Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deckbuilder's Kit

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: Look Mom! Another Cashgrab!

I think it's a good idea. I would have loved this back when I started. If all of them give you cards like what was in this box, this is a great idea. I would recommend any new player pick one up. Lightning bolts, Duress, Giant Growth and most of the other cards are just flat useful and not really filler. It's filler crap to us since we have large collections and only play hard core decks, but to a person learning and only playing tabletop magic, this is a godsend.

Lots of land, a small box to put your cards in, tips on deck building, and a good assortment of actually useful cards? Is anyone seriously bashing this? Sure, any tournament player will have no use, but it's damned good for new players. It's really useful for a starting player who has none of the usual chaff people toss when they draft. Even better is it forces new players to build decks with cards that are already half decent. Ok, craw Wurm isn't great, but I remember playing with that thing thinking it was awesome when it came out too. So even Craw wurm serves a purpose.

Just because you can't use it and could care less about what's in it doesn't make it a bad idea at all. It's a damned good way to get some generally decent stuff into the hands of people who aren't going to know better. It's a hell of a lot better than what new players have to deal with now, which is getting the leftovers of drafts, whatever the store doesn't mind giving away, or leftovers of packs people didn't care about. So with that in mind, new players are playing with the absolute worst cards possible. This is nice to see they will have something to get a better start off of.

I don't expect new players to automatically start building Merfolk or Dredge and play amazingly well. They need to have that time period where they play with friends and get used to the game in friendly tabletop games. It's way more fun and that's where you learn the game in a no so competitive environment. I would not want anyone I had just taught the game to go into tournaments right off the bat. It's discouraging and degrading to them to toss them into the pit and fight it out being beat over and over again. Have some good friendly games where you teach them and they will stick with it. Everybody was at the point at one time.

It's well worth it's price to a new player. Cashgrab? Pffft, more like let's see how many jaded tournament players won't see past their nose while helping people who need it program.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I don't know if any of you remember it, but during 4th edition they had a two-player intro pack, that came with two semi-random decks. It may even have been non-random. Either way, that was a great tool for those of us just getting interested in the game at the time, or if we wanted to teach other people how to play. This is in the same vein, and I think its a great idea for Wizards to expand their play base.

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I don't know if any of you remember it, but during 4th edition they had a two-player intro pack, that came with two semi-random decks. It may even have been non-random. Either way, that was a great tool for those of us just getting interested in the game at the time, or if we wanted to teach other people how to play. This is in the same vein, and I think its a great idea for Wizards to expand their play base.
    Agreed. When I first saw someone playing the game and they taught me the basics I went out and bought 20 some odd packs of homelands (frown town) and was dissapointed that I couldn't even build decks because of land. I picked one of those intro packs up and was a happy Nub. These are nothing but good for the game.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I learned the hard way with Legends, Fallen Empires, and packs of The Dark. What a rough start I had. Though I did experience the awesomeness of being a nub and playing with Underworld Dreams against people just as bad. What a horrible card to play on people back then. I remember the revised box set, but never had one. I didn't like white bordered cards back then either.

Thread Information