Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: MTG Sleeves

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

Re: MTG Sleeves

I've been using mainly KMC and some Dragonshield lately and i've never had problems with them.
    My ultra-pro's randomly die on me while playing an afternoon of casual magic, always need to keep 5-10 spares on me because they just split on all sides while shuffling :(

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    What deck boxes can hold 75 double-sleeved cards?

I use Dragon Shields and KMC Perfect Sizes and since my ion deck box has started to fall apart I need a replacement. The boxes below are the only ones I have seen so far that I like the looks of. Are they any good? Can they hold 75 double-sleeved cards?

Well, the blue mana symbol with the magnetic close top has had some really good reviews and I am going to buy a bunch of them. one for each 5 colors and 5 gold ones cuz I seen they have gold ones now and I will use the gold ones for my all rare/mystic rare specialty decks.

KMC's Mats all the way. What matters to me mostly is that they are durable and easy to shuffle and I hope they do make newer colors cuz I would like to be color coordinated but what matters most is protecting the cards and how well they shuffle and if they slide around or not.

-Ultra Pros split to easily and are sometimes miscut and now they come in 50 ct and the colors are sometimes in different shades.
    -Dragon shields are durable but are miscut and warp cards because they are curved from not being packaged well. They just stick loose sleeves in a deck box.
    -KMC mats are great so far and I noticed the brown ones have more texture than black.
    -KMC supers I have not used but hear good things with the exception that they stick alittle and basically are simuliar to DS's.
    -Players choice is KMC's off brand I heard, not quite sure though. But fairly good, def better than ultra pro, hell, anything is better than ultra pros.

If Dragon Shields made some minor changes, such as, stop the miscuts and packaged the sleeves to stop the curving(which warps cards) then they would be really good sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I'm surprised you have this issue. Personally, I've been using ultra pro's for years--maybe I just wash my hands or something a lot but I've never had dirty sleeves (of anything). I notice a lot of other people do though, I'm under the impression it's because they sweat a lot when they play and the residue sticks to the sleeves.

Ultra pro's are greatly superior to KMC's in terms of playability. I bought the KMC super's and for one, it's hard as shit to get cards in and out of the things and two their edges are painfully sharp and at a certain point the sleeves just start sticking together.

I've never had ultra pro's stick, I've never had ultra pros that several years down the line don't feel like they were the day I bought them. I strictly purchase ultra pro's after trying KMC's first (and then tried them again about a year ago and had the -exact- same problem).

Dragon Shield's have pretty much the same problem for me. A friend bought them, who had previously only used KMC's, and liked them at first, but after about 6 months (with minimal play) you could see that the things just attract anything and everything to stick to them. They're harder to shuffle with and draw cards from.. He wanted to buy new sleeves for everything, purchased 3 packs of ultra pro's, and couldn't stop commenting all night about how much better they are / easier to shuffle / easier to use / cleaner looking they all are.

The only remote "issue" I've had with Ultra Pro's was a set of white ones that I purchased in which several of the sleeves, seemingly at random, are a different shade of white than the others. This is not an issue with my yellow, orange, blue, green, red, other red, or other blue ultra pro's. In that sense, if I can purchase 8 packs of 100 sleeves and 1 of them has an almost unnoticeable issue, that seems completely fine.

My roommate's brother also has about 1000 ultra pro sleeves from 10-12 years ago, only like one set of them aren't usable anymore?

Personally, if I were to even recommend sleeves to someone, I would tell them to go with ultra pro's. They shuffle, play, and feel so amazing in your hands. Other sleeves feel like they're strictly designed to protect the cards--which is kind of silly, if you sleeve your cards in general they're protected from the general wear and tear of playing..which makes them so thick and the edges so sharp that it hurts to even hold the damn things sometimes. You need to be incredibly rough with them to shuffle them because they're so damn sticky. Some of these people's decks look like a brick, like if you applied some force to the side of it, the whole thing would roll over instead of the cards just sliding like they should, it's really gross.

So you get these sleeves that are super thick and hard to shuffle with that are more protective from..I don't know, maybe someone randomly trying to take a knife to the thing? And then you have people bridge shuffling and bending the shit out of their $2,000 deck. It's -so- painful to watch these people with hard core 3 color control decks and you can visibly see from across the table their Underground Sea's and Tundra's curling from how terribly they treat them.

KMC mats are far better than Ultra Pro. However, if you are not rough while shuffling and wash your hands Ultra Pros are ok for a while. But If you treat KMC mats the same way they will last longer. I do not like any glossy sleeves. I use only mats and I would only suggest KMC's from my own experience and from the extensive research and videos I watched on card sleeves. Dragon Shields stick,get dirty,warp cards,and the gloss peels off. Ultra Pros split way to easily and I do not shuffle hard. KMC mats last a long long time.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I use Perfect Fit sleeves, then MAX Protection Sleeves - Dragon Booty -. The black leather box was too cool top be without (and real value for money at 20$)
    Thats it. When anything wear out I replace it.
    Still quality of sleeves is very good today.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

I was about to make a new thread until I saw this one.

I was wondering if I can get some help about sleeves, as I have a bunch of valuable cards in my decks I really want to protect. I am having some problems with double sleeving. I use the KMC specialty sleeves perfect size, and using the KMC Matte black sleeves, to put it into. I had a deck before that would fit in just fine, but some reason this just wont go in. It's much more difficult to do so than before, like when I try to put the perfect sleeved one, a third of the way in, the perfect git sleeves will be sicking out far while the card itself is push in.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    I was about to make a new thread until I saw this one.

I was wondering if I can get some help about sleeves, as I have a bunch of valuable cards in my decks I really want to protect. I am having some problems with double sleeving. I use the KMC specialty sleeves perfect size, and using the KMC Matte black sleeves, to put it into. I had a deck before that would fit in just fine, but some reason this just wont go in. It's much more difficult to do so than before, like when I try to put the perfect sleeved one, a third of the way in, the perfect git sleeves will be sicking out far while the card itself is push in.
    This happens a lot with new sleeves because they haven't had time to stretch out. There is a REALLY easy way to get around this issue though. Take a junk card, like a basic land or something, and put it in front of the perfect fitted card (outside of the perfect fit obviously). Then, push both of the cards into the other sleeve, keeping them even so they both go fully into the sleeve. From there, you should be able to just pull out the junk card from the sleeve, and your card should be double sleeved without any issues!

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

So, i was looking around at SCG's store and noticed these Legion Sleeves. Specifically these:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardd...product=426399
    http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardd...product=392193

Anyone know if these are of good quality? (Like KMC like good?)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post
    So, i was looking around at SCG's store and noticed these Legion Sleeves. Specifically these:

No, these are relatively the same quality as the SCG printed sleeves. They are at about the same or worse level as the UltraPro printed glossy sleeves. These will tend to peel back and split.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Sep 2011
    Middle of Somewhere, Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post

Yeah, not even close to KMC good. The SCG free sleeves split pretty easily.

And lets be serious. SCG isn't going to be giving away top quality sleeves fo' free.
    "The last top 8 slot went to the winner of that Death and Taxes mirror, or as I like to call it, the White Supremacy Mirror.
    "Swiggety Swagtusk, Here comes the Thragtusk!"

In response to "What's the best replacement for Force of Will?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Modern

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

Shame, i really liked the art on those. Sticking to my KMC's then :D

Thread Information