Page 125 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 3566

Thread: [Deck] Elves Combo

May 2011
    Louisiana

Re: [Deck] Elves Combo

Quote Originally Posted by blind View Post
    :)

I have missed the top 8 this week (90 players tournament) :

5-1 before the last rounde but forced to play. I lose Vs Dredge 1-2.

I haven't changed my decklist (just -1 Dismember +1 Beast Within in SB).
    Hey blind. What was your other loss?
    Why beast within? Did a singleton help you?

Final question, how is the new esper blade match up? I haven't tested it yet but it seems bad on paper. Jitte+ fliers+ perish + countermagic= bad?

What was your other loss?
    R1 win Vs High Tide (Carpet is priceless)
    R2 lose Vs Burning Retrace Loam (with 4 Flame Jab MD)
    R3 win Vs UGR Delver
    R4 win Vs Patriot UWR
    R5 win Vs UR Delver
    R6 win Vs ANT
    R7 lose Vs Dredge

Why beast within? Did a singleton help you?
    For Jitte. Now Esper play Lingering Soul and Dismember is less strong. Beast within is good Vs Aven, Gaddock, Cage (for Natural Order).

I haven't tested it yet but it seems bad on paper. Jitte+ fliers+ perish + countermagic= bad?
    yeah, NO + Prog is good because Esper play just 2 Perish (and 1 Persecution). This Mu is difficult, it's sure.

Not that this is news, but I was playtesting Christoffer Andersen's build against a Merfol deck today. It was packing some removal in the form of Echoing Truth, and otherwise was typical merfolk. I went 10-1, including two post-sideboard. I was impressed. I never missed Emrakul, and I was ripping him up with changeling regardless of how comboed I was. I only own one Gaea's Cradle, and in at least one game that really hurt; I had one in play, but needed to Crop Rotate for a second Cradle to really go off.

I had a few questions, though:

1) I ran two Eldrami's Call over the two Chords of Calling. My justification was the same as Anderson running Pridemage over Zealot: it costs less. Chord gets a creature for 3 green plus casting cost. Call gets a creature for 2 plus its cost. Note, however, that Chord has Convoke, and Call costs one white. Does anyone have experience running one over the other? I only once was hurting for white to tutor up something in all ten games.

2) At least four of the ten games I had a circumstance where I could go fetch something with Zenith but had no clear route to comboing in any way. In that circumstance, I always defaulted to assembling Witness + Symbiote. Is that the right way to do it?

The main thing about chord that Eldrami's call and zenith don't give you is that they let you put creatures on the board at instant speed, so you can EOT get mirror entity or EOT get priest and gank them.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post

2) At least four of the ten games I had a circumstance where I could go fetch something with Zenith but had no clear route to comboing in any way. In that circumstance, I always defaulted to assembling Witness + Symbiote. Is that the right way to do it?
    Just out of curiosity here, you phrased witness + symbiote as if they have some interaction where there's very clearly none, or are you referring to paying 1 to turn it into an elf, bouncing it, and replaying it for 3?

This seems like a not-so-great interaction to be perfectly honest, though witness as a 1-of sounds amazing as a means of grabbing glimpse again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Just out of curiosity here, you phrased witness + symbiote as if they have some interaction where there's very clearly none, or are you referring to paying 1 to turn it into an elf, bouncing it, and replaying it for 3?

This seems like a not-so-great interaction to be perfectly honest, though witness as a 1-of sounds amazing as a means of grabbing glimpse again.
    Hah, you're totally right. When I said Witness, I meant Visionary. Hopefully my question makes more sense now!

I don't actually like Witness in the Gw version of this deck because you really do not have a critical card. Like the article explains, it's really just a swarm deck with the ability to violently explode if allowed.

So is stingerfling spider the best answer to linvala?

I'm playing this soon, and I expect a fie with burn, dredge, and animator. What should my board look like? 4 faerie is a given, but I can'T think of a card to run against burn.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    I'm playing this soon, and I expect a fie with burn, dredge, and animator. What should my board look like? 4 faerie is a given, but I can'T think of a card to run against burn.
    Just race them. They almost can't beat you by the time you beat them, if they spend cards sweeping or killing creatures, it puts them that many turns behind.

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by murderface View Post
    So is stingerfling spider the best answer to linvala?
    Dismember

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Dismember
    If you're already splashing for with Mirror Entity then StP is better.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I think we have a new reasonible win condition :)

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Craterhoof vs. Regal Force
    The scenario when Regal force is worse is if you untap with a lot of dudes and win the same turn by attacking for a million with Craterhoof without casting glimpse, but where you would not have enough mana to start the combo after Regal Force resolved. In my experience resolving a regal force is a win... and very often in the same turn.

-> Advantage in a very very narrow scenario.
    -> In case you cannot win the same turn with Regal Force, you pass the turn with a full hand.
    -> Often you build up mana by playing elves with summoning sickness -> that mana is useless with crater, but nuts with Regal Force

Craterhoof vs. Emrakul:
    you need at least 2-3 untapped/hasty creatures to bash with a couple of "20+/20+" in your combo turn. Since that is hard to achieve, it is strictly worse than Emrakul. If I play a wincon which I am willing to pass a turn in some scenarios I would go with Mirror Entity.

