Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competitive Eternal Format Coming

Re: New Competitive Eternal Format Coming

Not sure why you'd play ANT in this format when you could play EntombHulk, which unless I'm missing something obvious don't lose anything (aside from Body Snatcher, but meh). ANT would gain Mind's Desire if you wanted it though.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    I suppose this is fake, but hypothetically: legacy was, as far as I can see, created as a cheaper alternative to vintage. Now that Legacy has become so popular, legacy itself has become rather expensive. Creating a cheap alternative to legacy is just running around in circles.
    ^

This. One million times over. Just reprint those staples and make money. Don't make people irritated because you create a new "eternal" format every 3 and 4 years while letting the older "eternal" format die. If this is true, it's just retarded.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Uhm, I'm not very excited about this possible new format. I love to play legacy because I get to play the cards I used to play when I started. Legacy to me is fascinating because of Duals, Force, Plow, Sinkhole, Tabernacle, Mox Diamond... and so on. For a coincidence, I stopped playing right during the Masques block, so the new format would have very small appeal to me. As a side note, this will probably mean there will be no more support to legacy, which will likely slowly decline like Vintage did.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Whats wrong with Legacy anyhow?

Price for the most part. I mean being a broke college player I can play one of two good decks: Goblins or Merfolk.
    hmm... yeah yeah yeah

Surely WotC is preparing its next marketing bomb by trashing the thriving Legacy community to replace it with a dumb poor post-Masques format.

WotC have no hidden social wealthare agenda. They're in it to make money targeting rich youngsters from upper middle-class who can buy few boxes to get those lovely 4-of Mythics.

But don't worry, they'll keep you in the frame. You're a college student, you'll be a wealthy young professional soon. But they'd rather get you hooked on cracking few packs for draft than any eternal format whatsoever..

WotC make money selling boxes and developping online format, end of

So, uh everyone ready to see all Ad Nauseam top 8's? Well you'd better get ready. If all of this information I see people playing Ad Nauseam all over the place since it and zoo are the only decks that really don't lose too much (I mean top tier decks) and Ad Nauseam owns zoo in the correct hands. Really. Its not even fair. I think the first few months of this format at least are going to be reminiscent of Raffinity in Mirrodin Block. You either play the boogeyman or play to beat the boogeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by TFD View Post
    So, uh everyone ready to see all Ad Nauseam top 8's? Well you'd better get ready. If all of this information I see people playing Ad Nauseam all over the place since it and zoo are the only decks that really don't lose too much (I mean top tier decks) and Ad Nauseam owns zoo in the correct hands. Really. Its not even fair. I think the first few months of this format at least are going to be reminiscent of Raffinity in Mirrodin Block. You either play the boogeyman or play to beat the boogeyman.
    Why do you think Merf won't roll ANT all day instead? Losing FoW sucks, but they have other options and can MD stifle x 4 to fill the void vs combo too.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerdog View Post
    Why do you think Merf won't roll ANT all day instead? Losing FoW sucks, but they have other options and can MD stifle x 4 to fill the void vs combo too.
    Yeah, because as everyone knows, Stifle>Tendrils. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by VeniVidiVici View Post
    Not sure why you'd play ANT in this format when you could play EntombHulk, which unless I'm missing something obvious don't lose anything (aside from Body Snatcher, but meh). ANT would gain Mind's Desire if you wanted it though.
    .....because Entomb Hulk is a bad deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
    hmm... yeah yeah yeah

Surely WotC is preparing its next marketing bomb by trashing the thriving Legacy community to replace it with a dumb poor post-Masques format.
    The fact that Legacy has the best community gives us a lot of momentum to pull through the change. Monthly tournaments in Vestal, NY draw regularly 80-90+ people, some of whom drive for 5 hours one way to get there. My local store gets it's largest draw on free Legacy tournaments (we rotate every Sunday, last week's Extended only had 8, Legacy gets over 20 every time). And, of course, GP Madrid had 2200 people. So I don't think this would make a big dent in Legacy numbers. New people can still be drawn in once they get disgruntled with this new format.

