bant, what to side in and what to side out... only experience and losing will tell me... any idea?

To conclude I want to thank eldariel for having come to create a blue-aggro-agressive deck so much fun!
    years & years and ago I had a random deck which runned if I remember the following cards

4 Zephid's Embrace
    4 Unstable Mutation
    4 force
    4 miscalculation
    2/3 serendib djinn + 4 efreet
    3 man-o-war
    4 rishadan ports
    4 Saprazzan Skerry
    some faerie conclave
    3 masticore
    4 flying man
    4 Fleeting Image

your faerie stompy looks an evolution and an unswer of how to build my old deck in a modern and comptitive way. well done.

Is somebody playing FS in the old-classic way anymore. Wouldn't it be more competitive with all the aggros running around? hav you got any suggestion for me that I'm new?

maffe

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by serendib View Post
    a) evoquing mulldrifter is sad (come on, 2 cards for 3 mana sorcery is quite sad and it's not even card quality)
    I have to disagree. I regularly evoke my Mulldrifter, and that always nets me 1 extra card. When you play Thirst for Knowledge and you don't find an Artifact, or you don't want to discard the only Artifact you've found, it's significantly worse. Plus the fact that Mulldrifter can be a creature is the real bonus. Yes, there are better plays for 5 mana. But what if you need a creature now. You can't rely on your Thirst for Knowledge to find one of your Cloud of Faeries. Also, Sword of Light and Shadow on any creature, constantly returning Mulldrifter to evoke has also won me many games.

There are quite alot of things in your build I would do differently, but then again, that's why your build is old-school. I suggest you evolve with the meta.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Tangle Wire is bad in Legacy.
    No.

Verbal warning for spam. Please include more content in your posts in the future. This doesn't add anything to the conversation at all. - Bardo
    Last edited by Bardo; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 AM.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

When you play Thirst for Knowledge and you don't find an Artifact, or you don't want to discard the only Artifact you've found, it's significantly worse

There are quite alot of things in your build I would do differently, but then again, that's why your build is old-school. I suggest you evolve with the meta.
    Few times happens to have problems in chosing what to discard. I'm running 16/17 artifact. (16/17 means 1 or 2 artifact lands. it depends on if I chose or not to bring Back to Basics in the sideboard). sometimes also jitte can be discarded because it is legendary. And ISTANT drawing is quite good as far as I run Force of Will and misdirection & hibrnation in the side. and they are better to find a sided-in card.

I don't think that the comparison between thirst & mulldrifter has any meaning not considering the style of playin the deck.
    If the choice is for a more quick and light deck (old style) my choice is thirst + Pestermite/weatherseed faeries + jitte + clouds.
    If I want some "Bombs" more like sower, do some recursions then I would play mull + SoL&S and maybe 23 mana sources. I agree.

So, your points should be according to the meta-choice weather a build better vs aggro or a meta better vs control/aggro control. (If I espect some, here comes b2b in the side)

I personally think that in this Metagame the best build is the more classic. I would agree with yours if there were landstill and control decks. But they are disappearing

I think the FS innovation is now going back to its aggressive goal and smash all the other aggro-decks and the combo decks. Just look at Djinn's list and result in day1 in madrid. (the only changes from the list I posted are the thirst slot that he filled with three 1X because he didn't feel he needed to draw) and the breakdown of the event: decks divided in:
    zoo
    merfolk
    bant
    ant
    and the breakdown I see in Italy is the same.
    I now your built is lightly better than mine against bant in the mid-game. but mine is better against aggro.. and I don't think anyway that the "recursion build" has chance against bant in g1 anyway (with no side). the only way is to beat them is speed. If you go to mid-late game they win I guess.

so, my thought is: let use the stongest build for smashing the good/lightly favorable decks with the main... and hard-sideboarding for the bad MUs instead of using an hybrid build.

