Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Legacy Daily Event Complete

Re: First Legacy Daily Event Complete

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post

ON TOPIC:
    I am glad to see that Legacy events are in fact firing on MTGO. That makes me extremely happy as I fully intend to start participating in them as soon as I can put together and test my own deck for MTGO. I have something special in mind specifically for play on MTGO. It is rather unusual for Legacy, while at the same time being a classic deck type. So I expect it to do well, at least I hope it does well.
    And the thread gets its first on-topic post. I'm about to head out for a doctor's appointment, so if someone else wants to log the 2pm Daily online today, that'd be great. Thanks.

EDIT: Or, since I'll be back around the time its over, I guess I can do it. Either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
    okay so based on the modification of Morgan_Coke's OP, I feel I owe an apology to Walkerdog as it seems that it is Morgan_Coke's intent to run a more rock inspired Astral Slide deck. I think I misunderstood what was being said by Walkerdog, and slightly over reacted. So I apologize.

ON TOPIC:
    I am glad to see that Legacy events are in fact firing on MTGO. That makes me extremely happy as I fully intend to start participating in them as soon as I can put together and test my own deck for MTGO. I have something special in mind specifically for play on MTGO. It is rather unusual for Legacy, while at the same time being a classic deck type. So I expect it to do well, at least I hope it does well.
    No worries. I love a good debate. Hope I wasn't too obnoxious. I'm excited to play in Legacy events, although I've been busy with work this week.

Updated first post with beginnings of meta breakdown, more event finishes, etc.

Event #4:

Let me just say that it is awesome that this event got 21 players at 3AM EST.

4-0s Zoo and Reanimator

3-1s NoPro, Goblins, Goblins, and Goblins. One goblins had prospector, another splashed green and had sparksmith, and the last splashed black.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I liked the info in the opening post. Can we keep it always up to date? Or is there somewhere to fetch the information, like on MODO or some WotC website?
    "Want all, lose all."

I'll try to keep the opening post up to date w/regards to events. Other people are more than welcome to post results in the thread if I haven't gotten them up yet. There are no more Legacy Daily Events until Tuesday, April 6th. Although there is a Legacy - top 8 Premier event on April 4th at 5pm. Given that its Easter, I'm not really sure what the turnout on that will be. I'd love to do it, but I doubt I'll be able to.

I have been trying to follow and keep up with the MTGO legacy scene. I have a little database going that's tracking the top decks. If I may ask, where have you been getting the data for these daily events? Do you manually look at them on MTGO, or do they end up getting posted somewhere?

I've been getting my information from www.mtgonline.com , and I've been manually clicking on each legacy events as they are listed. Although it seems like not all events end up getting listed here.

Kind of random, but here is some of the output that I have so far. This only accounts for two events, one on 3/31/10 and another on 4/1/10.

Top decks:
    3 Goblins
    2 Zoo
    2 Slide
    2 NO countertop
    1 Merfolk
    1 Ichorid
    1 Affinity
    1 Dream Halls
    1 Eva Green

Most used cards:
    25 Tormod's Crypt
    24 Mountain
    22 Wasteland
    20 Island
    20 Tarmogoyf
    16 Aether Vial
    16 Force of Will
    16 Ethersworn Cannonist
    14 Chalice of the Void
    13 Windswept Heath

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

Might be time to dust off that Goblin Hate.

I'm gonna assume Goblins are being widely played due to the fact they are one of the cheaper decks to assemble.

Surprised we aren't seeing more Dredge.

It is def awesome to see such good support this early on. Let's hope the support stays long after the hype has settled down.

I hope you guys stay on top of this info, looks like it will be a great thread to keep coming back to.
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

@ Morgan_Coke:I thought I recognized your name on MODO, I'm predator8785, I mainly troll and waste time by watching games.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmoonz View Post
    I have been trying to follow and keep up with the MTGO legacy scene. I have a little database going that's tracking the top decks. If I may ask, where have you been getting the data for these daily events? Do you manually look at them on MTGO, or do they end up getting posted somewhere?
    I've been manually checking all the events I don't play in myself. But if you're willing to wait a few days you can also see all the decklists on the official Wizards site under "decks of the week". They list all the decks that finish dailies 3-1 or better there.

EDIT: if someone spots a problem/error with the first post list, let me know and I'll correct it.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I'll try to keep the opening post up to date w/regards to events. Other people are more than welcome to post results in the thread if I haven't gotten them up yet. There are no more Legacy Daily Events until Tuesday, April 6th. Although there is a Legacy - top 8 Premier event on April 4th at 5pm. Given that its Easter, I'm not really sure what the turnout on that will be. I'd love to do it, but I doubt I'll be able to.
    actually there are legacy daily's scheduled for the fourth and 5th as well... In fact I am hoping to be able to play in the one on the fifth, and if not then in the one on the 6th, but am not sure.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Badmoonz View Post
    Most used cards:
    25 Tormod's Crypt
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpinAintEasy View Post
    Surprised we aren't seeing more Dredge.
    Yeah, it's a mystery.

