Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competitive Eternal Format Coming

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: New Competitive Eternal Format Coming

Legal with Masques doesn't mean it came out afterwards. Rather, 6th Edition came out the summer before Masques hit, after Saga block (and fundamentally made Morphling into Superman). If they stick to Masques+, then 6th Edition is ruled out of legality.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Legal with Masques doesn't mean it came out afterwards. Rather, 6th Edition came out the summer before Masques hit, after Saga block (and fundamentally made Morphling into Superman). If they stick to Masques+, then 6th Edition is ruled out of legality.
    Not necessarily. It came out in the same year as Mercadian Masques, so feasibly the beginning point would be MM + 6th edition. It wouldn't make sense to skip two years ahead for the first legal core set.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

It would if you look at what sets are available on MTGO.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Currently possessed
    Mar 2008
    Rosemont, IL

So, assuming this new format is indeed true. That, having as their solution to the problem for legacy as the barrier for entrance is indeed high. Since they'll be supporting the format, as claimed by the original poster. We could imagine a pretty big turn out, however, the shock-lands that will be replacing the current dual lands, as well as the would be new staples. With such a high demand all the sudden for such cards, and card store's greed factoring in big time. Wouldn't the result remain the same?
    Always looking for more people to play in the Chicago area. Anyone interested send me a PM.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

If this is true (which I doubt), why would they choose the starting point to be MM?

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Maybe because it's after the broken-ness of Urza block?
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

I would never play in this kind of format. No way, legacy is just great, many people play and there is no point of stopping it.
    Hope WotC won't kill legacy.
    Team Stimato

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    He told you a foil from Time Spiral was Summer?
    This man must be a Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    If this is true (which I doubt), why would they choose the starting point to be MM?
    Because that's when the Reserved List ends, maybe?

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    It would if you look at what sets are available on MTGO.
    Fail. Mercadian Masques isn't even available on MTGO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    It would be the only format in this theorectical format that would be missing, plus they need a really good reaon to get people to draft that awful set.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Yep, which is why I think this is a false rumor. Nothing about this smells well thought out. (Which is how WotC likes to operate anyway)
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Banned

Mar 2010
    Unwanted islands

#52 posts later and this thread hasnt been closed why ?

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Aside from the fact that the OP had 1 post and isn't credible in the slightest, try this:

Legacy is on MTGO, Wizards could do an MTGO Legacy Pro Tour and "print" as many Force of Wills, USeas, Trops, etc as everyone needed (and they'd spend a boatload of cash too while they're at it) without breaking their Reserve List policy.

I honestly don't see why there can't be a Legacy PT or Legacy PTQ season. Saying "The prices and quantities just don't allow for it" without any quantitative analysis to back it up, is, and always will be, bullshit. Show some math before you start making claims.

Mar 2010
    Canada, New-Brunswick

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    the introduction of a new fo(W-less)rmat.
    haha! nice ;p

Ofc, it would make a ton more sense to rework parts of the reserved list and support legacy... however, since this is obviously not going to happen, I suppose Legacy-Lite is worth a try (if it exists).

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

I'm not reading three pages of this when I called this a couple months ago.

Who's the man? Jeff's the man.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

So mind's desire takes all?

If there is such a format, Mind's Desire will likely be banned. It was banned in Legacy and restricted in vintage before it was even released.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Just reprint those staples and make money.
    But that's the whole problem. Reprint the cards and the whole game collapses because no one can trust Wizards any more, so there is no point in owning cards, and people just play with proxies. If reprinting cards is not an option, at least when it comes to the Legacy staples, then this is the next best thing.

After all, if you can't have what you really want, doesn't it make sense to try to make do with something almost as good that you can get?

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by quadibloc View Post
    But that's the whole problem. Reprint the cards and the whole game collapses because no one can trust Wizards any more.
    Heh, you weren't there when Wizards finished support of the Magic Encyclopedia all of the sudden, were you? It's far worse for the game having them not reprinting the cards than the other way around. It's the difference between having a game with players and having a game without them. And the problem only gets worse every year. Restricted availability is what will collapse the game, and not some reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by quadibloc View Post
    But that's the whole problem. Reprint the cards and the whole game collapses because no one can trust Wizards any more, so there is no point in owning cards, and people just play with proxies. If reprinting cards is not an option, at least when it comes to the Legacy staples, then this is the next best thing.

After all, if you can't have what you really want, doesn't it make sense to try to make do with something almost as good that you can get?
    Overdramatic much? Given the number of people who want the reserved list abolished, there are plenty of people who would like Wizards more if they did that. I'm not saying that means they should remove the list, but to say the game would collapse is ridiculous. People realize that Wizards' motive is simple: to make as much money as possible, regardless of other things.

Thread Information