Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Legacy Daily Event Complete

First Legacy Daily Event Complete

I'm transitioning this thread into Legacy Daily Event Discussion/Legacy MTGO Discussion. The results of the first three Legacy Daily Events are as follows:

DE #1: 26 players. 4-0: Dredge and Goblins. 3-1: Rock, Slide, Affinity, and Goblins.
    DE #2: 26 players. 4-0: Merfolk and Zoo. 3-1: Merfolk, Slide, NOBant, Zoo, and Goblins.
    DE #3: 31 players. 4-0: Merfolk and Zoo. 3-1: Goblins, Goblins, Zoo, NOBant, Imperial Painter, Death and Taxes, 8Ball, and CB/Top.
    DE #4: 21 players. 4-0: Zoo and Reanimator. 3-1: NOBant, Goblins, Goblins, and Goblins.
    DE #5: 27 players. 4-0: Dredge and Goblins. 3-1: Goblins, Zoo, Doomsday ANT, CB/Top, Goblins, Death and Taxes, and Zoo.
    DE #6: 24 players. 4-0: Goblins and Death and Taxes. 3-1: Merfolk, MBC, Bant Survival, Enchantress, and NOBant.
    DE #7: 33 players. 4-0: Enchantress and Goblins. 3-1: Merfolk, U/W Control, NOBant, Goblins, Goblins, Merfolk, Death and Taxes, Affinity, and Reanimator.

Totals:
    Goblins: 15 $ finishes.
    Zoo: 7 $ finishes.
    Merfolk: 6 $ finishes.
    NOBant: 5 $ finishes.
    Death and Taxes: 4 $ finishes.
    Several archetypes tied with 2 or less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original postiness below, preserved for posterity, mostly due to slide love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know feelings on this board are mixed regarding playing Legacy on MTGO, and all the cards aren't available, and Force of Will is prohibitively expensive. That said, this is still cool that the first event fired with 26 players. Two decks went 4-0: Dredge and Goblins. Five decks went 3-1: Rock, Slide, Affinity, and and Goblins.

I played the Slide list, facing Merfolk twice (once with 'Goyf, once without), Elf Combo, and Dream Halls w/Show and Tell/Progenitus.

I didn't really see any bugdet decisions in the decks I faced. All three blue decks ran Forces. And 26 players doesn't seem too bad considering this was the very first Online Legacy event ever. All replays can be seen on MTGO if you want to watch the games.

I think Legacy has a very good future online, but it will be restricted if WOTC doesn't do something to signal against hoarding, which is extremely doable given the limited number of many staple cards. On the other hand, I was able to put together my deck for roughly $450, most of which was the Mox Diamonds and duals.

Total blast to play, glad I was part of it.

Also, Slide, 3-1. Legitimate deck is legitimate.

Second Legacy Daily Event just finished.

26 total players again. Two 4-0 decks: Fishies and Zoo (although the Zoo deck split for its last match to get the 3 QPs). Five 3-1 decks: Fishies, Slide, NOCB Bant, Zoo, and Goblins.

Again, I played Slide, facing Belcher, Zoo, Bant Survival, and Enchantress. Lost to Belcher.

To address the completely silly debate over whether or not Slide is rock, I'd like to provide this link to an article I wrote a few years back (2005). It's titled Taking Another look at Slide (Rock) in Extended."

So if you're counting, thats two tournaments, two 3-1 finishes for Astral Slide. Start unpacking your Stabilizers now. Or, go ahead and jump into Online Legacy. Only five sets are missing at this point, the last two Urza blocks, and all of Masques. Pretty much everything else is online.

Seriously, out of two tournaments, we've got four different 4-0's (Goblins, Dredge, Merfolk, and Zoo) and a wide variety of 3-1s. Looks like the kind of wide-open, fun format pretty much anyone should be happy to join.

Legacy Tournament #3: 31 players. Two 4-0 decks: Zoo and Merfolk. Eight 3-1 decks: Goblins, Zoo, 8-ball Affinity, CB/Top, Death and Taxes, NOCB Bant, Imperial Painter, and Goblins.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 04-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Re: First Legacy Daily Event Complete

Don't call your deck slide when it is just a rock deck :) I mean, it's not, but it does a lot of the same stuff as the rock.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by walkerdog View Post
    Don't call your deck slide when it is just a rock deck :) I mean, it's not, but it does a lot of the same stuff as the rock.
    and you know what his deck is how? the deck lists for todays daily's won't be posted till next week unless I am terribly mistaken.

