Page 129 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 3566

Thread: [Deck] Elves Combo

Re: [Deck] Elves Combo

Greg- What are your board plays against the following decks:
    1) Delver
    2) Miracle control
    3) Reanimator
    I have a good idea of what to bring in, but what do you take out?

Greg- What are your board plays against
    4) Threshold UGr
    thks XD

Root Maze sometimes works agnist Ant. It slow down our opponent, and force him to draw more cards from ant (since he cant teake mana from petals and LED)

Quote Originally Posted by xazzax View Post
    Root Maze sometimes works agnist Ant. It slow down our opponent, and force him to draw more cards from ant (since he cant teake mana from petals and LED)
    Against combo is hard anyway. Thorn and maze has its strenghts and weakness each other but you need both of them in the first 2 turn or you¡re death!

I'm trying to put together a more combo-oriented MD, without the VV plan. My meta is pretty dredge-heavy, so I want to be faster and less weak to grave hate. What does anyone think about this MD?

16 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven (I'll add Cradles when I can afford to)

4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    2 Priest of Titania
    4 Elvish Visionary

1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Joraga Warcaller
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Regal Force
    1 Grapeshot
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Summoner's Pact

Is Grapeshot unreliable, and should I switch to Emrakul? I worry about reliably casting him without the Cradle plan. I'm thinking about cutting a Fyndhorn Elves or two to add some more Quirion Rangers.
    What kind of SB would anyone use with this list?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just curious: is anyone using the mana-lord plan anymore? (4x Archdruid, 4x Priest)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1056 View Post
    I'm trying to put together a more combo-oriented MD, without the VV plan. My meta is pretty dredge-heavy, so I want to be faster and less weak to grave hate. What does anyone think about this MD?

16 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven (I'll add Cradles when I can afford to)

4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Birchlore Rangers
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    2 Priest of Titania
    4 Elvish Visionary

1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Joraga Warcaller
    1 Viridian Shaman
    1 Regal Force
    1 Grapeshot
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Summoner's Pact

Is Grapeshot unreliable, and should I switch to Emrakul? I worry about reliably casting him without the Cradle plan. I'm thinking about cutting a Fyndhorn Elves or two to add some more Quirion Rangers.
    What kind of SB would anyone use with this list?
    Emrakul is greater than Grapeshot. Once you combo off you typically have access to lots of mana. Elves can't do anything about Stifle on Grapeshot.

As for the deck, I would cut Priest of Titania to add more Quirion Rangers. One mana elf is better than two mana elf in the combo version.

Also, I think you are playing too many lands. Just because you don't have Cradles doesn't mean you should play more lands instead. Cradles is actually more of a Ritual spell in elves, not a land. I would cut a few forests to add a few Green Sun's Zeniths. GSZ is good for finding missing elves and good for not decking yourself while generating lots of mana. Remember you don't have to find anything with it and they untap your Nettles. Also, I would switch the Pendlehaven to Dryad Arbor. A one of Pendlehaven that can't be tutored will usually just eat wastelands when you need the land.

Edit: Your sideboard probably needs something like Vexing Shusher to fight counterspells. Natural Order + Progenitus is good against all sorts of decks. With the sound of your meta you probably want some grave hate, surgical and/or fairie macabre are good because they cost no mana.

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Emrakul is greater than Grapeshot. Once you combo off you typically have access to lots of mana. Elves can't do anything about Stifle on Grapeshot.

As for the deck, I would cut Priest of Titania to add more Quirion Rangers. One mana elf is better than two mana elf in the combo version.

Also, I think you are playing too many lands. Just because you don't have Cradles doesn't mean you should play more lands instead. Cradles is actually more of a Ritual spell in elves, not a land. I would cut a few forests to add a few Green Sun's Zeniths. GSZ is good for finding missing elves and good for not decking yourself while generating lots of mana. Remember you don't have to find anything with it and they untap your Nettles. Also, I would switch the Pendlehaven to Dryad Arbor. A one of Pendlehaven that can't be tutored will usually just eat wastelands when you need the land.

Edit: Your sideboard probably needs something like Vexing Shusher to fight counterspells. Natural Order + Progenitus is good against all sorts of decks. With the sound of your meta you probably want some grave hate, surgical and/or fairie macabre are good because they cost no mana.
    I'd say 17 lands is the correct number. I'd just go down on Priests and Fyndhorn's and add what's necessary there. I don't think you need 8 mana dudes.

I'm thinking I want to go up to the full 4 Rangers, They're great mid-combo.
    Also, I've been playing with the idea of 1-of Shusher MD.
    Maybe -2 Fyndhorn, -2 Priest, +3 Ranger, +1 Shusher

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I'd say 17 lands is the correct number. .
    I'm not sure. I run 15 and i see them everyday the whole day!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    I'm not sure. I run 15 and i see them everyday the whole day!
    I tried running 15 for the good part of 3 months and had to mulligan too many times to my liking. I prefer 18, I find it to be far more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I tried running 15 for the good part of 3 months and had to mulligan too many times to my liking. I prefer 18, I find it to be far more consistent.
    Ok, if you playtest led to that i respect it. My playtesting led me to excesive land drawing, hating land drawing. however i'd not run less than 15 lands. Maybe this information could be usefull i run:

4 Llanowar
    3 Rangers (maybe it must be a 4 off)
    4 Archdruids
    4 Zeniths
    1 Dryad Arbor

On another line, do you guys run Viridian shaman MD??

