Thread: [Article] Too Much Information - StarCityGames.com Legacy Open: Atlanta

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

[Article] Too Much Information - StarCityGames.com Legacy Open: Atlanta

Too Much Information - StarCityGames.com Legacy Open: Atlanta by Jared Silva

Again, analysis of the last SCG Legacy Open, match-up by match-up. Some really intriguing numbers there, such as ANT going 0-2 against Goblins and 0-3 against Lands. That, and while Merfolk builds seem to have shored up their Zoo MU somewhat, it seems the same tools don't work against Goblins; the match-up appears completely atrocious, as traditional wisdom suggests. Of course, this data alone isn't large enough to base conclusions on, but it's yet another link in the chain of results for more comprehensive analysis.

Re: [Article] Too Much Information - StarCityGames.com Legacy Open: Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Too Much Information - StarCityGames.com Legacy Open: Atlanta by Jared Silva

Again, analysis of the last SCG Legacy Open, match-up by match-up. Some really intriguing numbers there, such as ANT going 0-2 against Goblins and 0-3 against Lands. That, and while Merfolk builds seem to have shored up their Zoo MU somewhat, it seems the same tools don't work against Goblins; the match-up appears completely atrocious, as traditional wisdom suggests. Of course, this data alone isn't large enough to base conclusions on, but it's yet another link in the chain of results for more comprehensive analysis.
    Read it again... I think the numbers are backwards (in the Lands section, the numbers represent how well Ad Nauseum does against Lands)
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    Read it again... I think the numbers are backwards (in the Lands section, the numbers represent how well Ad Nauseum does against Lands)
    No, Eldariel read it right I think.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    No, Eldariel read it right I think.
    The text and the composite percentages confirm this. May be worth checking up with Silva, but it sure seems this way.

What the fuck is "Jedi Emreka"? Some Naya deck using Lotus Cobra, Eureka, and Emrakul or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The text and the composite percentages confirm this. May be worth checking up with Silva, but it sure seems this way.
    It's possible that at least some portion of the Land matchup can be explained by the Lands pilots running a substantial amount of hate for the matchup.

@ Aggro-zombies: UG Deck using Eureka/Show and Tell to put Progenitus/Emrakul into play, with Force backup.

I just want to say that Jared is doing a spectacular job. This data is incredibly insightful. Interesting that CounterTop NO continues to be about a 62% match winner, yet it doesn't seem to be putting players into the Top 8 very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    It's possible that at least some portion of the Land matchup can be explained by the Lands pilots running a substantial amount of hate for the matchup.

Oh wow then, I just assumed it was flipped.

What are Lands decks boarding in now? 4 Chalice of the Void was the old hate.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    Oh wow then, I just assumed it was flipped.

What are Lands decks boarding in now? 4 Chalice of the Void was the old hate.
    It's only three matches.

It could be that in one of the matches the Ad Nauseam pilot was just terrible and punted. It could be that in one of the other matches the Land pilot was super duper prepared with alot of hate. And it could be that in the other match the ANT got a game loss and then lost one of the other three games due to being on the draw and getting Chaliced.

We don't know. But I wouldn't read alot into three matches.

Here they are, from the spreadsheet:
    1 Blackwelder, Nolan D Blue Land Won 2 1 0 Chambers, Justin Ad Nauseam
    2 Woltereck, Chris E Blue Land Hexmage Depths Won 2 1 0 Mann, Matthew Ad Nauseam
    3 Blackwelder, Nolan D Blue Land Won 2 1 0 Mann, Matthew Ad Nauseam

Note that two of the ANT losses to Land were by the same pilot, Matthew Mann and that two of the Lands wins where with the same pilot Th

The two time loser, Matthew Mann, beat BG in the first round and then lost rounds 2 and 3 to Lands. He dropped from the tournament, so we don't know how good he was with ANT.

Justin lost 1-2 to Zoo in round 3, after beating BG Ld i round 2, and then beat Doomsday in rnd 4, losing to Survival in rnd 5 before dropping.

Nolan Blackwelder beat ANT in round 1 and 3, so it's very likely that he had alot of ANT Hate.

This was not hard information to find. It was in the spreadsheet in the article.

You people are so effing lazy!!!!!!

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

You people are so effing lazy!!!!!!
    Laziness is far less pressure. It's much easier to just ignore all logic and assume that from this miniscule sampling of data that Lands is like 90-10 against ANT and go from there.

In actuality though, I'm going with pilot error. On a broad scale. One of my teammates managed to 2-1 ANT with Zoo in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Laziness is far less pressure. It's much easier to just ignore all logic and assume that from this miniscule sampling of data that Lands is like 90-10 against ANT and go from there.

In actuality though, I'm going with pilot error. On a broad scale. One of my teammates managed to 2-1 ANT with Zoo in the first round.
    there is no reason to go with just one possible explanation when it's likely that there are multiple. the fact that only 4 people were involved in these three matches explains alot, actually.

it doesn't take much to dig into the data and see what I just pulled out.

that's why Jared Sylva does this: to inform the Legacy community. if you all don't take advantaeg of it, then whats the point?

that's why Jared Sylva does this: to inform the Legacy community. if you all don't take advantaeg of it, then whats the point?
    You know what boards you're on, right?

Why use incomplete data to partially explain things when we can argue in generalities and best-case goldfishes and then hop on MWS to get all our testing results? Assumptions are so much easier than thinking.

The two time loser, Matthew Mann, beat BG in the first round and then lost rounds 2 and 3 to Lands. He dropped from the tournament, so we don't know how good he was with ANT.
    Yes we do.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    Yes we do.
    I've gotta admit, I laughed my ass off when I read that.

Thread Information