The mad statistician
    Nov 2009

In such a format, they would undoubtedly tailor a banlist to the new format. This banlist would mirror the existing Legacy banlist, and would be designed to maximize format health. The following cards would undoubtedly be ported from the preexisting list.

Flash (6th Edition)
    Gush (MM)
    Mind's Desire (Scourge)
    Skullclamp (Darksteel)
    Vampiric Tutor (6th Edition)

You will notice that Worldgorger Dragon is not on this list. This combo might absolutely be allowed into the format, given that Animate Dead, Necromancy, and Dance of the Dead are all gone. Off the top of my head, there are no suitable substitutes for these cards in the deck.
    Now, in addition to these cards, the following might also have to be banned for the sake of format health.

Aether Vial (just as it is currently banned in Extended)
    Disciple of the Vault (would prove to be out of control in an Alara/Mirrodin affinity deck)
    Entomb (Just as it was banned in Extended before the rotation)
    Ad Nauseum (degenerate combo ala Mind's Desire)

I am likely missing some cards, but this list would ostensibly make for a healthy format. A lot of decks would still exist in one form or the other, and new archetypes would arise or come back from the dead. It would be both an economically sound and a player-oriented format.

One question that people might have regards Dredge/Hulk/Reanimator and other powerful graveyard based decks. Even if Entomb were not banned, and I assure you, it would be, these decks would still be kept in check by the same graveyard hate. Crypt, Relic, Trap, Leyline are all still in this new format. As such, many decks would not have to be totally nerfed or banned into oblivion (read: Dredge). While Wizards might do this, and I hope they do not, it is not a necessary move on their part.

-ktkenshinx-

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Counterbalance and Top would still be legal in this format as well as Meddling Mage, Gaddock Teeg and Ethersworn Canonist, all these cards are usually much more important than Force to kill Combodecks as they get around Orim's Chant and Duress. Spell Pierce and Dispel would also be still available. In case you are worried about turn 1 combo run Chrome Mox as people did when Flash was Legal with Baseruption.

All this left aside this new format would just circumvent the problem for some years and split up the community again. Don't think it will happen.
    TS Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Shugyosha View Post
    Counterbalance and Top would still be legal in this format as well as Meddling Mage, Gaddock Teeg and Ethersworn Canonist, all these cards are usually much more important than Force to kill Combodecks as they get around Orim's Chant and Duress. Spell Pierce and Dispel would also be still available. In case you are worried about turn 1 combo run Chrome Mox as people did when Flash was Legal with Baseruption.

All this left aside this new format would just circumvent the problem for some years and split up the community again. Don't think it will happen.
    The one problem is solves is that it can ignore the reserve list and reprint any legal cards for the format. On the other hand, not now, but in 5 or so years, it might kill legacy. :/

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

On one hand, it's sad that they will probably want to kill legacy just like they killed vintage because their stubborness and lack of common sense.

On the other hand, extended is less popular than legacy, and as long as that's the case, I don't think there's anything to fear for the introduction of a new fo(W-less)rmat.

This is a TERRIBLE idea. I mean, seriously, wtf?

"We made a dumb decision on the reserved list so we're going to make a goofy hybrid extended format that nobody wants or will like."

Just go ahead and implement CYoS already. There's at least a lot of potential and interest in that format. They can start it on MTGO, where enforcement isn't a problem, then see how it does before deciding whether or not to migrate it to paper as a "cheap" alternative to Legacy.

I mean, if MODO isn't there to help them test out new specialty formats, then why do they run other random specialty formats on it?

This idea smacks way, way to much of dumbassery squared with deuchebaggery.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

The only thing that makes me wonder about the validity of this is the point of view of Wizards themselves. They have no real good reason to create "Overextended" or whatever it would be called. When extended was created it wasn't exactly popular and now trying to basically recreate it would make it compete against the decently popular Extended and the hugely popular Legacy. It's a formula for instant disaster. It makes no sense even from a marketing view. What would they stand to gain and lose? They stand to lose a lot by alienating people that play in the surrounding formats. They gain...Nothing....a new format that will be played, but barely? This is shooting yourself in the foot only.

