Thread: Is this Created Card Broken 2

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Is this Created Card Broken 2

Alright, its my turn again to contribute to my playgroup's cube draft.

I've asked a card before if its broken and it was fixed to be balanced (Bloodline Cutter).

Now, I have come again to ask for help whether this card is balanced or not and what possible fixed it could use.

Here is the card:

Ban

Instant

Exile target spell then exile ~.

As long as ~ is exiled, all cards with the same name as cards exiled by ~ can't be cast.
    *thanks Glorfindel

Essentially, the design is to "ban" the casted card, but in the process, it going to ban itself so you can only use it once each game, given that it resolves.

First of all, did I word its text correctly? Second, is it balanced in terms of casting cost?

Once again, thanks for the help!

EDIT: If a similar card would actually see print, would it actually see play in Legacy?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Oct 2008

Re: Is this Created Card Broken 2

Well, the last ability only works when it's on the battlefield. So I would word it as:

Ban

Instant

Exile target spell and ~.

As long as ~ is exiled, all cards with the same name as cards exiled by ~ can't be cast.
    It has almost the same effect as Counterbore, which was quite underpowered at .
    Quash costs but can only target instants and sorceries.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

The main difference is that this card and Counterbore is that this card lets your opponent draw dead cards, which makes it better.

But actually you should do this:

Ban U
    Instant
    As Ban is being cast, name a card. The named card is banned until the game ends.
    Call a judge for a deckcheck. (A player with an invalid decklist gets a gameloss and a warning.)
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    The main difference is that this card and Counterbore is that this card lets your opponent draw dead cards, which makes it better.

But actually you should do this:

Ban U
    Instant
    As Ban is being cast, name a card. The named card is banned until the game ends.
    Call a judge for a deckcheck. (A player with an invalid decklist gets a gameloss and a warning.)
    LMAO thats just sadistic.

But yes, it is somehow better than Counterbore. It also gets around Wishes (some people use their SB to grab necessary spells via Wishes). Of course, once used, the card itself is a dead draw on your side. Well, at least you can pitch it to FoW or Brainstorm it back to your library (if it can be played in Legacy). Also, I like the idea of "banning" a card during a game.

I am editing the OP to correct the wording. Thanks Glorfindel
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

As far as the cards strength in constructed legacy, no where near broken. 4 mana for a counter spell just isn't good enough especially since if you run more than 1 you blank just as many of your own cards.

In cube, everything is a one of so this seems pretty terrible.

How is this any different than counter the spell and exile it?
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

The wording of Quash is better because it prevents misplays due to memory issues (specially after a lot of matches).

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Technically, it should say "...with the same name as a card exiled by..." Otherwise, if two cards were somehow exiled by ~, then it would only ban cards that had the name of all the removed cards, which would be nothing. Also, the word "all" in the quoted section is not necessary. Finally, the first line can be retemplated to match the language on the wish spells that exile themselves after doing something.
    The final version could look like this:

Exile target spell. Exile ~.
    As long as ~ is exiled, cards with the same name as a card exiled by ~ can't be cast.

or perhaps this:

Exile ~ and target spell.
    As long as ~ is exiled, cards with the same name as a card exiled by ~ can't be cast.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Thought Suppressor (3)
    Artifact
    When Thought Suppressor enters the battlefield, name a nonland card. Search target opponent's hand, library, and graveyard for all cards with that name and exile them, then that player shuffles his or her library.

When Thought Suppressor leaves the battlefield, shuffle all cards exiled by Thought Suppressor into their owners' libraries.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Thread Information