Thread: [Deck] The Gate

Re: [Deck] The Gate

I guess it blocks Lilly too, so that makes it harder

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpurplemonkey View Post
    I guess it blocks Lilly too, so that makes it harder

Wait, can we just play it in the main and ignore the deckbuilding restrictions?

Wait, can we just play it in the main and ignore the deckbuilding restrictions?
    Yes

Here's the real question then. Does lurrus make cabal therapy better than thoughtseize?

Here's the real question then. Does lurrus make cabal therapy better than thoughtseize?

If you're saying this because you're thinking about casting it from the graveyard, Lurrus affects only permanent cards, so it doesn't matter to those cards particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by mulletsss View Post
    If you're saying this because you're thinking about casting it from the graveyard, Lurrus affects only permanent cards, so it doesn't matter to those cards particularly.
    N..no. cast cabal therapy, flash it back by sacrificing a creature, recast the creature with lurrus.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

When and how do i select it as a companion. Im guessing this one would be in the sideboard and one in the maindeck

Im also guessing lands would be able to be cast since its a converted mana cost of 2

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    When and how do i select it as a companion. Im guessing this one would be in the sideboard and one in the maindeck

Im also guessing lands would be able to be cast since its a converted mana cost of 2
    You dont cast lands. And you cant have one in the main deck if it's your companion due to its restriction.

Lurrus just sounds like extra work to be honest. Bitterblossom and Bloodghast can give you a steady stream of creatures, combining it with Cabal Therapist just lets you tear your opponent's hand apart.

On another note, I almost wonder if playing up to 4x Faerie Macabre in the main could be worthwhile. It can help fight against super fast combo decks trying to abuse Lurrus. It's good for reanimator, Echo Of Aeons combo decks, Dredge, and Storm decks, so it seems alright.

You can't have it both maindeck and as companion, since it's a deck building restriction, so you have to meet the criteria when building the deck. gate plays enough 3 drops it's probably not worth trying to restructure to use as companion, which is why I was talking about playing them maindeck.

N..no. cast cabal therapy, flash it back by sacrificing a creature, recast the creature with lurrus.

Didn't see this route of play coming. Awesome!
    Yes, it would indeed be a very resourceful play. Combined with Kitesail Freebooter (already on the field), you can take as much as 3 cards out of your opponents hand. Or even Gatekeeper of Malakir if you have enough mana.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Coming from Deadguy, it seems greedy and too open to opportunistic opponents to catch you with a free 2 for 1 by relying on Cabal Therapy to sacrifice otherwise useful creatures. Sure in Gate style deck Gatekeeper does his job and sacrificing him just lets him do his job again, but Lurrus will always have a target on him, more so than Dark Confidant or anything else, he's the must kill creature, so developing a strategy that assumes he will be in play is a heavy assumption.

I've made the argument in other threads, but Lurrus seems best suited for any fair(ish) grind type of plan, like Deadguy or Gate style decks. He'll recast once a turn, so you're cut of from nonsense infinite idealistic plays, LED is a net zero play, +2 storm with lots of risk at most. I anticipate he'll be king of the mid game to recover the trivial 1 for 1 trades suffered in the early game, punishing those hoping the single Fatal Push or Lightning Bolt against you will be enough to press their advantage. A turn 3 Lurrus sets up a very dangerous turn 4 for them.

All the fancy tricks of Companion and whatever only benefit you from +1 Lurrus to a zero maindeck count. Even without tricks, he's a fair body on his own, I expect his use to be in maindeck in multiples. Any one you can get to avoid the Bolt or Push will aid you on ways similar to Dreadhorde Arcanist in decks built for them. Once your opponent has no choice but to let you untap with Lurrus, you're in a good spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Coming from Deadguy, it seems greedy and too open to opportunistic opponents to catch you with a free 2 for 1 by relying on Cabal Therapy to sacrifice otherwise useful creatures. Sure in Gate style deck Gatekeeper does his job and sacrificing him just lets him do his job again, but Lurrus will always have a target on him, more so than Dark Confidant or anything else, he's the must kill creature, so developing a strategy that assumes he will be in play is a heavy assumption.

