Page 124 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 3566

Thread: [Deck] Elves Combo

Re: [Deck] Elves Combo

I play a version with 4 summoner's pact for my combo MU. But 1 Fauna Shaman for Progenitus/Natural Order in SB. It works very well, also I play 3 Gaeas Cradle, because it's the best way to cast Regal Force or Ezuri Aggro.

Bernardo Fonseca made it to the semi finals at the SCG Memphis event yesterday.

He was on a roll before losing in the 3rd game due to a turn 1 Trinisphere against Zac Hicks (MUD). The game wasn't certainly over, but turn 1 Trinisphere it's a pretty rough start against any deck.

Event coverage here: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/120226_memphis.html

Top 16 Legacy Decklists: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...0&city=Memphis

Bernardo Fonseca's list:

MD:

1 Birchlore Rangers
    2 Elvish Archdruid
    3 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Visionary
    2 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    3 Priest of Titania
    3 Quirion Ranger
    1 Regal Force
    1 Viridian Zealot
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Concordant Crossroads

11 Forest
    1 Verdant Catacombs

SB:

1 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Vengevine
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Creeping Corrosion

This list is somewhat similar to the list David Vo made top 4 aswell in Atlanta about a year ago: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=1377&d=211116

Legacy Open Top 8 Profiles: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/..._profiles.html

" Which card was your sideboard all-star this weekend?
    Faerie Macabre "

Always Be Cobbling: An Elves Primer

This is a great Elves Combo article by Christoffer Andersen, who recently reached the 5th place at StarCityGames Cincinnati. In this article, Andersen goes specifically into topics such as:

- Mirror Entity Combo Loops;
    - Some Tips on Playing the Deck;
    - Sideboard;
    - Boarding Cards Out;
    - Matchups, etc.

" I don't play much Magic anymore, but I've always wanted to write an article before limping off into the sunset of my proverbial Magic career. Unfortunately, my general disdain for people writing about things they have no idea about combined with the feeling that I myself have nothing worthwhile to say has kept me away from putting pen to paper over the last few years. The fact that I have a super hard time finishing papers hasn't helped too much either. But today, reader, you're in luck. I decided that I probably know enough about playing Combo Elves that composing this piece would be worthwhile. "

Read the whole article here: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...vesPrimer.html

" Chrandersen is my hero. This is a sick article. " - Adam Prosak

Quote Originally Posted by Godmode View Post
    Always Be Cobbling: An Elves Primer

This is a great Elves Combo article by Christoffer Andersen, who recently reached the 5th place at StarCityGames Cincinnati. In this article, Andersen goes specifically into topics such as:

- Mirror Entity Combo Loops;
    - Some Tips on Playing the Deck;
    - Sideboard;
    - Boarding Cards Out;
    - Matchups, etc.

" I don't play much Magic anymore, but I've always wanted to write an article before limping off into the sunset of my proverbial Magic career. Unfortunately, my general disdain for people writing about things they have no idea about combined with the feeling that I myself have nothing worthwhile to say has kept me away from putting pen to paper over the last few years. The fact that I have a super hard time finishing papers hasn't helped too much either. But today, reader, you're in luck. I decided that I probably know enough about playing Combo Elves that composing this piece would be worthwhile. "

Read the whole article here: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...vesPrimer.html

" Chrandersen is my hero. This is a sick article. " - Adam Prosak
    I'm baaaaaaaack

correct me if I'm wrong but in the article he says you need nettle, heritage, symbiote, and mirror entity for the loop, but I'm pretty sure you don't need nettle. You can have infinite mana with just heritage, symbiote, and mirror entity no?

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Nope. Not unless you also have a lord in play so you can activate Entity for 0 (in which case you can bounce Wirewood to itself to untap the other 2, netting 1 mana each iteration).

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Nope. Not unless you also have a lord in play so you can activate Entity for 0 (in which case you can bounce Wirewood to itself to untap the other 2, netting 1 mana each iteration).
    Your statement is wrong if I'm not mistaken. Activating Entity for 0 causes ALL your creatures to die since they become 0/0. But you need Nettle, Heritage, Entity & Symbiote to gain infinite mana. Tap 1 mana to make all your creatures 1/1 elves. Then tap Nettle, Entity & Symbiote for 3 mana. Bounce Symbiote to untap Entity. Replay Symbiote, nettle untaps. Now you can start the chain again, gaining 1 mana each time. Rince, repeat for enormous amount & then pump your creatures that are able to attack to kill your opponent.

Jun 2010
    Germany

no, they will not die because of +1/+1 off the Lord, right?

Do you need to remake symbiote into an elf each time you replay him?

