Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2040

Thread: [Deck] The Gate

  1. #2021
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Companion is messed up, no doubt. In that case, I think Kroxa is a decent substitute (if a little less aggressive.)
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  2. #2022

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    The Ride

    1x Plague Engineer
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Gifted Aetherborn
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    4x Murderous Rider // Swift End

    2x Liliana, the Last Hope
    3x Liliana of the Veil

    3x Hymn To Tourach
    4x Thoughtseize

    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Liliana's Triump

    2x Umezawa's Jitte

    2x Castle Locthwain
    19x Swamp



    Sideboard

    1x Null Rod
    1x Damping Sphere
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    1x Plaguecrafter
    1x Ashiok, Dream Render
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    2x Plague Engineer
    4x Faerie Macabre





    Just an idea... maybe it's time to stop living in the past.

  3. #2023
    Member
    KobeBryan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Arcadia, CA
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    how do you guys feel about playing unearth, bloodghast, cabal therapy, village rites, and archfiend's vessel. Eliminate looks like a decent card since this deck can't answer planeswalkers.

  4. #2024

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    I took my list out for a sort of FNM-like event (4 games)

    These were the results:

    The Ride

    1x Plague Engineer
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Gifted Aetherborn
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    4x Murderous Rider // Swift End

    2x Liliana, the Last Hope
    3x Liliana of the Veil

    3x Hymn To Tourach
    4x Thoughtseize

    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Liliana's Triump

    2x Umezawa's Jitte

    3x Castle Locthwain
    18x Swamp



    Sideboard

    1x Null Rod
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Damping Sphere
    1x Gate to Phyrexia
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    1x Ashiok, Dream Render
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    3x Plague Engineer
    4x Faerie Macabre



    Results:

    1-1 Draw vs Blue Artifacts (Urza + Echon of the Eons) - On the Draw
    2-0 Win vs 4c Delver - On the Play
    2-0 Win vs UG Infect - On the Draw
    0-2 Loss vs BANT-Control - On the Draw




    I'm pretty happy with the mainboard. Murderous Rider does kill planeswalkers (huge upside).
    I think the sideboard needs something to totally wipe the graveyard. Faerie just doesn't cut it and CMC is also high for confidant. Maybe switch two of them too Tormods' crypts... because Uro, Titan of naturs' wrath... well, it's horrible. Maybe the one Ashiok just isn't fast enough... I think changing it to a second Chains of Mephistophles might work better.

    Oh, and I pushed a Gate in the sideboard... for all you conservatives

  5. #2025
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Ashiok is incredible, I would play up to 3 in your sideboard.

    Cutting Wasteland: budget decision or metagame decision?
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  6. #2026
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    how do you guys feel about playing unearth, bloodghast, cabal therapy, village rites, and archfiend's vessel. Eliminate looks like a decent card since this deck can't answer planeswalkers.
    Don't threaten me with a good time!!! Sounds sexy.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  7. #2027

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Cutting Wasteland: budget decision or metagame decision?

    I just want to have mana...
    The Gate, doesn't have a lot of manasinks. Like, it used to play a withered wretch here and there in 2012. And sometimes someone plays a shade.
    But in overall, "The Gate" doesn't have annything to do with it's surpluss mana.

    Castle Lochtwain changes that. 4 mana draw a card when you are in top deck mode after discard spells and liliana of the veil... is pretty nice. You just need to kill Narset. Like if Narset is on 1, kill it unless you can kill your opponent. Because the castle can get you back into the game later on.

    The Gate never was about mana restriction annyway. It's cute to wasteland, and it can deff give you an advantage. But a lot of the old builds also needed to go up to 3 and 4 to get more important stuff out. I know you run ritual... but even with ritual in this deck, you can still Loctwain for 2 lands, and play something with the lands you have left.

  8. #2028

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    So many wonderful cards that are tailor made for The Gate in this year’s sets....

    Agadeem’s Awakening
    Nullpriest of Oblivion
    Nighthawk Scavenger
    Bloodchief’s Thirst
    Eliminate
    Murderous Rider

    Nullpriest is an evasive 2 mana lifelinker early game that turns into a reanimate spell late game.

    Nighthawk is a Goyf with lifelink and flying and deathtouch tacked on for just one extra mana. Might surpass goyf actually.

    Dark Confidant is amazing with all of the above.

    The creature base is now extremely efficient and grindy enough to create inevitability. We just need the right mix and a high enough concentration of discard and removal to function as a controllish deck.

  9. #2029
    Member
    KobeBryan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Arcadia, CA
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    So many wonderful cards that are tailor made for The Gate in this year’s sets....

    Agadeem’s Awakening
    Nullpriest of Oblivion
    Nighthawk Scavenger
    Bloodchief’s Thirst
    Eliminate
    Murderous Rider

    Nullpriest is an evasive 2 mana lifelinker early game that turns into a reanimate spell late game.

    Nighthawk is a Goyf with lifelink and flying and deathtouch tacked on for just one extra mana. Might surpass goyf actually.

    Dark Confidant is amazing with all of the above.

    The creature base is now extremely efficient and grindy enough to create inevitability. We just need the right mix and a high enough concentration of discard and removal to function as a controllish deck.
    The new nighthawk certainly surpasses goyf

  10. #2030

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Its not bolt proof like Goyf but thats why we play Thoughtseize

  11. #2031
    Member
    KobeBryan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Arcadia, CA
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Its not bolt proof like Goyf but thats why we play Thoughtseize
    it dies to removal is never a good argument man.

