Thread: [Format] Block Party

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[Format] Block Party

Ever wondered how Onslaught Goblins would do against Zendikar Vampires? How long would Faeries vs. Counter-Rebels match be? Could Replenish.dec outdo ProsBloom combo? Wonder no more!

Block Party is like a mix of Legacy and Block Constructed. It essentially lets you play past and present block constructed decks and pit them to each other. The basic deck construction is as follow:

- Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it must contain exactly fifteen cards.

- With the exception of basic land cards, a player’s combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card. All cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are basic. (The five Ice Age block snow-covered lands -- Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain, and Snow-Covered Forest -- are also basic lands. Note that snow-covered lands are permitted only in formats that allow expansions from the Ice Age block to be used.)

- There are two ways of dealing with the list of banned cards: One is ban the card if it was banned on the used format (example would be Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero will be banned because it was banned during Mercadia Block), which is the widespread rule or ban the card based on its legality in Legacy, which is the new suggested rule.

Anyone here ever tried this?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: [Format] Block Party

It definitely has been done before and there was an article for it. I have no clue how to find it. I think it was to find the best deck. It could have been for Standard though.

Anyway, the biggest flaw to me is banning a card, like Lin Sivvi for example, right away. What you are playing is something completely different than just Masques block and the meta would be quite different. Rebels was overpowering back then, in just Masques block, but when it goes up against Faeries, Goblins, etc it would be very different. So I would definitely go with the latter option.

Also, one of the biggest problems with Lin was that she was under the old legend rule and it was just brutal if your opponent got her onto the board before you did. Now you can just rebel up your own copy to shoot her in the face. It seems that the bans would probably need a bit of updating.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Sounds like a lot of fun. Let me rephrase that: the blocks that I've ever paid attention to (Tempest/Stronghold/Exodus and Urza's cycle) sound a lot of fun. Everything else sounds as boring as ever. =)

I agree as I have played also during the Rath Cycle/Urza Block, with the most broken cards ever. I returned to T2 during TS-X (Time Spiral-10th ed).

But I think the most powerful deck in a Block party would be U/B Teachings.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

U/B teachings from Time Spiral?

I would imagine Goblin Bidding or Affinity would be good (if we follow the Legacy banned list)

But then again, no one has ever tried actually building ProsBloom from Mirage block.

Also, I have yet to see Ice Age - Alliance - Coldsnap block decks. I would imagine that a really good control deck would come out of there, considering they both have Force of Will, Brainstorm and Counterbalance. Not to mention they have Snow-land/Scrying Sheet Engine.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information