Page 127 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 3581

Thread: [Deck] Elves Combo

Mar 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Re: [Deck] Elves Combo

Here is a quick run down of the events:

Friday Night Legacy!
    Round 1 vs Sneaky Show:
    Game 1 I have the turn 3 kill while he's digging.

I sideboard in Gaddock Teeg, Preservers, and Choke.

Game 2 He puts out a Griselbrand Turn 2 and thats the game.

Game 3 I mulligan to 6 and he has a turn 3 Griselbrand, but does not see a sweeper after he draws 30+ cards.

Round 2 vs Burn

Game 1 I end up aggro'ing out because he floods on lands.

Game 2 is close, but he gets there on the back of Bolt, Bolt, Fireblast.

Game 3 ends in a draw when he Flame Rifts when we're both at 3.

Game 4 I combo out on turn 4 (would've been turn 3 if he didn't kill my Heritage druid).

Round 3 vs Mono Blue(?)
    This player was new to Legacy, and his plan was control until he had enough Sol Lands out to cast Emrakul. I ended up aggroing out games 1 and 2 and killing him.

At the end of the event, it turns out that my results from Round 1 were put in wrong, but I still got the first place prize anyway for X-0ing.

Saturday Night Legacy!
    Round 1 vs Jank

My opponent was playing his U/R "Eventide Block" deck. I combo'd off at my leisure.

Round 2 vs RUG.

I absolutely love this matchup. The games are grindy and tight, but in the end Elves just has a better long game than RUG.

Game 1 I aggro him out simply because I draw less lands than he does.

Game 2 I attempt to combo, but he has enough burn to keep me off of critical creatures.

Game 3 I aggro him out when he mulligans to 5.

Round 3 vs Mono W Death and Taxes
    This is a fairly easy matchup, despite their E Tutor sb. By the time they're tutoring for their answer and can cast it, I usually just combo off. The only notable thing is that Mirran Crusader with a Jitte is a BEATING! Also: Thalia is useless vs Elves and Ethersworn Canonist isn't the best ;)

Round 4 vs Maverick:
    Intentional Draw. This matchup is similar to D&T in that by the time they have an answer, they're usually dead. Although they do play more spot removal in the form of Gut Shot and sometimes Punishing Fires.

Grand Prix Trial at The Encounter in Allentown, PA.
    Round 1 vs RUG
    He wins game 1 when I fail to gain traction after a mulligan to 6.

Games 2 and 3 I combo off when he has minimal counter magic.

After turn 1-2, Daze is useless vs Elves 8)

Round 2 vs Imperial Painter
    I played against another Source member, sroncor1. This is a very close matchup in my opinion, but game 1 is almost always an auto win because they have no gy hate for emrakul.
    I lose games 2 and 3 because he hits his combo turn 2 or 3 both games with Faerie Macabre and Tormod's Crypt backup.

Round 3 vs Deadguy
    A very easy matchup, I win game 2 through a Hymn to Tourach, Thoughtseize and Path to Exile.

Round 4 vs Explorer Junk
    My opponent and I are both aiming for the byes, so no scoops here. This is the win-and-in for us both; the winner of this round can ID the next round to get in to top 4.

Game 1: My opponent starts off with triple cabal therapy, stripping my mulligan to 6 of Green Sun's Zenith and Glimpse of Nature. 2 turns later he is able to land an Explorer and gets lucky and hits a 2nd glimpse I was sandbagging. Luckily, with the 2 new lands from the Explorer I combo off the next turn thanks to drawing the Regal Force.

Game 2 is close, my opponent has an Academy Rector out early and is able to sac it to cabal therapy for a Deed. On his next turn he taps out to Vindicate my Gaea's Cradle, but in response I crop rotation it for the 2nd Gaea's Cradle. I am able to win while he is tapped out.

Round 5: ID with Sneak and Show

Semifinals vs Imperial Painter: He doesn't want the byes, so he scoops to me.

Finals vs Sneak and Show: Unfortunately, it is a quick match. Games 1 and 2 he has Griselbrand on turn 2 and kills me. Lotus Petal is pretty good in that deck!

Thoughts on the deck:
    I really like the 4/3 split between Pact and Zenith. I used to have it the other way around, but Pact is so much more versatile when going off and also lets me cast my creatures to draw cards off of Glimpse. For the event, I actually still had Crossroads still in the SB and found I was bringing it in almost everytime, so I'm going to try it main deck.

Godmode:
    I'm playing Fierce Empath mostly to ensure that I hit Emrakul. I have had games where Emrakul is deep enough in the deck that if I cast a 3rd Glimpse for the turn I may deck myself when I cast him. Granted, I shouldn't because of Zeniths, but the possibility is still there. The empath can also find Regal Force. That said, I don't always keep him in and have sideboarded him out. He is definitely on the chopping block to get replaced with a 2nd Birchlore Rangers. Ezuri originally started out in the main deck, then got moved to the sideboard, then cut, then back into the sideboard. I always think I'll want him when I'm on the aggro plan, but 2 lords plus the pendelhaven is enough. I'll cut Ezuri for the 4th Faerie Macabre, the 2nd Creeping Corrosion, 2nd Krosan Grip, or any tech someone posts here. For now, I'm leaning towards the 2nd K Grip the most.