  12. #2032
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Is Unearth an option? Once you have a bunch of ideal threats under 3 mana, Unearth seems like pure value. I'm *not* saying go deep, but 1-2 isn't hard to jam in, and at worst it's a re-draw.

    Edit: Rotting Regisaur tricks sound good to me too...
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  13. #2033

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Yeah, both Unearth and Reanimate seem amazing with Scavenger Nighthawk.

    Nighthawk gains you a lot of life so the upside of being able to reanimate your opponents biggest creature after a turn 1 Thoughtseize seems worth the lifeloss.

    Really depends on the local meta and how many Primeval Titans and Griselbrands you expect to face.

  14. #2034

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    it dies to removal is never a good argument man.
    Sarcasm?

    "It dies to removal" is an often-derided argument because, in general, stuff does die to removal. But when you raise a specific A vs B comparison, every commonly encountered removal spell that hits A but not B is a point in favor of A.

    If they print Goyf With Hexproof (or even just Goyf With Protection From StP). you're not gonna claim that Plain Goyf is just as good because it doesn't matter that it dies to removal.

    It could be true that dying to Bolt isn't that big a deal, and that the pros outweigh the cons... but that would be a different statement.

  15. #2035
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Sarcasm?

    "It dies to removal" is an often-derided argument because, in general, stuff does die to removal. But when you raise a specific A vs B comparison, every commonly encountered removal spell that hits A but not B is a point in favor of A.

    If they print Goyf With Hexproof (or even just Goyf With Protection From StP). you're not gonna claim that Plain Goyf is just as good because it doesn't matter that it dies to removal.

    It could be true that dying to Bolt isn't that big a deal, and that the pros outweigh the cons... but that would be a different statement.
    You're shifting the goalposts. The comparison wasn't Goyf or Nighthawk vs. HexproofGoyf or HexproofNighthawk, it was just 'is this card better than Tarmogoyf at closing games in this deck.' By your argument we should splash green for Hexdrinker, Thrun the Last Troll, or True-Name Nemesis, because we *do* have comparable mana-cost creatures to Goyf/newNighthawk that are indeed hexproof.

    It's really hard to argue 'dies to removal' in any competitive format. Everything dies to some sort of removal, even Emrakul and Progenitus, so you build with the format in mind. Tarmogoyf sees very little play right now, basically just in RUG Delver and even then not as a 4-of, and it's not because Tarmogoyf isn't a huge creature. It's because it doesn't have additional value. Look at Uro and Dreadhorde Arcanist, both of those add relevant value that a pure beatstick doesn't. NewNighthawk also adds relevant value: evasion, flies to block Marit Lage, deathtouch, and it could easily be a 4-5 power threat. Just one hit with this guy will swing games in big ways. Equip with Jitte? Fuhgedaboutit.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  16. #2036

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Alice: Let's compare Creature X to Creature Y.
    Bob: OK. First off, Creature X has Boltproof and Creature Y does not.
    Alice: You mentioned a removal spell, so your comment is invalid.

    ***

    So, I don't know whether Goyf or Nighthawk is better in this deck or any other deck. I just think Alice is engaging in careless thinking in this example and being overly categorical, not to mention a bit rude to Bob. It's not that weird a situation to run into a Lightning Bolt. You will absolutely lose some games if you choose the threat that lacks Boltproof, just as you will lose other games if you choose the other threat.

  17. #2037

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Is the philosophy behind the deck similar to what it was in the primer/creation? Looks like it doesn't get much updates these days but I came from pox so i've got the entire deck, practically, in my pox binder so i could sleeve up a variant pretty quick.

    It almost feels like it comes off as an agro pox deck, but without the pox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

  18. #2038
    Member
    KobeBryan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Arcadia, CA
    Posts

    2,165

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Is the philosophy behind the deck similar to what it was in the primer/creation? Looks like it doesn't get much updates these days but I came from pox so i've got the entire deck, practically, in my pox binder so i could sleeve up a variant pretty quick.

    It almost feels like it comes off as an agro pox deck, but without the pox.
    The original idea was to get ur fatty up in there, flying 6/6. 12 ways to get rid of it.

    There are just simply better cards to play now.

  19. #2039
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,792

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    I liken this deck to mono-black 'Jund', everything is either efficient disruption (Thoughtseize, Push), dangerous threats (Regisaur, Nighthawk Scavenger) or card advantage (Confidant, Hymn, Jitte, Rider, Engineer.) Roll that into a bulletproof mana-base and you have The Gate. The older cards are different, but it's the same plan. It used to be 'cute' by playing a 6/6 flying trampler for 4 that needed an Innocent Blood/Therapy/Gatekeeper to win the game to 'combo'. While a 4-mana threat isn't bad due to getting around Abrupt Decay, the format is just faster. Our threats need to be more efficient and our cards need to do more.

    The old version was a blast to play because of the tricks; the newer cards are better but much more boring. I want my opponent at -7 life when I kick a Gatekeeper FTW.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  20. #2040

    Re: [Deck] The Gate

    So the consensus seems to be that Scavenger Nighthawk is a fantastic addition to the deck.

    Which of the other cards below are also worth playing?

    Agadeem’s Awakening
    Nullpriest of Oblivion
    Bloodchief’s Thirst
    Eliminate
    Murderous Rider

    Is Gatekeeper still good enough?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)