I'm having difficulty casting Emrakul a fair bit of the time. Until I can get a hold of some Cradles I'm sticking with the Grapeshot plan, I think. Having both seems pretty good, though. Also, Emrakul makes me want my Priests back.
    And I love Shaman MD, it answers a lot of hate. Does a lot for the MUD mu.

So what does anyone think of Pact vs Zenith? It seems most of you guys are running Zenith, but I can't imagine having to pay 1G to fish out a Sentinel or Heritage Druid is good. Is being better in setup worth that much?

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1056 View Post
    I'm having difficulty casting Emrakul a fair bit of the time. Until I can get a hold of some Cradles I'm sticking with the Grapeshot plan, I think. Having both seems pretty good, though. Also, Emrakul makes me want my Priests back.
    And I love Shaman MD, it answers a lot of hate. Does a lot for the MUD mu.

So what does anyone think of Pact vs Zenith? It seems most of you guys are running Zenith, but I can't imagine having to pay 1G to fish out a Sentinel or Heritage Druid is good. Is being better in setup worth that much?
    In the more combo oriented lists you want Pact the most for the reasons you mentioned, but typically GSZ is run along side it or instead of it in the less comboish lists.

Shaman is great for Jitte and Batterskull.

Once you are comboing off reaching fifteen mana is rarely a problem, especially with GSZs in your list.

Jun 2010
    Germany

my current set-up of 1-drops (except obv. 4 nettle/heritage/symbiote):
    4 Llanowar Elves
    2 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Birchlore Rangers
    2 Quirion Ranger

Would you encourage me to cut Fyndhorns and play 4 Quirions? Or is it fine like that?
    I'm playing GW with Mirror Entity

Would you encourage me to cut Fyndhorns and play 4 Quirions? Or is it fine like that?
    Yeah. I play everyday 2 Fyndhorns, 2 Llanowar and 4 Quirion. ;)

Creature - Elf Wizard
    Aug 2011
    Campinas, SP, Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by blind View Post
    Yeah. I play everyday 2 Fyndhorns, 2 Llanowar and 4 Quirion. ;)
    Hey blind, could I see your current list?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    my current set-up of 1-drops (except obv. 4 nettle/heritage/symbiote):
    4 Llanowar Elves
    2 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Birchlore Rangers
    2 Quirion Ranger

I'm playing GW with Mirror Entity
    The GW Mirror Entity lists (I'm assuming your list is modeled after Chris Anderson's list) are more midrange-y and less all-in on the combo kill. If you are playing the deck to be midrange-y then you don't need the full 4 Quirion Ranger. So your deck as is should be fine. However, if you feel like converting to the combo-centric lists that kill with Emrakul or Grapeshot, then perhaps 4 Quirion Ranger would be more appropriate.

Do note that there is alot of variation between lists, especially when it comes to this deck archetype. Just because some guy on a forum says to use 4 vs 2 vs 3 vs whatever doesn't mean he is speaking the gospel truth. Test it first and see how you feel.

The GW Mirror Entity lists (I'm assuming your list is modeled after Chris Anderson's list) are more midrange-y and less all-in on the combo kill. If you are playing the deck to be midrange-y then you don't need the full 4 Quirion Ranger. So your deck as is should be fine. However, if you feel like converting to the combo-centric lists that kill with Emrakul or Grapeshot, then perhaps 4 Quirion Ranger would be more appropriate.

Do note that there is alot of variation between lists, especially when it comes to this deck archetype. Just because some guy on a forum says to use 4 vs 2 vs 3 vs whatever doesn't mean he is speaking the gospel truth. Test it first and see how you feel.
    I can't really agree with you there. Anderson's list isn't a midrange list but a full comboish list. He has just removed the bad cards (Emrakul and pacts). A midrange list would be closer to my list including the Fauna/Vengevine package that grants a real aggro plan.
    His list IS based on Glimpse. Quirion ranger is really that good in this type of strategy. Indeed, he's great in combo mode, does protect from wasteland and offers an additional solution against jitte (see dryad arbor). I will always be playing 4 quirion above 2 llanowar elves like. We virtually have 8 llanowarish elves including the 4 GSZ, which is far from being unsufficient.

Hey blind, could I see your current list?
    Nowdays, I don't really got any. No matter what list we run, the UW Miracle match up is insanely bad and I haven't find a real solution yet.
    Anderson's list seems sexy to me (I was into the same kind of list playing mono green) but she's lacking some tutors. Unfortunately, I don't want to play pact or chord and running fauna without vengevine seems disappointing to me...

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Chris Anderson himself qualifies his list as "actually a grindy midrange deck first and a combo deck second". (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...vesPrimer.html)

While true that his list uses Glimpse, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's *based* on Glimpse. In his list, Glimpse is just gravy. It's a bonus. You don't actually need to cast it to win. But if you do cast it, well, that's great too. In the other combo-centric lists, you are kinda bleh without resolving at least one Glimpse.

I can see how you might prefer to run the full 8 Untappers (Wirewood Symbiote/Quirion Ranger) because you are also using Fauna Shaman, which makes your list hungry for untap effects. But in Anderson's list specifically, I don't feel that the 2 extra Quirion Rangers are necessary. I'm not saying it's a poor card, but the list is very tight as it is and Quirion is just the weakest of the elves, as far as Anderson's list is concerned.

And I'm not a huge fan of cutting back on Llanowar/Fyndhorns just because we can fetch Dryad Arbor with GSZ. Those GSZs are valuable and I'd rather not run them out on the first turn unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather run the 5-7 Llanowar effects and try to hit those on the first turn, holding my GSZ for later action.

Thread Information