Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: [Deck] Excalibur

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

Re: [Deck] Excalibur

So I won the local weekly local legacy tournament last Monday.
    I threw in some cards last minute miscounting how many I took out, which put me at 62 in the main. Ran just fine but I've since cut the couple extra cards out.
    I won against mono black reanimate, affinity, and UWB CB thopters. I also drew to a friend running sligh to grab a bite to eat.
    Thopters was a tough match-up and I should have probably lost game one, but he passed a turn without using Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. It knocked him off tempo enough for me to steal the win. Sword of FaI is pretty boss against blue thopter tokens.
    If anyone wants a list, just let me know. I went 2-0 against the field, but could have been my opponents not drawing anything.

Jun 2009
    Germany

[Updated 1/6/11]
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Savannah
    2 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Mutavault

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Vendilion Clique
    4 Spellstutter Sprite

4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Ponder
    1 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

SB:
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Trygon Predator
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Lightning Greaves
    3 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Spell Pierce
    I have a few questions about this list from the first post.
    Will Mental Misstep find his way into the deck?
    If you want to play Jace, is one really enough?
    Is this your current sideboard cause it looks so strange? o.o

Took a look at this thread some time ago but after my beautiful Bant Survival is unplayable I'm looking for a new "cool" deck that is not mainstream. :P
    I like the synergies in the deck and want to test it now.

Asking if it's a good idea to play the deck is useless because all of you seems to be fallen in love with it. :D
    Currently Playing:
    Aggro Loam

Currently Testing:
    The Gate
    Excalibur

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

I play a pretty similar list to that.
    I don't see Mental Misstep seeing much play in this deck, but is worth testing. However, considering that Spellstutter Sprite already deals with anything Misstep would while creating actual card advantage. As far as worrying about something on turn one, there aren't too many decks that can play something you can't answer later. Only exception being against super fast combo such as belcher.
    Considering the brainstorms and ponders with all the shuffle effects, finding the Jace when you need it isn't too bad. The deck is aggressive enough that it only needs Jace to seal the deal in control match ups after you run out of gas.
    My sideboard is based around my particular meta, so I can't say for sure what would work for you.
    Hope that helps

Jun 2009
    Germany

Oh, what I forgot: Why Lightning Greaves? o.O
    Currently Playing:
    Aggro Loam

Currently Testing:
    The Gate
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Fasbi View Post
    Oh, what I forgot: Why Lightning Greaves? o.O
    greaves was because of the popularity of the Lands deck in the current meta, and with greaves we turn off their mazes and make our goyfs hasty.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
    I play a pretty similar list to that.
    I don't see Mental Misstep seeing much play in this deck, but is worth testing. However, considering that Spellstutter Sprite already deals with anything Misstep would while creating actual card advantage. As far as worrying about something on turn one, there aren't too many decks that can play something you can't answer later. Only exception being against super fast combo such as belcher.
    Considering the brainstorms and ponders with all the shuffle effects, finding the Jace when you need it isn't too bad. The deck is aggressive enough that it only needs Jace to seal the deal in control match ups after you run out of gas.
    My sideboard is based around my particular meta, so I can't say for sure what would work for you.
    Hope that helps
    As sad as it is, i'm not sure this deck is terribly playable anymore. the printing of mental misstep is certainly a great success for the deck due to the fact that we can now stop the only things that really gave us trouble (steppe lynx, nactal, lavamancer, vial, and lackey) but the issue is that zoo is not being played, nor is goblins (at least not in the grand scheme of the legacy metagame) and merfolk has added misstep and its way better for them than it is for us. Our game plan hinges on resolving either a hierarch or StP every game against fish, and with them having missteps, the matchup has become rather tough. we can misstep their missteps, but it seem like if we want to keep playing this deck, the thing to do is cut some number of fow's from the maindeck, and replace them with something that doesn't lose us card advantage. Obviously we would need a full set of mental missteps then, and perhaps something else.

In my previous posts I have said that KOTR is bad in excalibur, and it is, but now i'm going to tell about what i've been testing post-misstep. I've cut goyfs from my list, and instead i'm running 4 SfM and 4 KoTR. I've been fooling around with various numbers of GSZs, but now i'm running 4 wastes and dryad arbors rather than mutavaults, and i cut all the faeries. its not excalibur but it is stoneforge bant, so it is still slightly relevant.

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

@talon7331
    I really can't agree with your analysis of what gives us trouble. Vial decks in general lose to sword of fire and ice and jitte, and misstep doesn't stop a stoneforge mystic. It also gets counted via spellstutter all the time, every time.
    In a recent game against CB-thopters, my opponent kept telling me how he wished he had spell snare rather than misstep the entire game. There isn't a single threat in the deck that can be misstepped.
    I've toyed with knights and zenith, but the faeries generate immediate card advantage and pair better with the swords.
    If you're running wasteland and no flash creatures, you should try running daze. It'll let you have an answer after tapping out every turn and compliments your mana denial.
    Exactly what match-ups does knight and wasteland shore up for you?

Sep 2006
    Gent / Flanders

I stumbled on beneath list a while ago and started testing with it since it seemed very interesting to me. It is in no way a strict 'excalibur' list but I asked Talon prior to posting and he tought it could provide some new life and ideas for this thread.