Feb 2007
    Rochester, NY

Does anyone know if you have to have a subscription to watch replays? Or would a free demo work?

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal_chan View Post
    Does anyone know if you have to have a subscription to watch replays? Or would a free demo work?
    yeah you need to purchase an account, which costs 9.99 USD. I just tried logging on to the free trial and everything but the casual "new player" room is locked in that set up of MTGO.
    Last edited by DalkonCledwin; 03-31-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

It is only legitimate cos you're piloting it.
    @Walker- Rockslide?? maybe??

Affinity??? really?? nooooooo??

Rockslide is a great deck name. So good. Until someone makes mudslide work.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

I am sorry, but are you guys serious?

I am watching the first round in which Morgan played right now, and already watched the final round. Suffice to say his deck is vastly different the Rock. The only thing his deck has in common with the Rock that I can see... is the Knight of the Reliquary. Which is not something that you can state makes the decks "the same." Just because ONE card is the same does not make them the same archetype. All it does is mean that they are both using one of the most efficient creatures within their respective colors and given their respective strategies (in Astral Slides case it is because it uses alot of Cycling Lands, and in the Rock's case it is because it uses a crap ton of fetch lands and Wastelands).

Suffice to say these decks play strikingly different games both pre- and post- board. They strive to control the game in different ways. And they ultimately have different deck designs. So to say they are the same is down right WRONG.

As far as Affinity goes, it can easily win games in a meta that is not prepared to face it. That is what made the deck so damned powerful when it was in Standard. Goblins is much the same actually.

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
    I am sorry, but are you guys serious?

I am watching the first round in which Morgan played right now, and already watched the final round. Suffice to say his deck is vastly different the Rock. The only thing his deck has in common with the Rock that I can see... is the Knight of the Reliquary. Which is not something that you can state makes the decks "the same." Just because ONE card is the same does not make them the same archetype. All it does is mean that they are both using one of the most efficient creatures within their respective colors and given their respective strategies (in Astral Slides case it is because it uses alot of Cycling Lands, and in the Rock's case it is because it uses a crap ton of fetch lands and Wastelands).

Suffice to say these decks play strikingly different games both pre- and post- board. They strive to control the game in different ways. And they ultimately have different deck designs. So to say they are the same is down right WRONG.

As far as Affinity goes, it can easily win games in a meta that is not prepared to face it. That is what made the deck so damned powerful when it was in Standard. Goblins is much the same actually.
    Wait, he doesn't play a series of cards that grind out CA in BGW, uses the GY and is vulnerable to combo decks, at least preboard? Man, his deck is nothing like the Rock!

The rock isn't a particular 60 cards. It is a grinding BG/x deck that is built based on meta. Yes, Slide is a unique feature, but the mindset and style of play is extremely similiar. You're acting like Vial Goblins and Chain Goblins have nothing in common other than little red men that share a tribe and beat down and...

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

okay for reference sake... HERE is a Rock deck that placed 3rd in a 32 player event:

Creatures:
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Tarmogoyf

Instants:
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries:
    4 Duress
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Thoughtseize

Enchantments:
    3 Pernicious Deed

Artifacts:
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Lands:
    3 Bayou
    1 Forest
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Yixlid Jailer
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Deathmark
    2 Vindicate
    1 Animate Dead
    1 Choke
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Serenity
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

And HERE is what Morgan Coke had been running as of April 9th 2009:

Creatures:
    4 Eternal Witness
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Loxodon Hierarch

Instants:
    3 Expunge
    3 Radiant's Judgment

Sorceries:
    3 Decree of Pain
    3 Life from the Loam

Enchantments:
    3 Astral Slide

Artifacts:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Mox Diamond

Lands:
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 Barren Moor
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    2 Secluded Steppe
    1 Swamp
    4 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Planeswalkers:
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard:
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Extirpate
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Lapse of Certainty
    3 Ghostly Prison

Both lists are publically viewable on www.deckcheck.net so I am not spoiling Morgan Coke's secret tech here, nor anyone elses. However I would like you to explain to me how the first list in anyway resembles the second list?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Both decks include common Rock creatures, but besides that they're completely different.

How can you have a Rock deck with 3 maindeck black spells?