I've made the argument in other threads, but Lurrus seems best suited for any fair(ish) grind type of plan, like Deadguy or Gate style decks. He'll recast once a turn, so you're cut of from nonsense infinite idealistic plays, LED is a net zero play, +2 storm with lots of risk at most. I anticipate he'll be king of the mid game to recover the trivial 1 for 1 trades suffered in the early game, punishing those hoping the single Fatal Push or Lightning Bolt against you will be enough to press their advantage. A turn 3 Lurrus sets up a very dangerous turn 4 for them.

All the fancy tricks of Companion and whatever only benefit you from +1 Lurrus to a zero maindeck count. Even without tricks, he's a fair body on his own, I expect his use to be in maindeck in multiples. Any one you can get to avoid the Bolt or Push will aid you on ways similar to Dreadhorde Arcanist in decks built for them. Once your opponent has no choice but to let you untap with Lurrus, you're in a good spot.
    So the list I'm trying to put together is with lurrus maindeck as a 3 of, partly so I have another in case of removal, partly because I still want to play Liliana. It would also include unearth to recur him. So there's a good chance he would be out when needed.

I can see mainboard Lurrus working out, but I still don't think it actually does all too much. That aside, one card I really think people are sleeping on is Rankle, Master of Pranks. Every time he hits, he gives you BOTH of LotV's first two abilities at once. Backed by some recursive creatures (Bitterblossom and Bloodghast) he's super backbreaking. The Cabal Therapist interaction with the recursive threats is also noteworthy. Dark Ritual might be bad, but I've found that the speed it gives is necessary to compete with the more unfair decks floating around. T1 Thoughtseize won't always be enough to disrupt Show and Tell or Reanimator, but T1 Thoughtseize into Hymn is hard to recover from. Still I might be wrong, I'm still testing around on MTGO and tweaking the list. Anyways, here's what I've come up with.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2935749#paper

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Why not splash red to get some haste ball lightning type creatures to bum rush them more? Just a thought. It would be a more recurring problem than castin cabal therapy

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Why not splash red to get some haste ball lightning type creatures to bum rush them more? Just a thought. It would be a more recurring problem than castin cabal therapy
    Vexing Devil is probably still bad, but man, I'd be cool to see it work well
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Lightning Skelemental comes to mind, it's a double discard along with 6/1 hasty/trample beats. The RR will be fairly challenging to cast him, though. Easier than Ball Lightning, but not by much. However, if you're committed to a workable red splash mana-base then Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger looks really strong.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

My dip of choice is green. Sideboard decay/choke and main board goyf. Synergizes well with regisaur/lilli filling the gy.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

This guy tried to cheat me. he said with Lurrus out, all my cards are 2 mana cost and my lightning skelemental cannot be cast becaues its a 3 cmc.

I said where is it in the rule that says i cannot have a 3 cmc in my deck. It just says i can cast things that are 2 cmc from GY, which means its EVERYTHING.

Feb 2020
    Madison, WI

This guy tried to cheat me. he said with Lurrus out, all my cards are 2 mana cost and my lightning skelemental cannot be cast becaues its a 3 cmc.

I said where is it in the rule that says i cannot have a 3 cmc in my deck. It just says i can cast things that are 2 cmc from GY, which means its EVERYTHING.
    Were you playing Lurrus as your companion? If so, your opponent was correct. You cannot play Lightning Skelemental and use Lurrus as a companion/you cannot cast him from your sideboard.

If Lurrus was in your maindeck, and not cast from your sideboard, you're correct: you can play Lightning Skelemental and Lurrus at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    He doesn’t have wasteland this turn, but he finds it the next. And wastes my Maze. I do get 1 zombie, but apparently stealing a zombie is just an act of petty theft? Seems like kind of a big theft to me since it stole the whole game... I die.

Thread Information