Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDucis View Post
    I don't think Basilik Collar is good enough. Plus it handcuffs you when you want to set Chalice at 1. The same goes for Relic of Progenitus.

Consider Sigil of Distinction and Tormod's Crypt

Other than that you've got a pretty good start...
    Makes sense, CotV seems to be a pretty key point to the success of the deck. How do you deal with a resolved Iona set to blue? Obviously in an ideal world you Tormod Crypt/FoW her out of existence but what happens when she hits?

No hay trabajo malo. Lo malo es tener que trabajar.
    Apr 2007
    São Paulo, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Arrg View Post
    How do you deal with a resolved Iona set to blue? Obviously in an ideal world you Tormod Crypt/FoW her out of existence but what happens when she hits?
    Besides FoW and Trinket Mage for Tormod's, you can hope to have a creature in play and draw a Swords of Light and Shadow. If you have enough mana, a Sigil also do the job, or two Sword of Fire and Ice.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Hey guys. I had an idea, and I sorta thought of this deck. I was thinking, maybe the new M11 creature could work in this deck as a beater and fill in for CA...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Conundrum Sphinx
    Creature - Sphinx
    Flying
    4/4

Whenever Conundrum Sphinx attacks, each player names a card. Then each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If the card a player revealed is the card he or she named, that player puts that card into his or her hand. If it's not, that player puts it on the bottom of his or her library.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My thought was with something like...

2 Sphinx
    4 Trinket Mage
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives

...setup, you could generate some pretty good card draw if you can stick a SDT. Chalice 1 would be the biggest obstacle.. but at it's worst it's 4 for a 4/4 flyer, which if you attack gives the potential to cycle through to get the card you're looking for the situation next turn.. obviously vs countertop this wouldn't be ideal, but I can think of a lot of matchups it seems like it'd be great card draw, thoughts?
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Apr 2007
    The District

So I hate to bring this deck back to page 1 without offering any insight of my own, but with the possible metagame shift following the bannings, is Faerie Stompy worth picking up? My local shop has Sea Drakes for sale at 20 a piece (my guess is because no one was biting on the previous 40 dollar price tag) and I'm trying to figure out if FS will be worth the investment...

Specifically, how good is our zoo matchup, since that's the only one that worries me?

May 2010
    bologna, italy

I've used faerie stompy to a 2 of turnaments in the last mounth here in Italy and I would like to share my match and building with you. the first one was a 180 person one (I got 50th), the second was much smaller (30 players, finished 7°).
    the maindeck I was running were the same, with some changes in the sideboard:

1 sede del sinodo
    9 island
    4 city of traitors
    4 ancient tomb
    4 chrome mox

4 cloud of faeries
    4 serendib efreet
    4 sea drake
    3 trinket mage
    3 weatherseed faeries

4 force of will
    3 thirst for knowledge
    4 chalice of the void
    4 sword of fire and ice
    4 jitte
    1 pithing needle

side:
    3 misdirection
    3 sower of temptation
    3 propaganda (substituted by 3 aura flux in the second turnament because there were heaps of enchantress decks)
    1 tormod's crypt
    1 pithing needle (-1, +1 Llawan)
    1 Llawan, cephalid empress
    3 hibernation

I can't really remember all the matchs of the first turnaments, but the pairings and the winning plays. unfortunately I lost the last 4 games, after having won the first 4 all by 2-0...

T1: faeries UGr 2-0 (I don't know if you call that deck the same as me. It runned lavamancer, bolts, wasteland+mishra+standstill, goyf and the faerie who counters as the core of the deck)
    g1) winning play: t2 cloud of faeries + jitte, t3 weatherseed faeries...
    g2) serendib + drake + jitte. winning card: misdirection of lighning bolt on the opponent's face

T2: faeries UGr 2-0. same game. won the first match thanks to very fast creatures and equipments, g2 won again thanks to misdirection of bolt on his lavamancer.

