1. Intro
    2. History
    3. List
    4. Card Selevtion
    5. Sideboard Choices
    6. Matchup Analysis
    7. Credits

1. Introduction
    U.G.w. Tempo or “Tempo Bant” is an aggro control deck designed to win through the use of tempo, redundancy, and card selection.

Since there are plenty of archetypes and people that miss-use the term Tempo, we should probably explain it, so you have a complete understanding of how this archetype really functions. Tempo, is something you obtain when you stop your opponent from casting relevant spells and developing like they normally would; while you continue to develop like normal, and improve your board position. “How!” you might ask, “can you accomplish this task of developing and denying at the same time?” This list develops tempo by abusing synergies with Noble Hierarch. The synergy between Noble Hierarch, Daze, Wasteland and, to a lesser extent, Spell Pierce, along with all the efficient creatures, are the tools that you will use to gain such tempo.

Now you might ask “Why play this instead of other archetypes, like Canadian Thresh?” Other archetypes in Legacy attempt to gain tempo through slowing an opponents development down with cards like stifle and wasteland. "Wasting" someones land doesn't generate tempo by itself, because you haven't developed your mana-base with the land you have played; However, with the addition of Noble Hierarch you are able to continue to develop your mana base, while attacking your opponents at the same time. The same "basic" principles can be applied to the counter-magic suite for this archetype.

Another key difference in this tempo deck is the lack of the blue instant Stifle. I'm sure your thinking I must be crazy to not auto-include this in a blue based tempo deck, but calm down junior! Your answer awaits you. The theory goes a little something like this. The worst thing a tempo deck can do is hold Stifle mana open and not have a fetch-land to Stifle. Your opponent just gains tempo on you because you did nothing on your turn hoping they would pop a fetch-land.

This brings us to our major difference between other Tempo archetypes and Tempo Bant; value. U.G.w Tempo strives to not only bring a strong tempo game, it also attempts to be as efficient for the costs as possible, while retaining card value over a longer period of time. That may sound like cheese to you, but rest assure that those decks playing “one trick pony” cards like stifle, nimble mongoose, or submerge, which only have value for a certain time-frame, or in a favorable board position. Without it; those archetypes suffer drastically. U.G.w Tempo does not share the same problem, as the card values of this Archetype are rarely cards you don't want to draw. When combined with 8 cantrips the deck virtually tutors for what it needs, so you have good cards, all the time.

Anyways back to the game-plan. As you have an increasing number of resources comparatively to your opponents decreasing number throughout the game; you continue to apply pressure "or a clock" with lots of creatures that are mana efficient and have strong utility. The Exalted mechanic has a lot to do with the efficiency of this deck's attack step. Your creatures generally have more value in this deck than in others because of all the exalted triggers and secondary abilities.

2. History

I'll be as brief as possible as this is not very relevant. U.G.w Tempo began as a concept deck in October 2009 at the Mean Deck Open. Paul Kim and Spencer Hayes are the decks creators; and relentlessly tested the deck for 6-8 months before taking a brake from the format. Since then I have piloted the deck with great success at small events and large ones.

Doug Lynn and Spencer Hayes did an article on the archetype. I think it's about as good as it gets for articles on the Legacy format.
    Click Here

A few tournament reports I wrote

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here<-- Newest Report

3. The List

Lands 19
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Flooded Strand
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Tundra
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Savannah
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    4x Wasteland

Creatures 18
    4x Noble Hierarch
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Rhox War Monk
    3x Knight of the Reliquary

Permission 11
    4x Force of Will
    4x Daze
    3x Spell Pierce

Draw/Kantrip 8
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder

Removal 4
    4x Swords to Plowshares

4. Card selection

Mana-base- The base is structured to suit daze, while playing about as safe of a configuration against opposing denial strategies and giving you as many colored sources as possible. 6 Fetches is pretty standard against stifle, 2 basics is bare minimum against wasteland, and 7 duals is pretty standard to give you the most “bang for your buck.” Noble Hierarch is the real reason this archetype can get away with running 4 wasteland.

You may notice the original base looked like this

2 misty
    2 flooded
    2 windswept
    3 tundra
    3 trop
    1/1/1 basic of each color
    4 wasteland.
    I found after extensive testing that the extra basic was a little too much; and basic island was becoming a colorless source the more I played with it. You never want to draw hands of double wasteland, or wasteland island go. Therefore; cut the island, fixed the fetches, and added a savannah, so it would be a bit more difficult to hate directly on the base. Your slightly more prone to extirpate on windswept; but thats quite unlikely, and usually a bad play against you anyways.

