Thread: Vampires! Are they a viable legacy archeatype?

Vampires! Are they a viable legacy archeatype?

Vampires!

What does it take for a tribal archeatype to become legacy viable?

I'm not sure. But I believe that Vampires does have what it takes...

Disruption
    Wasteland
    Sinkhole
    Inquisition of Kozilek
    Thoughtseize
    Duress
    Hymn to Tourach
    Smother
    Snuff Out
    Shriekmaw

Utility
    Dark Ritual
    Aether Vial
    Reanimate
    Virulent Swipe
    Jitte
    Sign in Blood
    Skeletal Scrying
    Phyrexian Arena
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Mishra's Factory
    Cabal Pit
    Bojuka Bog

Strong Tribal Threats
    Pulse Tracker
    Vampire Lacerator
    Bloodghast
    Gatekeeper of Malakir
    Vampire Nighthawk
    Arrogant Bloodlord
    Vampire Nocturnus

Strong Nontribal Threats
    Dark Confidant
    Nantuko Shade
    Withered Wretch
    Hypnotic Specter
    Fairie Macabre
    Garza's Assassin
    Tombstalker

Weaker Tribal Threats
    Guul Draz Vampire
    Child of Night
    Kalastria Highborn
    Bloodhusk Ritualist
    Vampire Hexmage
    Malakir Bloodwitch
    Anowon, the Ruin Sage

It seems this tribe has access to a lot of great cards, and what it needs to compete with other legacy aggro decks atleast. Which begs the question, what do you feel is the correct approach to building such a deck? Which cards make the cut and which do not? Do nontribal creatures have a place in such a deck? Is there anything I may have left off?

I'm itching to build a Vampire themed legacy deck, so any tips, advice, or best of all, proposed decklists would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Vampires! Are they a viable legacy archeatype?

When building a tribal deck that isn't casual you have to ask yourself "Are the tribal benefits better than the risk of getting blown out by Engineered Plague?"

You only have 1 lord, he's 4cc, and your other creatures are just decent. There is really no reason to have a cutesy theme in magic like "vampires" when there are drawbacks and very limited benefits. Just splash some of them in mono black aggro or something.

Also, I swear this was a thread a month ago.

EDIT
    Close enough.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Well, you could possibly just take a Standard Vampire deck, sub in Legacy removal/disruption for most of the non-creature package, and fit in Dark Depths.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think the strongest shell for Vampires is indeed the Dark Depths deck. I run an "Eva Green" inspired Vampire Depths so I can utilize Living Wish to tutor up not only Hexmage, Dark Depths, but also Malakir Bloodwitch (which is slightly better in my meta - lots of Death and Taxes around).

Also, Living Wish can get Volrath's Stronghold and Karakas vs Reanimator. I can't imagine a better Vampire deck than this.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Not right now, there aren't enough quality Vampires. It could be competitive in the sense that a lot of the lower tier decks in the Established Decks Forum are competitive, but that's it.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see WotC continue to push the tribal theme, so it could certainly be competitive in the future. Unlike other tribes, a black tribal theme would have access to a lot of removal and disruption, so it has that going for it against control and combo. And abilities like flying, lifelink, and deathtouch are "in theme" for Vampires, which would give it a relative advantage on aggro decks where traditional Suicide Black builds would have fallen short. But until there are more quality Vampires printed, this is all just idle speculation.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

There's nothing in your 'tribal threats' list that I would want to play over any card from your 'non-tribal threats' list, except maybe Bloodghast because he recurs so easily. So... no. Vampires are miserable.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Vampires are strong enough to see play in Legacy. But there is no 3CC or less Vampire synergy. So just play the best ones (namely Gatekeeper and Nighthawk) and avoid to commit too strongly into Vampires.

Merfolk and goblin both have numerous tribal synergies, card advantage, a playable one-drop, and good finishers. Of these, you can use Confidant for draw and Nocturnus for the finish, but you lack the synergies and a playable one-drop.

You'll just have to wait until they come out with more cards, plain and simple.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

It just needs a few more lords and in-tribe card drawing would be excellent. If only dark confidant were a vampire...

It opens up a whole new demographic though...hand a girl a foiled out vampire deck, say it's called "Sparkly Vampires" and every tween girl will be playing legacy.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Problem is there's only Hexmage, Gatekeeper, Bloodghast, and Nighthawk as even remotely playable vampires. So the theme if you wanted to keep it tribal becomes subpar as soon as you have more than those and even these only have a passing ability to help each other out. There's no synergy at all between them.

Merfolk and Goblins work only because they have so many good choices that are practically busted when placed in a tribal environment. Vampires have none of this natural buildup going on as those two tribes do. Putting a Hexmage, nighthawk or gatekeeper out doesn't help out the others, they just are playable. Putting playable goblins together becomes incrementally better as you go.

Maybe if they print some better ones that help out more when they are played together, it might be possible then. Until then, it's not going to happen. There just isn't enough good ones. Though there is a mono-B control list running around that runs Gatekeepers and Nighthawks. It's not bad at all. You might give that a shot if you just feel the need to play Vampires no matter what.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Random question: Why does the wording on Vampire Nocturnus say "... Vampire Nocturnus and other Vampire creatures you control"?

Couldn't it just say "Vampire creatures you control"? Is this just to let noobs know for sure that it does in fact pump itself?

Dec 2009
    Iowa CIty, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Random question: Why does the wording on Vampire Nocturnus say "... Vampire Nocturnus and other Vampire creatures you control"?

Couldn't it just say "Vampire creatures you control"? Is this just to let noobs know for sure that it does in fact pump itself?
    If the ability read "Vampire Creatures you control...BLAHBLAHBLAH", then if Nocturnus's creature type changed he wouldn't pump himself. Right now he pumps himself regardless of his own creature type.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Where would we be without your detective work? Saving space on my monitor, one pixel at a time!

Also, at OP: wtf is utility? Like if that word is even a category of magic cards, you would expect to find the swiss army knives of black. Like charms where you choose 3 things or whatever. But instead it's like: utility: dark ritual.

Is utility just a blanket word now for cards that aren't anything else?

Thread Information