Greg Sochacki, respect on your placement in RI. One question- why steely resolve instead of Eladamri, Lord of Leaves?

May 2011
    Louisiana

It might be a good time dust off your elf decks guys. Sneak N Show is the combo deck of choice right now and elves actually has a chance against that combo deck. Anyone else been thinking that?

Speaking of Sneak N Show, does anyone have good sideboard tech against it? Best I could think up is Thorn of Amethyst.

10 Forest
    2 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Vengevine
    1 Regal Force
    1 Priest of Titania
    1 Viridian Shaman
    3 Fauna Shaman
    3 Llanowar Elves
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Heritage Druid
    2 Fyndhorn Elves
    1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    SB: 1 Vengevine
    SB: 2 Meekstone
    SB: 3 Carpet of Flowers
    SB: 1 Dismember
    SB: 1 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Mortarpod
    SB: 3 Thorn of Amethyst

I'm gonna play this list tomorrow. I'll tell u how it was.

Hi everyone! I played this deck a long time ago. Now things have changed and i have some comments for you:

How does Priest of titania make the things right now? Does it worth?
    Zenith replaces completely to Summoner's Pact?
    I'm testing a list with 14 lands (2 Craddles + 1 Dryad) and i often dont see any land in my opening 7. Which is the right land count?

Thx in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Hi everyone! I played this deck a long time ago. Now things have changed and i have some comments for you:

How does Priest of titania make the things right now? Does it worth?
    Zenith replaces completely to Summoner's Pact?
    I'm testing a list with 14 lands (2 Craddles + 1 Dryad) and i often dont see any land in my opening 7. Which is the right land count?

Thx in advance!
    Read previous posts and you'll find some help. By the way, since you say you've been out for a while check this article out :http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...vesPrimer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Godmode View Post
    Read previous posts and you'll find some help. By the way, since you say you've been out for a while check this article out :http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...vesPrimer.html
    Thx! Good article! I have some dislikes on puntual card choices.
    The first is the necesity of weaking the mana base with savannah and pendelhaven. I see no purpose on this since mono green variants provide pretty good stuff (except for entity).
    Second im not sure if chocing choord over pact is well justified. It's true that pact is awesome when you are going of but chord demands 4 mana for tutoring, i dont see indeed the significant advantage.

MortaPOD ANd macabre seemed great to me in the side (which has too many 1 of)

Dec 2011
    Pawtucket, RI

Quote Originally Posted by k2thej View Post
    Greg Sochacki, respect on your placement in RI. One question- why steely resolve instead of Eladamri, Lord of Leaves?
    I considered him as a possible sideboard card until I read that he says "other elves" So he himself can still be destroyed. If he protected himself, this would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonryder124 View Post
    I considered him as a possible sideboard card until I read that he says "other elves" So he himself can still be destroyed. If he protected himself, this would be a different story.
    Steely resolve can't protect itself either, though. You're saying the because it's an enchantment it has enough protection?

Der Zorn Gottes
    Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 2013 spoiler
    Yeva, Nature's Herald
    Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
    Flash
    You may cast green creature cards as though they had flash.
    4/4
    This is kind of interesting. Good P/T ratio, good abilities (moreso if also running Arch/Priest) and just so happens to be an Elf as well. Do note the interaction with Symbiote/Visionary. Probably win more as it makes already good situations better and has bad synergy with GSZ, but worth keeping in mind should one want to run Summoner's Pact instead (as suboptimal as it is nowadays).

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    This is kind of interesting. Good P/T ratio, good abilities (moreso if also running Arch/Priest) and just so happens to be an Elf as well. Do note the interaction with Symbiote/Visionary. Probably win more as it makes already good situations better and has bad synergy with GSZ, but worth keeping in mind should one want to run Summoner's Pact instead (as suboptimal as it is nowadays).
    Card seems fun, but not really good. How is pact suboptimal? Pact is one of the best cards in the deck.

Dec 2011
    Pawtucket, RI

Steely resolve can't protect itself either, though. You're saying the because it's an enchantment it has enough protection?
    Yes, Getting rid of a creature is a lot easier than taking out than enchantment. For example what does, Maverik, RUG delver, burn deck, POX, have to deal with enchantment. For game 2 they will not put anything in because I don't run enchantments main board so if anything they took enchantment removal out.