Qasali Pridemage- triple utility. A stand alone threat which helps break stalemates with exalted. deals with pesky artifacts and enchantments. Multi-pridemage openings usually result in complete blowouts. Said by many to be the best creature in the deck.

Rhox Warmonk- Incredibly efficient and synergistic with exalted triggers. Creates bow-out scenarios. Pitches to force; rarely ever a dead card.

Knight of the Reliquary- The big daddy of the deck, like many others is quite useful at breaking stalemates because of his huge power creep. Also is a temporary “waste-lock” which keeps opponents shenanigans daze and spell pierce-able.

Spell Pierce- Stops opponents from casting stuff that not only kills your dudes, but also stops them from doing much of anything else other than making their own dudes; coincidentally your dudes eat theirs anyways. Phenomenal tempo control-counter. Establish your plan, while prohibiting theirs.

Brainstorm/ Ponder 8 Kantrips- Allows for as much allowable redundancy as a tempo deck can reasonably get away with. Acts as a filter early game, and a tutor late. Pitches to force.

Cards that almost made the cut

Vendillion Clique- Most efficient flyer for the cost in Bant colors. Kicked on ability almost always good, either trades with larger critters I.E. Tombstalker because of exalted triggers, or opponents become victims rather quickly. We like to call him flying goyf. Was eventually cut due to the dominance of the Zoo archetype.

5. Side-boarding choices

The sideboard is clearly highly interchangeable based on your preconcieved metagame. General sideboards include the following

Some combination of blasts, paths, gy removal, pithing needle, etc. My current sideboard looks like this for my metagame.
    2 blue elemental blast
    1 hydroblast
    3 path to exile
    3 Ethersworn Cannonist
    2 relic of progenitus
    1 Bajuka Bog
    3 Pithing Needle
    6. Matchup Analysis
    Matchup Analysis

Goblins
    This is one of the worst matchups for Tempo Bant. Applying constant pressure and protecting your threats is absolutely key. They have good removal in the form of Incinerator. Preboard. Also keep in mind you can very easily get swarmed early. Cards that matter: Gempalm Incinerator, Lackey, Piledriver, Warchief's. You need to side in additional blasts, paths, and perhaps 2 needle if you can squeeze it in.

Post board you need to watch for things like pyrokinesis, perish, and other goodies. Keep this in mind keep strong aggresive hands and you should be alright post board.

Merfolk
    Another not fun matchup. Merfolk is in their favor preboard and should be shored up post. Staying aggressive against their alpha is again key. Forcing them to make bad blocks, and keep them on the backfoot especially preboard is essential. Cards that matter: Lord's, Jitte.

Post board you even the matchup out with the additional paths. Before I was siding in EE, but since it's been removed theres no blowout play against them (ee at 2.) Some versions run Perish, some versions opt for jitte and mind harness. submerge was seen as well. Be aware, and don't trade the last of your gas for the last of theirs without know your ripping gas and you should be fine. Be prepared against commander. It's usually the card that the match comes down to.

Dredge
    it's something like 20-80 preboard. Ouch! I've won once in the many games i've played sanctioned preboard, but he mull'd aggresively. Relivent cards: Breakthrough, Tireless Tribe, Cabal Therapy.

Post board you bring in some combination of graveyard hate. Knight into bog is an auto tilt for them. Staying aggressive is once again key. Siding in Path for stp is relivent.

Tendrills
    Tendrills combo is a solid matchup based on your countermagic suite. You usually have just enough to get there preboard. If all else fails remember that STP can gain you life if you nuke your own goyf. Post board you need to side in the cannonists, and if you see B wish and rite, it's probobly a good idea to find spots for those as well.

7. Credits

Obvious dues to the decks creators Paul Kim and Spencer Hayes. Thanks to Doug Linn for the article. Thanks to all you people out there who took time to read this thing. Thanks to Jak for an outline of his primer on Bant Survival. Thanks to all of my friends IRL who listen to me blab about this deck constantly. You are all greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mossivo1986; 12-29-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: W_Tempo_Threshhold

Why isn't this just another take on Bant Aggro? Yes, it has Wasteland, yes it has 2 Knight of the Reliquary instead of 2 Rhox War Monk, but the basic principle of the deck seems similar to Bant Aggro.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Dr. Edge
    Sep 2008
    Boston, MA

