Jan 2007
    Birmingham, AL

MTG Sleeves

What brand of sleeves do people use? Whats the most durable? etc

2nd Best Explorer in Magic
    Jun 2008
    Madison, WI

Re: MTG Sleeves

I use black dragon shields and have found them to be very durable. I have like a 1000 of them and some of them are 4 years old and still are playable locally. I would resleeve for a big tournament though. My roommate uses KMCs and he has never had a problem with them either, but every time I use those sleeves I seem to split one or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Fetches are boring. When someone suddenly gets money, they don't invest it in something practical; they spend it on something lavish like a prostitute/PEZ dispenser.
    A founding member of Team Bluff the Lotus - Bringing the crazy from Bob's Baseball Dugout

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

For just general play I use Silver Dragon shields. For competitive play I use Gold Dragon Shields. Something about the color of gold against a blue play-mat makes me play better. I think it has something to do with the clarity. Also with the ammount of mws play I have been doing it really focus's things down like im playing online so things like stress don't get involved. I believe while its cool to have a pimped out mat and sleeves with half naked chicks, its the focus that those things bring you that inevitably helps you win more matches, especially when you and your opponent are in difficult positions battles.

That may make little sense to any of you guys, but to me it helps!

Jun 2008
    Central NY

If you can find old Dragonshields (several years...) get those, my old ones have held up wonderfully and were all pretty much perfect. Lately I have been very disappointed with my last few Dragonshield packs. Roughly 25% of the sleeves were mis-cut to be to either to short or to long, or had other defects that made them unusable.

Similarly Ultra-pro's I've had problems with about 10-15% of them being mis-cut or having warped clear fronts right out of the package. You get a higher % of usable sleeves, but they're not as durable as the Dragonshields.

KMCs all seem fine out of the package, but they get a worn feel pretty quickly in comparison (3-4 events).

Although this is just my experience, since Dragonshield started letting me down I haven't found a suitable replacement yet D:.

EDIT: +1 on the Gold Sleeves w/a Blue Playmat, I ran that for a long time and liked it a lot :D. But I just moved to a new mostly white playmat with the "MTG Back" sleeves. Just needed to change it up.

I've used the KMC black sleeves for a long time and have never been let down. They last a really long time and I've never split one. The KMC pearl white sleeves, however, are awful. I used them at only 3 tournaments and already split over 10 of them.

Dragon Shields seem sturdy to me, but I don't like the way they feel. Same with Ultra Pros. KMCs just feel the best to me.

Sep 2004
    connecticut

I generally use my old shine blue sleeves (they're on about half my decks) and some awesome green ones I got a few years back (dont remember brand, I think KMC). I believe that my shine blues have lasted 7-ish years now. They're not pristine and I wouldnt use them in a real tournament (fnm-level sure, ptq-level no), but they are in pretty good condition. The green ones are great though, easily the best I've used besides shine blues.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

Sleeving Tarmogoyf and Tombstalker into pink Dragonshields is amazing!

Anyway, those Dragonshields really disappointed me. I bought three packs and the sleeves from each pack had a different size. I never had that with KMC. Right now all my decks are sleeved in KMCs Pearl White Sleeves and I´m really happy with them...

I have a set of either Dragonshields or KMC's that were damaged after one tournament of playing Dragon Stompy.

Now I use the opposite brand, which has lasted more than one tournament of Ichorid.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Dragon Shields. I like the way the corners shuffle more than other brands, because they last. New ones have been worse tho.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Dragon Shields are nice but they seem to get dirty quickly, and I don't like having to keep buying new ones. KMC black matte are equally good, but they don't seem to get as dirty as quickly.

I've just been using Ultrapro, largely because it's the brand my LGS carries. Since I end up with extra sleeves, it isn't that huge of an issue if a sleeve breaks. I have had a few sleeves break or get mis-shapen from shuffling though, so I can't really say that they're incredibly durable. Over all, they're not too expensive and work just fine.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I use KMC. Dragon Shields make my cards warp as though they are foils, and every pack of Ultra Pro sleeves I've bought within the last two years has been inside-out (the matte texture side has been inside the sleeve), leaving the majority of the sleeves unplayable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Banned

Feb 2010
    brasil

the old original 100ct yanonman copper sleeves.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Yanoman Gunmetals, Ultra pro sleeves with the Magic back, or anything black with a matte finish. That's generally what I stick to.
    awesome

Vincent
    Dec 2008
    Montreal

I personally use Ultra-pro.
    IN tournaments, my hands get sweath and dragon shields tend to stick together and it starts being pretty hard shuffling.
    -Team Laval !-

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

KMC. Yanoman Gunmetal were the best, but I they've gone out of business or something equally bad.

Edit - These puppies: http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/yan94918.html

And KMC: http://www.kmcsleeves.com/

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

So for KMC, would you suggest Matte or Super? I started seeing these at my local store but haven't bought any since I have a stockpile of Ultra-Pros, but I'm finding that Ultra-Pros can be really shitty sometimes and I wanted to pick up a new pack of sleeves for Columbus.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I like matte because they're not as shiny.

Good against CMC 2
    Sep 2009
    San Antonio

I use ultra pro, and I wouldn't recommend them. The corners have a tendency to bend and the sides are uneven sleeve to sleeve, so it can look like cards are marked. They also get dirty quickly.
    "If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him.
    If he is in superior strength, evade him.
    If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him.
    Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
    If his forces are united, separate them.
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

-Sun Tzu

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    KMC. Yanoman Gunmetal were the best, but I they've gone out of business or something equally bad.

Edit - These puppies: http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/yan94918.html
    I bought a couple thousand about 7 years ago. They are the best!

Thread Information