Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget deck compilation.

Budget deck compilation.

I was wondering if there was a list anywhere on the forums of budget decks that are at least semi-viable in Legacy.

A bunch of my friends just started playing Magic and all want to start playing Legacy, and instead of trying to suggest them all a deck, I'd like to just show them a list of lower-budget (no more than around $150) decks for them to start out with.

If there's not a list, I guess I can start making a list in this post, but I'll wait to see if there already is one.

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

Re: Budget deck compilation.

I don't think there is an exact list but there are about 500 threads that have the same question in them.

Some decks:
    Dredge
    Merfolk
    Dragon Stompy
    Burn

150$ is really tight, you may be able to aquire these decks for that, but that needs a lot of card hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Well you can expect whatever you want but you'd only expect what you said if you were retarded.

Merfolk you can't get at 150. Wastelands and forces alone are more than that. Same thing for goblins.

Dragon stompy you could pick up with a lot of hunting at those prices, and dredge for sure. But seriously, 150 is less than t2 Jund.

I think this is fairly close to comprehensive, but feel free to add to it if I forgot anything...

Quinn
    Belcher
    Pox
    Noetic Scales Stax
    Armageddon Stax
    Aggro Elves
    Combo Elves
    Monored Sligh
    Death and Taxes
    Affinity
    The Gate
    Natural Order
    Mono Blue Control
    Mono Black Control
    Mono Black Reanimator
    Fairies
    High Tide
    Goblins
    Ad-Nauseum Tendrils
    Dredge
    Merfolk
    Dragon Stompy
    Burn

Some of these are not super competitive but they're fun. Others will require slight modification to get them under $150. In some drastic cases (ie. Merfolk), you may have to replace FoWs with Spell Pierces and make your deck weaker, but still playable.

They don't have to be top tier material. Just anything that could kinda sorta compete in Legacy.

I was thinking more like:

Elves Combo/aggro
    Vial Affinity
    LEDless Dredge
    Kors/Soldiers
    Burn
    etc...

Super cheap stuff that doesn't have to be tier 1-1.5, but still has a shot at winning a few games.

Really I just can't handle 5 people all telling me to "help me build a Legacy deck" so I thought maybe there was already a list of budget decks out there. It'd make it way easier on me just to say here, look at this list of decks and pick what deck you like the most.

edit: Armageddon Stax budget? Really? Doesn't it run like 4 Mox Diamond, 4 City of Traitors, and 4 Wasteland?

Thanks for the lists though, I'll start gathering links together to decklists.

A little offtopic, but Goblins isn't as expensive as I thought it would be. My friend picked up all the pieces except AEther Vial and Wasteland for around $170.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Reanimator isnt exactly budget... A playset of Entomb alone could cost you $100

A good budget deck in legacy will cost you $200. Thats not bad considering you need at least $200 to play standard.

But if you really want a $150 budget, I'd suggest LEDless Ichorid or Burn. Its about there.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Kobolds combo, I think is cheap enough. I might be wrong though, it does run multiple gaea's cradle.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Exospaciac View Post
    A bunch of my friends just started playing Magic and all want to start playing Legacy...
    Ehh, do you guys really think Dredge is a good deck for people new to Magic?

So, are they (your friends) just going to play against each other or are they planning to enter competitive tournaments (if yes, how competitive is the tournament scene)?

I would suggest mainly aggro decks for beginning players, like Sligh (of course, with no Tarmo . . . maybe mono red), Elves, or maybe even a cheap Sui-Black variant.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to de-power some tier 1 or 1.5 decks since the fundamental basis of most decks, even those tier 2, are expensive cards. I don't think there's such a thing as a blue deck without Force of Will and most mono-coloured aggro decks pack Wasteland. So that brings me back to my question of which environment these decks are expected to function.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    I think this is fairly close to comprehensive, but feel free to add to it if I forgot anything...

Quinn
    Belcher
    Pox
    Noetic Scales Stax
    Armageddon Stax
    Aggro Elves
    Combo Elves
    Monored Sligh
    Death and Taxes
    Affinity
    The Gate
    Natural Order
    Mono Blue Control
    Mono Black Control
    Mono Black Reanimator
    Fairies
    High Tide
    Goblins
    Ad-Nauseum Tendrils
    Dredge
    Merfolk
    Dragon Stompy
    Burn

Some of these are not super competitive but they're fun. Others will require slight modification to get them under $150. In some drastic cases (ie. Merfolk), you may have to replace FoWs with Spell Pierces and make your deck weaker, but still playable.
    man, i dont know what deck lists you think make those decks, but when i think Monoblack control, I think Sinkhole and Wastelands. Armageddon Stax and I think Mox Diamond with either Baneslayer or Knight of the Reliquary FTW. Faeries and merfold both need FoW. ANT and Dredge really could use LED.

