Thread: Friendly Legacy Tournament at a Los Angeles pet shelter.

Friendly Legacy Tournament at a Los Angeles pet shelter.

Pet Orphans of Southern California is holding their first ever Legacy tournament. Come help us make it awesome!

Event Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010
    Starting Time: 3:00 PM
    Location: Pet Orphans of Southern California, 7720 Gloria Avenue, Van Nuys, CA 91406
    Format: Legacy (unsanctioned)

As stated before, this is the first Magic tournament Pet Orphans has held, and we're still learning. Still, we've got various rare cards and other items as prizes. Free food and drink will be provided, and players will get a chance to meet some of our loving animals. We will also have a place for open gaming.

To register or ask for more information, call Laura Zepeda at 818.901.0190 or email her at laura@petorphans.org.

http://petorphans.org/legacy_fundraiser.shtml

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Re: Friendly Legacy Tournament at a Los Angeles pet shelter.

Is there going to be an entry fee for the tournament?

Any specifics on what cards are for prizes?

Do you guys have parking available?
    info.ninja

Ack! I can't believe I missed that one. The entry fee is $15 for a preorder, $20 at the door. Street parking is available and usually rather plentiful.

As for prizes, we have several bundles of foil cards, (such as Beacon of Tomorrows and Akroma, Angel of Wrath) as well as sealed booster packs, and possibly single rare cards (like Wooded Foothills) and certificates. Winners will be able to choose from a prize pool, and there will be random prizes raffled, as well.
    Last edited by Morphius; 03-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Oh my god. I almost wanna be the dick that starts the pre-tournament trash talking in the thread about a casual legacy tournament in a pet shelter.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Does the winner get a puppy?

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

I want a puppy! Anyway, I'll be there.

When you say "Wooded Hills" do you mean Wooded Foothills? And a foil one at that?

Edit (so I don't make another post): If anyone gets a puppy they have to name it Isamaru!

Mar 2010
    Chino Hills, California

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Does the winner get a puppy?
    . . . . . maybe a jackal pup...

I've edited my previous post; I did indeed mean Wooded Foothills (though not a foil one), and apparently, the "foot" didn't show up. Weird. Oh, well.

It WOULD be awesome if the winner got a free puppy, but alas, no luck! :( Still, if you're interested in learning more about us and/or just petting the animals, that'll be available as well.

Also, it should be stressed that this is our FIRST tournament, so afterwards (or maybe even during), we'll take suggestions for next time in order to be more awesome. Because they're not used to stuff like this (which is understandable), they jumped the gun on a few of the prizes (though I'm making sure we get even more, and the ones I wanted), so while we also have cards, we'll probably be giving away some pretty cool unrelated stuff, too.

I heard somebody tossing around the idea for a big screen TV. Don't hold your breath, but I'm trying. If worst comes to worst, the winner'll still get a prize worth at least $50, and I'm shooting for more. Also, the more people who enter, the more prizes we'll give out, and the bigger it'll be next time. And the bigger the chance we can get that big screen TV on the prize list next time.

Your life total: 4, My life total: 20
    Jul 2008

This pet shelter tournament is awesome. Your next one should be on a volcano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The first time I heard of the site, I went to www.thesource.com and was greeted with a full-page picture of some thug pointing a gun at me. I immediately realised that Legacy was the most hardcore format ever.

Apr 2006
    Bay Area and Orange County

man would love to go. Too bad im out of towm :(. Goodluck with the event!
    Survival of the Fittest - 'natural selection', or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.

This just in! One of the prizes in the prize pool will be a free adoption of a dog or a cat: a $200 value. As long as the winner meets the other prerequisites (good pet history, appropriate home, etc.), we will waive the adoption fee. As an added bonus, if you name the dog Isamaru, we'll give you the matching card!

How's that, guys? You ask, you get. :-)

Oh, also...I hadn't originally thought about allowing proxies, but since this is a casual tournament, what do you guys think?

Well, I suppose allowing proxies at this point would just confuse things, so let's go with no proxies. It's a friendly game, but I don't want things to get out of hand. So, no proxies.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

Any more information about prizes? I'd love the dog but I already have two and can't picture fitting a third into my residence.

Also, about how many people are you expecting today (if you could give even a rough estimate)?

2 Questions:
    1) Did you google up Isamaru before you found out it was actually a cream-coated Siberian husky?
    2) Does the venue smell anything like a petting zoo? If both answers are yes, then good luck with it.

Hopefully next time, you announce it 3 weeks early and be accurate on what is at stake, i.e. prize pool.
    I wanted to support the cause but everything just sounded vague. Also, if the games would start early.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

Agreed... the vagueness of it puts me off. I don't want to drop $15 to $20 on an unsanctioned tournament where I don't know what's at stake (other than a puppy that I can't house, a Wooded Foothills, and a stack of random foils). I'd otherwise love to support the cause of helping out homeless animals.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by sclabman View Post
    Agreed... the vagueness of it puts me off. I don't want to drop $15 to $20 on an unsanctioned tournament where I don't know what's at stake (other than a puppy that I can't house, a Wooded Foothills, and a stack of random foils). I'd otherwise love to support the cause of helping out homeless animals.
    Looks like you would love the idea of a sanctioned tournament with good prizes, supporting the cause of homeless animals or not.
    "Want all, lose all."

Thread Information