T3: merfolk 2-0. drake + jitte both the games.
    side: -1 chalice + 1 needle - 1 weatherseed faeries + 1 Llawan - 3 thirst + 3 propaganda. I wanted him to counter propaganda, so that I could play creatures + equipments free and beat him on speed. I didn't sideboard sower because I was afraid not to be able to cast it because of the 2 wasteland he made me in g1.
    I met Coralhelm Commander for the first time. he is not friendly when he becomes 4/4 flyer. so I had 2 needles in g2: one for him and one for vial.

T4: merfolk again 2-0.... I'm faster. 8 equipments and the cloud of faeries are good against aggro.
    Now I was quite happy because my statistics were 100% of winning

T5: Mono-brown stax. 0-2
    g1) I started extremely aggressive with serendib + sword on turn 1&2. but he played Ensnaring Bridge and I stopped attacking. I would have needed jitte there. then he played several bombs like crucible + smokestack while I attack him with cloud and pro-red. then charged smokestack to 3 and in 3 turns he reset my board.
    g) he played chalice 0 + maze of ith (i play trinket + needle on him), then tangle wire, then tabernacle.
    I think that's a quite impossible match

T6: enchantress 0-2
    g1) he succeeded in stoppiing me that I started mox-tomb-drake in t1, and city-sword-swing on t2 and trinket + needle calling sterling grove on t3 ... thanks to his topdecking both aura of silence and oblivion ring... than he played heaps of stuff...
    g2) can't remember...

T7: team america 1-2
    opening hand (after my opponent shuffle me the deck in a strange way and looking closely at it) 4 ancient tomb + 3 island !!! yeah. people took photos of my hand. everyone laughing in the room. me too.
    mulligan to 6...
    mulligan to 5... notting
    g2) I smashed him and did 2 misdirection on sinkhole and hymn to tourach. misdirection is GG card!
    g3) same as g1. mulligan mulligan mulligan
    every turnament there is a game I lose thanks to mulligan to much. unfortunately that was against a team america. It's the first time I lose to team america with this build.
    so I'm out of top8. bad game because I could do top 8 thanks to very good raiting

T8 I can't remember. I lost against I can't remember. I was upset.

in top 8 there were at the end 2 landeed, 1 zoo, 1 faeries UGr, 1 ANT (it was end of June)

SECOND TURNAMENT:

T1: dark boros 2-0 pro-red + trinket + calice1 + sword for the win
    t2) misdirection for the win

T2: enchantress 0-2 (same player as the previous turnament) 0-2 I hate enchantress
    I'm not enought fast on g1
    I don't see my side on g2 (3 hibenation + 3 aura flux)

T3: my friend with a strange and strong old-style rock 2-0 (4 duress 4 tourach 4 sinkhole 4 pernicious 4 StP 3 edicts 8 big creatures like spiritmonger and exalted angel). We flip the coin to decide wether to play or draw. we play. g1 & g2 I'm too fast for him (misdirectio on hymn to tourach on g2 for the win) even he succeeded in reset the board with pernicious deed on g1.

T4: another rock1-2 . he plays too much birds of paradise who stop my flyers and he plays 2 jitte (the first breaks mine, the second breaks me). I win g2. I lose g3 in the same way as g1.

T5: WG aggro 2-0. I had never see that deck before. he was running mother of runes, serra little angel 3/3, reliquiary knight, vials, StP, mystic+equipments, qasali... but I'm too fast.
    g1) I play 1 cloud 2 serendib, a chalice @1, 1 jitte and 1 sword
    g2) I smash him with t1 chalice at 1, t2 cloud+jitte. he breaks both chalice and jitte with 2 qasali but I play a second jitte and misdirect his sword to plowshares on his angel. YEAH! cloud of faeries is so strong, and misdirection too.

