Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2047

Thread: [Deck] The Gate

Re: [Deck] The Gate

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
    That sounds like bad trades in your near future ;)
    Ok, i'm not sure I caught the understatement here that's the issue with not being a native..

Hello Gatekeepers,

I recently took the following list to a 4-0 finish at my LGS:

Cursed Gate

4-Mishra's Factory
    20-Swamp

3-Cursed Scroll

4-Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4-Vampire Nighthawk
    3-Abyssal Persecutor

4-Bitterblossom
    4-Liliana of the Veil

2-Umezawa's Jitte

4-Innocent Blood

4-Thoughtseize
    4-Cabal Therapy

SB (put together in haste. Likely not ideal):

3-Pithing Needle
    4-Leyline of the Void
    4-Marsh Casualties
    4-Wasteland

Round 1 (U/R Treasure Cruise Delver):
    G1: He wins the roll and starts off with a turn 1 Delver of Secrets. I cast discard for a couple turns (nabbing two Treasure Cruises with a Cabal Therapy), then land a kicked Gatekeeper to remove the flying insect. Percy shows up soon after and wins it for me while I'm at two life.

G2: (no sb) I take a hard early beating from a Delver and Monastery Swiftspear. A couple Innocent Bloods and a Liliana allow me to stabilize and get back into the game. We trade creatures for a while, until he casts Treasure Cruise and goes back ahead. Despite this, I'm almost able to pull it off with a Jitte-equipped Vampire Nighthawk, but he brainstorms into enough burn to get there.

G3: (no sb): Early Innocent Bloods and discard followed by Liliana and an active Cursed Scroll put me in a solid position. He comes pretty close to getting back into it with A Treasure Cruise and some burn spells, but scroll and a few Bitterblossom fairies get there for me.

Round 2 (Elves):
    G1: I win the dice roll, and start off with Thoughtseize removing his Glimpse of Nature. He puts a respectable number of elves on the board, but I'm able to handle them with faeries, a Cursed Scroll, and a Nighthawk. They eventually get there for me before he's able to find anything.

G2: (sb out: 4-Thoughtseize. In: 4-Marsh Casualties)
    He gets an early horde into play that I'm able to drastically reduce with an unkicked Marsh Casualties. A couple kicked Gatekeepers and later a Cursed Scroll keep things from getting out of hand, and eventually win it for me.

Round 3 (Miracles):
    G1: I win the roll. Things start off with a Thoughtseize and an unkicked Gatekeeper, while he assembles CounterTop. The Gatekeeper is soon Terminus'd, but he is unable to deal with the two Mishra's Factories I draw, and eventually they get there.

G2: (sb out: 3-Cursed Scroll. In: 3-Pithing Needle)
    Similar to above, except that I don't see my Factories or Needles. I somehow get a Vampire Nighthawk through his CounterTop, which goes some distance before being met by a squadron of Angels. These same Angels (minus one) finish me off.

G3: I start off with Cabal Therapy taking 2x Force of Will, then Needle naming Sensei's Divining Top. Then Liliana and Percy show up to seal the deal.

Round 4 (Esper Stoneblade)
    G1: He wins the roll. We both mull to six, keeping marginal hands. He starts off by Thoughtseizing away my Liliana, and following up with a Stoneforge Mystic for Umezawa's Jitte. I use Cabal Therapy to name Jitte, see that he also has Batterskull in hand, and then use my freshly drawn Innocent Blood to remove the Mystic. We play Draw-Go for a few turns. Eventually he gets a Lingering Souls while I land a Bitterblossom, and our respective tokens fight it out. He lands Batterskull. I draw and cast Vampire Nighthawk. He Swords to Plowshares' the Nighthawk and swings for a couple turns with Batterskull until I'm able to stop it with another Innocent Blood (removing a spirit token) and kicked Gatekeeper (also soon plowed). He gets more Lingering Souls to battle my faeries, and recasts the Batterskull. I land another Nighthawk, and then a Cursed Scroll. Scroll keeps his spirits down, while Nighthawk stems my Bitterblossom lifeloss, but his active Batterskull (being blocked by a faerie each turn) plus more Lingering Souls tokens keeps us at an effective stalemate. I finally get there after scroll is able to dispatch his spirit tokens. Long game!

G2: (sb out: 1-Abyssal Persecutor, 1-Liliana of the Veil)
    We start out with a flurry of discard on both sides (him with Thoughtseize plus Snapcaster Mage, me with Thoughtseize followed by Cabal Therapy), and both our hands are soon gone. I recover faster with a Mishra's Factory and Percy, and soon get there.