I've been looking for a new deck for a while now (Landstill gets a little boring after 3 years :p) and haven't quite found something yet. Until I found the following list in an Italian top-8.
    It's a pre mental misstep list so it could probably included although my early testing revealed that 1-drops are not that debilitating for you and you rather have the taxing effect from spell pierce to keep the real hosers (deed, woG,...) away long enough so you can seal the game. (given the dominance of misstep in the latest Top-8 results I'm doubting that decision now)

Tested match-ups:

High tide (pre board unfavorable, post board 50/50)
    Counter/top (pre-board 60/40)
    Counter/thopter (pre board 55/45)

The list:

2 Underground Sea
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Mutavault
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    4 Ęther Vial
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares

SB: 3 Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Path to Exile
    SB: 2 Perish
    SB: 3 Relic of Progenitus

Sideboard is not that important now (and metagame related so not very interesting to discuss as of now).

I think most concern is the mana base and I found that it could be shaky. You definetly can get mana screwed when they double waste and you have no vial. On the other hand the deck only needs 2 lands to function so it's manageable. Without land disruption your only worry is not seeing white for one or the other reason.
    I have been thinking though that 4 colors is way to gready and would like to cut green (seems like the weakest color). Counterbalance seems on the decline and I only really need green for the krosan grip. Logical fill in would be vendillion clique but I hesitate because it is yet another wizard with 1 toughness.

Any comments, ideas are welcome.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

I recently sleeved up Excalibur as the list looked very interesting for a local casual. I went 4-1-1 thru the swiss to 4rth place. It was very fun to play and i love how many options u have thru the Equipments. I chose to not run any creature stealers main deck and instead include +Mental Mistep +JaceTMS +Wastlandx2.

It seemingly smokes most aggro decks (1 zoo, 1 SuiBlack, 2 Merfolk present) and has enough counter to beat other control/aggro hybrid decks. Altho i felt at odds against TAs diacard, maby just my inexperience with the deck. An experienced TA player won the show.

Props to: Spellstutter, Vendilion Clique, Jace and SoFI. They were all game breakers.

List.
    4 Goyf
    4 NH
    4 SSF
    4 FOW
    4 Stps
    2 SFM
    2 Jace
    2 VC
    2 MM
    2 Spell peirce
    4 BS
    2 Ponder
    1 SoFI
    1 Jette
    1 SoLD

4 Mutavault
    2 Wasteland
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island

I think im going to keep this deck togeather as it seems awsome to play.

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

I actually played against Team America last week and took the win. I don't really know if it was the deck or I just outplaying my opponent. You can play around discard with brainstorm. Fetch basics first to counter wasteland, then keep your fetches up until you need to cast something. Noble hierarch fixes all your mana problems they try to create and insures your goyfs are larger than theirs. I also run Sword of Feast and Famine in the main. After it hits play it's nearly impossible for them to win.

My hardest matchup was against Stifle Naught running Torpor Orb. The orb is pretty house against the deck, and I even had a Spellstutter Sprite get stifled in one game.

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

This here is my exact current list that I've been running with great success. I've considered putting in Batterskull somewhere in the 75. I don't know what I'd cut in the main deck, but it could easily be put in the sideboard replacing the Hydroblast or the Jitte.
    Thoughts, comments or concerns?

// Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Mutavault
    1 Plains
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Windswept Heath

// Creatures
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Vendilion Clique

// Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Ponder
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 1 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Lightning Greaves
    SB: 2 Path to Exile
    SB: 1 Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 1 Sower of Temptation
    SB: 1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Trygon Predator
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte

Reanimater and Zoo both been springing up in my meta pretty recently. Iv been trying to smooth over my non-mana control elements so i can EoT effects and get Sword carriers in play.

Changes: -1 Forest, -2 Ponder, -1 Flooded Strand >> +2 Mental Misstep, +1 Dryad Arbor, +1 Windswept Heath.

List.
    4 Goyf
    4 NH
    4 SSF
    4 FOW
    4 Stps
    2 SFM
    2 Jace
    2 VC
    4 MM
    2 Spell peirce
    4 BS
    1 SoFI
    1 Jette
    1 SoLD

4 Mutavault
    2 Wasteland
    1 Island
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Plains
    1 Windswept Heath
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island

I like the Batterskull, however the SoLD seems too good vs creature control. thoughts?

Dec 2008
    New Mexico

I took some time away from this deck but decided to run it in a small local tournament last night. My list really hasn't changed much, but I squeezed a 4th Stoneforge Mystic, a BatterSkull, and a Sower of Temptation into the main by moving the Spell Pierce to the sideboard.
    I went 3-1-1 beating U/B ANT 2-0, RUG Tempo 2-0, Death and Taxes 1-0, Drawing to U/W Stoneblade 1-1-1, and losing to Sneak Attack with Show and Tell 0-2 in the last round for 1st place.
    Spellstutter Sprite is rather excellent against Snapcaster, especially with our equipment package. Trygon Predator was MVP against Stoneblade.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I played this deck for awhile a few months back - here's the list I ran:

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    2 [U] Tropical Island
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [A] Savannah
    2 [A] Tundra
    4 [CHP] Mutavault
    1 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [SHM] Island (4)
    1 [M12] Plains (4)

// Creatures
    4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    3 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique

// Spells
    4 [U] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [GPX] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 [FNM] Brainstorm
    3 [LRW] Ponder
    2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 [NPH] Batterskull
    4 [DS] AEther Vial
    3 [DD2] Daze
    4 [AL] Force of Will

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [HOP] Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 [ARB] Meddling Mage
    SB: 2 [ARC] Path to Exile
    SB: 1 [COM] Aura Shards
    SB: 1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
    SB: 1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
    SB: 2 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 2 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 [NPH] Surgical Extraction

I went back to playing Aether Vials and never looked back. Vialing in a Stoneforge Mystic is just so brutal. I had never been too happy with Nobles in the past and have been really happy with the Vials.

Vialing in a Spellstutter absolutely gives High Tide fits :)

Thread Information