Thread: [Videos] GP Madrid 2010 Final

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

[Videos] GP Madrid 2010 Final - EDITED

*****EDITED TO ADD MORE VIDS*****

As some guys already noticed in the venue, several people were recording the final matchup of the GP Madrid 2010. Please note that nobody planned on recording this, they just got they cameras/phones out of their pockets and started recording. Thanks a lot to all the people recording this.

GP Madrid 2010 - Final
    Andreas Muller (Reanimator) VS David Do Ahn (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)

Cadena de Vapor Association version

G1 (1/2)
    G2 (1/2)
    G3

Rufino Parra's version

G1 (1/2)
    G2 (1/2)
    G3
    Excuse the lack of sound. I was its first video editing attempt. I also have to point out that his IPhone ran off battery just before Do Ahn started revealing with Ad Nauseam, so he kind of fixed it up.
    Last edited by godryk; 03-08-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Adding more videos
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Re: [Videos] GP Madrid 2010 Final

Unlucky storm combo :<

That wasn't luck. That was a mistake causing a gameloss.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

If you're referring to the third match, I think it wasn't a mistake, he didn't have any mana source so he has to keep revealing.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

I think that what emidln is saying is that Do Anh could have kept Mystical, DR, DR, Cabal, IGG, then probably Chant and land, I'm not completely sure which is optimal. That hand can get rid of Iona and can survive pretty much anything Müller can muster in one turn (considering he was out of free countermagic, had already played one of his two Thoughtseizes, and after Dazing only had one land in play and three unknown cards + the Island in hand). Make 10-11 mana, Chant, IGG into mana/mana/Infernal (or into Tendrils/Cabal/Infernal if he topdecks the Tendrils), Tendrils for 18.

Hard to blame him much for not doing that level of calculations after 20 matches, though. The 1x Tendrils was the only lethal card left in his deck, while hitting one of his five free mana sources meant an instant win.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I see. I haven't contemplated the posibility of not comboing that turn...

Now I don't claim to be a good player but what I want to know is:
    Game 1, why didn't Muller take the Infernal Tutor with Thoughtseize?
    Game 2, what color did Muller put Iona on and why wasn't it black?
    ゆっくりしていってね!!!

Folk Metal Pirate

Dec 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dyzzy View Post
    Game 2, what color did Muller put Iona on and why wasn't it black?
    @G1 I dunno I was thinking the same
    @G2 I think it was blue because if he puts her on black she gets bounced by wipe away or something like that
    Team SPOD - awesoming all over the place

FC Bayern, Stern des Südens, du wirst niemals untergehen, weil wir in guten wie in schlechten Zeiten zu einander stehen.
    FC Bayern Deutscher Meister ja so heißt er, mein Verein, ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by dyzzy View Post
    His play indicates that he is only afraid of Do Anh's ability to find protection (Ponder) and not his ability to go off (Tutor). This should tell Do Anh that Muller has FoW, but he doesn't care and plays out his hand anyway, so it has to either be a misplay by Muller or just a very risky bluff.

No. He cast Mystical Tutor before Thoughtseize resolved in game 3 which was a blatent fuck up.

Here's how it goes if he doesn't punt:

In Hand:

Infernal Tutor
    Mystical Tutor
    LED
    LED
    Petal

If the opponent takes Infernal Tutor:

Eot Spin top, take the best card. Untap, Petal, LED, LED, Mystical for Ad Nauseam, SDT into Ad Nauseam breaking LEDs with lots of mana floating.

If the opponent takes Mystical Tutor:

Eot Spin top, take the best card. Untap, Petal, LED, LED, Infernal Tutor for Ad Nauseam (obv breaking LEDs) floating 2 mana (1 after the Daze).

If the opponent takes something else:

Eot Mystical (the opponent let it resolve anyway, which was a mistake, but if he's going to let it resolve, fine) for Dark Ritual. Untap, Petal, Dark Ritual, LED, LED/Petal, Infernal Tutor->Ad Nauseam with 1 mana floating (if his opponent took an LED and pays for the Daze, 2 mana floating if he took Petal), but he still has his land drop left.

Alternately, you could endstep SDT looking for a land or acceleration spell. A land lets you play around Daze on Mystical Tutor in your upkeep but leaves you in the no land drop situation if he Dazes Ad Nauseam. Any other acceleration lets you play around Daze completely. Failing to find acceleration or a land would mean you can't go off that turn though (through Daze anyway).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Game 2 Part 1 Müller should have tutored for Force instead of Thoughtseize then exhume Iona on his turn (with the Exhume/Reanimate(?) in hand, I was standing behind him) and have Force protection up. I think.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Just edited the opening post to add another recording of the finals, in case someone feels like watching it.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

I was also standing behind muller in that game and was surprised by the mistake of taking thoughtseize with m. tutor and refraining from exhuming in iona that turn.

Not seeing the correct play because he played magic for 14 hours would be an acceptable excuse for a misplay in the finals. The way he played it was trying too hard to tech when the correct play was the most intuitive one. Than is just poor play and I think Do Anh deserved to win better.

Thread Information