Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Sleeves

Re: MTG Sleeves

I have a couple of old (3-4 years I suppose) purple-colored Dragonshields at home. I use Perfect Size and those Dragonshields. This combination seems to be made for each other. It's too bad Dragonshields quality decreased.

Also tried out KMC orange and matte blue. The orange ones usually split every second game. The matte ones are OK but not too easy to shuffle.

So I think I will stick to my purple Dragonshields. I would not recommend buying white ones though, because they do not last too long.

A friend of mine uses KMC matte black and perfect size. He is pretty satisfied with them but always wonders why those purple Dragonshields shuffle that good

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I've heard something about doubling up on KMC sleeves, like putting matte's in supers or something like that. Figured this would be the place for clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Just bored.
    Feb 2006
    San Jose

The doubling up of sleeves is best done with the KMC perfect fits inside of almost anything else. I prefer KMC perfect fit inside of Dragon shields for my vintage deck. The only downside is finding a deck box big enough as it makes your deck about 20-30% thicker.
    I collect German and miscut cards. Please PM if you have.

I find that the Dragon Shield deckboxes are big enough, at least for a double-sleeved 60 card deck and SB. I've currently got a 105 card Highlander (normal sleeved though) and there's still more than a centimeter of space. They're also made from hard plastic, so they shouldn't break immediately.

KMC black Matte + KMC perfect size for all my decks
    hard to shuffle but last long Larg deck though ... Needs 1 box for deck and 1 for the side

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I have a set of red Ultra Pros that I bought in 1999 that are still going strong. They're too nicked up to use for a GP or anything, but they're still good for FNM and other local fare.

Remember when buying shiny sleeves that silver and gold are not allowed in formal tournaments for fear that one can cheat using their reflective surfaces; I don't know if that's an issue with other gloss sleeves, but I stick with matte just to be safe.

On a lighter note, decorative sleeves are always fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

KMC Matte Dark Blue by far the best quality. They are better than the KMC Matte Black by quite a margin.
    After that I prefer the Dragon shields Pink and then Dragon shields Black and Gold.

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

Kmc Matte Blue. Use it quite some time now and was never dissatisfied with them. I don't use Perfect Size anymore, I hate shuffling big decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Well you can expect whatever you want but you'd only expect what you said if you were retarded.

Banned

Aug 2009
    Pootown

KMC Matte Black.

I tried some Dragon Shields about a year ago and didn't have issues with breakage, but they come out of the box with all the corners warped down, which makes them tougher to shuffle and causes corners to get bent. They also felt like they were cut bigger than the KMCs, and just seemed a bit loose and clunky. Worst of all, after one small tournament they were so scuffed up that you could tell the difference between my deck and sideboard from across the room. Matte finish is way better because the difference between heavily played sleeves and newer ones isn't as huge, so you don't have to worry about re-sleeving the entire deck if just one breaks.

KMC Matte sleeves don't seem to shuffle as nicely as KMC Super sleeves do. I have had less splits with supers. That being said, they are shiny.

I did get a box of Ultra Pro sleeves at a shop once that are plain matte white. They shuffle brilliantly. I find that strange, as Ultra Pro are usually crap.

Max Protect 'tournament sleeves' are a joke.
    Hill Giant means business.

KMC are crap like never, I destroyed ten of them in fourteen days, they don't glide.
    Anything else is crap nonetheless, the only sleeves I somehow like are UltraPro Textured Granite... not that they has same backs all the time, of course. Because, you know... it's a rocket science to make sleeves and we don't live in 21 century.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

I desperately tried to find sleeves that work best for me over the last few months.
    Trying: Dragon Shields (all except the brown ones), UltraPro whites, black, blue and yellow, KMC (all matte ) Black, Blue and Red.
    The red and black KMC's tend to get that dirty look fast and the red ones especially are getting ripped faster than other KMC's.
    Blue work fine, are good to shuffle and stay clean for awhile.