Yes, there are better plays for 5 mana. But what if you need a creature now.
    consider that with cloud I can play ancicipate a play of one turn. so I prevent the absence of a creature most times, while running sower & mull, you need to catch up the lack of a creature on your side because they are hard to cast. Let me guess: not as much wasteland in your meta as is mine?!" I allways get wasted in early game. I wonder If I needed 4 or 5 mana... my cloud are the glue of my build (and make daze sterile vs me).
    think of this:
    turn 1 chalice
    turn 2 pestermite in opponent upkeep to tap his land
    turn 3 cloud + equip + attched to pestermite and attack.
    (and opponent has done notting because one (1/2) of his land is tapped and there is chalice. I made 4 drops and some damages and the opponent a brainstorm in his upkeep if he was lucky)
    this play is much much better than the best one you can do (that I can do too):
    t1: calice
    t2: drake
    t3: equip
    because you opponent could do something. like tarmo. or qasali (talking again about bant) and 2 creatures >> 1 drake

I suggest you evolve with the meta.
    sorry. I didn't like this sentence too much...

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

sorry. I didn't like this sentence too much...
    Please excuse me, I did not want to come off as arrogant or blow your version off. Your version is a very legit version, which certainly has potential. However, I do not feel the same way about your version versus my version as you do: I see my version to be perfectly capable of handling Aggro as well. It's still hard against aggro, but judging from your tournament results, even the 3 maindeck Weatherseed Faeries weren't enought to save your Goblin match-up.

I did 4-3 winning vs merfolks, survival, elves, goblins
    and lost against goblins, merfolks & bant.
    You can always lose from Goblins, your build can, mine too. However, stuff like Sower of Temptation and Glen Elendra Archmage significantly increase your Bant match-up. That is, in combination with Chalice of the Void, and that's why I run 4 Trinket Mage. Common misconception is that you need a Chalice@1 asap. While this is a strong play, there are situations where you can afford to drop it later, but you do have to make sure it lands before you drop Sower or GEA.

Let me guess: not as much wasteland in your meta as is mine?!
    Ofcourse Wasteland is a common staple in my meta. I have yet to find a meta where this isn't the case. However, most decks which run Wastelands are also very dependant on cmc1 spells. Guess who has the upper hand then. Also, I run two more Islands than you (I know, you're bringing up this number so I wasn't going to say anything).

Egotist, Anarchist, Athiest, Badass :)
    Feb 2007
    Edwardsville Il.

I have been playing a Red splash version for quite sometime now but for the first time this just came up and I was not to sure the ruling.
    If you play Sea Drake with 1 are 2 fetches as targets and then crack in response, how do these situations work?

I checked the rulings on Gatherer:

When the ability resolves, if one of the lands has become an illegal target (because it's no longer on the battlefield, for example), you return the other one to your hand. If both of the lands have become illegal targets, the ability is countered. This has no effect on Sea Drake.

So you can play Drake, target two fetch, sacrifice the fetchlands, the lands you fetch and the Drake stay in play.

Very interesting, thanks for the tip!
    Threads of Disloyalty: Take control of target Tarmogoyf. Smother: Destroy target Tarmogoyf. Spellsnare: Counter target Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce: Counter target non-Tarmogoyf spell.

Hey guys, i'm building this deck, but i need a seriously help...

//Lands
    1 Seat of the Synod
    9 Island
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

//Creatures
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Mulldrifter
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Sower of Temptation

//Spells
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Psionic Blast

//Sideboard:
    3 Propaganda
    3 Winter orb
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Misdirection
    3 Weatherseed Faeries
    2 Hibernation

//Creatures Type 1
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Mulldrifter
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Sower of Temptation

//Creatures Type 2
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    3 Trinket Mage
    4 Serendib Efreet
    3 Mulldrifter
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Sower of Temptation
    2 Pestermite

//Sideboard, how can i put inside my sideboard Back to Basics?
    Last edited by gmeroni; 05-22-2010 at 03:29 AM.

Thread Information