Knight's ability and STPs are hardly considered 'tempo'

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

You dare to call this deck "Tempo" without Stifle? Hell, this is just plain and simple Bant Aggro with 4 Wastelands.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

'White Thresh' should contain the following cards:

4 Wasteland
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

Optional:
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    Mana Tithe
    Force Spike
    Spell Pierce
    Spell Snare

The problem with White Thresh is that you can't really use either Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. So I'm uncertain what you should fit in the removal slot. It seems strictly worse than Canadian.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post

4 Wasteland
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

Optional:
    2 Vendilion Clique
    Mana Tithe
    Force Spike
    Spell Pierce
    Spell Snare

The problem with White Thresh is that you can't really use either Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. So I'm uncertain what you should fit in the removal slot. It seems strictly worse than Canadian.

And 4 Qasali Pridemage.

My take on white thresh is swaping fire/ice and lightning bolt for swords and qasali. But the sideboard is bad compared with the red thresh one.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Obviously there are some different cards, but how would you differentiate this deck from New Horizons?

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Why isn't this just another take on Bant Aggro? Yes, it has Wasteland, yes it has 2 Knight of the Reliquary instead of 2 Rhox War Monk, but the basic principle of the deck seems similar to Bant Aggro.
    -Skeggi

Explanation:
    The basic gameplan of Tempo Bant is to play out an early attacker and utilize cards like Daze and Wasteland to increase its mana advantage. It then can ramp into a card like Knight of the Reliquary or Vendilion Clique. Both, while seemingly costing three mana, functionally often cost much more in Legacy because the player is holding up mana to protect against Daze, Spell Pierce an opponent or cast Brainstorm to find cards. Often, one big attacker (or three Exalted creatures on the board) will quickly end the game.
    -Doug Linn

If your going to compare this deck to Bant aggro then I think it's only fair that you distinguish that bant aggro uses counterbalance/ top as a means to lock an opponent out, and in doing so sacrifices the idea of a tempo plan in order to give itself a potential soft lock. Also the nombo that is counterbalance+daze in that deck should be recognized as well.

Knight's ability and STPs are hardly considered 'tempo'
    -Stacker

Explanation

Check out New Horizon's

You dare to call this deck "Tempo" without Stifle? Hell, this is just plain and simple Bant Aggro with 4 Wastelands.
    -Julian23

So what your asking me is why is this deck called a tempo deck? I answered that. If your question is why is it called a tempo deck while not running the card stifle, then here is an answer.

Explanation

4 Wasteland
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

Optional:
    2 Vendilion Clique
    Mana Tithe
    Force Spike
    Spell Pierce
    Spell Snare
    -Skeggi

As stated earlier there is no real reasoning behind calling the deck a thresh-deck because it doesn't revolve around obtaining a goal of getting seven cards in the graveyard. With that said the play-style of the deck plays similarly to that of Red thresh and so it was named white thresh.

-Skeggi

You can in fact use STP in tempo decks, that point is invalid and has been explained. Path to exile is apart of the sideboard and should be addressed accordingly. If your quiery is post board play then you should ask yourself "what am I siding out post board against decks that I want to side in path to exile." In that question you will find yourself siding out the tempo plan for a more control plan involving more creature removal and less permission to aid your better creatures. This is how you win creature match-ups.

Exactly how does it seem worse then Thrash?
    -Better creatures (knight, rhox, qasali)
    -Better land-base (basic lands+noble hierarch)
    -Better transition into post-board play (Doesn't need to play a tempo roll in post board play)

Obviously there are some different cards, but how would you differentiate this deck from New Horizons?
    -Jazzykat

Excellent question. New horizons is similar to W_Tempo_Thresh obviously.

The main differences
    Noble Hierarch
    The synergies discussed before make the match-ups substantially different. While both decks play similarly (get a big threat and ride it) noble hierarch not only allows W_Tempo_Thresh to play with wasteland, but plays better against them as well comparatively.
    Spell pierce versus Stifle.
    The reasoning for this has already been covered within this post.
    Qasali Pridemage
    One of the bigger weakness to New Horizon's that i've witnessed and also heard from pilots of the arch-type is that non-creature permanents tend to be a big problem. Most notably Umezawa's Jitte. Qasali pridemage not only serves as THE answer to all things lame that your opponent is doing, but is also widely regarded by the creators as well myself as one of the best creatures in the deck.

There are various other glaring differences to me but i've run out of time to post. I hope this serves as an explanation to you all.

Thread Information