Seriously, though, it's not as easy to pilot as Goblins and more easily hated out. Also, Dredge, if being built for budget reasons, is severely limited to Non-LED versions as LED is now over $60 each (which I must say is insane!).
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Yeah, it's a mystery.

Seriously, though, it's not as easy to pilot as Goblins and more easily hated out. Also, Dredge, if being built for budget reasons, is severely limited to Non-LED versions as LED is now over $60 each (which I must say is insane!).
    Ok smarty , I was referring to 4-0 or 3-1 appearances. There was only one placement with dredge according to the OP.

I think the LED factor is probably one of the major issues, but even with the cost of LEDs, dredge is one of the cheaper decks to build. I also agree Goblins is easier to pilot than dredge.

I know Goblins appear to be front runners atm, but does anyone seriously think this trend will continue?
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Dredge is so underplayed because 90% of Magic players hate it. Yes, that's the only reason. But it's better to be prepared, especially for decks like Zoo or Golbins which are otherwise byes for dredge.

Also, LED in Dredge is epic fail. G1 the extra boost of speed is totally unneeded and in G2 and G3 is makes you vulnerable to hate and is always sided out. It's really a bad card in this archetype.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by dunkle_stille View Post
    Dredge is so underplayed because 90% of Magic players hate it. Yes, that's the only reason. But it's better to be prepared, especially for decks like Zoo or Golbins which are otherwise byes for dredge.

Also, LED in Dredge is epic fail. G1 the extra boost of speed is totally unneeded and in G2 and G3 is makes you vulnerable to hate and is always sided out. It's really a bad card in this archetype.
    I think gobos has a good MU vs dredge-esp w/o Bazaar-.
    The gobos wil not continue since zoo is a bad mu for them and should be increasing in showings.
    Edit:
    @dunkle- it is not the worst MU, but is your worst aggro MU- excerpt from a SCG article-.

The main reason for this is that Mogg Fanatic is very good disruption. Not only does it remove any Bridge from Belows that are in the graveyard, but it can also take down an Ichorid, Narcomeoba, or even Putrid Imp before an Ichorid player has a chance to fully utilize them. Mogg Fanatic by itself is not enough to beat Ichorid, as without pressure the Ichorid player could continue to put Ichorids and Narcomeobas in play and overwhelm the Goblin player, even if most of its Bridge from Belows have been removed.

If the Goblin player does not draw Mogg Fanatic, this can leave them completely overwhelmed by Ichorid’s creatures and tokens. Goblin Lackey can be of use here, especially on the play, where it can perhaps put a turn 2 Siege-Gang Commander into play, as that gives the Goblin player a sacrifice outlet similar to the effect that Mogg Fanatic has. The Goblin player needs some type of disruption to slow down the opponent, but it also needs enough pressure to prevent an Ichorid player from recovering. This matchup is close, but Ichorid still seems to be ahead, if only slightly.
    Last edited by menace13; 04-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

I don't see how gobbos have a good matchup against dredge. First turn lackey is easily answered by Imp or Tribe and from there on goblins is too slow to keep up. That's just pure theory though, as no one here ( in my city where I usually play ) plays goblins ;)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Thank you Morgan for compiling the information. It would help to see % totals for each event, or even through a time period so we can better gauge the online metagame. It seems to me that the online metagame is a bit like Legacy metagame about 5 years ago, when Goblins was just the easiest deck to pilot in the face of other archetypes. Doubly so since it's also cheap to assemble compared to more familiar Legacy decks.

Case in point: Reanimator is a costly behemoth with 12 cards pulling in at $600+ alone (FoW, USeas, Entomb). But that's just an aside.

I have noticed a lot of people assembling Burn/RDW and Pox/discard decks and I don't think that is the right direction for getting into the format, because as we all know, those decks are marginal Tier 2 at best.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by ImpinAintEasy View Post
    ... does anyone seriously think this trend will continue?
    Depends what you mean "continue" (how long?). I definitely think it's a fledgling format and that is reflected in the deck choices. If by continue you mean for the next few months, yeah, I guess it will. But I have a hunch (maybe a small one) that by summer and the run up to Columbus, there will be a greater influx of people playing and practicing on MTGO, so maybe decks will be diversified or begin to diversify. Also, maybe most are Americans and judging by the SCG $5Ks, Americans love aggro and recently Goblins. Dunno. I certainly think the cost of FoW has a lot to do with it. Thinking looooooooooooong-term (5 years), I think a normal meta will emerge. [/speculation . . . see my signature ]
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Todays Event won by frogboy with Dredge and someone named "Emeraldas" with Goblins.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Is there a way to view videos of Daily Events that aren't from today? I can't seem to figure it out.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Thread Information