UltraPro white, black and blue get dirty fast and the corners are bending too strong, although they stay clean longer than the KMCs.
    Yellows are actually great. The shuffling meter says mediocre, but the sleeves don't rip and stay quite clean. (I use those for a foil dredgedeck)

Dragon Shields are great but as some said the quality is degenerating. The pink shields bhought a year or so ago go still strong. Shuffling is A+ but they got some unclean look (although they don't look dirty or something). I use those for various decks and am very satisfied with those. Gold Dragon shields don't work for me as sleeves from 3 out of 3 boxes I bhought are all miscut and vary in length :(
    The other ones are mediocre in all other categories and therefore are solid sleeves.

In short: Usually Pink Dragons and Yellow Ultra Pros for my dredgedeck.
    Team Legal Actions.

If you want to buy sleeves in bulk to standardize on one type, I recommend UltraPro Raven Black, or if you want color, the ziplock UltraPros, which come in blue/green/gray/etc.

Raven Black is very sturdy, shuffles well, and doesn't show wear much. The quality seems to be more consistent than the average UltraPros, though you will still get occasional packs with bad cuts or off-color. The ziplock UltraPros that I've had have also been very consistent in quality, and they're quite inexpensive.

I recommend against other types of UltraPros, and I recommend against Dragon Shields.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I've tried Dragon Shields, KMC, Ultra Pro, and a few off brands and by far the best I have seen is the KMC's. I use the Super Blue now, but I have to admit the Green is actually better. I just don't like Green much. They last forever and it's rare to get ones that split on you. Some of mine are probably from sleeves first came out still.

KMC is the best, then I would choose Dragon Shields, then Ultra Pro. Most of the other brands tend to be pretty cheap crap. Get KMC perfit fits and then regular KMC sleeves for sleeving up stuff like power and beta duals. It makes them a little thicker, but definitely the best you are going to get.

Apr 2010
    Milwaukee WI

can i get a pack of protectors with a playing card back to them?

Nov 2009

I have been enjoying the ultrapro japanese line in green. A store near me carries them and I have those on a deck with perfect size underneath and the deck is thinner than trying that with KMC matte sleeves.
    I had like 10 packs of those and was using those exclusively but I may convert to these green sleeves.
    I also bought some of those Yanoman gunmetal sleeves and I found them to be only okay, but the deck divider that came with it is fantastic.
    Anyone who eats hot dogs with their mouth is doing it wrong, as far as I’m concerned.

Vincent
    Dec 2008
    Montreal

Does anyone who sweats a lot by his hands have found good sleeves for that matter ?
    I always need to buy new pack after 2-3 weeks because the plastic all stick together. I've found that dragonshields (well, at least Purple ones) are the worst for that problem and that ultrapro with matte texture are not too bad.
    -Team Laval !-

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Does anyone who sweats a lot by his hands have found good sleeves for that matter ?
    I always need to buy new pack after 2-3 weeks because the plastic all stick together. I've found that dragonshields (well, at least Purple ones) are the worst for that problem and that ultrapro with matte texture are not too bad.
    Ultra Pro Raven Blacks. They do not stick, they last fairly well, and they shuffle extremelly well even when you have sweaty hands. The only issue I have had with recent batches is that they are prone to splitting, and if you arent careful they can damage your cards (like my foil wasteland :().

Currently possessed
    Mar 2008
    Rosemont, IL

I used to use Ultra Pro and when I needed a new sleeve, I decided to try out Dragon Shields, and after a couple of months, I notice that the sleeves are in a much better condition. So I started using dragon shields the most, but I heard talks about KMC sleeves, it seems like theyre on par with Dragon Shields but the "MAT" sleeves just feels a lot nicer.

However, lately I am seeing ultra pro having some sleeves that's pretty similar to KMC, but I don't know anything about those. I also saw a new stuff called metal rose, I don't know anything about it either. Those that have tried it, let me know how they are. Though I kinda wish the metal rose, came with a black color (non-glossy) with a white/silver design lol.
    Always looking for more people to play in the Chicago area. Anyone interested send me a PM.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    I also saw a new stuff called metal rose, I don't know anything about it either. Those that have tried it, let me know how they are. Though I kinda wish the metal rose, came with a black color (non-glossy) with a white/silver design lol.
    The Metal Rose sleeves are made by KMC and are on par with the Supers. However, the blue ones are metallic and reflective, and you can very clearly see the reflection of your card faces on them, so I would steer clear of that color. The green ones and the yellow ones are fine though. I'm not sure if they make black or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Thread Information