Page 76 of 179 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3566

Thread: [Deck] Elves Combo

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: [Deck] Elves Combo

Post board the important thing is to try to race out as many Lords as possible. You bring in 1 Elvish Champion and keep one to Wish for so that your total count is 13, with 9 ways to get evasion going. You also want to prepare for Jitte early by getting out Symbiotes. But the main emphasis should be on making sure that Plagues don't kill you.

That's based on my testing/tournament experience, which isn't that extensive really. There might be more strategies here that I'm missing. Just don't empty your hand without having out a Lord, preferably two.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

RE Junk... (goes for any White or Black deck too)
    Bring in Krosan Grip for Canonist/Plague. Be wary of running out a bunch of elves w/o a Lord effect (or two). Try to hold back as many creatures as possible to make the most out of your Glimpses. Prey they don't run Sinkhole or Hymn your land drops.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

If they're a major metagame presence, one of the best cards against Junk is probably Wilt-Leaf Liege. I don't agree with the holding back a full hand suggestion, though. I think you want to race out a full board as soon as possible, as Canonist and Jitte are actually even harder to deal with than Plague. You just have to try and make sure that you're not overexposed to Plague. It seems like kind of a balancing act.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Is Elvish Skysweeper a terrible out to Emmy/Iona? Normally I don't try to post budget ideas on the competitive boards, but I can't for the life of me afford a Karakas with stuff that's going on. Furthermore, Skysweeper does actually stop a sneaked Emmy (which Karakas does not) and has the same vulnerability to a reanimated Iona.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

When it comes out, Phyrexian Metamorph will probably be better than Karakas anyway, since it answers Progenitus as well.

In Elves it might be worth running several of those in the board, to be able to bring in extra answers to big Legendary guys that at worst turn into expensive versions of any elves you already have out.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Also deals with Jitte, as a side note.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Holy shit you're right.

I'm pretty sure that warrants a 3-of at least.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Dodges Iona unless they want us to combo them out, too.

Question: What would be the best way to deal with Pyrokinesis out of Goblin boards? The same method one uses to prevent sweepers?
    -ktkenshinx-

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

That or try to slowroll a Priest, combo off in a single turn. Not like you have to worry about discard.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

True enough. Preboard the match seems fairly easy though. Lackey will only get through if they're lucky, and Siege-gang and Gempalm are a tad slow to stop the deck from shitting bodies.
    -ktkenshinx-

Another Post!!!
    Jul 2010

In my experience pact pretty much has never lost me a game except when I forget to pay for it (now I just put a die over my deck so i don't forget). I have tested it in tournaments such as SGC San Jose and a few 16 player tournaments. I really think the cons of GSZ are worse than Pacts upkeep cost.
    Oooooops I forgot to pay for my Summoner's Pact upkeep cost . Edit undo

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm ok with losing to Iona (dredge, reanimator), but we can race an Emrakul. Metamorph seems more cute than useful - Krosan Grip already answers Jitte, Canonist, and Plague. Grip solves a lot more problems than Metamorph does (Progenitus? I mean really we have 2 turns to win as it is, how much time do you need?)
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Or have answers to all of them in a wishboard? It's really not that hard to pull off.
    -ktkenshinx-

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

My experiences with Pact is that I die more often to it than 1/30 times. People really wait to do all kind of nasty tricks to kill you with it.

I still run 4pact/4wish with 4 priest / 4 archdruid.
    Having 8 lords I dont think it is too often necessary to tutor for them to set up the combo, because you just draw them more naturally.
    So the often discussed Turn 2 play with pact for archdruid is not my favourite thing to do and I think this specific situation has been stressed too much.

The biggest reason to run pact for me is that you are actually able to combo off without an active mana-lord or in other tight situations, where GSZ is simply not enough (+1 mana, -1 draw with symbiote).

I totally aggree that the list with 4GSZ is more resilient vs. countermagic/removal, but you loose your biggest weapon: speed ... I think the of interaction with our opponent makes it necessary to put them under a lot of pressure. T1: elf, T2: lord, T3: glimpse/regal force + ~5 elves + 5 cards sets up a turn 4 win. I can recall many situations where it would be devastating to give them an extra turn.... Decks like entchantress, affinity, high-tide, painted-stone and burn can just try to race you without bothering. Control gets perish or some silver bullet to stop you and you suddenly have to deal with Jitte or equipments which K2 mostly smiles at. ANT/TES .. well no comment.

I will still test both options, but to IBA and K2, I don't think you can black/white this question. Both cards have their strength and I don't think it is that easy to say 1 is clearly better...As mentioned: also meta dependent.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Against StP, Force and Spell Pierce? I mean Bant is a pretty favorable matchup on the whole, I think, but when they get a Progenitus down things can get ugly pretty quickly. I'm also not okay with just losing to Reanimator and Dredge.

Also racing an Emrakul seems like a terrible idea.

I definitely think it replaces Karakas, although the idea of bringing in multiples just might be an overreaction to losing to Iona over the weekend with Force backup for my Living Wish.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Yeah, that can be rough. I don't think multiples are really necessary, though. If they counter one, just go for E. Witness with another. Also, this deck's combo is fairly slow, as far as combo decks go, so I value resilience and a stronger aggro plan over goldfish speed.
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Yeah, that can be rough. I don't think multiples are really necessary, though. If they counter one, just go for E. Witness with another. Also, this deck's combo is fairly slow, as far as combo decks go, so I value resilience and a stronger aggro plan over goldfish speed.
    How is this even possible with Iona on green? Like I said, there is not much we can do outside of anticipate Iona entering play next turn. Once she's out, we're toast. Against Show n Tell -> Emrakul - we just drop a lord and attempt to go off on our turn. Against Show n Tell -> Progenitus, this gives us 2.5 turns to combo off. Against NO -> Pro, this gives us 1 to 1.5 turns to go off. All these situations happen on turn 3 or 4. This isn't enough time to win with Glimpse/tutors?
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

We're talking about Reanimator here - it's not difficult to pick out. Look for Personal Tutor, Entomb, that sort of thing. And then G2, you can just bring in Phyrexian Metamorph (Or Skysweeper, I don't care) via Wish prior to getting Iona'd out of the game.
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    We're talking about Reanimator here - it's not difficult to pick out. Look for Personal Tutor, Entomb, that sort of thing. And then G2, you can just bring in Phyrexian Metamorph (Or Skysweeper, I don't care) via Wish prior to getting Iona'd out of the game.
    Ok granted. I would still prefer Karakas however, as it's uncounterable. I also doubt this deck could even be a serious choice in tournaments, as Mental Misstep completely obliterate's this deck's chances.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Oh, bullshit. It's a 1-for-1 counter, it's not going to destroy the deck. Vary your gameplan. Hell, play GSZ.
    -ktkenshinx-

Thread Information