Thread: The Blender

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

The Blender

I've had this strange idea for quite a few days now and I spent very much time testing it. This deck is some kind of big toolbox featuring a bunch of combos to win the game (and it also got a very simple fallback plan, don't worry!).
    I am fully aware of how inconsistent toolbox decks as a whole are, but I seriously think that this deck got some potential. It uses a huge amount of Cantrips to dig for it's pieces and has a good protection suite in the form of CounterTop and Force of Will + Daze.
    Interested?

Here's the list:

4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 Painter's Servant
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Genesis
    1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Sower of Temptation
    1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress

4 Survival of the Fittest

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    3 Daze

3 Counterbalance

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Grindstone

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    6 Island
    5 Forest

A little explanation of the overall gameplan of the deck:
    Earlygame, you behave like a regular UGThreshCBTop.dec and dig for stuff, shuffle your library and watch out what your opponent plays.
    Play a SotF, then look for which route you should go. Fetch a Squee, then start doing your stuff, either tutor up multiple Goyfs and smash your opponents head in with them, tutor a Sower to take control of their Goyf, get trinket Mage and fetch 1 of the utility trinkets, or simply go for Painter + Trinket Mage + Grindstone, or Painter + Llawan.
    If you need some evasive beats to end the game, why not tutor Vendilion and then go for Trinket Mage -> Sigil?
    Lategame, you have inevitability thanks to Genesis, which can recur anything from the simple Goyf to your Painter + Llawan lock.

The deck seems to have problems with fast Aggro but other than that, it has been pretty easy to dig up a win and then end the game with it.
    Last edited by Nidd; 03-11-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: The Blender

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    The deck seems to have problems with fast Aggro but other than that, it has been pretty easy to dig up a win and then end the game with it.
    I would have said combo. The deck is slow and it lacks mana accelerators (and counterspells). I think that the SotF/Painter plan is good but you have to cut CB and half of your random slots for FoWs and accelerators. I would also include the Loyal Retainers / Iona combo.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    I would have said combo. The deck is slow and it lacks mana accelerators (and counterspells). I think that the SotF/Painter plan is good but you have to cut CB and half of your random slots for FoWs and accelerators. I would also include the Loyal Retainers / Iona combo.
    Well, you have 4 FoW, 3 Daze and Counterbalance to take care of Combo G1. After boarding, you could always bring in Spell Pierce and/or Dispel.

Yes the deck can be quite slow at times, but aggressive draws aren't that uncommon. Remember, you got Brainstorm and Ponder at your disposal, hitting your landdrops is very realistic and you don't really need the manadorks other decks use.
    A W splash exclusively for Iona+Retainers Combo looks like it would make the manabase more unstable without really adding too much for the added inconsistency - aside from the awesome synergy of Painter + Iona. hm, maybe some of the other toolbox creature can go, then, if I add W.

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

I think the Sigil of Distinction, Llawan and Genesis can be cut without problems.
    For this, i would add the Iona Combo and maybe a 2nd Explosive.
    Also, i would include 1 Academy Ruins.
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

Did you forget to list the FoW and Daze on the list?

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by TygerClaw View Post
    Did you forget to list the FoW and Daze on the list?
    God, I feel so stupid now... Yes, I forgot them.

Thread Information