Greg- glad to see you finally settled on a list that I've been arguing for for over a year =p. Congrats on the finish

Only real difference seems to be SB choices from the changing metagame. Very happy to see this list getting used!!!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment. I really first based off of one of the decks here with a vengevine conversion board. I hated it. It hardly ever worked for me. I put in What I thought was a good board still had trouble my friend suggested steely resolve. I never considered it because I use to be a staff elves player and it just didn't work with the deck. I have to say one of the best side board choices I could have made. But next time instead of running 3 steely resolves I'm going to run 2 and throw in a [[karakas]]. I wanted too this time but I don't own any. And everyone on my team that has it is already using it.

Card seems fun, but not really good. How is pact suboptimal? Pact is one of the best cards in the deck.
    I agree. It is what ever card you need to combo out that very turn. Pact is a staple for me in this deck. Would you keep a hand of glimpe,LLanowar elves, forest, and 3 Pacts? I would, because that's a turn 2 win. (note: as long as you know your opponent has no disruption/counter).

Anyway I would just like to report my rounds in the star city open (Worcester).
    I came in 16th out of 304-ish people I was 7/2/0/0

1. So First round was Junk - loss
    game 1 I won- comboed out
    game 2 pernishous deed and couldn't recover
    game 3 kept a shaky hand. I shouldn't of.

2. Nicfit- Won
    This guy didn't really know what he was doing against me
    Game 1- We both mulliganed down to 5 and me with no land. top decked a land turn 2 and comboed out turn 4
    game 2- I had a turn 3 hand, he cabal therapyed naming Quidian ranger. I chuckled and blew him out.

3 Monoblack POX - won
    Game 1 - he kept a slow hand and I just threw down all my elves in my hand turn 2.
    Game 2 - Couldn't recover after a perish and he locked me down
    Game 3 - he kept a risky hand with 3 perishes but one land. He never saw a land again. I comboed out turn 4

4 Show and tell- Won
    Just on the side note this was the biggest prick I ever faced.
    Game 1 - comboed out turn 2
    Game 2 - Comboed out turn 3
    The Guy was making me take the long route going step by step with my mana countering playing creatures untapping and drawing. Even thought he knew what was going on. Also he kept on asking me questions while I was comboing out. like unnecessary questions. after I beat him he wrote down 2-1 on the slip and walked away. I almost didn't notice. I game it to the judge and he changed for me. He was just a headache.

5 RUG Delver- Won
    6 RUG Delver- Won
    7 RUG Delver- Won
    8 RUG Delver- Loss
    9 RUG Delver- Won
    In case you guys are wondering I Don't like playing against RUG anymore lol. well at least not more than once.

Honestly All the Delver matches are a blur. all of them had the same deck except for my last opponent which put in fire/ice instead of forked bolts. Basically let them waist the counter spells on stuff you don't need and combo out. All of them where really hard matches. Steely resolve and shusher helped a lot.

Hope this helps, I will be around if anyone has any questions.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

5 RUG Delver- Won
    6 RUG Delver- Won
    7 RUG Delver- Won
    8 RUG Delver- Loss
    9 RUG Delver- Won
    In case you guys are wondering I Don't like playing against RUG anymore lol. well at least not more than once.
    LOL good job! Man I didn't realize the NE is so inbred with netdeckers. SMH
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Greg what do you board out for steely resolve and shusher against RUG?

Dec 2011
    Pawtucket, RI

Greg what do you board out for steely resolve and shusher against RUG?
    -1 Birchlore ranger
    -1 Living wish
    -1 Quidion ranger
    +2 Steely resolve
    +1 Shusher

I leave one shusher in the side in case I see the other 2 living wishes. I can also fetch it via Green sun. So I side board in 1 and have 5 chances to get him :)

First of all Mr. Sochacki, congrats on your great results with this particular Elves deck. At the moment, one question comes to mind: Do you play 1 Gaea's Cradle main deck by choice? I get the Living Wish synergy, but do you think 2 Cradles main deck and 1 sideboard would take a lot out of the consistensy from your inicial hands?

Dec 2011
    Pawtucket, RI

Quote Originally Posted by Godmode View Post
    First of all Mr. Sochacki, congrats on your great results with this particular Elves deck. At the moment, one question comes to mind: Do you play 1 Gaea's Cradle main deck by choice? I get the Living Wish synergy, but do you think 2 Cradles main deck and 1 sideboard would take a lot out of the consistensy from your inicial hands?
    One word comes to mind.
    Wasteland
    That and you have to remember I am only running 13 lands I often am stuck with only one land in my starting hand. If that land is a cradle then its a forced mulligan
    It's the same reason I don't play Dryad arbor

Ya I actually only run the one in the wishboard.The one main was already too risky for my list (13 land as well)

Der Zorn Gottes
    Sep 2008

One word comes to mind.
    Wasteland
    That and you have to remember I am only running 13 lands I often am stuck with only one land in my starting hand. If that land is a cradle then its a forced mulligan
    It's the same reason I don't play Dryad arbor
    Dryad Arbor replaces a Llanowar Elves, not a forest.

Thread Information