Thread: When to actually use the Mirage Fetchlands

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

When to actually use the Mirage Fetchlands

The Mirage Fetchlands:

Alright, I am pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that do not have a complete playset of Onslaught Fetchlands. This discussion is about when to use Mirage Fetchlands. This discussion is not strictly for budget purposes. This discussion is also for which decks could actually utilize them.

Would running Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds be simply better than the Mirage Fetchlands?

Here are the pros and cons:

Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds:
    + enters the field untapped
    - only fetches basic
    - the land it fetches enters the field tapped

Mirage Fetchlands:
    + can fetch duals with basic types (so for budget players, you can fetch Shocklands)
    + the land it fetches enters the field untapped
    - comes into play tapped

So which one would be better? Also, which decks can use what as an alternative without being detrimental to the deck itself?

Discuss.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Re: When to actually use the Mirage Fetchlands

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Alright, I am pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that do not have a complete playset of Onslaught Fetchlands. This discussion is about when to use Mirage Fetchlands. This discussion is not strictly for budget purposes. This discussion is also for which decks could actually utilize them.

Would running Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds be simply better than the Mirage Fetchlands?

Here are the pros and cons:

Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds:
    + enters the field untapped
    - only fetches basic
    - the land it fetches enters the field tapped

Mirage Fetchlands:
    + can fetch duals with basic types (so for budget players, you can fetch Shocklands)
    + the land it fetches enters the field untapped
    - comes into play tapped

So which one would be better? Also, which decks can use what as an alternative without being detrimental to the deck itself?

Discuss.
    In a format as tempo-oriented as Legacy there is no deck that would use either of these and not suffer tremendously for it. There's a reason things like the WWK manlands don't see any play, and it's not because they're not powerful - it's because coming into play tapped is such an insurmountable drawback. Giving up your turn one play to find a land just means you're going to lose to the guy who can find the same land while making his own turn one play.

That said, the Mirage fetchlands are marginally less shitty because they can find dual lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    That said, the Mirage fetchlands are marginally less shitty because they can find dual lands.
    The Mirage fetches also get hit with wasteland while they've got their pants down. It's not like you've got to watch out for those in this format or anything... oh wait.

If you can get away with running basics, and you're not put off by not having mana on the first turn, then Expanse is probably the better choice. As much as I want to like the Mirage fetches, I just don't feel like they have a real spot (unless you're epic enough to run Amulet of Vigor :P )
    Today is under construction
    Thank you for understanding.

The modern (Zendikar) fetchlands are very very cheap. If you can't get a hold of them, I don't know what you're playing, but it sure as hell can't have duals in it, so fetchlands don't even matter.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by puppektion View Post
    The Mirage fetches also get hit with wasteland while they've got their pants down. It's not like you've got to watch out for those in this format or anything... oh wait.

If you can get away with running basics, and you're not put off by not having mana on the first turn, then Expanse is probably the better choice. As much as I want to like the Mirage fetches, I just don't feel like they have a real spot (unless you're epic enough to run Amulet of Vigor :P )
    Sure. But this argument is basically like saying, "Which is the better car, the Pinto or the Yugo?" The answer is always, "They're awful, but the one least likely to randomly kill you is probably the Yugo." There's no reason to run Terramorphic Expanse or its friend to find basics when you could use the Onslaught or Zendikar fetches to do the same, and run some duals on the side. What playable deck in this format doesn't have any turn one plays at all?

May 2005

Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Even during Tempest/Stronghold days when we ran those in Keeper decks (flooded plain mainly), it was virtually unbearable. It's really rough since at the time Wasteland was around. Ignoring the fact that Strip Mine and Waseland were both in the format unrestricted at the same time they were pretty bad. Even after Strip Mine took the hit, they still garnered maybe a one of at best.

These days, the decks are probably several turns faster than those back then. I can't picture them ever coming out of the commons box to grace anything other than an EDH deck.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Aren't they just budget fetchlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Aren't they just budget fetchlands?
    That's what I think they are. They are cool for budget or casual decks.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Sigged.

Also agreeing with Anusien that the Zendikar fetches are cheap and plentiful. Also, a large percentage of the time at least, you're likely to prefer them anyway (have you seen Flooded Strands in Thresh recently? or Polluted Delta in Eva Green?).
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Jank Slayer
    Dec 2009
    Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by General_Norris View Post
    That's what I think they are. They are cool for budget or casual decks.
    They work fine for me at my local shop - not everybody in my local scene has a playset of Wasteland. Also, I get off on the "What the fuck is that?" factor.
    David Sutherland * the Dallas Crab

Mar 2007
    RI

Yea this cycle of Fetches is just unplayable in Legacy. There was some argument/rationalization behind the budget aspect of them pre-Zendikar, but with Zen Fetches there is absolutely no argument for running these in any deck.
    TPDMC

I can see a couple of theoretical corner cases where Thawing Glaciers, Terramorphic Expanse, and Evolving Wilds might be better choices than regular ONS/ZEN fetches, but there really just isn't that kind of situation with the Mirage ones. They're just strictly worse. Maybe in a CYOS type of format they'd have value, but that's about all I can come up with.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    The modern (Zendikar) fetchlands are very very cheap. If you can't get a hold of them, I don't know what you're playing, but it sure as hell can't have duals in it, so fetchlands don't even matter.

Thread Information