Thread: [SCD] Weathered Wayfarer

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[SCD] Weathered Wayfarer

Weathered Wayfarer

You can tell that I am a total noob when I dont really get why is this card on the rise. The card has seen recent rise in price in my area. I know it sees plays in Forbiddian's U/W Tempo-No Goyf-Land Hax-whaeveryoucallit.dec because of its apparent land control ability. I have also starting to see D&T/Boros deck variants running them.

Can anyone please explain how exactly this works? Outside U/W Tempo, can you actually build a land tool box deck out of it (along with Knight of the Reliquary)?

Thanks for helping a noob out!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [SCD] Weathered Wayfarer

What are you talking about? It costs a dollar online.

In B4 lock

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Well... I don't see why not.

You activate the Wayfarer in response to cracking Fetchlands/Wastes/Knight/Whatever so you have less lands than your opponent and you go find more. If it's a viable strategy or not I couldn't tell you, you'd have to try it out.

Edit: Yeah, also SCG has them listed at $1.50, maybe your store is just trying to screw you.

It's hard to see how this is going to be all that good in legacy. You're trading a card and tempo () for a card. That said, there aren't very many generic land tutoring cards in the game, so it *might* have some potential in a deck where you can use it to pull some key card.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's hard to see how this is going to be all that good in legacy. You're trading a card and tempo () for a card. That said, there aren't very many generic land tutoring cards in the game, so it *might* have some potential in a deck where you can use it to pull some key card.
    Obviously the point isn't to use it just once, although if you do, what you get is the deal you said + a free 1/1. (That is, both cardwise and mana-wise free.)

For a 1/1 that doesn't cost a card in hand, I'd certainly pay W. Alternatively, for a 1/1 that does cost a card in hand, I'd probably play it for 0 mana. Thus, in the first case you just have to think of the ability to pull some lands as being worth W*# of lands pulled, and in the latter case a somewhat more complicated formula. I pull an average of 2 lands with early game wayfarers, and about 1 with lategame wayfarers. For two lands, the deal is:
    for WWW (spread out) you get a 1/1 and 2 lands.

If you're good at magic, then you should able to make it so that wayfarer's ability is better than a card draw. The reason is you should create your deck so that wayfarer's fetching is exactly taken into account properly so that you replace land draws with spell draws. So now it's at least as good, but since you choose the land you tutor, it's better than the average card draw. UWT's strategy is (Correctly) risk averse with respect to mana screw, so what that means is we didn't lower our land count as aggressively as possible. This means wayfarer's ability about draws a card on average, but in some games where they're actually trying to mana screw you, it's much better than a card draw.
    Last edited by T is for TOOL; 04-22-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Not helpful.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I've had about enough of this shit.

The constant back and forth between the people who are developing UW Tempo and the people who are convinced they're wasting their time is over.

From now on, I'm instating a policy of banning anyone who is involved in these conversations - on either side of the fence. You've all spent the last two weeks making this site look foolish. I'm done with it.

Consider this your first and second warning, all of you.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

My gut tells me that this thread was simply started to troll the UW Tempo guys. Lock-down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

OH SNAP! Double Admin beatdown.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    It's still unlocked... In before the relock I guess.
    Sneaky indeed.

Seriously though. This silly UW Tempo fight between the UW fan-boys and the trolls has really become a mod headache. If you hate the deck, don't post about it. If you love the deck, post about it in the UW Tempo thread. Not every thread needs to point out the awesomeness or the lameness of UW Tempo. Not every thread needs to mention which side of the UW fence you sit on.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I've had about enough of this shit.

The constant back and forth between the people who are developing UW Tempo and the people who are convinced they're wasting their time is over.

From now on, I'm instating a policy of banning anyone who is involved in these conversations - on either side of the fence. You've all spent the last two weeks making this site look foolish. I'm done with it.

Consider this your first and second warning, all of you.
    Count me in. This is one of the most obnoxious headaches I can remember and is making this site suck. Not every thread on this site is about UW Tempo.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I grew up on a houseboat in Spain.

Thread Information