"Overextended" would only be a way to get out of the Reserve list lock, but that's the only thing it serves and that's not a good enough reason when there's already ways around their little self imposed chastity belt.

Just do a CYOS format Wizards. Its more challenging, easier to play for the Standard crew and dare I say, more balanced.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

This would be the BEST FORMAT EVER if they banned Top and kept Vampiric Tutor legal. That way I could play Netherhaups, which is ... probably the coolest deck of all times.

I actually really like the idea of this format. Counterbalance would totally fucking blow since CCs of cards will be all over the place instead of 2 and under. Decks like: Fires, Combo Elves, Enduring Ideal, TEPS, Goblin Bidding, and others would be very cool to see played and most likely will. Being a combo player, I have no problem if they banned ANT. I really just want to play with Mind's Desire (which is inferior) but still cool.

Hell, we might even see a Counter-Rebel comeback! The only blue-based control deck that is actually interesting!
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So to be honest, I didn't read anything past the first five posts in this thread.

That being said, here's why I think this is just a rumor and will not be happening.

Roughly 30% of MTG's revenue comes from MTGO sales. Large portion of this is current set drafting and ticket sales, sure, but there is a growing following of Legacy online. The OP states a proposed format that is essentially Extended-Plus. Anything from Masques onward. Two large problems I see with this new format:

1) Masques isn't even released on MTGO, and not anytime soon will we be seeing Peat Bogs coming online. For a company that is trying to align both paper and online aspects of the game towards a unified play structure, this rumor fails.

2) The price of IPA cards online is redonkulous. Creating this format will achieve the exact opposite of the "no more expensive cards" idea that is being mentioned as a catalyst for the new format. Sure, you won't need dual lands, but what about those Pernicious Deeds, Vindicate, etc.

That being said, I do agree that there needs to be a format that bridges the gap between Legacy and Extended. However, the rumor stated in the OP seems far too farfetched for Wizards to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction
    we might even see a Counter-Rebel comeback! The only blue-based control deck that is actually interesting!
    There is nothing interesting about the Rebel scum. It's actually more boring to play than Landstill... hey wait a minute... :)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction View Post
    This would be the BEST FORMAT EVER if they banned Top and kept Vampiric Tutor legal. That way I could play Netherhaups, which is ... probably the coolest deck of all times.

I actually really like the idea of this format. Counterbalance would totally fucking blow since CCs of cards will be all over the place instead of 2 and under. Decks like: Fires, Combo Elves, Enduring Ideal, TEPS, Goblin Bidding, and others would be very cool to see played and most likely will. Being a combo player, I have no problem if they banned ANT. I really just want to play with Mind's Desire (which is inferior) but still cool.

Hell, we might even see a Counter-Rebel comeback! The only blue-based control deck that is actually interesting!
    Umm... Vamp Tutor wouldn't be in the format... too old.

EDIT

And for those getting nostalgic... old bad (compared to now) decks won't win... You will see: Tendrils combo, counterbalance decks (remember it was dominating Ext two seasons ago, and since we've seen more solid cards, DDT (that may overlap with CB decks), thresh variants (overlap again), zoo, merf, goblins, burn (which is actually solid b/c shocklands <3 burn decks), and probably no stompy, although it could happen, minus cot/at. You might see 1-2 older decks do alright I guess... but I'd hate to have to play with them against the above decks.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by walkerdog View Post
    Umm... Vamp Tutor wouldn't be in the format... too old.
    It was in 6th Edition, which was legal at the same time as Mercadian Masques.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    It was in 6th Edition, which was legal at the same time as Mercadian Masques.
    oh! good call then... more likely to be banned than CB though.

Thread Information