Thread: [Report]It's all about Karma.

[Report]It's all about Karma.

Only 6 days passed since Madrid but I felt like playing Magic once more. This time it was in Outpost Brussels for a price that was dependant on the attendance. 64 people or more would give all dual lands as a first price. I didn’t expect that many the week after Madrid and I was correct, 49 people showed up so it was FTV: Exiled and 4 duals of your choice as first price.

It was me, Jelle and Wim as JelleF had injured his foot and couldn’t walk. Jelle was playing Toprock again as he did in Madrid. Wim was playing his own weird build of CB control and I just ran the same combodeck that I always run. It’ll change soon for testing reasons! So my decklist for now was the following:

3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Orim’s Chant
    2 Silence
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Mystical Tutor
    2 Ponder
    3 Sensei’s Divining Top
    3 Infernal Tutor
    2 Burning Wish
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Doomsday
    1 Meditate
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Side:
    1 Deathmark
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Doomsday
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Chain of Vapor
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Krosan Grip

Wim send me a message that he overslept and would be going by train instead. Jelle picked me up around 11.15 and off we were. I hand Johan the cards he asked to borrow and make some small talk with other people. Seatings are posted to be followed by pairings.

Round1:
    Out of all people I had to play Jan. He organised the hostel and more for Madrid for us. He usually plays stormcombo but played Lands in Madrid so I don’t know yet what to expect.

Game1:
    His first turn Misty Rainforest still means nothing but his second turn Polluted Delta gives it away, stormcombo mirror! We both just build our hand, no one of us wanting to give the first spell as it usually means a loss. He goes for Chant at the end of my turn which resolves and casts Ad Nauseam. He reveals a bunch of cards and goes down to 11. He plays some cards and I keep count of the storm just in case he has the Tendrils in hand. At one point he plays a Chant to which I respond with my own Chant. I check with SDT and see another Chant with a Silence in my hand and I know I have this game won as Jan only has a fetchland untapped. I play Chant, he fetches to which I respond with a Chant. It resolves and Ritual, LED, Doomsday for Meditate, LED, LED, Petal, Burning Wish wins the game.

Game2:
    He has a turn1 Xantid Swarm and I just have the Mystical to get Deathmark but he’ll have one turn. He can’t go off and I draw Deathmark killing the Swarm. He has a second though and I just lose 2 turns later when he casts Ad Nauseam after attacking. Reveal a bunch of cards including an Echoing Truth which surprises me. The thing is, I sideboarded in an Empty the Warrens to generate a bit of pressure but that’ll come out again. So he gets there eventually with his Ad Nauseam with plenty of life to spare.

Game3:
    We both have Xantid Swarm. I have the Deathmark in hand, he Mysticals for it but kills my Xantid anyway. We both build our manabase and Jan manages to resolve Ad Nauseam at the end of my turn once more. We go in time though and I have enough Chants for his turns and he has enough for my turns. Jan takes the result slip and I take it from him and fill in 2-1 for him as a token of appreciation for Madrid.

0-1-0 (1-1)

Round2:
    Paired against an unknown. Ichorid is sitting next to me. He lost 2-0 to Zoo with maindeck Teeg.

Game1:
    He opens with Mountain go and I’m wondering what he plays. Dragonstompy would be a nightmare, anything else red should be ok. I set up to go off next turn. He drops a second Mountain and start getting scared of Chrome Mox but instead he just plays Goblin Piledriver. It’s all over one Ill-Gotten Gains loop later.

Game2:
    He opens with Mountain Lackey. Goblins are so broken! I go Volcanic Island, Petal, Dark Ritual, LED, Infernal Tutor into Ad Nauseam into Petal, Petal, Petal, Ritual, Tendrils. Yeah, Mountain Lackey is the format defining play… .

1-1-0 (3-1)

Round3:
    This should be an unknown face if I hadn’t seen him play against Baptist the previous round. I know he’s playing Vampires.

Game1:
    He opens with fetch into Lacerator. He falls down to 17 from upkeep and fetch, plays a Black Knight and attacks me to 17. I play Ritual, Ritual, LED, Infernal for Ill-Gotten Gains, Ritual, Ritual, Tendrils. He’s surprised that he’s still alive and I smile, pass the turn and he dies on his upkeep. Best kill so far!

Game2:
    He has turn1 Duress and sees my hand of IGG, LED, Mystical, Dark Ritual and 3 land. He doubt between LED and IGG and goes with IGG. I play a land and pass. He drops Thorn. I play Mystical into Echoing Truth and pass again. I drop another land and he is stuck on 2 land. He starts attacking me with a Black Knight but I soon have the kill. He gets another 2 drop and plays it and I see this as my window. I bounce Thorn, untap, draw, play Ritual, LED, Infernal for Ad Nauseam and still have a land drop to make and 1 Underground Sea open. He dies some reveals later.

2-1-0 (5-1)

Round4:
    I should’ve known what this guy was playing. I saw him next to me the 2 previous rounds but I just can’t recall. Once he plays Forest into Llanowar Elves I know though, Elves!

Game1:
    He plays some mana acceleration, attacks me for 4 and has Birchlore + another Elf untapped. I verify that he can make any colour from it and he nods. I Chant just to be safe which resolves. Ill-Gotten Gains wins me another game, I love the card!