TOP8:
    ANT. yes, I'm happy. but my deck decides not to play and gives me notting in g1 in 3 mulligan.
    g2) I havn't understood jet how was his deck running after the B/R banning tutor. I play tormod chalice 0 and 1 and turn 1 but I draw 4 lands in a row without seeing a beater to swing with the jitte in my hand. he hurkyl my chalices in EOT and makes 12 goblins with the storm red card. I lose. I was not happy losing to ANT with faerie stompy.
    I realised he was running red with instead of mystical tutor, to find Ad Nausea in the side. it wasn't TES, it was ANT.

top 4 was: 2 zoo, 1 faeries UGr, 1 dark depth.

Anyway I won a vindicate for my UWb control deck.

the deck is fun
    the deck is fast and if we succeeded in open aggressively very few decks can resist 3 turns if we play aggro style.

as for the building
    - I'm very happy with cloud of faeries + 8 equipments + 3 thist (allows me to play 8 equips).
    - I'm very happy with the 4 jitte because aggro opponents decks need to break it to win, so 4>>3... and I have thirst...
    - I'm very happy with misdirection! I won so many games with it. I usually take out 1/2 fow + somethink else for MisD
    - I'm not sure about propaganda because I'm so fast anyway. I prefere smashing him that slowing the opponent.
    - I'd like to try back to basics/winter orb in the side because I think landstill are coming back
    - I'd like to try glen elendra too in the side. BUT NOT taking out my misdirection. they do not the same work to my view...
    - I'm not sure of sower. I sideboard them in only against decks I don't need weatherseed faeries & not running hate vs my lands like sinkhole or wasteland. the conclusion is that I use them only vs bant.
    - I love timewalk-pestermite. If There were less red remouval in heaps of deck I would have use them instea of pro-red.

@ Honoluluicecaps. with this build I feel confortable vs zoo (pro-red maindeck). chalice @1 stops a lot of his deck. misdirection in the side to substitute to 3 force of will makes the rest. if you are so scared of zoo, put an E.E. in the side to take with trinket for a wrath of god similar-effect .

sorry for the so long post. come on guys, play faerie stompy again!

Hi
    There has been some discussion about the Mulldrifter Vs. "other card draw" issue... i have been trying versions with and without Mulldrifters, and i am always finding them to slow... is it a matchup thing or is it my playstyle? i have mostly faced belcher, mefolk, bant survival and landstill, and the mulldrifter have never been what it could be.

Does the unbanning of Grim Monolith change anything about this deck's viability? It seems like it could do some good things...

Turn 1 Chalice for 2.

Turn 1 play your 3cc guy, Turn two drop a monolith and accelerate into a SoFI and equip it in the same turn.

It seems to make Mulldrifter work much better. Rather than a Divination, you'll get the 3-for-1 you want more often.

I was having trouble with consistent acceleration. I tried going up to 3 Chrome Mox and 3 Mox Diamond, but they were such dead draws that it hurt more than it helped. I was also having trouble dropping equipment and equipping it in the same turn.

What do people think?

Mar 2007
    RI

Has anyone been playing around with Jace TMS in Faerie Stompy. It seems like a powerful shell to (ab)use him in. He can come online dangerously early, turn 2 admittedly rarely, and more commonly 3. Chalice locks out burning him, the unsummon can be a gigantic tempo play, and the fateseal ability is also nuts if you have flying pressure on board and get to bury relevant removal/racing options. He seems definitely worth testing in the 3 Sower slots and maybe a 4th biting a slot from the Equipment package (since cutting equip-able bodies).

So what do we think about the new Sword??

replacing any of the old ones?

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

I'm pretty sure that this one isn't going to be good enough. I've read about a red-white sword, we will have to wait and see on that one.

SoFI gives you extra damage and some form of card draw, while SoLS can help to erase the pain of Ancient Tomb and recycle beaters from the graveyard. Also protection from white, black, and red are much more useful than pro green and blue. Sure there are corner cases of when protection from green would be helpful, however those are just corner cases.

At this time I see no reason why this one would be any better.
    Last edited by DuxDucis; 07-24-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Grammar
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Libeck View Post
    So what do we think about the new Sword??

replacing any of the old ones?
    Besides from the comparison with the existing swords being in the favor of the old ones, the milling ability will be horrible in the matchup against:

-Loam decks
    -Threshold
    -Anything with a Goyf or Tombstalker in it
    -Reanimator, anyone?
    -Ichorid

So that makes half the metagame, lol.