Overall thoughts and impressions:
    -In (albeit brief) testing so far, I have found Dark Confidant to be somewhat lackluster. I ended up putting Cursed Scroll in it's place, and it's been fantastic! It gives the deck more board control redundancy, and often makes up for the inherent lack of consistency that these types on non-blue midrange/control decks sometimes have. In some ways it's comparable to Punishing Fires in Jund lists. This proved vital in several matches above, and has often won me games that Dark Confidant would not have.

-Four Bitterblossoms have so far worked well, for the same redundancy reasons listed above.
    Three might still be correct though.

-I never used or wanted the Wastelands in the sideboard. They will likely be removed for something else (not sure what just yet). Hymn to Tourach is a possibility for an extra tool against combo and control.

-I'm not completely sold on the Marsh Casualties in the sideboard either. Though they often perform well, there are also times when -1/-1 isn't enough, and the kicker is often prohibitive. Perhaps they might be replaced by Drown in Sorrow/Ratchet Bomb/?

-Not sure if this deck's good performance so far is due to the surprise factor (or just plain good luck) or not, but perhaps something like this could be a contender in the current Delver-meta?

Thoughts?

Robert, nice performance. Would you ever consider either Black Sun's Zenith or Toxic Deluge?

I hadn't considered Black Sun's Zenith, but I did test Toxic Deluge a bit. Both are possibilities, and may actually be better than Marsh Casualties.
    However, in my testing I have found the 3cc to be an issue against decks like Elves (as you don't have any mana acceleration, and they can often combo off/execute their gameplan before you can effectively use it). This is largely why I went with the Marsh Casualties.
    That being said, perhaps a revamped sideboard to include a few 1cc targeted removal (maybe Disfigure or Dismember) to suppliment Innocent Blood might do the trick, and make Toxic Deluge/BSZ a better option.

I play with a pox is quite long but definitely tired of the deck .
    I want to continue with a more straightforward deck . So I chose The Gate .
    I plan on using this list:

3 Abyssal Persecutor
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4 Vampire Nighthawk

4 Mishra's Factory
    17 Swamp

3 Bitterblossom
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Cursed Scroll
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

cant play as much as he wants

Jun 2010

Given the many URx Delver lists and the success of Burn => is Liliana really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by sporenfrosch1411 View Post
    Given the many URx Delver lists and the success of Burn => is Liliana really worth it?
    Good point about Liliana of the veil, one other idea is that Phyrexian Obliterator might be the big monster of choice with all the burn around, however he is vulnerable to dismember.

How are folks doing with the gate - anyone playing it currently? It seems to be fairly decent against the delver decks, as we run so much board control and they have relatively few threats. Hollywood you had mentioned picking the deck back up - did you ever have a chance to work on it?

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

Here is the list we're playing with in the current meta:

The Gate 3.0
    By: The Dojo

Creatures [15]
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4 Phyrexian Obliterator
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Planeswalkers [4]
    4 Liliana, of the Veil

Enchantments [4]
    4 Phyrexian Arena

Instants [7]
    4 Malicious Affliction
    3 Hero's Downfall
    1 Disfigure

Sorcerys [6]
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Inquisition of Koziliek
    1 Marsh Cadualties

Lands [23]
    2 Bojuka Bog
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Mishra's Factory
    13 Swamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Sep 2004
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by ceustice View Post
    Here is the list we're playing with in the current meta:

The Gate 3.0
    By: The Dojo

Creatures [15]
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4 Phyrexian Obliterator
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Planeswalkers [4]
    4 Liliana, of the Veil

Enchantments [4]
    4 Phyrexian Arena

Instants [7]
    4 Malicious Affliction
    3 Hero's Downfall
    1 Disfigure

Sorcerys [6]
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Inquisition of Koziliek
    1 Marsh Cadualties

Lands [23]
    2 Bojuka Bog
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Mishra's Factory
    13 Swamp

I really like your list as it's close to what I play, Malicious Affliction is a pretty solid addition. Have you thought/ tested adding 1 or 2 nykthos, shrine to nyx? It could provide a good boost to windmill slam 2-3 threats in a turn and steal some games.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by B is for Big Job View Post
    I really like your list as it's close to what I play, Malicious Affliction is a pretty solid addition. Have you thought/ tested adding 1 or 2 nykthos, shrine to nyx? It could provide a good boost to windmill slam 2-3 threats in a turn and steal some games.
    I have I just haven't had a chance to test it yet, I'm also not sure if it is better than Cabal Coffers. In just theory crafting Coffers seems better.

Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Someone tried to splash white ? How did you ?
    Can anyone help me with my list ? I plan on making my first test as follows:

2 Abyssal Persecutor
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Vampire Nighthawk

3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    4 Swamp
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

1 Batterskull
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Innocent Blood
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vindicate

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Robert the Bruce View Post
    I hadn't considered Black Sun's Zenith, but I did test Toxic Deluge a bit. Both are possibilities, and may actually be better than Marsh Casualties.
    However, in my testing I have found the 3cc to be an issue against decks like Elves (as you don't have any mana acceleration, and they can often combo off/execute their gameplan before you can effectively use it). This is largely why I went with the Marsh Casualties.
    That being said, perhaps a revamped sideboard to include a few 1cc targeted removal (maybe Disfigure or Dismember) to suppliment Innocent Blood might do the trick, and make Toxic Deluge/BSZ a better option.
    Darkblast seems good.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Do you guys think that with the banning of TC this deck might be a little better positioned right now?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by pullanc View Post
    Do you guys think that with the banning of TC this deck might be a little better positioned right now?
    I would only take this deck if your meta was overrun with Delver and maybe Death and Taxes. It struggles against fast combo and midrange blue decks that have strong card-advantage engines (Blade, Shardless, etc.).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Shouldn't Hero's Downfall be added in every The Gate deck around? Card's insane powerful.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the cost wrong. skip my comment pls xD
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    Shouldn't Hero's Downfall be added in every The Gate deck around? Card's insane powerful.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the cost wrong. skip my comment pls xD
    Well... Ok then... *Puts down the pitchfork*

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I would only take this deck if your meta was overrun with Delver and maybe Death and Taxes. It struggles against fast combo and midrange blue decks that have strong card-advantage engines (Blade, Shardless, etc.).
    Speaking of those midrange blue decks with card advantage, how would you recommend playing against them with this deck? Any tips? I played one deck with shardless/bloodbraid/ancestral vision and could not keep up against the card advantage. Normal RUG delver was much easier.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by olwe View Post
    Speaking of those midrange blue decks with card advantage, how would you recommend playing against them with this deck? Any tips? I played one deck with shardless/bloodbraid/ancestral vision and could not keep up against the card advantage. Normal RUG delver was much easier.
    Against midrange decks with Abrupt Decay/Lightning Bolt/Punishing Fire, I value Phyrexian Obliterator and Abyssal Persecutor, as well as giving it company, for edicts. Against the ones without red removal, like Blade and Shardless, I like Stillmoon Cavalier from the sideboard, which helps against Swords to Plowshares/Maelstrom Pulse/Abrupt Decay/germ tokens/Tombstalker/Delver/Vindicate, and should blank them unless they have Council's Judgment.

Edit: I don't have experience against it so take this with a grain of salt, but if you were playing against RUG Cascade without Decay, I still like Phyrexian Obliterator as a near-impervious threat that also holds off their ground-pounders, as well as Abyssal Persecutor. I'm sure, like Shardless BUG, they have quick games in which they power out creatures, but their slower clock compared to Thresh, and less relevant removal, makes me think that landing Bitterblossom and Umezawa's Jitte would be big on keeping up on card advantage. Chains of Mephistopheles from the sideboard couldn't hurt. Apart from the blocking ability of Obliterator/Bitterblossom and the quasi-removal of Jitte, a lot of the strength of these cards in the match-up are dependent on not being behind on board. I've seen people board in Toxic Deluge against things like Jund to address that but I can't speak to its effectiveness. I'd also have to think more about what to board out against RUG Cascade. On the shortlist, I'd have Hymn because of the likelihood of topdecking it in a grindfest, Liliana because of their number of threats and the specter of discarding cards against an attrition deck, and maybe even Confidant.
    Last edited by Scott; 05-03-2015 at 04:40 PM.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

The Gate with a light green splash did well at the most recent legacy classic:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Vampire Nighthawk

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Geth's Verdict
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

2 Polluted Delta
    8 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Wasteland
    2 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard
    3 Engineered Plague
    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Trinisphere

Has anyone tested maindeck chalice for combo matchups?

I'm thinking:

4 Asylum Visitor
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    3 Abyssal Persecutor
    1 Gatekeeper of Malakir

3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Bitterblossom
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Innocent Blood