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

if your talking about Morgan's deck, he runs 6 main deck black spells, 3 Expunge, and 3 Decree of Pain. Neither of which is traditionally run in the Rock. Either way, you are quite correct, that is far to few to qualify as The Rock in my view as well.

if your talking about Morgan's deck, he runs 6 main deck black spells, 3 Expunge, and 3 Decree of Pain. Neither of which is traditionally run in the Rock. Either way, you are quite correct, that is far to few to qualify as The Rock in my view as well.
    You seem stuck on the idea that The Rock is a spefici list, rather than a general outline of a deck. I have played against it online, practice room, etc. You are beating the Rock or losing to the Rock when you play against it. It is doing Rock stuff, maybe in a little different manner, but if you look through MTG's history, the Rock is a very flexible archetype that never looks the same from month-to-month. Also, I was teasing him with the comment, but since you're obsessed with it.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

This is like saying every deck that runs a Stoneforge Mystic Equipment suite should be the same deck. Or every deck that has Force of Will and Goyf is Merfolk. I don't care how similar the play style is, you need to have a similar build along with a similar strategy to be the same archetype.

Someone who posted this in the Rock topic would be told to make a new thread or find a better one.

Maybe it's Slide Rock. I'll accept that, since the name signifies a twist on the general archetype. But don't just call it "The Rock". When I think Rock I think early game disruption, efficient removal, 2-for-1 dudes, and a couple huge finishers. This deck sacrifices the disruption to take advantage of the interaction between Slide and ETB dudes, which is a Rock-ish thing to do, but it's not The Rock.

And I was joking with Morgan about it, menace suggested rock slide (which is a sweet name), and Dalkon freaked out and was like THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE ROCK THEY SHARE ONE CARD AND THAT IS A CREATURE NOTROCKNOTROCK HERE IS A LIST AND IT IS THE ONLY ROCK DECK EVAR! It was confusing but exciting.

I will say in a serious continuation of the rock/notrock discussion that he has given up early disruption due to metaing against Zoo/Mer/critter decks and hoping to dodge combos. Maybe not the most traditional stance, but it is frustrating to run zoo at.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

you are so putting words into my mouth that I did not say. While it is true that I do not think Morgan was running the Rock (or even a Rock influenced Slide deck). I did not say the Rock list that I provided was the ONLY Rock list in existence. In point of fact, in a lot of ways, Eva Green could be considered a Rock deck. So can Doran Suicide. There are a lot of renditions of the Rock in existence.

However Astral Slide is NOT one of them.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

And I was joking with Morgan about it, menace suggested rock slide (which is a sweet name), and Dalkon freaked out and was like THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE ROCK THEY SHARE ONE CARD AND THAT IS A CREATURE NOTROCKNOTROCK HERE IS A LIST AND IT IS THE ONLY ROCK DECK EVAR! It was confusing but exciting..
    HAH!
    I agree that it is not TheRock, although it does use Rockish duders(Eternal,Lox,KotR,Tarmo) and recurrsion engine (loam,Stronghold) with Manlands/Wasteland.
    All with now 50% moar Slide.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Why's that?

you are so putting words into my mouth that I did not say. While it is true that I do not think Morgan was running the Rock (or even a Rock influenced Slide deck). I did not say the Rock list that I provided was the ONLY Rock list in existence. In point of fact, in a lot of ways, Eva Green could be considered a Rock deck. So can Doran Suicide. There are a lot of renditions of the Rock in existence.

So wait, you posted a rock list and were like, "let it rock, this is rock!" Then you posted his list and were like, "Do the electric slide, this is a slide list! not the rock! ever!", as if posting one rock list was the only rock list, so if you didn't play those cards, you weren't the rock. Right? That's what you did? Yes? Slide being in the rock obviously makes it not the rock. Y'know. I hear if you play engineered explosives and smother in Zoo, you're actually not running zoo because those cards don't go in zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Why's that?
    The man said so.

I'm curious if you even read my first post in the thread Dalkon. First reply was your stunned amazment at me knowing his deck before lists were posted.

- Merged your posts. Don't double or triple post in the future--that's spam. Also, this thread is very close to getting locked. - Bardo
    Last edited by Bardo; 04-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

okay so based on the modification of Morgan_Coke's OP, I feel I owe an apology to Walkerdog as it seems that it is Morgan_Coke's intent to run a more rock inspired Astral Slide deck. I think I misunderstood what was being said by Walkerdog, and slightly over reacted. So I apologize.

ON TOPIC:
    I am glad to see that Legacy events are in fact firing on MTGO. That makes me extremely happy as I fully intend to start participating in them as soon as I can put together and test my own deck for MTGO. I have something special in mind specifically for play on MTGO. It is rather unusual for Legacy, while at the same time being a classic deck type. So I expect it to do well, at least I hope it does well.

Thread Information