@Exospaciac I have a Stax deck, and looking it over at AMC, it's worth ~$600.

I don't think you can build a viable legacy deck for much under $200. and if you want a top tier budget deck...well then you've got a problem. It's not going to happen.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

My best advice to someone starting legacy, is to play on Magic Workstation first (build them some Workstation decks they can toy around with), get familiar with the format and then attempt to build a deck based on their style of play and what they enjoyed playing the most.

Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    man, i dont know what deck lists you think make those decks, but when i think Monoblack control, I think Sinkhole and Wastelands. Armageddon Stax and I think Mox Diamond with either Baneslayer or Knight of the Reliquary FTW. Faeries and merfold both need FoW. ANT and Dredge really could use LED.

@Exospaciac I have a Stax deck, and looking it over at AMC, it's worth ~$600.

I don't think you can build a viable legacy deck for much under $200. and if you want a top tier budget deck...well then you've got a problem. It's not going to happen.
    It's far better to build a good deck with a few suboptimal card choices that you can upgrade later, versus building a crappy deck that won't compete and can't be upgraded to be competitive/tier one.

Monoblack Control usually runs stuff like Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Nev's Disks and Mutilates, not stuff like Wasteland and Sinkhole. Pox variants work fine with Smallpox, Innocent Blood, Pox, Noetic Scales, Hymn, Unburden, Phyrexian Arena, Wretched Banquet, Necrogen Mists, Raven's Crime, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Chimeric Idol, Phyrexian Totem, Mishra's Factories, The Rack etc, they don't need Sinkhole and Wasteland.

Geddon Stax doesn't NEED Baneslayer Angel or a green splash with Knight, it will be perfectly functional with Battlegrace Angel

Dredge doesn't need LED, Tireless Tribe (LEDless Dredge) will keep it 100% functional. ANT needs LED more, but it's still not unplayable without it.

FoW really helps Merfolk and Fairies, but it can be upgraded to later. For a starting point, Spell Pierce in FoW's place will still keep the deck functional.

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Geddon Stax needs geddon or ravages of war, mox diamond, and trinisphere.
    I'd say you could build a fae deck. Pox is definitely possible (w/o LD ofc). Suicide Black anyone (nosplash)? How about any aggro deck in general? I mean, yes, aether vial does cost a lot but it comes with the territory. Lol @ unburden.
    How about affinity? It's pretty powerful, taking a different angle on the format, and can be upgraded with FOW.
    I'd definitely try and keep it mono-colored and splashes come later due to fetches+duals costing insane amounts of money.
    How about a really junky solidarity list?
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

In my list i meant to type spring tide, not high tide. I laughed at unburden too when it was suggested to me. But it turned out to be an awesome way to supplement hymn, the rack and noetic scales. You needed more hymn effects for consistency but they suck mid-late game when your opponent is in topdeck mode, not unburden though.

Geddon can be had on eBay for $1.50-2 each according to magictraders.org

Trinis are under $3 each. Use gixen.com to get better prices

It's IMHO foolish to build the deck with ravages of war and tabernacles when versions that instead play a playset of geddon and magus of tabernacle perform just as well.

The only pricy cards the deck needs are mox diamond (a playset would cost $60), crucible and city of traitors (about $8 each) everything else is cheap, so the deck can just barely be built for around $150-180. If you need to you can even play crystal vein instead of 2 or even all 4 city of traitors. It has some advantages over city of traitors even (it actually sticks around if you're willing to tap it for 1 mana whereas city dies when you draw or play another land, but you can tap it for two to cast geddon or cast crucible which is what you often use city for anyways.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Where is a playset of mox diamonds 60.00? Where can you get city of traitors for 8.00?

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

There is a pretty cheap version of SI that plays SSG instead of Chrome Mox for Burning Wish. The only really expensive cards then are 1 Bayou, 4 LED, and 4 Cruel Bargain. LEDs are modular between all storm combo, and Bayou can go in a few other competitive decks. Bargains don't really fit anywhere else though. If anyone is interested, I'll post a list.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

crucible and city of traitors (about $8 each)
    I'll tell you what, I'll give you $10 a piece for every City you sell me. Make it $15.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

The only pricy cards the deck needs are mox diamond (a playset would cost $60)
    What fantasy land do you live in where Mox Diamond is $60/playset? You'd be extremely lucky to even get two of them for that price. Hell, these days even two Wastelands will run you $60.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Yup. I've seen places selling Diamond for 60 a piece. Please disclose how we can get to this fantasy world. I'd like to make some money.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Jesus, 60 apiece already? Weren't we just freaking out about them being 40 just a few weeks ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

I bought them for around $50 for a playset about an year ago sniping on gixen.com. It's interesting that the the prices for Mox Diamond have skyrocketed so much since then, no new decks have popped up that use the card since then, and even the decks that use Mox Diamond have actually gotten weaker, not stronger.

Thread Information