Quote Originally Posted by k2thej View Post
    Do you need to remake symbiote into an elf each time you replay him?
    Yes, he's a new entity and will -not- be an elf upon reentering the field. For the same reason that if someone bolts some creature with flash, you bounce it to your hand and play it again before the bolt resolves, the bolt is still countered upon resolution because it's original target doesn't exist--despite the physical card still being on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Yes, he's a new entity and will -not- be an elf upon reentering the field. For the same reason that if someone bolts some creature with flash, you bounce it to your hand and play it again before the bolt resolves, the bolt is still countered upon resolution because it's original target doesn't exist--despite the physical card still being on the table.
    noooice

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    no, they will not die because of +1/+1 off the Lord, right?
    They will still die because the lord only gives other elves +1/+1, so the lord itself ends up being 0/0. However, if you have 2 lords in play it is possible.

mindbreak trap or Thorn Of Amethyst???

Thorn can be used against a lot of decks, but trap only helps against storm. Trap is better against storm since thorn gives them turn 1 (or 2 is you're on the draw) even if you have it in hand. So I'd say if you're really concerned about storm go trap, but if not go thorn (or neither, they're not super important)

Ross Merriam (AKA theross) made top8 at the SCG Baltimore Legacy Open and is up a game right now in the Quarter-Finals playing with Maverick.

Congratulations to Mr. Merriam!

Feb 2010
    Salamanca, Spain

Hey, grats for Ross!!!

And btw, Maverick is the other deck I play in Legacy next to Elves :-)

Both sweet, fun and strong decks. I just love having fun playing Magic while being competitive, not going S&T - Emrakul, concede? ...

Also, if lately I'm not reporting any info or tops I make with Elves is because I'm unfairly banned from the WPN for half a year... :-/
    Nihilobstat on Cockatrice. Let's play some Magic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NihilObstat View Post
    Hey, grats for Ross!!!

And btw, Maverick is the other deck I play in Legacy next to Elves :-)

Both sweet, fun and strong decks. I just love having fun playing Magic while being competitive, not going S&T - Emrakul, concede? ...

Also, if lately I'm not reporting any info or tops I make with Elves is because I'm unfairly banned from the WPN for half a year... :-/
    Jebus, how'd that happen?

In any event, I'm returning to elves after a stint with UR Delver. Has there been any recent developments with the deck?

I tried Living Wish again, I still feel it's a terrible card. There were too many times where I started to combo and couldn't find another nettle and wasn't hitting 1 drops, running into Living Wish caused me to fizzle twice by requiring to pay 3 mana for a nettle sentinel with no one-drop in hand. Had it been summoner's pact I could have played out a visionary or an arch-druid into more cards and taken it.

Putting key combo cards into your sideboard reduces their density in your opening hands and reduces the number of 1 drops in the deck while increasing the number of 3 drops in the deck.

I've only gotten to playtest against UW Stoneblade lately, the matchup seems fine--though a resolved and active jitte is pretty much game. Most games I either went off early enough or could drop a shaman over and over again to kill it, but sometimes I couldn't and I lost those games. Not sure if Zealot is better in these scenarios since he can pop at instant speed. Wirewood Symbiote helped a lot as well, but once he got wise to the combat tricks he could just remove symbiote prior to combat.

What's the consensus on the deck these days? Is the mono-green vengevine, splash vengevine, emrakul, or mirror entity lists looking the strongest?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Been playing the Chris Andersen build against friends for a while now. Goddamnit I had forgotten how fun this deck was (last played back in Berlin times). The midrange-oriented version is a blast, and such a marked improvement over the old days. Just the fact that you actually have a long game is amazing.

What's puzzling about the Andersen sideboard to me is the lack of Enlightened Tutor. He packs multiple copies of basically everything, and all of that can be hit by Enlightened Tutor. Wouldn't some kind of E.Tutor package allow for more diversity for less slots? I'm especially bothered by the 1-of Jitte and Mortarpod which answer outs to you and no way to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Been playing the Chris Andersen build against friends for a while now. Goddamnit I had forgotten how fun this deck was (last played back in Berlin times). The midrange-oriented version is a blast, and such a marked improvement over the old days. Just the fact that you actually have a long game is amazing.

What's puzzling about the Andersen sideboard to me is the lack of Enlightened Tutor. He packs multiple copies of basically everything, and all of that can be hit by Enlightened Tutor. Wouldn't some kind of E.Tutor package allow for more diversity for less slots? I'm especially bothered by the 1-of Jitte and Mortarpod which answer outs to you and no way to find them.
    You find them from comboing presumably.

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post

What's the consensus on the deck these days? Is the mono-green vengevine, splash vengevine, emrakul, or mirror entity lists looking the strongest?
    I think the strongest elf deck is the mono green fauna/vengevine build, blind's build.

It sacrifices the fast combo match ups, so it can shore up the aggro control/control matchups. Fast combo was never favorable to elves, even with a devoted sideboard.

:)

I have missed the top 8 this week (90 players tournament) :

5-1 before the last rounde but forced to play. I lose Vs Dredge 1-2.

I haven't changed my decklist (just -1 Dismember +1 Beast Within in SB).

Thread Information