View Poll Results: If I have $100 to blow right now, what should I do?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a playset of Survival and turn your Elf deck into something better.

21 28.77%
  • Since you are playing Quinn, why not finish Enchantress (and start a church for the Elgin brothers)

8 10.96%
  • Since you have the pieces for D&T, why not finish building it?

10 13.70%
  • Buy something else - (insert suggestions here)

17 23.29%
  • Save the $100

17 23.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deckbuilding Dilemma...

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: Deckbuilding Dilemma...

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I'm a firm believer in buying good manabases. If you decide it needs to go to cards, this is where it's at. I suggest fetchlands since Duals will quickly eat up $100 and fetches will support a lot of decks just running basics. If anything, fetches are the next thing to chase the prices of the duals in my opinion.
    I agree with this notion, although I don't think that their prices will rise nearly as quickly.

I said this on another site:

I think fetchlands are even more important than duals--any deck that runs duals will want to run fetches, but the opposite is not necessarily true. Whereas duals only fix your manabase, fetchlands give you other interesting effects (shuffling, graveyard filler, deck thinning). Of the competitive decks that use dual lands, every one that I can think of except for Canadian Threshold typically runs more fetches than duals (8 vs. 6): this list includes Countertop, Zoo (and Goyf Sligh), Aggro Loam, Bant Survival, ANT, Reanimator, Dreadstill, UW Tempo, every Suicide Black variant (Eva Green, Team America), and most Landstill builds. I suppose 43 Lands usually runs slightly more than duals than fetches (5 or 6 vs. 4), but if you're still acquiring staples, I doubt that's a concern for you.

Fortunately, they're also a lot cheaper than dual lands, so I would get them first, although you don't necessarily need a full set of 40 because some of them are redundant. On the other hand, dual lands are more likely to continue rising in price than fetches are, so that would be one reason why you might want to grab duals first.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

DnT is a great deck. I'd certainly buy it if it only cost me a $100 to finish it. I always feel really comfortable playing with it.

Then again, I agree with dahcmai. The trend is that Legacy prices are going up. You might as well get some duals now before they go up again.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Your life total: 4, My life total: 20
    Jul 2008

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    Please stop posting, I hate hearing your words.
    Leave him alone man. I wasn't keen on him at first, but he's the source's official budget mascot, you can't hate him. He represents an important minority in the legacy community, and I want descriptive representation, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The first time I heard of the site, I went to www.thesource.com and was greeted with a full-page picture of some thug pointing a gun at me. I immediately realised that Legacy was the most hardcore format ever.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by FoulQ View Post
    Leave him alone man. I wasn't keen on him at first, but he's the source's official budget mascot, you can't hate him. He represents an important minority in the legacy community, and I want descriptive representation, dammit!
    He's asked at least three times in the UW Tempo thread if the deck works without Tundras/Force of Wills/Jittes....

Frankly if you want a budget deck, you have to make it from the ground up. You can't just budgetefy a deck. And then if you really want to be competitive, you have to be willing to pull out some cash. There are only a few remotely competitive budget decks and they're all noticeably worse than the pretty mediocre non-budget tier 2 decks. But even though they're a lot worse than the non-budget decks (that should be obvious), they're still better than the competitive decks that are stripped of their best cards.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm throwing in my lot with either NO/Progenitus or Fetches. They do a body good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by FoulQ View Post
    I think I found a new tag!

All jokes aside, I agree that when it comes to Legacy deck building, budget alternatives should be considered. I know a lot of Standard players are complaining about the price of Legacy and I also believe that its bogus but there are other players there as well that would rather play Legacy because of both budget reasons and knowing that your card won't be useless in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    He's asked at least three times in the UW Tempo thread if the deck works without Tundras/Force of Wills/Jittes....

Frankly if you want a budget deck, you have to make it from the ground up. You can't just budgetefy a deck. And then if you really want to be competitive, you have to be willing to pull out some cash. There are only a few remotely competitive budget decks and they're all noticeably worse than the pretty mediocre non-budget tier 2 decks. But even though they're a lot worse than the non-budget decks (that should be obvious), they're still better than the competitive decks that are stripped of their best cards.
    In fairness, I've only asked if the deck would be okay with Tundra alternatives (either basics or Hallowed Fountain). I have A playset of FoWs and a couple of Jittes.

But I tried getting staples (unfortunately I didnt get any duals).

But yes, I totally understand your point of view. Not complaining or anything but you make a real good point.

Besides, the point of the thread isn't about budget. The point of the thread is about collection building Legacy-wise.

Thanks for the input though!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information