Thread: [article] Legacy's Allure - Making the Upheaval Deck

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

[article] Legacy's Allure - Making the Upheaval Deck

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...aval_Deck.html

Fans of Turboland, rejoice! I put together the shell but now turn it over to the community to come up with an excessively cute way to win : )

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: [article] Legacy's Allure - Making the Upheaval Deck

Excellent work. I like it. I'll give it a try on MWS after finals.

The only thing I was surprised you didn't cover was Crop Rotation. Its potentially 2 extra Landfall triggers if you find a fetchland. It can find plenty of other goodies too like Tabernacle, Wasteland, Karakas..

I really dislike Hedron Crab and Simic Growth Chamber. Crab will certainly eat removal through your 5 countermagic and the I think the benefits of Simic Growth Chamber are outweighed by it being really bad. It comes into play tapped. I don't see extra land fall triggers being that big of a deal when its vulnerable to wasteland and doesn't even tap the turn it comes out.

Also, I question the countermagic approach. Why do you play countermagic? I don't think that 5 countermagic is nearly enough when you are trying to resolve a game winning spell (the opponent will usually have more than 1 protection spell). And 4 Force is pretty easy to play around while playing combo.

Also, sideboard? Whats your plan ATM?
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

April fools was so long ago, I don't get it.

So, assuming this wasn't a troll article, the plan of the deck is to play a lot of lands, but not as efficiently as a lands deck (you know, with powerful cards like Life from the Loam) and with none of the powerhouses like Tabernacle, Maze of Ith, or Mishra's Factory, and then to win through milling by a 0/2 landfall creature, unless someone can come up with a better idea on how to win. In Legacy.

So aside from obvious problems against Zoo, Merfolk, Reanimator, Combo, dredge, and most other decks, what exactly is the purpose of the deck? Seems more to me like that article could have been better summed up as "Hey guys, here's some pet cards that I like, Horn of Greed exploration upheaval, make a deck out of it!"

Dec 2009
    Denmark

I love the old Turbo Land deck. When it was features on Wizards' site 7(?) years ago, my friend used to beat the crap out of everyone with it. Unfortunately, I think it's far from being a viable choice nowadays.

If I had to change something, I would remove the Crabs and find other win conditions. Meloku is really good in this deck since she can act as both a defender, combo enabler and finisher.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

It's certainly possible to hold Crabs until you Upheaval and then play them post-Upheaval.

The shell is really interesting because you can do these really interesting blue effects like Upheaval and Beacon of Tomorrows and such. The advantage of this over LFTL decks is that you don't really rely on the graveyard at all. Upheaval is also, like, really powerful : ) I mentioned in the article that it could adopt Trinisphere and/or Smokestack or other Stax components.

If you're looking for something that's really interesting and provides format-wide questions on how to best make use of all the resources the deck has (and a deck with lots of Landfall triggers is like a mule with a spinning jenny...). If you're looking for bleeding-edge tech that will unseat current top decks. this article probably wasn't for you. If you're looking for yet another article on Reanimator or Lands, then next week will probably not disappoint : \

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

It just seems like eight spots for Upheval/Crab just seems like too much dead stuff in the early game. Why not just get infinite turns and win the game? Additionally, needs more Constant Mists. Even though this deck isn't very serious, Mist-lock can win games on its own.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    April fools was so long ago, I don't get it.

So, assuming this wasn't a troll article, the plan of the deck is to play a lot of lands, but not as efficiently as a lands deck (you know, with powerful cards like Life from the Loam) and with none of the powerhouses like Tabernacle, Maze of Ith, or Mishra's Factory, and then to win through milling by a 0/2 landfall creature, unless someone can come up with a better idea on how to win. In Legacy.

So aside from obvious problems against Zoo, Merfolk, Reanimator, Combo, dredge, and most other decks, what exactly is the purpose of the deck? Seems more to me like that article could have been better summed up as "Hey guys, here's some pet cards that I like, Horn of Greed exploration upheaval, make a deck out of it!"
    The point of the deck is to give your opponent crabs, obviously.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

I had an appendix I deleted that was possible deck names. With Horn of Greed, you can make Horny Crabs.

Did you consider just beating down with Geopedes and Steppe Lynxes instead of Upheavaling?

Also, if you never want to run out of lands, bouncelands are a good way to do it. You have them in the deck but don't really call this out.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Interesting idea but I can't help thinking you are writing about a deck that you and your team has dismissed as T2 at best.

Why are we spending 6 mana to not win the game right away? Combo decks, if they spend 5 mana, will nearly win the game if playing such an expensive card. I looked at the deck and read the article but I am confused on how this deck could turn into something other than causal Legacy.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

I was thinking that was a shit ton of mana you might as well just go old school --> Decree of Justice.
    You would need double white though and I don't see that happening.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:

hahahah this reminds me of how i used to run Mystical tutor in lands with Upheaval in the board for the slooooow matchups like Stax and Enchantress. But, this deck doesn't have the card that makes Upheaval imba for the land player-- Manabond.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Why are we spending 6 mana to not win the game right away? Combo decks, if they spend 5 mana, will nearly win the game if playing such an expensive card. I looked at the deck and read the article but I am confused on how this deck could turn into something other than causal Legacy.
    Combo decks win the game for 5 when their whole deck is built around the one card: they make significant other sacrifices at the very least, besides just paying 5.

This deck is also slightly-upheaval centric. But the comparison isn't quite valid. In any case, it's obvious the deck is bad. I think the creator just wanted to do something silly.

Really, what makes this deck better than even, say, Solidarity?

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Really, what makes this deck better than even, say, Solidarity?
    Thats a pretty hilarious observation. ATM its just a sorcery speed version of Solidarity that wins at a crawling pace.

Thread Information