Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Archetype Discussion] Goblins vs. Vampires

Re: [Archetype Discussion] Goblins vs. Vampires

My vamps do ok for tribal even in small legacy tournys. It is very hard to keep a hand or a creature in play against them. using it more as black control is more successful than straight aggro as it can't match other tribes ramp.

I play a lot of merfolk too and in matchups such as zoo, elves, goblins and other stuff that counters can't keep up with it can be effective to make the merfolk actually MORE aggro. Rather than siding in dismember and creature steal spells that can only do so much, I just side out cursecatcher and daze (which are totally ineffective against zoo and cheap tribal ramp) and put in Wake Thrashers and Sleep and/or Cryptic Command. Tap their creatures, swing for 10, their creatures don't untap with sleep or you tap again with rejerry and swing for another 10 or more.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Using Goblins as any kind of basis for actively seeking out tribal strategies is just missing the point. Goblins is a good example of an aggro-control deck with a fuckton of synergy. Goblin Lackey puts Goblin Matron into play, which searches for Goblin Ringleader which puts Goblins in your hand which makes spells that count Goblins better (Piledriver, Gempalm Incinerator) and other Goblins happen to have a ton of interactions with fellow Goblins. The fact that they're all Goblins just means that; they're all Goblins. I don't think going and looking for tribes that stand up against what happens to be an aggro-control deck chock full of inbred synergy gives one lease to try and make an argument for another tribe just because "they do stuff, too."

Goblins also has a lot of very intentional synergy, in that R&D went, "Welp, Goblins is a deck. So Red creatures have to be Goblins to be good pretty much." and then it was like, the minute a Red creature with a relevant ETB trigger needed to be printed, they just went ahead and made it a Goblin. If they'd all been Kithkin or Frogs we wouldn't have given a second shit about it.

The minute they start printing Vampires that suck each other off as much as Goblins do, then one can go looking for that oh-so-crucial tribal synergy that makes Goblins a deck. But otherwise you're just arbitrarily sticking to a creature type. Vampire Nighthawk stands out because it does a billion things; it blocks and kills anything on the D, and it flies and lifelinks on the O. That's awesome. Pairing it with a Lord is cute, but it doesn't really have more internal synergy than that. When they start printing Vampires that rival Ringleader, Warchief and Matron, maybe there will be something to talk about.

"If they'd all been Kithkin or Frogs we wouldn't have given a second shit about it."

that is so true

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The minute they start printing Vampires that suck each other off...
    Was this suppose to be a bad joke? Blood sucking Vampires?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Was this suppose to be a bad joke? Blood sucking Vampires?
    No, I was literally referring to Vampires needing to fellate each other like Goblins.dec does, because they don't even touch that tribe's capacity to synergize almost exclusively with themselves. I missed a golden opportunity though, good catch I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    No, I was literally referring to Vampires needing to fellate each other like Goblins.dec does, because they don't even touch that tribe's capacity to synergize almost exclusively with themselves. I missed a golden opportunity though, good catch I guess.
    I gave you a huge opening with that post I made. WHAT THE FUCK

Thread Information