Craterhoof can be tutored with GSZ/Pact and Emrakul not: Just tutor for Regal Force

It will see play because people like to play new cards, but I think it makes the deck worse.
    Currently playing: Elves

That's awful for elves. That card doesn't have nothing to do with Regal nor Emrakul, it would take consistensy of the deck and it would be a win-more con...

No thank you

Went 4-1 last night. One pack and the FNM Dismember for me, and I pulled Sorin and Elbrus!

This is the list I played:

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Summoner's Pact
    1 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Llanowar Elves
    1 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Priest of Titania
    2 Quirion Ranger
    2 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Joraga Warcaller
    1 Sylvan Messenger
    1 Regal Force
    1 Concordant Crossroads
    1 Birchlore Rangers
    1 Elvish Archdruid
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

14 Forest

SB:
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Dismember
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Nature's Claim

R1 Quest (dafuq?)

G1: Turn 1 he played a Doomed Traveler. I thought it would be a cakewalk, then he plays a turn 2 Jitte. I play an archdruid so he has to waste counters on something before I try to combo. He equips, attacks, I take the damage, he kills the druid. I topdeck a pact, pact for Viridian Shaman, destroy the Jitte, and let out a sigh of relief. I pay the pact mana with two forest, one llanowar, and an ESG. I combo soon after.
    G2: I go off turn 3.

R2 Merfolk

G1 He counters my glimpse and beats me down with some fish.
    G2 I side in 2 Carpet, 3 Dismember, 3 Nature's Claim. I don't have Glimpse, but I have Visionary, Priest of Titania, Wirewood Symbiote. Somehow I manage to find a Crossroads and play a Regal Force, then untap-chain into a Warcaller for 13 counters. He then bounces it EOT. I replay it next turn and he concedes.
    G3 I never saw Vials or Jitte, so I took out Nature's Claim, thinking he didn't have them. He FOWs a Heritage druid and I glimpse and win. I saw him playing later on with TWO vials on the field. Hah!

R3 Dredge

G1 Faithless Looting turn 1, drops two GGT. I play elf, go. He plays Careful Study, dredges a ton of good stuff, and DOES NOT CABAL THERAPY ME while I had two glimpse in hand. Went off turn 2.
    G2 He mulls to four and bricks. I win.

R4 RUG Tempo

G1 I mull to 5 and keep a hand with 2 Elvish Visionary, 1 Wirewood. Two Spell Snares and a Lavamancer later, I lost.
    G2 I board in 3 Dismember, 2 Carpet and 3 Thorn of Amethyst. I keep a hand with Visionary and Wirewood again. Couldn't get to a position where I could actually win the game.

R5 Affinity

G1 He plays stuff, I go off turn 2 with Birchlore in hand.
    G2 He plays stuff, I play Llanowar. He plays Frogmite and swings with Memnite. He DARKBLASTS my elf?! I play a Visionary to dig for a symbiote or the combo. He kills it again. He attacks until I'm down to 9 life, then he stops dredging the Darkblast. I've only been playing lands up to this point, and I'm at 4 lands, 2 Nettle Sentinel, 2 Heritage Druid, 1 Glimpse and I went off.

Got pretty lucky last night, and I never had to aggro to win. RUG Tempo seems like something I'd need more board slots for. Elvish Champions for Priest of Titania, maybe? The priests are too slow in that matchup, and they get Spell Snared. Champions are also good in the mirror, as well as other decks like Junk and Maverick. I sided out the Sylvan Messenger in many matchups, so maybe it should stay in the board and come in against midrange or control opponents.
    Last edited by .Ix; 04-14-2012 at 04:36 AM.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Essence Warden is pretty monstrous versus burn (and sligh in general) and is acceptable versus storm combo as well.

Playing with the Christoffer Andersen's list (with one Ezuri in the place of the 3rd Birchlore), Leon Kornacki made it to the Top8 at the SCG Phoenix Legacy Open event. He lost 2-1 in the Quarterfinals against Adam Prosak (RUG Delver).

Leon Kornacki vs. Adam Prosak: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...rnacki_vs.html

Leon Kornacki's elven horde: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=45469

MD:

1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Elvish Visionary
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Heritage Druid
    2 Llanowar Elves
    2 Mirror Entity
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    2 Priest of Titania
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Quirion Ranger
    1 Regal Force
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

1 Crop Rotation
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Chord of Calling

1 Pendelhaven
    2 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Savannah
    3 Wooded Foothills
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Forest

SB:

2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Absolute Law
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Progenitus
    4 Natural Order

What do you think about "cavern of souls"? i see it as a 4-off, or minimum 3-off, however it can cause problems with quirion ranger or wasteland... but is a nice card for us, i think

SB:

2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Absolute Law
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Progenitus
    4 Natural Order
    Elesh? Really?

What do you think about "cavern of souls"? i see it as a 4-off, or minimum 3-off, however it can cause problems with quirion ranger or wasteland... but is a nice card for us, i think
    I am not sure it's good MD, maybe a good SB card.

May 2011
    Louisiana

I don't think cavern of souls is a good idea in elves, I could end up wrong though.

One of elves strengths is being wasteland proof. Very rarely do I care if my creature gets countered. Removal is more a problem than counters for elves. The only creature that I typically need to resolve is scavenging ooze, not an elf.

In fact, I believe the non creature spells are more important to resolve:GSZ, Glimpse of Nature, and Natural Order. However, if counterbalance ever became a DTB again than this land would be a staple in at the least our sideboards.

Thread Information