Game2:
    I kept in Chant on purpose as I expected him to be having Chord of Calling for Teeg which could be a problem. He opens quick but I can go off next turn. Instead he plays Silence during my upkeep. That’s just a bad play from his end. So he goes off next turn with double Glimpse. Heritage Druid, untap Nettle. Tap for 3 mana, Symbiont and I see the writings on the wall. He passes the turn to me, what? I play Mystical for Chant, Chant him and IGG wins me yet another game. I tell him that he should’ve returned Nettle or any elf to keep on going. He is baffled by his failure, checks the top2 and he could’ve kept on going for sure.

3-1-0 (7-1)

Round5:
    I’m paired against Jurgen. Jurgen is the judge that took my judge exam so I know him very well. He went 3-0 but lost last round and is now facing a bad matchup in stormcombo.

Round1:
    I win the die roll and elect to play. I play a land and pass. He plays Forest and enchants it for extra mana. I have Chant + Silence to walk him but draw Brainstorm. I cast that and see next turn kill so I reshuffle one Silence and Chant him during his upkeep. I go off during my turn through the card we all love, Ill-Gotten Gains.

Round2:
    Jurgen keeps his mana open and is faking manascrew. I know better and don’t go off until I find my Chant. When I find it he plays his Chant in reaction. I knew it! The turn after he plays his land and taps out for Enchantress Presence. I try to of with Ritual, Ritual, Petal, LED, Infernal sacking LED and Jurgen plays Mindbreak Trap on it. That, I did not expect. I check with SDT and see SDT, Tendrils. Switch, Switch, Switch, check top3 and place Tendrils on top, switch, Tendrils for 20. Second cool kill of the day.

4-1-0 (9-1)

Round6:
    I’m 8th in the standings and only have 41% resistance. Damn you opponents! There are 3 people behind me with 10 points and all a higher resistance so I’ll have to play. I’m paired against Goblins. He already defeated two stormcombo players today so I have to be careful.

Game1:
    I mulligan to 6 and keep Chant, Silence, Chrome Mox, Dark Ritual, Ponder, Brainstorm. I Brainstorm into a next turn Ad Nauseam but I get hit down to 6 after Lackey found Chieftain, drop Piledriver, Incinerator, smash. Ad Nauseam needs to be insane and it isn’t. Doomsday, Brainstorm, Silence, land, Brainstorm.

Game2:
    I play land and pass. He opens with Mountain Lackey. I Brainstorm into the nuts. LED, LED, Petal is the best 3 cards I could draw. Petal, land, LED, LED, Infernal for IGG, gg.

Game3:
    This is where my superior skills show. I make a bad call and keep fetch, fetch, Cabal Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Petal, IGG, Tendrils. I’m on the draw and his fast keep makes me think of double hate piece. I wonder what I could draw that wins and I don’t see it. Ritual won’t get there. He opens Mountain go. I draw the Dark Ritual, think some more about ruining his hand with IGG but go against it. He drops Port and Thorn. I draw Mystical Tutor. He drops a second Thorn and I Mystical for Echoing Truth. I draw it and pay 2 to drop Lotus Petal. He drops Instigator and I draw a Tundra from the top. He attacks, drops Chieftain, drops Siege-gang followed by a second port. I cast Echoing Truth for 4 on his Thorns, untap and get both Undergrounds tapped down. I have 5 outs and draw Lotus Petal! I rule. Petal, Ritual, Infernal for another Cabal Ritual, play both for 8 mana followed by IGG getting back Tendrils, Infernal and Dark Ritual. Play Infernal for Dark Ritual, play both Dark Rituals and kill for 20.

5-1-0 (11-2)

Jelle is unhappy about my topdecks. I tell him that my opponent gave me the chance to and made 2 critical errors. First he played a second Thorn before his Instigator. It was better to apply pressure instead of having double Thorn. Then when he attacked with Instigator he gave me 5 outs by passing the turn, 3 Petal and 2 Chrome Mox. He knew I had Echoing Truth and should’ve tapped down a land during a main phase. I would be forced to bounce then and he could replay the Thorn, let me untap with 3 mana but only one out, Chain of Vapor.

Top8 gets announced and I’m first now as the rest drew. We decide on a full top8 split as most just want to go home. I walk away with a mint revised Underground Sea and 2 Scalding Tarn.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Re: [Report]It's all about Karma.

Looks like you got away with one here, too:

Round2:
    Jurgen keeps his mana open and is faking manascrew. I know better and don’t go off until I find my Chant. When I find it he plays his Chant in reaction. I knew it! The turn after he plays his land and taps out for Enchantress Presence. I try to of with Ritual, Ritual, Petal, LED, Infernal sacking LED and Jurgen plays Mindbreak Trap on it. That, I did not expect. I check with SDT and see SDT, Tendrils. Switch, Switch, Switch, check top3 and place Tendrils on top, switch, Tendrils for 20. Second cool kill of the day.
    But congrats on the finish.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Re: [Report]It's all about Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by citanul View Post
    Round2:
    Makes me wonder why the heck he Broke Infernal. I mean, with other counters it at least makes some sense to respond to Infernal in case of EtW or similars (though your mana obviously points out it's not there), but with Mindbreak there's absolutely no reason to counter the Infernal as opposed to whatever Infernal finds. He gave you the match there.

Oh, and nice job.

Thread Information