Then it gives you a token for chumpblocking a huge Terravore, Goyf or whatever. Just Great. And protection from green on a single creature is never or rarely the right solution in a matchup against decks that play green.
    I really do hope there will come a sword that is Red/Black or Red/White that will have some removal ability or deals additional damage.
    Threads of Disloyalty: Take control of target Tarmogoyf. Smother: Destroy target Tarmogoyf. Spellsnare: Counter target Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce: Counter target non-Tarmogoyf spell.

I just wanted to ask if it si possible to play this deck without FOW?

I'm playing on MTGO and FOW costs there $80 or more for a single piece and I really don't want to pay $320 for a playset or more.

Maybe daze, spell pierce or spell snare instead of FOW? Or I could just add more equipment/creatures? What do you think?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

It's possible but will weaken some MUs; FoW generally serves to deal with cards you really just can't deal with otherwise. It also serves as a means to delay combo-decks long enough to setup your Chalices. So you'll have to understand those MUs will suffer, but I could easily see adding some extra guys (especially game-changers like Sower or Glen Elendra Archmage) in those slots for some extra oomph against fair decks.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
    I just wanted to ask if it si possible to play this deck without FOW?

I'm playing on MTGO and FOW costs there $80 or more for a single piece and I really don't want to pay $320 for a playset or more.

Maybe daze, spell pierce or spell snare instead of FOW? Or I could just add more equipment/creatures? What do you think?
    You can try replacing it with Spellstutter Sprite, or Trinisphere just like Dragon Stompy does. That would work best I think.

Spellstutter Sprite gives you an additional equippale body to hit your opponent with and works well with Glen Elendra Archmage, Sower, and Pestermite.

The problem with Trinisphere has always been that your own FOW's then cost 3 mana+1life+a blue card. Since you don't play FOW it will make your matchup against combo better and also your matchup against decks that run daze and FOW.
    Threads of Disloyalty: Take control of target Tarmogoyf. Smother: Destroy target Tarmogoyf. Spellsnare: Counter target Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce: Counter target non-Tarmogoyf spell.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

I'm still waiting to see what the Red/White Sword will be. I hope it is something along the lines of Lightning Helix every connect.

Etched Oracle... cute garbage?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Hmmm new Sphinx looks kinda good.....

Might be something????

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

It's slower than Sea Drake, has less toughness than Serendib Efreet, and has UU in its casting cost. I don't think this replaces anything in the deck.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

It' probably a long shot, but could be worth discussing:
    Brittle effigy, we could use a spot removal slot, that can handle the larger creatures in the format (Stalker, Emrakul, ...) but is it worth the cost?

Pro's
    - It offers colorless spot removal
    - It could be tutored with Trinket mage

Con's
    - slow
    -5 mana to cast and use it
    - @1 it mostly get's countered by our own chalice lategame

Just fishing here, haven't tested anything yet...
    Currently playing and testing:
    Faerie Stompy
    Bant Survival
    UW Tempo
    Zoo

Chimeric Mass is kind of getting me all hot and bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mass View Post
    It' probably a long shot, but could be worth discussing:
    Brittle effigy, we could use a spot removal slot, that can handle the larger creatures in the format (Stalker, Emrakul, ...) but is it worth the cost?

Pro's
    - It offers colorless spot removal
    - It could be tutored with Trinket mage

Con's
    - slow
    -5 mana to cast and use it
    - @1 it mostly get's countered by our own chalice lategame

Just fishing here, haven't tested anything yet...

brittle effigy is ok. nice diggable removal.

Am i the only one who's been using jace in this deck? It's treated me fairly well so far. deals with the emrakul tombstalker and a late iona. i think it's a fine slot although I know it's kinda hard to decide to just throw an extra $300 into this deck :P

Thread Information