Thread: Spell copies on the graveyard?

Spell copies in the graveyard?

I have an energy field out and play a grapeshot after playing a bunch of creatures. Do the copies of my grapeshot hit the graveyard and destroy my energy field, giving my opponent a chance to respond lightening bolt me to kill me?
    Last edited by Burr; 05-27-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Re: Spell copies on the graveyard?

Storm triggers when you cast Grapeshot, and creates the copies on the stack on top of the original spell. A copy of a spell is not a card, so a copy of Grapeshot will not trigger Energy Field after it is done resolving. Only the original Grapeshot will, and it's the last one to resolve.
    Level 2 Judge

Quote Originally Posted by luma View Post
    Storm triggers when you cast Grapeshot, and creates the copies on the stack on top of the original spell. A copy of a spell is not a card, so a copy of Grapeshot will not trigger Energy Field after it is done resolving. Only the original Grapeshot will, and it's the last one to resolve.
    Thanks, but for future references, do spell copies hit the graveyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Burr View Post
    Thanks, but for future references, do spell copies hit the graveyard?
    Yes, copies behave like normal spells. Copies of spells or abilities in zones other than the stack cease to exist as a SBA though, much like tokens in zones other than the battlefield.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

But tokens do hit the graveyard. They are removed from the graveyard immediately, but they do hit it. If the copies of a spell functioned in the same way as the tokens, they would hit the graveyard as well. I'm not saying the copies hit the graveyard, just that tokens do.

Right?
    Hill Giant means business.

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    But tokens do hit the graveyard. They are removed from the graveyard immediately, but they do hit it. If the copies of a spell functioned in the same way as the tokens, they would hit the graveyard as well. I'm not saying the copies hit the graveyard, just that tokens do.

Right?
    It's not clear what you're responding to or what your confusion is, but:

The key with Energy Field is that copies are not cards. Tokens aren't cards either.

Energy Field 1U
    Enchantment
    Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you by sources you don't control.
    When a card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, sacrifice Energy Field.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

OK. That is exactly where my confusion was. The fact that it isn't a card is the part of it I was missing. So if, for example, Energy field said Sorcery instead of card, it would trigger. Even though the copies aren't cards, they are still Sorceries.

That's where I was confused it seems.
    Hill Giant means business.

Thread Information